PDA

View Full Version : NFL to Implement Officiating Changes......

MissBuffalo
01-08-2003, 04:40 PM
......but only in the playoffs. How goofy is that??? Obviously it needs to be done throught the season.

Tagliabue: All officials to be in huddle from now on
ESPN.com news services

Upset with the developments at the end of the Giants-49ers game on Sunday, commissioner Paul Tagliabue said Wednesday that the NFL will implement changes in how playoff games are officiated.

Tagliabue discussed the changes Wednesday in an interview with ESPN's Bob Ley. The interview will be aired on SportsCenter throughout the day.

On calls in dispute, the commissioner said, all officials on the field will confer. On Sunday, after the final play of the Giants-49ers game, only those officials directly involved in the play were part of the on-field conference. This change will take place immediately, starting with this weekend's four divisional playoff games.

Tagliabue also said the NFL is looking into changing what officials are looking for on field goal attempts. This change might be implemented later in the postseason.

FULL ARTICLE (http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs02/s/2003/0107/1488896.html)

MissBuffalo
01-08-2003, 04:43 PM
I like this from the article too. Admitting that the call wasn't why they lost the game.

Giants spokesman Pat Hanlon said the team really didn't care.

"At this point, unless someone tells us to get on a plane and go to San Francisco to replay the final play or replay the game, what difference does it make?" Hanlon said Tuesday. "It's unfortunate the guys (officials) made mistakes at the end of the game, but that's not the reason we lost the game."

shelby
01-08-2003, 04:59 PM
i agree, Miss B...there have been way too many mistakes made by officials the past few years.....improvements should be made yesterday.

ArcticWildMan
01-08-2003, 06:14 PM
He forgot the most important change....BRING BACK THE REPLACEMENT REFS!!!!!

WG
01-08-2003, 10:07 PM
Yeah, you're not kidding AWM! Those guys were great.

I'm not sure "what the refs were looking for" on FGs is the issue. The issue may very well be what are they capable of seeing. I think half those guys are either too slow mentally or just flat out blind half the time.

Cntrygal
01-08-2003, 10:11 PM
The commercial where the ref is staring into the microwave while it's cooking something explains it all.

Earthquake Enyart
01-09-2003, 10:47 AM
Just what we need. More official huddling. :shakeno:

The replay guy should be the supervisor to straighten out messes like these.

colin
01-09-2003, 11:19 AM
KILL ALL THE REFS!!!!

ublinkwescore
01-09-2003, 02:22 PM
Or we could kidnap all the refs, and then tie them up in a barn in the middle of nowhere, and let the Philster talk their ears off.