PDA

View Full Version : On This Date in Bills History....

Historian
10-07-2005, 04:41 AM
1962- The Bills lose to the Oilers 17-14. The Bills lost because the referees forgot to call for the two minute warning.

1973- Tom Dempsey's 26 yard field goal sails wide right, giving the Bills a 27-26 victory over the Eagles at Rich Stadium.

1979- In his only visit to Rich Stadium, Walter Payton rushes for 155 yards, and vaults for the games only score, as the Bears defeat the Bills, 7-0.

1984- The Bills play their designated Silver Anniversary Game, as they lose at home to the Philadelphia Eagles , 27-17. All attendees were given a free poster upon entering the stadium.

1990- On a special Sunday night game on TNT, the Bills come back to spank the Raiders 38-24. The highlight of the game was Nate Odomes ripping the ball out of Willie Gault's hands, and scoring a touchdown 49 yards in the other direction.

vicmantak
10-07-2005, 05:34 AM
1990- On a special Sunday night game on TNT, the Bills come back to spank the Raiders 38-24. The highlight of the game was Nate Odomes ripping the ball out of Willie Gault's hands, and scoring a touchdown 49 yards in the other direction.Give me the good old days... Thanks for remember us this amazing game.
http://www.billszone.com/mtlog/archives/2004/01/01/1990_buffalo_bills_the_greatest_journey_begins.php

SABURZFAN
10-07-2005, 08:07 AM
1979- In his only visit to Rich Stadium, Walter Payton rushes for 155 yards, and vaults for the games only score, as the Bears defeat the Bills, 7-0.

anybody have a ticket stub to that game?

Historian
10-07-2005, 08:10 AM
anybody have a ticket stub to that game?

Not me, I know exactly where I was....home in bed with mono.

SABURZFAN
10-07-2005, 08:13 AM
Not me, I know exactly where I was....home in bed with mono.

:roflmao:

sorry bro but that's good stuff.i'll have to pos you again after i spread it around. :up:

Dozerdog
10-07-2005, 08:20 AM
<CENTER> </CENTER>BUFFALO 38, LOS ANGELES RAIDERS 24

To quote Yankee great Yogi Berra, "It was deja-vu all over again" for the Bills on Sunday night against another AFC West opponent, the Los Angeles Raiders. With 80,076 on hand, it was the second largest crowd to date in Rich Stadium history as the game was aired nationally on the TNT cable network.

The Raiders repeated the Bronco's success of holding the Bills offense in check while moving the ball at will on their own. WR Willie Gault hauled in a Jay Schroeder 11 yard pas for the game's first score. Special teams ace Steve Tasker put Buffalo back into the game by forcing Raider punt return man Tim Brown to fumble on the LA 15 yard line. The Bills Chris Hale recovered, setting up a Jim Kelly to Andre Reed 13 yard scoring strike to tie it 7-7. The Raiders went on to control the second and third quarters jumping out to a 17-7 lead. After Keith McKellar's 15 yard TD reception pulled Buffalo within 17-14 late in the third, the Raiders seemed to take control with Steve Smith's 4 yard reception with 10:25 left in the game. But just like the week before, the Bills special teams and defense led another dramatic comeback.

http://www.billszone.com/coppermine/albums/userpics/timezone/1986-1995/1990-Odomes-raiders.JPGJim Kelly began the rally on a quick 5 play drive ending in former Raider James Lofton's 42-yard TD reception. It consumed a mere 1:58 on the clock and drew the Bills within 3 at 24-21. After a raider 3-and-out, Steve Tasker was the hero again. Tasker broke in free and clear and blocked the punt, which was scooped up and returned 38 yards for the lead by JD Williams with 7:52 remaining. The Bills onslaught continued when Bennett sacked Schroeder 3 plays later forcing a fumble. The Turnover led to a Scott Norwood Field goal and a 31-21 lead. The game ended on another defensive TD, as Nate Odoms stripped Willie Gault of the ball and returned it 49 yards for the game's final score. The Bills comeback tidal wave
scored 24 points in a 6:03 span, sparking the 38-24 win. <CENTER>
</CENTER>

Ebenezer
10-07-2005, 08:21 AM

I remember listening to that game. The Bills had so many chances but just could not score. The clip of Payton going over the top was used by the league and the Bills for years.

PUCKER
10-07-2005, 11:49 PM
1962- The Bills lose to the Oilers 17-14. The Bills lost because the referees forgot to call for the two minute warning.

How do you forget to call the two minute warning???

Historian
10-08-2005, 05:47 AM
1984- The Bills play their designated Silver Anniversary Game, as they lose at home to the Philadelphia Eagles , 27-17. All attendees were given a free poster upon entering the stadium.

No comments from CountryGal, huh??????

:whistling

chernobylwraiths
10-08-2005, 08:58 AM

1973- Tom Dempsey's 26 yard field goal sails wide right, giving the Bills a 27-26 victory over the Eagles at Rich Stadium.

1990- On a special Sunday night game on TNT, the Bills come back to spank the Raiders 38-24. The highlight of the game was Nate Odomes ripping the ball out of Willie Gault's hands, and scoring a touchdown 49 yards in the other direction.

For as few games as I've gone to, I went to two of these games (the last two). I remember being at the Eagles game and getting the poster. We didn't have a lot of fans for this game and I remember the sparse crowd doing the wave near the end. I think it was when Buffalo had the ball too.

The Raiders game I remember too. I went to that game (the only night game I ever went to) and ripped up my knees in the gravel parking lot playing football. The guy who accidentally tripped me felt so bad, he went to a convenient store and bought all kinds of medical supplies to cover up my knees. They then proceeded to wrap the adhesive tape around my legs several times to keep the gauze on. I think removing the tape hurt as much as anything else. Great game too. :up:

Historian
10-08-2005, 06:52 PM
Still nothing from CountryGal, huh?

She must not be paying attention...