PDA

View Full Version : 2005-06 NHL Predictions

pyrrhonist
10-05-2005, 08:12 PM
I suppose we should've done this earlier on, but what are everyone's thoughts on the upcoming season? I don't just mean the Sabres, which we have all covered plenty here.

My 1st prediction, one that I've touted in other threads here:

CALDER TROPHY---Alexander Ovechkin

Everyone is mucking over Crosby, and yes, he is a damn good player. But Pittsburgh isn't going to go from being a low scorer to the '84 Oilers in just 1 offseason. Ovechkin has the skills to be a dominant scorer in the NHL (He already has 2 goals for Washington tonight, for proof). He is going to be the go-to-guy in Washington, no doubt. You can bash is so-called "attitude" all you want, or even hate him specifically for his hot-dogging against the States in the World Juniors, but you cannot deny, he has the talent to succeed in the NHL. Pencil him in for the Calder!

JD
10-06-2005, 12:31 AM
Don't overlook Vanek just yet.

pyrrhonist
10-06-2005, 08:56 PM
Don't overlook Vanek just yet.

Vanek has far too many players to compete with for points, whereas Ovechkin really only has Zubrus to compete with. Alexander is the Caps' offense, whereas Vanek is just part of the offense.

No one else has any predictions to add?

pyrrhonist
11-18-2005, 12:00 AM

Wow, this thread really took off, eh? :cry: :funny:

It's getting a bit late to "predict" who will succeed and fail in this year's NHL, but I do have my feelings on who will win the West. I meant to declare this weeks ago, prior to the season beginning. I would've been laughed at a few weeks back, but now, I look like a front-runner:

CLARENCE S. CAMPBELL BOWL WINNER (Western Conference Champ): CALGARY FLAMES

Their team is just too good to fail. The Wings get all the credit for being the "dominant" team every year, but the Flames went out and added goal scoring, all the while keeping the grit that helped them get to the Cup Final. They still have Miikka in goal. The only negative for the Flames is clutching & grabbing has been (mostly) neutered, which was a big reason why they got by all of the #1 seeds last time the playoffs took place. Overall, though, they have a team that can weather the type of hockey to get them through the playoffs, only this time, they have more goal scoring punch.

SkateZilla
11-18-2005, 03:27 AM
Vanek has far too many players to compete with for points, whereas Ovechkin really only has Zubrus to compete with. Alexander is the Caps' offense, whereas Vanek is just part of the offense.

Other Than Ovheckin, The leading Caps Scorer has 4 goals :)

hammerbillsfan
11-18-2005, 03:42 AM
Ovechkin has 15 of the team's 52 goals (29%). :hockey:

SkateZilla
11-18-2005, 04:26 AM
Vanek will make a late season run ..... and beat out both Crosby and Vader for Points, Vader will Prolly get more goals, but not enough assists...

the 2 Best Rookies Are Playing on Two of the Leagues Worst Teams, and the tow of the leagues worst offensive teams,

as for Teams,

Detroit will Lose to the 8th Seed, again,

Ottawa Better Hope they Dont Play Carolina :)

pyrrhonist
01-16-2006, 08:10 PM
My 1st prediction, one that I've touted in other threads here:

CALDER TROPHY---Alexander Ovechkin

Anyone looked at the stats lately? Man, do I look like a soothsayer, or what? Sidney Crosby.....meh! :coocoo: :funny: :D

PUCKER
01-16-2006, 08:51 PM
Vanek will make a late season run ..... and beat out both Crosby and Vader for Points, Vader will Prolly get more goals, but not enough assists...

the 2 Best Rookies Are Playing on Two of the Leagues Worst Teams, and the tow of the leagues worst offensive teams,

as for Teams,

Detroit will Lose to the 8th Seed, again,

Ottawa Better Hope they Dont Play Carolina :)

Detroit reminds me of the Indy Colts...CHOKERS!!!!!! :hang:

pyrrhonist
01-16-2006, 09:10 PM
Let's have another installment of "Pyrrho's Predictions":

VEZINA TROPHY----Miikka Kiprusoff

Yes, I'm a closet Flames fan! :D

No, seriously, this guy has always had "it" as a goalie. I got to watch him as a backup in SJ, and the Sharks let him go for nothing more than a bag of pucks. He never had the stud defense in SJ that he has had in Calgary the past few seasons, of that there is no doubt, but he has the goods to change a game single-handedly. Look at him in the time since he arrived in Calgary---He has been stellar.

At the start of this season, I felt it was either between Kipper, Hasek, or Turco, and all 3 are fighting for the award. Right now, I'd say Hasek is the front-runner for the award, but don't count Kipper out just yet. :tip:

pyrrhonist
04-22-2006, 07:24 PM
I see my thread really sunk, and fast! :lol:

So, looking back on some of what I said here---I do know my hockey, eh? :D :D :cool: