PDA

View Full Version : Trade Clements for Phillip Rivers

HHURRICANE
10-05-2005, 09:12 PM
Trade Clements for Rivers!! Cut Spikes and Moulds and draft some youth on both sides of the ball. Mularkey can't screw that up.

Mr. Cynical
10-05-2005, 09:15 PM
Thanks, but no. Rivers is just as big a question mark as JP.

OpIv37
10-05-2005, 09:17 PM
cutting spikes is just insane until we see how he recovers from his injury. The guy is a flat-out playmaker and the heart and brains of the defense.

Moulds can go.

F Phillip Rivers- it's too early to give up on Losman.

Bert102176
10-05-2005, 09:23 PM
anyone that want's to get rid of Moulds, stop being ignorant he is still a very good WR he just needs a QB that doesn't always over throw him JP's accuracy sucks, He is gonna get a WR killed with his high passes.

Nighthawk
10-05-2005, 09:38 PM
I love Rivers...but it would never happen. The GM would have to have a clue and TD doesn't.

vicmantak
10-05-2005, 09:41 PM
Interesting and it makes sense from the following point of view:

-Chargers are only a shutdown CB to be immediately a very serious SB contender and on the other hand it seems that Rivers is their player to trade now.

-Bills urgently need a "Jim Kelly" caliber kind of prospect to develop this unfortunate season and it seems that losing Clements will not really affect a possible playoff appearance and overall performance.

On the other hand, are Bills matured enough to accept the current QB situation to make this trade? Do Chargers have the enough cap space to accept a straight Clements-JP for Rivers trade?

SeatownBillsFan21
10-05-2005, 09:53 PM
Good idea but cut Spikes RU out of your mind dude that is just crazy

slakjaw157
10-05-2005, 09:55 PM
I beleive I missed something. What exactly has Rivers proven in the NFL besides being able to sign a multi-million $ deal? To trade away a top corner for an unproven, untested quarterback would be rediculous. No thanks, Clements is fine right where he is at.

HHURRICANE
10-05-2005, 10:03 PM
Rivers looked great in Pre-season. Enough so that Brees had to fight to be the starter this year. Brees earned his spot so Rivers is going. The Bills wanted Rivers 2 years ago. People, people, people, Spikes has an injury that he is not going to come back from as the same player. I love your loyalty but he is now an expensive "has been". Sorry TKO, I loved you man. Please don't post "if anybody can Spikes can" unless you are an MD who knows something more than I do.

SeatownBillsFan21
10-05-2005, 10:06 PM
TKO will come bak and he will dominate the postition like he has 4 years so lay off him

OpIv37
10-05-2005, 10:07 PM
Rivers looked great in Pre-season. Enough so that Brees had to fight to be the starter this year. Brees earned his spot so Rivers is going. The Bills wanted Rivers 2 years ago. People, people, people, Spikes has an injury that he is not going to come back from as the same player. I love your loyalty but he is now an expensive "has been". Sorry TKO, I loved you man. Please don't post "if anybody can Spikes can" unless you are an MD who knows something more than I do.

we owe the guy a shot- that's it. If he can't play at the same level, make him take a pay cut, and if he refuses then cut him. But he's an amazing athlete who helped our D rank 2nd in the league for two consecutive seasons. We at least owe him the opportunity to prove himself once he recovers.

OpIv37
10-05-2005, 10:08 PM
Rivers looked great in Pre-season. .

Holcomb looked great in pre-season. It's not hard since most of the guys on the D 's they played are not currently in the NFL.

Iehoshua
10-05-2005, 10:29 PM
F Phillip Rivers- it's too early to give up on Losman.
:bf1:
Amen.

vicmantak
10-05-2005, 10:38 PM
People, people, people, Spikes has an injury that he is not going to come back from as the same player. I love your loyalty but he is now an expensive "has been". Sorry TKO, I loved you man. Please don't post "if anybody can Spikes can" unless you are an MD who knows something more than I do.If Bills really want to be champions we might agree.
As any Bills fan, I loved Spikes but he will not be the same player and it's simply unaffordable to keep him from a cost-performance point of view.

Sportsuser101
10-05-2005, 10:47 PM
Rivers is garbage.

MDFINFAN
10-05-2005, 10:49 PM
Trade Clements for Rivers!! Cut Spikes and Moulds and draft some youth on both sides of the ball. Mularkey can't screw that up.

Stop, Miami has first dibs on Rivers..if we can't make a deal, then you guys can try..

Captain Obvious
10-05-2005, 11:39 PM
Why is everybody assuming Rivers would be traded? Wouldn't the Chargers have to take a huge cap hit because of the accileration of his signing bonus? Isn't it easier to let Brees walk away as a FA or maybe franchise him and trade him. Besides he's hardly played at all in SD and we already have our franchise QB on the roster.

CsonkaClone
10-05-2005, 11:53 PM

We'll take Clements for AJ Feeley and a 4th rounder.

Captain Obvious
10-06-2005, 12:01 AM
How about NO!

CsonkaClone
10-06-2005, 12:06 AM
How about NO! MUWaaaahahahahahaha...Just kidding!

unpaid_bills
10-06-2005, 12:11 AM
I respect opinions, but this is the dumbest things I have heard. Get rid of 3 of our best players. I know Moiulds is not producing but he is one of the best WR we have right now.

MarvLevy
10-06-2005, 12:51 AM
honestly....the biggest problem i have with Losman is his height..i think he is listed at 6ft even...NOT GOOD! How big is Mike Williams. JP misses wide open recievers ALL THE TIME!!!!!!!! He can't see them.

Kerr
10-06-2005, 01:27 AM
I loved Rivers as a prospect coming out of college, but the only way a trade like this happens if if JP suffers a career ending injury.

Kerr
10-06-2005, 01:28 AM
honestly....the biggest problem i have with Losman is his height..i think he is listed at 6ft even...NOT GOOD! How big is Mike Williams. JP misses wide open recievers ALL THE TIME!!!!!!!! He can't see them.
I think Losman is listed at 6'2".

Kerr
10-06-2005, 01:28 AM

Iehoshua
10-06-2005, 01:29 AM

What is Losman listed at again...?

Marvelous
10-06-2005, 07:28 AM

Sadly, i agree. I wont wear my Spieks jersey anymore and i hid the wifes. LBS don't return to the same form from this kind of injury. I know most of US are saying " well Spikes is different" well NO he's not. He was a beast for us but the bitter poster has a good point about his high salary... I also agree with the poster who said who said Rivers has proven NOTHING. Clements = best all around CB....Rivers- Unproven & expensive.. Hmm, they better throw in atleast a 2ND rounder..... God bless ya TKO. I strongly suggest everyone do some research on Spikes injury and compare to other players who never made it back the same etc.............GO BILLS!!!

casdhf
10-06-2005, 07:31 AM
I think this is one of the top 10 most ******ed threads, ever! Way to go, HH! :up:

colin
10-06-2005, 07:46 AM
i'd never cut spikes, not until we know for sure he is done. i think he will come back, peterson did, and spikes will be a freak all over again.

SD is more likely to get rid of brees than rivers, a tag and trade might get them a pick and no cap hit for brees, they just can't trade rivers without breaking the bank.

i'd like brees, he might be worth a second and reed or something, SD lacks WRs.

slakjaw157
10-06-2005, 07:47 AM

Tell that to Flutie.

BillsFever21
10-06-2005, 11:44 AM
And 4 games into the season next year he will be a bust too.

TacklingDummy
10-06-2005, 12:08 PM
But he's an amazing athlete who helped our D rank 2nd in the league for two consecutive seasons.

Since last year was Spikes 1st year with the Bills, you just proved a point that the Bills can have a amazing defense without him.

OpIv37
10-06-2005, 12:23 PM
Since last year was Spikes 1st year with the Bills, you just proved a point that the Bills can have a amazing defense without him.

look it up, *****- Spikes first year with the bills was 2003. Last year was his second year.

OpIv37
10-06-2005, 12:24 PM

http://www.buffalobills.com/team/player.jsp?player_id=5132

:negrep: for ignorance

TacklingDummy
10-06-2005, 12:28 PM
Wow, I was wrong. I can't believe its already been 3 years with Spikes. Time goes by fast.

And is name calling really neccesary?

Makes you look childish.

BuffaloRanger
10-06-2005, 12:32 PM
Great idea. Split the Bills fans between Rivers and Losman.

This thread must be sarcasm. Rivers has proven less than JP. No team in NFL history has had 2 1st RD QBs from the same draft fighting for the starting position.

Or do we cut JP after just 1 season starting? If Rivers struggles do we cut him too?

TacklingDummy
10-06-2005, 12:42 PM
Rivers has proven less than JP.

Rivers hasn't had a chance to prove anything. JP has proved he sucks.

MDFINFAN
10-06-2005, 01:55 PM

I actually like that trade...

Crisis
10-06-2005, 02:14 PM
If you guys thought our defense was bad now, we're 10x worse without the best CB in the league.

McGee and Greer at cornerback? What a nightmare.

I would only trade Clements straight up for a top 5 player at a position of need. Clements is easily a top 3-5 CB (best IMO).

CsonkaClone
10-06-2005, 02:19 PM
If you guys thought our defense was bad now, we're 10x worse without the best CB in the league.

McGee and Greer at cornerback? What a nightmare.

I would only trade Clements straight up for a top 5 player at a position of need. Clements is easily a top 3-5 CB (best IMO).
What's with the Manny Wright sig Crisis? And why haven't you been at the finheaven forum lately? Scared?

Crisis
10-06-2005, 02:20 PM
I'm still there.

Mudflap1
10-06-2005, 02:23 PM
This thread must be sarcasm. Rivers has proven less than JP. No team in NFL history has had 2 1st RD QBs from the same draft fighting for the starting position.
Dallas 1989. Troy Aikman and Steve Walsh both taken in the first round for the exact purpose of finding one as a franchise quarterback. Worked out pretty well for them as they found their Hall of Fame QB in Aikman, and traded Walsh for a 1st round pick.

Nevertheless, while I think Rivers is the real deal, I don't like this trade. If you are going to trade for somebody, trade for some offensive and defensive linemen. Until that happens, this team isn't going anywhere (see: Brett Favre/Green Bay).

Jon

CsonkaClone
10-06-2005, 02:24 PM
I'm still there.
Hmm...Haven't seen you in awhile...Thought maybe you were keeping a low profile considering the stomping your team is about receive.

Captain Obvious
10-06-2005, 04:10 PM
I actually like that trade...
I have to assume you are kidding. If not you phinfans are always the same. Wanting to trade your scrubs for players who are probowlers. Kidding or not, how about you come up with another trade proposal, one where the Gm of the bills wouldn't laugh in your face.

HHURRICANE
10-06-2005, 04:14 PM
I think this is one of the top 10 most ******ed threads, ever! Way to go, HH! :up:
This is when I get mad. ******ed thread, why? Clements will want to be the highest paid player at his position and we can't afford to sign him to a long term deal nor should we based on what is going on with the team. The best we can do is franchise him and then deal him. So for what? To have a great team you need a great QB to build around. Losman may or may not be the guy. We need to start being realistic as Spikes and Moulds are 2 of our highest paid players and both are past their prime.

******ed is when you call me out with nothing to back it up with.:shakeno:

HHURRICANE
10-07-2005, 02:46 PM
I'm no genius but even WGR thinks we might need to bid for Brees or Rivers.

HHURRICANE
10-07-2005, 02:48 PM
By the way thanks to the losers for negging me without a back up point! Real mature.

finsrclowns
10-07-2005, 03:12 PM
Financially it makes way more sense for the Bolts to trade Brees. But a few more performances like last week against NE and that will be very hard for them to even consider. In any case they won't be doing anything with either guy until the offseason. By then JP will most likely have gotten back in and we'll have a somewhat better feel for his potential. No way you go a different direction unless JP has at least another half dozen games and no significant improvement is showing up, by that I mean he's still fighting to break 100 yards passing a game. Even if JP did just flat out suck no way TD pulls the plug on him that soon so you'd have to have a new GM for this trade to happen. Salary cap wise it could work ok for the Bills since they would not be responsible for the bonus portion of Rivers cap #. If the Bolts wanted Clement we could always use our early 1st on a CB. So in the unlikely event that JP is a bust, TD is fired and the Bolts were willing to do a 1 for 1 swap (leave out Spikes thank you) then yeah I guess I'd think about it.

Truthfully I think Rivers is going to be a fine player somewhere. He was highly productive in college even with his unorthodox motion. He's also very bright. But if this season crashes and burns it's hard to imagine what might happen with the Bills and I don't really want to go there right now.

colin
10-07-2005, 03:31 PM
i'd take brees.

the chargers are more likely to trade brees because they would have a massive cap hit from rivers.

Jeff1220
10-07-2005, 11:54 PM
Dallas 1989. Troy Aikman and Steve Walsh both taken in the first round for the exact purpose of finding one as a franchise quarterback. Worked out pretty well for them as they found their Hall of Fame QB in Aikman, and traded Walsh for a 1st round pick.

Nevertheless, while I think Rivers is the real deal, I don't like this trade. If you are going to trade for somebody, trade for some offensive and defensive linemen. Until that happens, this team isn't going anywhere (see: Brett Favre/Green Bay).

Jon

When I read this, I was thinking of this exact scenario. AikmanV.Walsh was a great battle for a starting job and worked out just fine. Though Rivers might not be the best to battle JP due to the cost. The Bills '06 draft should go:
R1: OL or DL
R2: OL or QB
R3: QB or DL