PDA

View Full Version : If Holcomb starts vs. Miami....

OpIv37
10-05-2005, 03:44 PM
This is the team that:

-Kept Bledsoe for 3 mediocre seasons hoping he'd improve
-Started Henry for 6 games last year despite poor performance and a healthy McGahee waiting in the wings
-Refused to fire Gilbride and Williams mid-season despite repeated failures and not learning from their mistakes
-Has neglected the O-line for years and constantly uses the excuse "We have McNally"
- Refused to find a starting-caliber DT when Pat Williams left.

Now, where is all that stubbornness with JP Losman? I can't believe this team is giving up on him after 3 games when are playoff hopes are all but destroyed already.

Also, I'm starting to think that the decision to start JP back when Bledsoe was cut was premature- it was based more on TD's desire to vindicate his decision to use 2005's draft picks on Losman in 2004 than it was on Losman's development as an NFL QB. I don't care if it was Losman and Bledsoe or Losman and Holcomb or someone else, but there should have been a preseason competition for the starting job.

I don't care how this season turns out- I am officially on the "Fire Tom Donahoe" bandwagon.

NJFINSFAN1
10-05-2005, 03:52 PM
Well, I for one would rather face Losman. Holcomb gives you a better chance to win now. He had some big games with the Browns while they had no running game or O-line. This makes me more nervous.

Seems very similar to our team last year with Jay and AJ, AJ stunck up the joint and they kept saying we need to let him learn, well we learned he is not an NFL QB.

What's the old saying, JUST WIN BABY!

justasportsfan
10-05-2005, 03:55 PM
I can't believe this team is giving up on him after 3 games when are playoff hopes are all but destroyed already.

.I don't get it, giving up? Maybe the switch is because we are trying to win. You complain about Jp and now you're complaining about Holcomb? No, sitting down and doing nothing is quitting. Attempting to fix it is doing something about it.

OpIv37
10-05-2005, 03:57 PM
Well, I for one would rather face Losman. Holcomb gives you a better chance to win now. He had some big games with the Browns while they had no running game or O-line. This makes me more nervous.

Seems very similar to our team last year with Jay and AJ, AJ stunck up the joint and they kept saying we need to let him learn, well we learned he is not an NFL QB.

I hear ya on Holcomb maybe giving us a better chance at winning- if that's the case, why wasn't he starting in Week 1? The problem from my POV is that football teams exist to WIN GAMES, not develop QB's. We've already almost elminated ourselves from the playoffs, so it seems like the front office/coaches have decided that developing JP takes precedence over winning, then they pull this BS by benching him. They're not committing to winning OR to developing JP.

OpIv37
10-05-2005, 04:00 PM
I don't get it, giving up? Maybe the switch is because we are trying to win. You complain about Jp and now you're complaining about Holcomb? No, sitting down and doing nothing is quitting. Attempting to fix it is doing something about it.

see my second post in this thread. If the organization is committed to winning and Holcomb is the best chance to do that, why hasn't he been starting? If the org wants to develop JP, why are they benching him?

They're fence-sitting- not committing to a playoff run or to developing JP and it's biting us in the ass.

NJFINSFAN1
10-05-2005, 04:12 PM
I hear ya on Holcomb maybe giving us a better chance at winning- if that's the case, why wasn't he starting in Week 1? The problem from my POV is that football teams exist to WIN GAMES, not develop QB's. We've already almost elminated ourselves from the playoffs, so it seems like the front office/coaches have decided that developing JP takes precedence over winning, then they pull this BS by benching him. They're not committing to winning OR to developing JP.
I can see your point, but I don't think your season is over, if you win this game with Holcomb, you still have a very good chance to contend for the AFC east title.

I think it's to early to pull the plug on your season, get Holcomb in there, see what he does (he is not old), and after say 8 games, if you feel your out of it, then put JP back in.

justasportsfan
10-05-2005, 04:29 PM
see my second post in this thread. If the organization is committed to winning and Holcomb is the best chance to do that, why hasn't he been starting? If the org wants to develop JP, why are they benching him?

They're fence-sitting- not committing to a playoff run or to developing JP and it's biting us in the ass.they needed to see what JP can do first. Would you have thought that Jp would be horrible after the first game? No, not even you.

If this organization is committed to winning? What do you think they are doing, committed to losing? They may not have gone the right way about trying to win but they aren't trying to lose either.

DBrown77
10-05-2005, 04:30 PM
The whole Holcolmb starting thing is smoke IMO.
I think this press conference came up and some media morons dropped their opinion that MM is going to announce that holcomb will start and it got everyone in a frenzy.
MM said nothing about not starting JP and said all week he is going to start him.

JP will start on Sunday, lets lay it to rest

OpIv37
10-05-2005, 05:04 PM
they needed to see what JP can do first. Would you have thought that Jp would be horrible after the first game? No, not even you.

If this organization is committed to winning? What do you think they are doing, committed to losing? They may not have gone the right way about trying to win but they aren't trying to lose either.

My point is that everyone who works for the team from TD on down has spent their entire life around the game of football. The staff and coaches should have had some idea about JP not being ready- if not they're not worth their salaries. Is the goal for this season to win and try to make the playoffs, or is it to develop JP? TD and MM need to make a choice and stick with it because they can't have it both ways.

Personally, I think at this point our chances of making the playoffs are so slim that JP should just play the whole season.

colin
10-05-2005, 05:49 PM
a mistake was made handing jp the starting job.

that is clear now, a young QB has to develope, but JP just isn't ready to develope while playing.

jp is either a much longer term project, or an Effing bust.

holcombe might respond to the change of scenery and play very well, he at least will play OK or sorta bad, which is miles better than JP (seriously, have you ever seen a QB play worse? even when we are running well he sucks).

the mistake of losman starting is being corrected, if we start kelly anyway.

ScottLawrence
10-05-2005, 05:54 PM
If Holcombe starts vs. Miami.......It would be the best decision this coaching staff/Management has made since starting McGahee last year.

I could care less about Losman's development,the kids not ready as it is, I want to win now, and with Holcomb I believe we can, and is an upgrade over BOTH Bledsoe, and JP.

finfan34
10-05-2005, 07:53 PM
As a die hard fin fan that really wants to win.......if losman plays I know for a fact we will win. if holcombe plays....well lets just say im nervous, the dude has some skill

X-Era
10-05-2005, 08:05 PM

Sure about as nervous as either Gus or Jay makes us Bills fans!!

sarcasm/ off

X-Era
10-05-2005, 08:06 PM
If Holcombe starts vs. Miami.......It would be the best decision this coaching staff/Management has made since starting McGahee last year.

I could care less about Losman's development,the kids not ready as it is, I want to win now, and with Holcomb I believe we can, and is an upgrade over BOTH Bledsoe, and JP.
crack, this is pipe,.....pipe, this is crack. now that we are all introduced, lets get down to business.

The_Philster
10-05-2005, 08:34 PM
If Holcombe starts vs. Miami.......It would be the best decision this coaching staff/Management has made since starting McGahee last year.I could care less about Losman's development,the kids not ready as it is, I want to win now, and with Holcomb I believe we can, and is an upgrade over BOTH Bledsoe, and JP.so you're ready to give up on him after 4 games...I wonder how many QBs would still be in the league had teams all adapted that philosophy :scratch:

X-Era
10-05-2005, 09:02 PM
so you're ready to give up on him after 4 games...I wonder how many QBs would still be in the league had teams all adapted that philosophy :scratch:
We probably should have a 4 game season then.

Mr. Cynical
10-05-2005, 09:13 PM
If Holcomb starts then the following is confirmed in my mind:

1. TD is a terrible GM and should be fired this year.
2. MM sucks as a coach and should be fired this year.

That is all.

!Papacrunk!
10-06-2005, 07:46 AM
So did Losman flat out beat Holcombe this preseason, or since he's the young buck 1st rounder, he was going to get the start?

colin
10-06-2005, 07:49 AM
So did Losman flat out beat Holcombe this preseason, or since he's the young buck 1st rounder, he was going to get the start?
there was no competition, he was made the starter well before they even signed holcombe.

see, even if jp won the job which he didn't, he is a player in the NFL and he is just too terrible to start.

based on the logic posters here use, if we had ryan leaf we would have to dedicate the team to him and never pull him no matter how much he sucked.

HULKFish
10-06-2005, 07:53 AM

I agree with my boy, Holcomb makes me a little nervous... We're takin' this game serious and don't want any kind of let down.

BillsFever21
10-06-2005, 11:49 AM
so you're ready to give up on him after 4 games...I wonder how many QBs would still be in the league had teams all adapted that philosophy :scratch:
Ben Roethlesberger

The_Philster
10-06-2005, 05:39 PM
Ben Roethlesbergerand probably not many more

BillsFever21
10-06-2005, 06:17 PM
Forgot Tom Brady. There would be two veteran QB's left in the NFL. Everyone else would be rookie draft picks.