PDA

View Full Version : And the Quarterback Controversy begins.....

Michael82
10-05-2005, 04:45 PM
Thanks Ralph! I guarantee that he's the reason why they are going to be doing this. It's the kind of thing that he's known for. :ill:

You not only destroy the confidence (if there was any left) of your rookie QB. You destroy the team's confidence in Losman and the coaching staff. The players know that Mularkey wouldn't do this without being forced and you could hear it in his voice. Mularkey is pissed. So am I! You also delay the future and make it so now the learning process and bumps taken with your rookie QB will get pushed back. This is a dumb move! And it really pisses me off that they would do this. This also makes me remember the Bills/Titans playoff game, where Rob Johnson was promoted to the starter for the game, even though Doug Flutie was the starter the whole season. And we all remember that old RJ/DF controversy. This is crap! :fit:

LtBillsFan66
10-05-2005, 04:47 PM
What happened?

WCoastFin
10-05-2005, 04:48 PM
Thanks Ralph! I guarantee that he's the reason why they are going to be doing this. It's the kind of thing that he's known for. :ill:

You not only destroy the confidence (if there was any left) of your rookie QB. You destroy the team's confidence in Losman and the coaching staff. The players know that Mularkey wouldn't do this without being forced and you could hear it in his voice. Mularkey is pissed. So am I! You also delay the future and make it so now the learning process and bumps taken with your rookie QB will get pushed back. This is a dumb move! And it really pisses me off that they would do this. This also makes me remember the Bills/Titans playoff game, where Rob Johnson was promoted to the starter for the game, even though Doug Flutie was the starter the whole season. And we all remember that old RJ/DF controversy. This is crap! :fit:

this sounds just like a post that I posted a few minutes ago in another thread, here is what I had to say...
wow, if this is the case indeed, what a shocker....Forget about destroying JP Losman's confidence, this is going to shatter the whole team's confidence, not to mention, it goes to show how much confidence Mularkey has in his QB's.....QB carousel here we go, I'm lovin it! LMAO!

Michael82
10-05-2005, 04:53 PM
this sounds just like a post that I posted a few minutes ago in another thread, here is what I had to say...
Damn, I share the same thoughts as you? That's scary. :ill:

:scared:

DBrown77
10-05-2005, 04:57 PM
Do we know that Holcomb is the starter?
I think we're jumping the gun

Michael82
10-05-2005, 04:58 PM
Do we know that Holcomb is the starter?
I think we're jumping the gun
Did you listen to Mike Mularkey's press conference? He didn't say anything about the starter and didn't even give JP Losman the usual vote of confidence. IF JP Losman is starting, than Coach Mularkey is doing a great job at pulling the wool over everybody's eyes.

Michael82
10-05-2005, 05:01 PM
Here's the press conference...

http://www.buffalobills.com/player/?FILE_300=http://play.rbn.com/?url=nfl/nfl/open/bills/demand/05audio/100505mularkey.rm&proto=rtsp

Mudflap1
10-05-2005, 05:01 PM
Mikey,

Everyone sees what is happening to us. ESPN and FOX Sports are commenting on the disarray of the front office, the coaching, the poor play so far of J.P. Losman. The fans are irate with the coaching and Tom Donahoe, and nobody is happy that the team is losing and Losman is struggling.

I cannot blame Ralph Wilson, who must be very tired of this at this point, to at least TRY to right the ship and show some leadership. Where else is the leadership with this franchise? Tom Donahoe just makes excuses and dodges questions. Mularkey's press conference was a joke. He couldn't answer any question of any significance. "I'm not going to comment on this at this time." What is that? Take a stance man! Say "this is what we're doing, and why." You think the Dolphins are going to be that much shocked over Holcomb walking out of the tunnel Sunday than Losman? Please. I'm sure Nick Saban is shaking in his boots right now..

I, like all of us, wants to see J.P. Losman succeed. The braintrust of this team (Donahoe and Mularkey) both came out and said this team was better than last year, and that Losman would take the team further. Can you blame the owner and the fans for possibly getting their collective hopes up? Now that the team is 1-3, the buck keeps getting passed. The guy you should be pissed off at is Tom Donahoe, with Mike Mularkey as a close second. They are showing ZERO leadership and ZERO guts. Take some accountability for crying out loud!

Given the poor offseason decision of handing over a supposedly "playoff-ready" team to an unproven quarterback unconditionally, along with not improving the offensive and defensive lines, would take its toll on us, and it is. I want to see Losman succeed, and with the offseason moves, the team basically made the choice of having Losman sink or swim this season with no other real alternatives, and it looks like the team as a whole is overrated. I don't think Holcomb is the answer, but I can understand the sentiment of the owner to want to try to spark SOMETHING to happen.

Mike Mularkey's first obligation is to be Tom Donahoe's boy. Tom Donahoe is an appeaser, instead of a leader who resolves issues. It's no wonder that there is pandering going on at One Bills Drive.

If you are the CEO of a major corporation, you oversee what is going on, and if you feel you need to speak up, you do, that's what CEO's do. I cannot blame Wilson for stepping in and trying to be a leader. CEO's are leaders. That doesn't mean the Mularkey and Donahoe have to listen to him. If they were real leaders, they would do what they think is right.

Ralph Wilson is obviously no spring chicken, I cannot blame him for not wanting to go out on his legacy as a loser.

That being said, if J.P. Losman starts Sunday, I will root hard for him and hope he starts to improve, and that the team wins. If Kelly Holcomb starts, I will cheer as loudly for him, and hope that we win.

But don't blame Ralph Wilson, blame Tom Donahoe and Mike Mularkey.

Jon

Novacane
10-05-2005, 05:08 PM
But don't blame Ralph Wilson, blame Tom Donahoe and Mike Mularkey.

Jon

Who hired TD and then gave him a contract extension this offseason eventhough we have sucked since he took over?

Mudflap1
10-05-2005, 05:12 PM
Who hired TD and then gave him a contract extension this offseason eventhough we have sucked since he took over?Hey man, I'm not happy about this whole ordeal either, I'm just saying that I don't blame Wilson for going in and possibly sounding off to Mularkey and Donahoe. Can you? If they are truly the leaders running the personnel moves of this team, they should've said "he's starting, because he's ready to turn the corner" if they truly believed in him. Instead, Tom Donahoe is nowhere to be seen and Mike Mularkey is clammering in his shoes like the novice that he just might be.

No, Donahoe shouldn't have gotten a contract extension, I think we're all in agreement with that. However, do we know if the money is guaranteed or not? I bet it's not. Why would Wilson agree to that? This isn't a player's salary, and Donahoe's not exactly what I would call a hot commodity these days.

Jon

Novacane
10-05-2005, 05:16 PM
Hey man, I'm not happy about this whole ordeal either, I'm just saying that I don't blame Wilson for going in and possibly sounding off to Mularkey and Donahoe. Can you? If they are truly the leaders running the personnel moves of this team, they should've said "he's starting, because he's ready to turn the corner" if they truly believed in him. Instead, Tom Donahoe is nowhere to be seen and Mike Mularkey is clammering in his shoes like the novice that he just might be.

That I agree with 100%. If Ralphy ordered this which I believe he did then those 2 should have grown a pair and told him they make the FB decisions.

Mudflap1
10-05-2005, 05:17 PM
Agreed.

Jon

kinigirly
10-05-2005, 05:36 PM
There have been 2 constants in this ongoing saga of disappointing season after season: Ralph Wilson and Tom Donahue. Talk about making JP a scapegoat! If this is true, I'm about to call everyone I know to strike on Bills Drive. We are the laughing stock of the NFL. JP, the team, and the league should know that we do not support this insanity and lack of stability. Peyton Manning was 3 for 13 his first season, this is no different. JP is OUR quarterback and we will watch him learn this season, he should not miss one game unless he is injured. STRIKE STRIKE STRIKE!!!!

Michael82
10-05-2005, 05:37 PM
That I agree with 100%. If Ralphy ordered this which I believe he did then those 2 should have grown a pair and told him they make the FB decisions.
I agree. But why would you tell your owner no? He's the one that signs your paychecks and could fire u anytime.

Mudflap1
10-05-2005, 05:43 PM
Mikey, have you ever worked for a corporation? I'm not being a smart-ass. Bosses are notorious, especially in multi-million dollar companies, to come in and blow a fuse and chew your ass out. It happens. If you are any good at all, you have the poise to say, in the right way, "we're handling it, please let me do my job, and here's how I'm going to do it." If Tom Donahoe and Mike Mularkey can't stand up to an 86 year-old man and tell him that they are the football decision makers that he hired, I don't feel sorry for them.

Perhaps it's time for Ralph Wilson to inflate Otto the autopilot to replace our resident Leslie Nielsen look-alike, Tom Donahoe. Worst case scenario we'll just get some more hot air from somebody that doesn't answer any questions. Sound familiar?

Jon

Michael82
10-05-2005, 05:55 PM
Mikey, have you ever worked for a corporation? I'm not being a smart-ass. Bosses are notorious, especially in multi-million dollar companies, to come in and blow a fuse and chew your ass out. It happens. If you are any good at all, you have the poise to say, in the right way, "we're handling it, please let me do my job, and here's how I'm going to do it." If Tom Donahoe and Mike Mularkey can't stand up to an 86 year-old man and tell him that they are the football decision makers that he hired, I don't feel sorry for them.

Perhaps it's time for Ralph Wilson to inflate Otto the autopilot to replace our resident Leslie Nielsen look-alike, Tom Donahoe. Worst case scenario we'll just get some more hot air from somebody that doesn't answer any questions. Sound familiar?

Jon
it doesnt work that way in the NFL or most sports. The owner is the one who has the final say. He's the one that tells the coach or GM what he doesnt like and most of the time, they listen to him. Ralph has always been like that, except it's been more than normal lately.

historypete
10-05-2005, 06:00 PM
This is absolutely crazy if Mularkey starts Holcomb on Sunday. First of all the whole point of throwing JP in is so he can get experience. I know he is getting his brains beat in, and his stats are god awful, but that is part of the learning curve. A few weeks ago I used Carson Palmer as an example as someone who struggled mightly early then started improving at the end of the year. Some said that was a poor example. Okay, then how about Eli Manning last year. He lost his first six games, looked lost, and horrible then played a decent game against dallas in the season finale. Now look at how he has opened up this year. What I'm trying to get across is that Losman needs to get beat up like this, have these poor games because by getting them out of the way right now he will, hopefully, get better towards the end of the season then really take off next year. Clearly the idea he would be another Rothliesberger is gone, and maybe everyone bought into that line way too much. The fact of the matter is Losman is like everyother young QB he needs game time and reps to learn. By benching him his confidence will be shaken, and he learns absolutely nothing.

I could understand the argument that our Defense is good enough to win now so we should play Holcomb. If the Defense was playing like it was last year I might agree with the move to him, but the Defense is not even close to playing like they did a year ago. Few turnovers, bad penalties, horrible run defense, no pass rush. Everything they were doing they are not now. The only team that is playing well are the Special Teams. Other than that everyone is underachieving. With that said you stick with JP and hope to god he learns. By benching him, I only see more negatives than positives.

Mudflap1
10-05-2005, 06:02 PM
it doesnt work that way in the NFL or most sports. The owner is the one who has the final say. He's the one that tells the coach or GM what he doesnt like and most of the time, they listen to him. Ralph has always been like that, except it's been more than normal lately.Mikey, I believe this is what I just said. Of course Ralph is going to go in and yell at Donahoe and Mularkey. Took him long enough! Of course they need to listen to him, as any employee needs to listen to their boss. However, they have demonstrated no leadership. I'm sorry, but if Tom Donahoe is truly the President and General Manager, he has to step up and be the leader over the operations of the Buffalo Bills. There are some owners that need to be hands on, see Al Davis, George Steinbrenner, and Daniel Snyder. Wilson hired Donahoe to do this. However, Tom Donahoe is not doing his job, therefore he got his ass ripped apart. I agree with Mr. Wilson for doing that. He has the right. Perhaps we would've been better served with Otto in charge.

What I'm saying is, if we had a real GM and coach, guys like Parcells, Cowher, Polian, and Belichick, they would tell the owner what they are doing, and make sure they are comfortable with their decisions. They would not get their asses chewed out, have the GM hide like a little girl, and put the coach up at the podium looking like he was crapping his pants, not answering any questions. Wilson is trying to be a leader. For that he should be applauded, how can you blame him? It's up to the trickle down effect of the GM, and then the coach ultimately, to make the game-day decisions on the players. Sorry Mikey, but you're logic about blaming Wilson doesn't hold any water with me. Again, if MM and TD had balls, they would do what they feel is right.

P.S. They are laughing at Mularkey and his non-answers on the NFL Network right now.

Jon

Michael82
10-05-2005, 06:27 PM
Mikey, I believe this is what I just said. Of course Ralph is going to go in and yell at Donahoe and Mularkey. Took him long enough! Of course they need to listen to him, as any employee needs to listen to their boss. However, they have demonstrated no leadership. I'm sorry, but if Tom Donahoe is truly the President and General Manager, he has to step up and be the leader over the operations of the Buffalo Bills. There are some owners that need to be hands on, see Al Davis, George Steinbrenner, and Daniel Snyder. Wilson hired Donahoe to do this. However, Tom Donahoe is not doing his job, therefore he got his ass ripped apart. I agree with Mr. Wilson for doing that. He has the right. Perhaps we would've been better served with Otto in charge.

What I'm saying is, if we had a real GM and coach, guys like Parcells, Cowher, Polian, and Belichick, they would tell the owner what they are doing, and make sure they are comfortable with their decisions. They would not get their asses chewed out, have the GM hide like a little girl, and put the coach up at the podium looking like he was crapping his pants, not answering any questions. Wilson is trying to be a leader. For that he should be applauded, how can you blame him? It's up to the trickle down effect of the GM, and then the coach ultimately, to make the game-day decisions on the players. Sorry Mikey, but you're logic about blaming Wilson doesn't hold any water with me. Again, if MM and TD had balls, they would do what they feel is right.

P.S. They are laughing at Mularkey and his non-answers on the NFL Network right now.

Jon
I blame Ralph Wilson because I feel that he's giving up on Losman too early and is going to push the development back for at least a year now. If Holcomb does anything, Losman's job will be in jeopardy. If the Bills win, Losman is moved to the backup job and I completely disagree with that. Eventually you have to take your lumps and play the rookie QB so he gets experience. That's what Mularkey was going to do. He knows that. But Ralph isn't patient and butted it like he usually does. :sigh:

I don't like that at all. :ill:

casdhf
10-05-2005, 06:33 PM
I read somewhere that Kelly Holcomb was one of the most important off-season signings no one knew about. Guess they were right

Mudflap1
10-05-2005, 06:37 PM
Once again, just to be clear, I basically agree with ALL of your points EXCEPT that I do not blame Ralph Wilson for stepping in. We don't know what happened, and we probably never will. I doubt he held a short meeting and said "bench Losman or else you'll all be fired." It was probably more of a pissed-off owner calling a meeting and reading them the riot act about ALL facets of what is going on, from quarterback to offensive line to defense, etc. I know if I was an old man and pissed off, I would blow my top about everything I could think of, not just J.P. Losman. Somewhere, he probably stated something to the affect of wanting to see what Holcomb would do. After that, who knows.

My point is that Donahoe and Mularkey apparently aren't backing Losman, and that is THEIR fault, not Ralph Wilson's. They are the personnel guys. They are the ones who said Losman was all that and a bag of chips. They are the ones that did nothing to the team this season, and handed the keys to the Ferrari over to J.P. Losman unconditionally, with no question asked. To now cower and quiver and go back on their word is not good. That's their fault, not Ralph Wilson's.

Just my perspective.
Jon

colin
10-05-2005, 06:39 PM
what quarterback controversy?

carson palmer, eli manning, and all the other guys who struggled at first but came through are MUCH MUCH better players than JP.

JP MIGHT turn out to be OK, but only if he figures some things out and stops being a jumpy freak. it isn't as simple as putting the guy in and just thinking he will learn, he isn't learning anything because he is making the same errors and playing terribly.

a qb can only learn from playing IF HE IS READY TO LEARN. if he is still to raw he isn't ready.

JP isn't ready.

the next thing is he is sucking giant ass and it isn't the buffalo losmans, but the buffalo bills