PDA

View Full Version : Holcomb Starting is the right choice

carybillsfan
10-07-2005, 09:25 AM
If there is any chance at reaching the playoffs we have to win the next 2 games. I'm a big JP fan, but he looked horrible last week against a team that was chewed up by the giants and vikings. If Holcomb can't get it done the next two games then JP will have the final 10 to get "seasoned" for next year. We must win these 2 at home and Holcomb gives us the best chance at winning right now.

JP's time will come.

X-Era
10-07-2005, 09:31 AM
If there is any chance at reaching the playoffs we have to win the next 2 games. I'm a big JP fan, but he looked horrible last week against a team that was chewed up by the giants and vikings. If Holcomb can't get it done the next two games then JP will have the final 10 to get "seasoned" for next year. We must win these 2 at home and Holcomb gives us the best chance at winning right now.

JP's time will come.
You clearly aint reading my post on this.

Wiing the next 2 puts us at 3 and 3, that a LONG way from the 10 and 6 we need. You think Holcomb wins us another 7? with our schedule? Even if that does happen, Holcomb takes us to a SB win? If not whats the point?

If we win these 2 and then bench Holcomb and restart Losman, Losman wins 7 for us?

Imnot seeing why these next 2 games are THE difference makers.

Trust me, I hate the Fins and Jets and want to beat them, but I dont see why these games are crucial when NEITHER QB gets us to the playoffs this year.

Meathead
10-07-2005, 09:41 AM
because winning now is where it's at in the nfl.

will jp become the next favre and lead us to several sb victories? maybe. will jp become the next rj and get bj's in a calif hot tub on our dollar for the next four decades? maybe.

if this were the 49ers then i'd say start jp. but it isn't. holcomb gives us the best shot to win today.

if he keeps on winning, he stays in. period. if he sucks, or the team does and the playoffs become out of reach, give jp all the starts we can stomach.

ParanoidAndroid
10-07-2005, 09:56 AM
If there is any chance at reaching the playoffs we have to win the next 2 games. I'm a big JP fan, but he looked horrible last week against a team that was chewed up by the giants and vikings. If Holcomb can't get it done the next two games then JP will have the final 10 to get "seasoned" for next year. We must win these 2 at home and Holcomb gives us the best chance at winning right now.JP's time will come.
because winning now is where it's at in the nfl.will jp become the next favre and lead us to several sb victories? maybe. will jp become the next rj and get bj's in a calif hot tub on our dollar for the next four decades? maybe.if this were the 49ers then i'd say start jp. but it isn't. holcomb gives us the best shot to win today.if he keeps on winning, he stays in. period. if he sucks, or the team does and the playoffs become out of reach, give jp all the starts we can stomach.
Exactly.

gr8fuldad
10-07-2005, 10:09 AM
I totally agree!! these games are a must, and the goal is still winning !!!!!

If in fact JP is the answer, he hasn't shown much for someone who supposedly showed up so very early for camp's etc. wanting to learn. The Bills need to win NOW, not after JP grows up, which is still not a given he even will. Kelly is a veteran, and i do believe he will proove that fact.......yes, he's had a bad run, but look at the team he was with !!
From a bills fan, it's a great move, and well needed.

HULKFish
10-07-2005, 10:14 AM

JP's time will come.
No SMACK but you guys are looking earily similar to the 04' Phins...

Feeley/ Holcomb - pocket passer
Fiedler/ Losman - scrambler

bunch of D injuries... SPOOKY!! :horror:

FINZ FURY
10-07-2005, 10:14 AM
As a Dolphins fan, Holcomb worries me much more than Losman. When Holcomb is hot he is deadly. He was able at times to put up big numbers while playing on the Browns. Moulds and Evans worry me much more than any Browns wr he had to work with.
Reggie Howard was finally benched (thank god) but we are still relying on 4th rd rookie T.Daniels and now 2nd year player Eddie Jackson to step up at cb. If those guys falter, Holcomb could have his way with them. I expect Saban to blitz blitz blitz in order to pressure Holcomb and exploit his lack of mobility. Either way, I dont think this game will be a cake walk. I still think the Phins will win but it should be a tight game.

finsrclowns
10-07-2005, 10:18 AM
As a Dolphins fan, Holcomb worries me much more than Losman. When Holcomb is hot he is deadly. He was able at times to put up big numbers while playing on the Browns. Moulds and Evans worry me much more than any Browns wr he had to work with.
Reggie Howard was finally benched (thank god) but we are still relying on 4th rd rookie T.Daniels and now 2nd year player Eddie Jackson to step up at cb. If those guys falter, Holcomb could have his way with them. I expect Saban to blitz blitz blitz in order to pressure Holcomb and exploit his lack of mobility. Either way, I dont think this game will be a cake walk. I still think the Phins will win but it should be a tight game.

Except for your conclusion, nice post and I agree.

carybillsfan
10-07-2005, 10:36 AM
You clearly aint reading my post on this.

If we win these 2 and then bench Holcomb and restart Losman, Losman wins 7 for us?

If Holcomb wins the next 2 he's our qb, until further notice. I'm sick of next year will be good, who cares abotu the playoffs this year?

I care and so do high end free agents, they want to play for a team committed to winning, if we continue to throw seasons down the drain in hope that next year it'll pay off we'll never be any good.

Mr. Cynical
10-07-2005, 11:19 AM

JP's time will come.
:no:

Mr. Cynical
10-07-2005, 11:21 AM
if this were the 49ers then i'd say start jp. but it isn't. holcomb gives us the best shot to win today.
What do you base this on? Why are we so much better than the 9'ers? I think the people who think we are "this close" or a "qb away" from the playoffs have been drinking too much of TD's Kool-Aid.

We are not a good team right now and haven't been for many years. This is fact, not fiction.

X-Era
10-07-2005, 11:50 AM
If Holcomb wins the next 2 he's our qb, until further notice. I'm sick of next year will be good, who cares abotu the playoffs this year?

I care and so do high end free agents, they want to play for a team committed to winning, if we continue to throw seasons down the drain in hope that next year it'll pay off we'll never be any good.
OK, fine, I cant disagree with wanting the playoffs as soon as possible. I want that too.

What happens then? what if we do make it to the playoffs and then lose in round 1 or 2? what then? Will you then say, we need a SB caliper QB?

What if we DONT go to the playoffs? Will you say we need a playoff and SB caliper QB?

All these paths lead to the same place. Win now is fine and a wonderful short term goal. But it isnt THE goal which is to win the SB.

How much longer are you willing to wait for that? how much longer do you want to wait for THAT QB? Because it sure as hell isnt Holcomb, and it may or may not be Losman, we dont know yet.

As god is my witness, I firnly believe that we need the next Kelly to win a SB here in Buffalo. I just want that day to come as soon as possible. I dont think for a minute that Holcomb does it for us, so lets get the damn guy going who does!!!!!! Losman, other I dont frikkin care, but if it aint Holcomb, get the right guy! lose this year, go to the playoffs next, and the SB the year after? Great. Lose this year, lose next year, lose the following? NO!!!!! Go to the playoff this year-out in round1, lose next year, still dont have an answer at QB? NO!!!!!!!!!

juice
10-07-2005, 12:55 PM

JP's time will come.Good post Cary..

Many Bills fans seem to think that by benching JP, the organization is giving up on him or questioning his ability to ever be a productive QB in the League.. but actually the staff is giving him the chance to learn from a different perspective now that he has really had some starts in the Big Leagues.

Last year JP was limited in what he was exposed to in his little bit of Playtime, But now he can watch from the sideline and see how a Vet allows a play to develope and how to feel the pressure in the pocket.. JP seemed to be a little eager to run after seeing that his primary target is covered - he never really looked to options B & C before he tucked the ball and ran.

The_Philster
10-07-2005, 03:29 PM
OK, fine, I cant disagree with wanting the playoffs as soon as possible. I want that too.

What happens then? what if we do make it to the playoffs and then lose in round 1 or 2? what then? Will you then say, we need a SB caliper QB?

What if we DONT go to the playoffs? Will you say we need a playoff and SB caliper QB?

All these paths lead to the same place. Win now is fine and a wonderful short term goal. But it isnt THE goal which is to win the SB.

How much longer are you willing to wait for that? how much longer do you want to wait for THAT QB? Because it sure as hell isnt Holcomb, and it may or may not be Losman, we dont know yet.

As god is my witness, I firnly believe that we need the next Kelly to win a SB here in Buffalo. I just want that day to come as soon as possible. I dont think for a minute that Holcomb does it for us, so lets get the damn guy going who does!!!!!! Losman, other I dont frikkin care, but if it aint Holcomb, get the right guy! lose this year, go to the playoffs next, and the SB the year after? Great. Lose this year, lose next year, lose the following? NO!!!!! Go to the playoff this year-out in round1, lose next year, still dont have an answer at QB? NO!!!!!!!!!:10: Great post :clap:

Mudflap1
10-07-2005, 03:40 PM
One game at a time folks. Let's see what happens Sunday. Everything could change again by Monday/Tuesday next week.
will jp become the next favre and lead us to several sb victories? maybe. will jp become the next rj and get bj's in a calif hot tub on our dollar for the next four decades? maybe.
Hilarious! And true!

Jon

DynaPaul
10-07-2005, 03:47 PM

Brett Favre is 1 - 1 in Super Bowls.

Listening to Madden though you'd think he had won the last 10 single-handedly...

BillsFever21
10-07-2005, 04:48 PM
What do you base this on? Why are we so much better than the 9'ers? I think the people who think we are "this close" or a "qb away" from the playoffs have been drinking too much of TD's Kool-Aid.

We are not a good team right now and haven't been for many years. This is fact, not fiction.
How many teams with a winning record have we beat in the last 3 years? About 4 times?

This is not a good team. Throw the 49ers at us and we're a good team. Throw the Patriots, Falcons or Eagles at us and we show how bad we really are.

Mr. Cynical
10-07-2005, 06:54 PM
How many teams with a winning record have we beat in the last 3 years? About 4 times?

This is not a good team. Throw the 49ers at us and we're a good team. Throw the Patriots, Falcons or Eagles at us and we show how bad we really are.
That's my point. :up:

slakjaw157
10-07-2005, 07:29 PM
Losman should be in there this week and future weeks. Rookie quarterbacks usually do struggle, with a few exceptions. JP is playing poorly but the only way for him to turn it around is to be in there playing. He had plenty of time to observe last year and learn the system.

I believe TD and MM are trying to save their jobs, period. They are doing the fans and the future of the organization a diservice by playing Holcomb this week. Aikman started out 1-14 when he first entered the league and he became a top notch QB. Look at Carson Palmer this year compared to his rookie campaign.

The bottom line is that as Bills fans we want to win the Superbowl. The time is now to see if this kid (JP) has the potential to one day lead us to it. If he doesn't make strides on improving we look to other options for next year. Putting him on the bench only prolongs that decision and our future return to the big dance.

juice
10-10-2005, 04:56 PM
Losman should be in there this week and future weeks.

The bottom line is that as Bills fans we want to win the Superbowl. The time is now to see if this kid (JP) has the potential to one day lead us to it. If he doesn't make strides on improving we look to other options for next year. Putting him on the bench only prolongs that decision and our future return to the big dance.So your saying the team should have Losman "Tryout" as an NFL starter during a season that we have a Top 10 defense, Top 3 ST unit, Top 3 secondary, a Pro Bowl calliber RB, and two potential 1000 yd recievers.

At the expense of Vets such as Milloy, Spikes, Vincent, Adams, Fletch, Moulds and Clements, JP should have an entire season to throw away to see if he will ever be an NFL QB.. If this staff did that they would lose the respect of every one of those Vets and the services of at least 2 of them next year - Clements and Moulds.

HolyHolcomb10
10-10-2005, 04:58 PM
Damn right. Holcomb should be starting, cause JP struggled massively