X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Michael82
    • Jul 2002

Slap The Tag on Peerless Price!

I am surprised that no one is suggesting this. We almost tagged Cowart last year, but didn't. We should still have both tags, why not tag him? He'll be a popular FA and if we could get something for him...I say go for it. I really want him to stay on the team and maybe tagging him would be the best way to keep him. It gives him a temporary 1-year contract that is the average top price for the WRs. Or if we don't match, we could get compensation. I feel that TD should do what he can do to resign Price and if worse comes to worse....slap the Franchise Tag or Transition tag on him.

What do you all think?

• The_Philster
    • Jul 2002

Way too expensive to pay him the average of the top 5 paid WRs in the league
    The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!

Comment

• Jaded 7
      Saving the World One Signature at a Time!
      • Jul 2002

That sounds like a good idea to me, Mike. I like Peerless too. I think he's really improved as a player this past year. I think he can only keep on getting better as he matures. :)

There's not a stone in my heart I've left unturned
      Not a piece of my soul that I ain't searched
      The only answer I found for all this hurt
      Is there ain't not answer here on earth

Comment

• Wys Guy
        Drew and Sam stole all my hair
        • Jul 2002

Come on, you serious? Top 5 salaries for Price?

For one season of very good not even outstanding?

No way!

Reed!
        Replace Donahoe with Modrak and fire the entire coaching staff!

Then let's go to Disneyworld!

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• BledsoeTOreedfor6
          • Jul 2002

Think with the head not the heart! No way does TD even think for 1 second about tagging Peerless!

Comment

• Jaded 7
            • Jul 2002

Obviously, we're in the minority on this one, Mike. I really don't know what the "tag" means, but I do think that the Bills should keep Peerless.

Comment

• RedEyE
              • Jul 2002

I'm still hopeful that TD and Price can come to an agreement, but I'm certain that TD won't tag Price. He stated last year that he doesn't chase players and I still don't think that Price has truly proven himself. Don't get me wrong, Price is a contributor and the Bills would stand to do well to sign him, but Pro Bowl recievers do not drop open field passes in important games. That botched pass in GB is a growing seed of doubt to Price's true abilities to take charge of a receiving corp. He had one great season and has to know that defenses doubled up on Moulds allowing him more one on one opportunities. Price has it good here. Both a QB and an offense that compliments his style of play. He'd be a fool not to stay.

The Bills will actually do fine without him. Reed should have great success finding holes across the middle and Moulds has always been Buffalo's real deep threat. The Bills also have other receiving threats that saw little playing time this season(if in Buffalo next season). Centers and Riemersma rarely saw the ball float their way and Henry proved that he too can catch the ball.
              Last edited by RedEyE; 01-08-2003, 10:24 PM.

Comment

• clumping platelets

Mikey: it has been suggested. If Peerless was more like Moulds, it would be an excellent possibility.

Comment

• Dozerdog
                  In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Jaded 7
                  Obviously, we're in the minority on this one, Mike. I really don't know what the "tag" means, but I do think that the Bills should keep Peerless.
                  Jaded

What Mike is suggesting is this-

When you "Tag" a player (each team has been given a couple of these "Tags" to use) you are taking away that player's rights to become a free agent. In exchange, you are required to pay that player an average of the top 5 salaries for his position. Being a WR, you take the 5 highest paid WRs in the league and average their pay- that's what you will pay Peerless.

The Bills are going to have about 10 million to spend (maybe up to 13 if they cut some guys) to improve the team. If we Tag Peerless, we are forced to pay him somewhere in the neighborhood of 7 million dolars- eating up all the cap space we could use to pursue badly needed defensive help.

We can try the following-
                  1)Get peerless to sign for less than that (maybe 4- 5 million, TOPS!

2- Let Peerless go, promote Reed, and pay signigficantly less for a Free Agent WR to replace Price. If we did that, it leaves the Bills tons of $$$ to fill a number of holes.

Why spend the $$$ for two Ferraris in the driveway when the house needs a new roof and boiler? It's a sentmental move, but very foolish if we plan on improving the team significantly on defense.

Comment

• Captain gameboy
                    • Jul 2002

I think Price's top cost would put him, reasonably, in the top 12-15 WR's. That's all I'd pay. If he wants to be here he'll accept that kind of money. My feeling is he won't.

Comment

• BigDoug
                      1-800-SAD-GOAT
                      • Jul 2002

Let somebody else sign his ass

Comment

• Kelly The Dog
                        • Jul 2002

Redeye: "Don't get me wrong, Price is a contributor and the Bills would stand to do well to sign him, but Pro Bowl recievers do not drop open field passes in important games. "

Both this year and last year, Moulds dropped far, far more passes right in his hands than Peerless did. And more percentage-wise, too, it wasn't just that Moulds had more passes thrown to him. It wasn't even close, especially last year.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                          • Jul 2002

TD saw this coming w/c is why he got Reed when we really didn't need a wr in this years draft. If we let Price go , watch for Drew throwing to the TE's more often. Moulds , Reed and a good catching TE with the option of going to Centers(if he stays) or Henry off the backfield. Sounds good to me.
                          sacrifice1
                          https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Jaded 7
                            • Jul 2002

Thanks for the explanation, Dozer!:peck: When you put it like that, you're right. That's a lot of money to pay him when it's obvious, even to me, that there are a few major holes that need to be filled on the team. That being said, I still like Peerless and I really think he's been an asset to the team. I hope that the Bills and Peerless are able to work something out so he can stay with the team at a reasonable price.

Comment

• SABURZFAN
                              short bus extraordinaire
                              • Jul 2002

i think we should let price go.let some other team overpay for him.for some reason,i don't see him as a go-to guy.he moped and pouted when he was snubbed for the PRO BOWL.we definitely don't need "ME" players.
                              Originally posted by yordad
                              Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

Working...
                              X