PDA

View Full Version : Moulds Pissed Me Off

kinigirly
10-07-2005, 09:54 AM
Eric Moulds is coming off like such a selfish a$$! "Me and the other veterans talked about it, and we want to win now" Ok lets screw over our future quarterback and his development because you haven't won a superbowl in your 10 years and now you're getting cranky about it. Don't punish JP because you haven't achieved your own goals in a DECADE. What happened to the TEAM mentality?? All of a sudden its all me, me, me...the veterans want to win now no matter what the cost. This selfishness really pisses me off. I know the Kelly Bills era is over....but this quote "team" makes me sick. If Holcomb is our secret weapon and he's gonna do a miracle, he would've but a starting quarterback instead of a backup for the past 10 years. Shame on you Buffalo!

Shasta McNasty
10-07-2005, 10:09 AM
Eric Moulds is coming off like such a selfish a$$! "Me and the other veterans talked about it, and we want to win now" Ok lets screw over our future quarterback and his development because you haven't won a superbowl in your 10 years and now you're getting cranky about it. Don't punish JP because you haven't achieved your own goals in a DECADE. What happened to the TEAM mentality?? All of a sudden its all me, me, me...the veterans want to win now no matter what the cost. This selfishness really pisses me off. I know the Kelly Bills era is over....but this quote "team" makes me sick. If Holcomb is our secret weapon and he's gonna do a miracle, he would've but a starting quarterback instead of a backup for the past 10 years. Shame on you Buffalo!

Yeah those vets are jerks for wanting to win.

kinigirly
10-07-2005, 10:16 AM
I'm not saying they're jerks for wanting to win, I'm saying they're jerks for not doing it as a team. You don't step over other people and push them aside so you can win the superbowl and finally retire. You stick together and stand behind your team mates, win or lose!

finsrclowns
10-07-2005, 10:23 AM
I'm not saying they're jerks for wanting to win, I'm saying they're jerks for not doing it as a team. You don't step over other people and push them aside so you can win the superbowl and finally retire. You stick together and stand behind your team mates, win or lose!

Players are not lemmings. They could see the cliff JP was leading them to and not wanting to jump off doesn't make them jerks. I would love to know the result of a secret ball on members of the team as to whether they support this decision. I'd bet Moulds is on the vast majority side.

Pride
10-07-2005, 10:36 AM
Agreed.... if you know you are doing your part and the QB isnt getting his done... it isnt wrong to question it!

LtBillsFan66
10-07-2005, 10:39 AM
I agree that it most likely wasn't just Moulds.

Iehoshua
10-07-2005, 10:46 AM
It would be stupid to expect them to actually accept any blame themselves.

Novacane
10-07-2005, 10:47 AM
I see it as the players using JP as an excuse for thier poor play. Now their crutch is gone. They complained and got thier way. They had better perform now.

Iehoshua
10-07-2005, 10:55 AM
I see it as the players using JP as an excuse for thier poor play. Now their crutch is gone. They complained and got thier way. They had better perform now.
:bf1:

We shall see...

Michael82
10-07-2005, 11:05 AM
especially Moulds. :mad:

Mr. Cynical
10-07-2005, 11:16 AM
Players are not lemmings. They could see the cliff JP was leading them to and not wanting to jump off doesn't make them jerks. I would love to know the result of a secret ball on members of the team as to whether they support this decision. I'd bet Moulds is on the vast majority side.And if Holcomb plays like he has when he's been in there? Then what? Matthews? The Pinto Guy? The Chef?

When players effect coaching and/or personnel decisions that is a pure sign the team is in dire trouble. It shows MM and TD do not have a handle on things nor the respect of the team. (actually that was clear beforehand just by the way the team had been performing..or not performing I should say.) Look at the successful coaches and the players play hard for them because they believe in them and respect them. When players can cause decisions, it shows the coach is weak, and that is like blood in the water for sharks. The players may consciously say "that's great they listen", but subconsciously they lose respect. You don't see guys like Belichick, Parcells, or Lewis making decisions based on what the "vets want".

Ultimately I think this is the beginning of the end of their tenure. Which I guess is fine since that is what I and many others want.

The Heartbreak Kid
10-07-2005, 11:20 AM
The quarterback is the problem. There was too much hype over Losman. Should Eric Moulds be upset, yeah! Throw Moulds and Evans the ball more. Things should be better with the passing game this week because of Kelly Holcomb. Kelly Holcomb is a proven back up quarterback. If he starts a couple games there is no problem. This way Eric Moulds and Lee Evans will get some yardage and be happy. There is no way honestly that if you were Eric Moulds, Lee Evans, or anyone who is a receiver or a catching tight end would be happy about the way that Losman has been throwing. I support the idea starting Kelly Holcomb and trying to save this season. Kelly Holcomb is like the great Buffalo Bills back up Alex Van Pelt. Kelly Holcomb is also a back up quarterback too, don't forget and not a regular starter. You can not always be future oriented, you must look to the present at some point in time. Moulds has been patient and it will pay off, but not this season as we all have hoped. So give Holcomb some starts and give Losman some starts and divide the rest of the games in half. Eli Manning and Kurt Warner switched on and off and look how Eli turned out. Big Ben just got lucky. If Eric Moulds is making you upset, give him a break. He doesn't want to have such bad numbers. Is that really so bad, to try to get your numbers up?

SkapePhin
10-07-2005, 11:25 AM
And if Holcomb plays like he has when he's been in there? Then what? Matthews? The Pinto Guy? The Chef?

When players effect coaching and/or personnel decisions that is a pure sign the team is in dire trouble. It shows MM and TD do not have a handle on things nor the respect of the team. (actually that was clear beforehand just by the way the team had been performing..or not performing I should say.) Look at the successful coaches and the players play hard for them because they believe in them and respect them. When players can cause decisions, it shows the coach is weak, and that is like blood in the water for sharks. The players may consciously say "that's great they listen", but subconsciously they lose respect. You don't see guys like Belichick, Parcells, or Lewis making decisions based on what the "vets want".

Ultimately I think this is the beginning of the end of their tenure. Which I guess is fine since that is what I and many others want.
Precisely.. This is what happened with Wannestedt in Miami.. He was such a pushover that it eventually corrupted the team.. Looks like the same thing may be happening in Buff this year.

BAM
10-07-2005, 11:37 AM
Moulds is running out of time. I don't blame him.

We were to take a step forward this year, according to the coaches.

Mr. Cynical
10-07-2005, 11:43 AM
We were to take a step forward this year, according to the coaches.
According to TD, we were to take steps forward in '02, '03, '04...

The Kool Aid has worked well.

kinigirly
10-07-2005, 12:02 PM
I just hate the indecision and flip flopping of ideology for this year. Before the season started Tom Donahue said, don't expect the playoffs or anything much this year, this is a dry run for next year. Meaning we know JP is gonna suck this year but that's what has to happen for him to get good. So why is he changing his mind after THREE games. You have to be confident and stick to your guns. WEAK...WEAK spineless management! What are we gonna dump quarterbacks every 2 years because we're not winning games? HELLO....the whole team sucks not just the quarterback

TedMock
10-07-2005, 12:02 PM
Moulds isn't a jerk for saying he wants to win. He's jerk for talking all sorts of junk two weeks ago, and then giving up on two routes, and getting a stupid penalty on a big run, and spitting on the defense that made you its *****. If you quit because you're frustrated, then you're a jerk. That's exactly what he did last week. I'm so sick of Eric Moulds at this point. This "I deserve better" crap that he's spewing is a bunch of bull. If you deserve better, go out there and work for it.

Michael82
10-07-2005, 12:06 PM
Moulds isn't a jerk for saying he wants to win. He's jerk for talking all sorts of junk two weeks ago, and then giving up on two routes, and getting a stupid penalty on a big run, and spitting on the defense that made you its *****. If you quit because you're frustrated, then you're a jerk. That's exactly what he did last week. I'm so sick of Eric Moulds at this point. This "I deserve better" crap that he's spewing is a bunch of bull. If you deserve better, go out there and work for it.
Not to mention, he doesn't care about the Bills future and if JP Losman is able to develop. He just wants the stats and the wins now, so he can go to a good team at the end of the season. It's a shame. Moulds used to be one of my favorite players, but he is really nothing more than a whiny ******* lately. :ill:

We can blame Moulds and some of the other whiny vets like Troy Vincent, who pushed our future back a little farther. What would suck is if this season turns out like last year's and it's a waste and we still never got the time to groom Losman. mularkey knows that Losman needs experience and he won't get it on the bench.

Moulds needs to STFU and do his job. Quit dropping the ball, taking unneccessary penalties, missing your routes and blaming the QB. :mad:

Ebenezer
10-07-2005, 12:07 PM
The veterans on this team were 9-7 and a sniff away from the playoffs last year...time in the NFL is faster than fleeting. They, even more than the fans, want to win today. They have the interests of TODAY in mind. They could care less about the "future" of a franchise that can just as well cut them tomorrow. Think about your work. You have a project to finish or a goal to hit. Do you want the actions of a new hire to put completion of that in jeopardy, thus affecting your job, your bonus, your raise, etc? Of course not and neither do pro athletes. This was just one more landmine in handing the job to JP without a competition...whether that competition came from DB or KH or SM or Joe Ferguson. Employees, whether they be athletes or not, want to know management is behind them and going to give them every chance to succeed. We expect in all of our lines of work why shouldn't athletes? :2cents:

Mr. Cynical
10-07-2005, 12:10 PM
Not to mention, he doesn't care about the Bills future and if JP Losman is able to develop. He just wants the stats and the wins now, so he can go to a good team at the end of the season. It's a shame. Moulds used to be one of my favorite players, but he is really nothing more than a whiny ******* lately. :ill:

We can blame Moulds and some of the other whiny vets like Troy Vincent, who pushed our future back a little farther. What would suck is if this season turns out like last year's and it's a waste and we still never got the time to groom Losman. mularkey knows that Losman needs experience and he won't get it on the bench.

Moulds needs to STFU and do his job. Quit dropping the ball, taking unneccessary penalties, missing your routes and blaming the QB. :mad:
:bf1:

TedMock
10-07-2005, 12:12 PM
The veterans on this team were 9-7 and a sniff away from the playoffs last year...time in the NFL is faster than fleeting. They, even more than the fans, want to win today. They have the interests of TODAY in mind. They could care less about the "future" of a franchise that can just as well cut them tomorrow. Think about your work. You have a project to finish or a goal to hit. Do you want the actions of a new hire to put completion of that in jeopardy, thus affecting your job, your bonus, your raise, etc? Of course not and neither do pro athletes. This was just one more landmine in handing the job to JP without a competition...whether that competition came from DB or KH or SM or Joe Ferguson. Employees, whether they be athletes or not, want to know management is behind them and going to give them every chance to succeed. We expect in all of our lines of work why shouldn't athletes? :2cents:

Great point, and I completely agree. I'd also add that management should expect its most seasoned employees to work hard, and do their jobs effectively. They should also hope that the experienced employees act as mentors to the inexperienced, and act in a mature manner when times are difficult.

finsrclowns
10-07-2005, 12:18 PM
And if Holcomb plays like he has when he's been in there? Then what? Matthews? The Pinto Guy? The Chef?

Drama queen stuff. If this team is in trouble it's because right now we're not good enough. Our lack of depth may prove to expose the team to be a pretender soon enough. But the bottom line is Moulds statements only show that he's paying attention to what he's seeing on the field. That's it. What Mularkey did was take the only shot he has. Another 75 yard passing day from JP against the fins at home and he'd lose the team for sure. At least now if they go down in flames the players know the coach tried to do what he could and they just weren't good enough. If you think any of the coaches you named would watch a month of the QB play we've seen and not try something different, well I beg to differ.

kinigirly
10-07-2005, 12:24 PM
Its because of drama and decisions like this that make the Bills the biggest joke in the NFL. Every facet of our team from top to bottom is dysfuctional. I swear what more could possibly happen to this team??

Michael82
10-07-2005, 12:30 PM
Before I forget, Welcome to BillsZone, kinigirly. :beers:

I hope you enjoy your stay and get as hooked as everyone else. :snicker:

Oh and Nice thread! I sent you some zonebucks to gamble with or whatever. :D

Historian
10-07-2005, 12:49 PM

I think Moulds has a little ax to grind. Losman really laid him out a couple times against the Saints, with high throws. He took one shot to the ribs that I did not honestly think he would get up from...the DB did not pull up.

On the other hand, maybe Eric Moulds should line up at DT. Perhaps we won't give up 200 yards on the ground then.

Ebenezer
10-07-2005, 12:55 PM
I think Moulds has a little ax to grind. Losman really laid him out a couple times against the Saints, with high throws. He took one shot to the ribs that I did not honestly think he would get up from...the DB did not pull up.

On the other hand, maybe Eric Moulds should line up at DT. Perhaps we won't give up 200 yards on the ground then.
he does tackle well and doesn't give up when the other side gets an INT.

kinigirly
10-07-2005, 01:02 PM
Thanks Mikey I greatly appreciate it! Football season is a hell of a lot more stressful when you're 500 miles from home. I've got to vent it somehow. Look I know we all see this differently but we all want the same thing in the end right? I'm looking towards investments. I've been watching the Bills since I had a pacifier in my mouth, and after 25 years I'm ready for change. I just believe in being a little more patient than others...haha I guess I'm just used to seeing bad season after season maybe? I believe in JP, I saw his passion in college, and I'm a firm believer in the first year growing pains. I guess we won't know who's right and who's wrong for another year

justasportsfan
10-07-2005, 01:48 PM
Moulds has stuck w/ the bills even when he had better offers (none of them had a sundowner close by though). He's unselfishly helped groom younger wr during his entire career.

He is now at the final years of his career and wants to win. He's hasn't had an established qb throwing to him in his entire career w. the bills. He has every right to want to win now. Forget waiting for JP. He's waited long enough for a decent qb his entire career and not once has he been a TO type of player for the bills.

If it were Evans complaining, that would be a diffeent story. If I were in Moulds shoes, I would want to experience winning before I retire. Moulds may be gone by the time JP develops.

Takeo left Cincy because he wanted to win as well. Instead he has to wait for a qb to develop again? He'll end up being in the same shoes as Moulds. Same goes w/ Fletcher.

Ebenezer
10-07-2005, 02:00 PM
Moulds has stuck w/ the bills even when he had better offers (none of them had a sundowner close by though). He's unselfishly helped groom younger wr during his entire career.

He is now at the final years of his career and wants to win. He's hasn't had an established qb throwing to him in his entire career w. the bills. He has every right to want to win now. Forget waiting for JP. He's waited long enough for a decent qb his entire career and not once has he been a TO type of player for the bills.

If it were Evans complaining, that would be a diffeent story. If I were in Moulds shoes, I would want to experience winning before I retire. Moulds may be gone by the time JP develops.

Takeo left Cincy because he wanted to win as well. Instead he has to wait for a qb to develop again? He'll end up being in the same shoes as Moulds. Same goes w/ Fletcher.
Fletcher won with Warner in St. Louis.

Historian
10-07-2005, 02:10 PM

He will get his chance to put his money where his mouth is next off-season.

My guess is that he takes the highest offer...even if it's with the Cardinals.

justasportsfan
10-07-2005, 02:11 PM
Fletcher won with Warner in St. Louis.but he still wants to win. He plays w/ a winning attitude. He should reap the benefits of hard work by winning.

Right now, the qb position is what keeps us from doing so. I don't blame the vets one bit. If JP didn't get injured last year, he'd be going in in relief of Drew and would be ready by now . It's no ones fault (maybe Vincents) but that's how it is. The entire team should not be punished for JP's lack of experience which is causing us to lose.

Ebenezer
10-07-2005, 02:20 PM
but he still wants to win. He plays w/ a winning attitude. He should reap the benefits of hard work by winning.

Right now, the qb position is what keeps us from doing so. I don't blame the vets one bit. If JP didn't get injured last year, he'd be going in in relief of Drew and would be ready by now . It's no ones fault (maybe Vincents) but that's how it is. The entire team should not be punished for JP's lack of experience which is causing us to lose.
I agree. Again, circumstance. We got 3 years of GW because he went 8-8 in 2002 - I still say he was going to fired until they caught lightning in a bottle. DB wasn't supposed to play the entire year. JP got hurt and then the Bills got over and went on a winning streak and JP couldn't play when he got healthy because they had a chance to make the playoffs.

justasportsfan
10-07-2005, 02:58 PM
He will get his chance to put his money where his mouth is next off-season.

My guess is that he takes the highest offer...even if it's with the Cardinals.and nothing wrong w/ that. He's already restructured and taken less for the bills not just once. Winfield and Price bailed on us after their first contract was done. Moulds was even trying to make pRice stay.

Moulds is not even my favorite player but if there is any one particular player who's been there for the team all these years, it's him.

Novacane
10-07-2005, 03:07 PM
but he still wants to win. He plays w/ a winning attitude. He should reap the benefits of hard work by winning.

Right now, the qb position is what keeps us from doing so. .

It was a big factor for sure but if we keep giving up 200yds a game rushing we will keep losing. No matter who plays QB. Laying it all on the QB is wrong.

finsrclowns
10-07-2005, 03:25 PM
It was a big factor for sure but if we keep giving up 200yds a game rushing we will keep losing. No matter who plays QB. Laying it all on the QB is wrong.

It's not all on the QB. But if we could hold onto the ball on offense for at least half the game that might help the D.

Novacane
10-07-2005, 03:34 PM
It's not all on the QB. But if we could hold onto the ball on offense for at least half the game that might help the D.

Agreed but a lot of that is the D's fault themsleves. Especially the last game. Not being able to stop 3rd and longs killed us. That was not the offenses fault. The coachs deserve a lot of the blame for that also for refusing to commit to the run. We were told we were going to be a running team that had a great D who could carry a young QB. They lied about the first and were wrong about the 2nd.

FlyingDutchman
10-07-2005, 03:58 PM
Anyone who doesnt think Eric has a right to speak up is out of their mind. He has been on a mediocre team at best for the last ten years, most of that time with a struggling offense. He has watched his career go by while doing his best and catching balls from whatever dip s*** we put in the backfield. The clock is ticking and he knows it. To say he's selfish is unreasonable. He is finally speaking up after all these years of shotty QB play when he could have just left town. He didnt though, he has been loyal to this team through the years and deserves to win for a season. I imagine it must be very frustrating for veterans who have contracts and age on the horizon, and they just have to swallow another season in hopes that this kid JP turns into something some day. They have the right to want to win and thats not being selfish. Say our first pick was a cornerback and he kept getting burned and costing us games, would it then be unfair to remove him for a little til he gets whats goin on? Obviously the best way to learn is to play, but why throw him into the battle until he knows whats going on. If people say Eric is selfish and no one player is above the team, then why isnt that selfish to say JP should stay in at the expense of everyone elses season? Play for today, play the best players and those who earn their spots, I dont think anyone wants to see anymore 75 yard passing performances this year and low scoring all year, other peoples jobs are on the line besides Losman.

Luisito23
10-07-2005, 03:59 PM

finsrclowns
10-07-2005, 04:01 PM
Agreed but a lot of that is the D's fault themsleves. Especially the last game. Not being able to stop 3rd and longs killed us. That was not the offenses fault. The coachs deserve a lot of the blame for that also for refusing to commit to the run. We were told we were going to be a running team that had a great D who could carry a young QB. They lied about the first and were wrong about the 2nd.

The D was soft in the Saints game true. But as bad as they played they still held them under 20 points. You've got to be able to score 20 on the Aints, right? But JP just wasn't doing his part. If teams stack the run you need to be able to make them pay for it downfield, or failing that at least be efficient on 3rd down. I think Mularkey threw more than expected on 1st down because that's the easiest down to pass on since most teams play run on 1st down. But that only helps if you can complete some passes. I happen to agree with you that we should have run more and with more committment and truthfully I'm surprised they didn't have JP run more rollouts and QB draws to take advantage of his legs. :crap:

I do agree that the run D is a very serious concern. The problem wasn't letting PW go per se. The problem was letting him go without an adequate replacement. And now Edwards is gone, probably for the year. Not good. Sape flat out sucks. If Tim Anderson doesn't step up huge we are screwed.

Luisito23
10-07-2005, 04:08 PM

Classic post EB......... :bf1: :bf1: :bf1:

They wanna win WE wanna win, 3 straight weeks of suffering, something's gotta change, benching JP is not the end of the world, he ain't going no
where, if Holcomb fails (wishing he won't) Losman is right back in there is just 1 game.....
What is the point of stepping in the grass if your not trying to win, not in the future but now.......

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!

Novacane
10-07-2005, 04:14 PM
Classic post EB......... :bf1: :bf1: :bf1:

They wanna win WE wanna win, 3 straight weeks of suffering, something's gotta change, benching JP is not the end of the world, he ain't going no
where, if Holcomb fails (wishing he won't) Losman is right back in there is just 1 game.....

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!

So Holcomb is only going to get 1 game? The Bills would look even dumber than they do now if they make another change after 1 game.

Luisito23
10-07-2005, 04:32 PM
So Holcomb is only going to get 1 game? The Bills would look even dumber than they do now if they make another change after 1 game.

If K.H. does what's expected, and help us win, not get us the win, but helps us, and we succeed, I see no reason why not to stick with him.
Point is this team is trying to win by changing 1 of our biggest weakness wich is the Q.B...I know our OL is not great by far, but if my man Willis is getting his yards, why can't J.P. pass for more than 80 yds. which is pathetic..
3 straight weeks I hope to see our passing game get something going, and nothing's happen, 1 passing TD to a tackle which happen in the 2nd.. Qtr. of our 1st. game..... :down: :down: :down:
We have 2 good recievers, 1 great R.B. and you can't even give me 100 yds..
Something is gotta change and I agree with this move 200%...

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!

colin
10-07-2005, 09:01 PM
JP has played so terribly i really wonder how any of you people say we should stick with him no matter what.

have any of you thought about what if he is a bust? what if he gets hurt (again) or what if he needs a few more years to get there (chad pennington anyone?)?

they moron QB myopia that gets tossed around the bills message boards (just like the flutie johnson sh1t) really shows who the ******s are.

we lost 2 winnable games becasue of how terrible our O is. we have 3 points all year in the second half of ball games. we can run the ball, and our D is good although they really need to shore up against the run and on third down.

the bottom line is right we should be 3-1 or 2-2, and we aren't because of this silly JP Losman experiment.

he doesn't have it now, and may well never have it.

LifetimeBillsFan
10-08-2005, 03:49 AM
My issue with Moulds is not that he and the other vets want to win now and do not feel that they can with JP at QB, it is that Moulds has been publicly undermining JP with his statements to the press since before they lost the Tampa Bay game.

The article about him being unhappy with having to start over again with a rookie QB appeared after JP had his best game of the season against Houston and before the Bills had lost a game. That tells me that Moulds has not wanted to play with JP no matter how well he did this season.

More importantly, if Moulds or any of the other vets on the team did not feel that going with JP was the right thing to do, what they needed to do was go to the coach in private and express their feelings and concerns to the coach and, if necessary, GM in that manner. One thing that you do not do as a professional athlete is undercut a teammate in public--even if you hate his guts! What happens in the lockerroom stays in the lockerroom. That is an essential element of team unity and chemistry. Moulds violated that--not once, but twice: first in explicitly telling the press that Losman, not he, was responsible for the INT by the Saints (we've all heard the standard and proper answer that he should have given to the press that it was "a miscommunication") and, then, by telling the press that Holcomb was starting because he and other veteran players want to win now. What that amounts to is a slap in the face to JP Losman and every other guy in the lockerroom who is willing to let JP lead the offense. Anyone who has ever played a team sport knows that you just don't do that to a teammate unless he has totally F'd up and you are not only blameless yourself, but a captain and undisputed leader of the team--and, even then, only if he is ***** up because of a lack of effort. It's just not done! But, Moulds did it anyway.

If Moulds and a solid core of the vets on the team wanted M.Mularkey to switch to Holcomb they could have gone to him in private, but Moulds chose not to do it that way. He made their grievance public. By doing so, he put all of their butts on the line---which probably doesn't matter to him and a couple of the others who don't figure to be with the Bills next year---and forced Mularkey's hand. The vets have no choice now but to perform better than they have or they will lose all credibility and many of them their jobs with the Bills next season--whether they want to leave Buffalo or figured that they would be leaving or not. And, they probably will perform better, at least for awhile.

For his part, Mularkey had no choice but to go along with Moulds' demand that he switch to Holcomb. And, it was not necessarily a sign of weakness for him to do so at this stage. If he had not made the switch, Mularkey, probably not knowing how many vets actually agree with Moulds, knew that he could have a full-scale lockerroom revolt on his hands if JP played poorly again and the team lost. If that happened, Mularkey would be out of a job at the end of the season. By switching to Holcomb now, rather than at a time of his own choosing, however, Mularkey has put the whole onus of winning squarely on the shoulders of Moulds and the veterans who support him (it may be a significant number, but it's probably not all of the vets). If they win enough for the team to make the playoffs, Mularkey will keep his job. If they don't win, Mularkey can tell them all to sit down and shut up--he's the boss. If they only win a couple of games, but lose enough to be eliminated from the playoffs, Mularkey can say that he gave them their shot, but they weren't good enough to make the playoffs and now it is time for them to shut up and help JP get ready for next season. In the first instance Mularkey may look weak, but he is a winner and keeps his job. In the latter two instances, Mularkey can re-impose control over the team down the road and show the owner that he is strong enough to handle a potentially divisive lockerroom revolt and get on with the job of preparing the team's QB of the future for next season.

While it may not be the way he wants to handle things, Mularkey is handling this situation the way that he needs to handle it at this point. He's giving Moulds and those other vets in the lockerroom who support Moulds enough rope to hang themselves. They have forced him to make a move at the QB position because they believe that they can make the playoffs with Holcomb at QB--now it is on them, not Mularkey, for them to do so. If they fail, it is their fault, not Mularkey's and he will then have a free hand to run the team as he wishes for as long as he is still the coach.

Ralph Wilson has been around long enough to know that Mularkey has been put in a tough situation and I suspect that Wilson will be watching how Mularkey handles it very closely. The fate of TD and Mularkey with the Bills could well hinge on how Mularkey handles things and what happens over the next few weeks. The outcome, which will likely not become apparent until after the season is over, could be shocking for a lot of Bills fans.