• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

Let's evaluate TD objectively....

Ok, this thread is to list the good moves and bad moves that TD made since coming to Buffalo. I'm counting on some help, since I know I won't be able to remember everything:

Good:
    1. Ditching Peerless Price
    2. Drafting McGahee
    3. Jerry Gray (regardless of this year, he made a terrible D into a great one)
    4. Free Agents- Takeo Spikes, London Fletcher, Sam Adams and Lawyer Milloy
    5. Drafting Lee Evans
    6. McNally

Bad:
    1. Mike Williams (drafting and the huge contract)
    2. Gregg Williams and Kevin Gilbride
    3. Not replacing Pat Williams
    4. Consistently neglecting the O-line
    5. Drew Bledsoe*
    6. STILL NOT WINNING AFTER 3 1/4 years!

Still under deliberation:
    1. Mike Mularkey
    2. JP Losman

*= Even though Bledsoe didn't work out, I give TD partial credit for this move. We desperately needed a QB and he was by far the best available at the time.

Please add to the list.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website
  • Mudflap1
    Next Question!
    • Nov 2004

Re: Let's evaluate TD objectively....

He's been here for 4 1/4 years...

You have to list Williams and Gilbride as two different mistakes. Williams was here with Mike Sheppard originally. Gilbride was brought in the next year as another Donahoe puppet.

Also, Greg Williams chose Jerry Gray, not Tom Donahoe.

Mike Mularkey chose Mouse McNally.

Bad: Josh Reed, 2nd round pick.

Jon

Comment

• Mudflap1
      Next Question!
      • Nov 2004

I posted this a few days ago.

10. Gregg Williams' 3+ years.

9. Neglecting the offensive line. Yes, Mike Williams was drafted high (although he looks like he may never get over the hump from average to slightly above average lineman to stud). There is no excuse for this. The first thing you do when your rebuild a football team is to build a solid offensive and defensive line. That doesn't necessarily mean all first round draft picks, but a mix of high draft picks, solid veterans, and lower round draft picks with that might be overlooked. He has consistently patchworked the offensive line and it gets every quarterback killed and produces an inconsistent running attack.

8. The Drew Bledsoe/quarterback situation debacle. First he trades a 1st round pick for Bledsoe, who is then knighted as the savior to the franchise, then 3 years later he cuts him, stating that Losman will take us farther. We'll see about Losman, but so far, disastrous. Someone brought up a great point about this. If we were terrible last year, or Losman was annointed the starter last year and Bledsoe was gone, we would probably all be a little bit more lenient, because the team was 6-10 in 2003, and was not looking good. However, the 9-7 season last year really did raise expectations for everybody. MM and TD then state the Losman is starting and he will take the team farther. What else are you supposed to think? You think that he is ready, or at least ready enough, to manage the offense and that the team will win games. If the Bills were looking to win THIS YEAR (which they should at least for the fans' and Tom Donahoe's sake, because the fans have put up with enough mediocrity, and Tom Donahoe has had enough time), then Losman should not have started this year. He should have learned the offensive behind a capable veteran, gotten some spot duty, and taken the reigns next year or the year after.

7. Neglecting the defensive line. Yes, this is something we haven't talked about much. Big Pat and Sam Adams were a fine combo, however when Pat was here, Aaron Schobel was a decent pass rusher, but was mediocre against the run, and we had no other defensive end. Now Pat is gone, we have no suitable replacement, and the defensive ends are still very inconsistent overall. No pass rush yesterday against a very mediocre Saints team.

6. The smoke and mirrors. Donahoe seems to have an excuse every year (see the excuses thread). No more excuses, it's been 5+ years. Now his new thing is that he went into the locker room and ranted and raged to the team to play better. Hey genius! You're the one who put everyone in this position.

5. Hiring mediocre coaches. Granted, the book isn't closed yet on Mike Mularkey, but it's certainly fair to say that Tom Donahoe seems to pick "good 'ol boys" that he's comfortable with, instead of coaches like Cowher who are fiery and are born leaders. Gregg Williams is a great defensive coordinator, but he didn't have the leadership or charisma to lead. Mike Mularkey may have been a good offensive coordinator, but he doesn't appear (as of yet) to have enough to motivate the players to get the seasons off to good starts, and may in fact lose the team completely this season. Look at the guys that were hired or available in the years that Williams and Mularkey were hired -- John Fox, Marvin Lewis (although, in all fairness to TD, he didn't want to come here), Charlie Weis, Romeo Crennel, Dennis Green, Jim Mora Jr., Lovie Smith, Mike Nolan, Nick Saban (although he probably wouldn't have come here), etc. With the possible exception of Nolan, and MAYBE Lovie Smith, I'd take all of those guys over Mularkey and Williams. What do most of those guys have in common? They are leaders who probably wouldn't roll over for Tom Donahoe. Who did we interview? Guys like Fassel and Jauron, because they are pushovers.

4. Our drafts have been very hit and miss. Drafts in general can be hit and miss, but if we aren't going to pursue any big-name free agents (or free agents in general), we have to make the drafts count. Again, some good picks, some bad ones.

3. He has put the business end of the team ahead of wins and losses. Why do you think he just (shhhh! quietly) got a contract extension? It's because 'ol Ralph is getting fat and happy while the suckers (us, the fans) pay lots of dough to see this mediocre product perform year in and year out, without them ever getting any better. Maybe if he fielded a good team we would be even more excited about shelling out money and they could make more of a profit?

2. Our opinion of Tom Donahoe shouldn't change whether this team gets to the playoffs or not this year. He should go anyway. He's had enough time. If this team squeaks into the playoffs (which looks like a distant miracle right now), he has still had enough time.

1. His record in 5+ years is 27-41 with no playoff appearances.

Please add your thoughts. We should mail this completed list (along with the Tom Donahoe excuses) into the Buffalo News Sports mailroom, and maybe buffalobills.com.

Jon

Comment

• Historian
        2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
        • Dec 2002

Gregg Williams

(he sucked)

Comment

• chernobylwraiths
          • Jan 2003

Originally posted by OpIv37
          Ok, this thread is to list the good moves and bad moves that TD made since coming to Buffalo. I'm counting on some help, since I know I won't be able to remember everything:

Good:
          2. Drafting McGahee
          5. Drafting Lee Evans
          6. McNally

Bad:
          5. Drew Bledsoe*

1. Mike Mularkey
          2. JP Losman

*= Even though Bledsoe didn't work out, I give TD partial credit for this move. We desperately needed a QB and he was by far the best available at the time.

Please add to the list.

Good:

Ditching Peerless AND getting a first round draft choice
          Drafting McGahee, Clements, Williams, Evans.
          FA: Spikes, Fletcher, Milloy, Adams, Vincent
          NOT taking the "sure thing" Kenyatta Walker"
          Still getting Kelsay in the second round after taking McGahee
          Drafting McGee
          Getting us out of cap hell earlier than expected.

Bad:

Hiring Williams as first HC. It was Williams who picked his staff and after firing Sheppard after one year picked Gilbride. I read somewhere that Donahoe didn't want him to bring in Gilbride. Not getting more talent at offensive line.

I honestly can't believe that some people think drafting MIke Williams was a bad choice. Sure he may not be a future HOFer but he is an above average RT IMO. Bledsoe being brought here gave a lot of fans hope. It is not Bledsoe's fault that his shortcomings were never addressed. Everyone knew he needed an above average line in order to succeed, yet he never got that. Somehow, because he was never given the tools that everyone knew he needed, many said that he sucked.

I also find it humorous that many thought Mularkey did a decent job last year, especially after the poor start. Now, he supposedly sucks as well. I'm sure if we got Belechick here and the team went 3-13, many would say he sucks as well. This year was going to be rough trying to get a young QB ready, but of course as many said last year under Bledsoe, "it can't get any worse". I guess we have seen that it can get MUCH worse.

Personally, I think both Mularkey and Donahoe get one more year after this. If there isn't significant improvement, then they both should go. This means that Losman deserves every chance to lose his job over the next two seasons. Too much has been given up for him and this organization. Getting rid of TD without getting rid of Mularkey isn't going to happen. A losing year this year as much as I hate it seems to be inevitable in order to get the kids the needed experience and there is plenty of youth on this team. Mularkey deserves as much time as Williams got and we all know that Wilson hates paying guys that aren't working so I don't think MM or TD would get fired before next offseason.

Comment

• Mudflap1
            Next Question!
            • Nov 2004

27-41

Jon

Comment

• Dozerdog
              In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
              • Jul 2002

TD doesn't hire the assistant coaches.

He allows his head coaches (like most teams in the league) to hire whom they see fit. TD didn't coax Sam Wyche out of retirement, or get ex-oiler buddies Gillbride and Jerry Gray on the staff under Williams.

Comment

• frank74
                • Apr 2005

Good:
                2. Drafting McGahee
                5. Drafting Lee Evans
                6. McNally

Bad:
                5. Drew Bledsoe*

1. Mike Mularkey
                2. JP Losman

Please add to the list.
                nice, pretty accurate except, i don't know if mcgahee was truly necessary and i only say that meaning we should have been addressing the offensive line in the draft. plus, you could put a decent running back behind a great offensive line and your running game flourishes. i am not a mcgahee basher at all, as a matter of fact the bills should have designed their offense around him this year, but in the past, our offensive line should have been addressed more meaning we could have passed on mcgahee and i think we would be fine today. just my opinion.

one other bad move.....not hiring marvin lewis

Comment

• Captain Obvious
                  I can feel your anger.I can feel your hate. Give in to the DARK SIDE! With every neg you become MINE
                  • Jul 2005

Bad:

Two Ist day picks 2002 Ryan Denney and Coy Wire are nothing more than backups
                  Not including Marques Sullivan TD has only drafted 1 2nd day pick since hes been here who is a starter (Terrence McGee)

Here to point out the obvious....

Comment

• Sportsuser101
                    • Feb 2005

I would do that Bledsoe deal over again. As I've said before without Bledsoe I wouldn't think that Adams, Milloy, Spikes or Vincent would be here. And if they did come here they'd want a kings ransom.

If not Mike Williams then who? You say TD has neglected the o-line but then draft who Bryant McKinnie? He's worked out as well as Mike has. Levi Jones? He was a reach where the Bengals drafted him.

You guys failed to mention the 2 good trades and some would say 3 good trades. We traded Kenyatta Walker for Nate Clements and Travis Henry. What about Willis McGahee for Peerless Price which then gave us the money to sign both Spikes and Adams. Even the Bledsoe trade worked out because it brought a name and excitement to the Bills bringing in the talent on defense. How about getting Jonas Jennings with the last pick of the 3rd round. Yes he was constantly hurt but when he played he played well. How about Schobel in the 2nd? You failed to mention Dick LeBeau coming on board. Terrence McGee in the 4th round? Looks good to me. What about Lee Evans? Can you imagine if we drafted Reggie Williams if he fell to us?

I personally think TD has done what he could have done. He put money into the offensive line which hasn't even been looked at. Check out the Bills salary on the offensive line compared to some other teams. You will be suprised. Sooner or later you have to let the players do the playing. I think TD has done a good job but the coaches haven't done theres. I like his method of taking the best player available in the draft and it has worked. I wonder how you guys would have felt if we took Shawn Andrews or Veron Carey instead of Lee Evans because offensive line was a "bigger need".
                    Dareus - 1st Round Pick

Comment

• frank74
                      • Apr 2005

Originally posted by WILLIS21
                      Bad:

Not including Marques Sullivan TD has only drafted 1 2nd day pick since hes been here who is a starter (Terrence McGee)
                      very true

Comment

• Sportsuser101
                        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by WILLIS21
                        Bad:

And how many teams can you name that have more then 1 2nd day pick as a starter? There's not many.
                        Dareus - 1st Round Pick

Comment

• Mr. Cynical
                          Maybe?
                          • Oct 2003

Good:
                          2. Drafting McGahee
                          5. Drafting Lee Evans
                          6. McNally

Bad:
                          5. Drew Bledsoe*

1. Mike Mularkey
                          2. JP Losman

Please add to the list.
                          I don't know if Mouse is a pro to be honest. Yeah, he is "the man" by reputation, and yeah, you can't make chicken salad from chicken s**t, but at some point he has to be accountable. Our oline sucks.

I agree with the rest, although I don't see a need for an asterisk by Drew's name. He was a huge mistake. He cost us a #1 pick, and that's independent of the Price deal. Bottom line is he still traded a #1 for Drew - if he didn't, we could have had two #1's that year. He also cost us $21M+ dollars for 1/2 a season. Finally he gave us false hope, the worst thing of all.

Comment

• vicmantak
                            • Jun 2005

Objectively:

Good:
                            1. Peerless Price franchise tag.
                            2. Drew Bledsoe (agree or not he generated us a great buzz)
                            3. Nate Clements (by far his best ever drafted player)
                            4. Built a respectable DEFENSE (Posey, Fletcher, Clements, Spikes, Adams, Milloy, Vincent, McGee and maybe Shobel)
                            5. Avoided salary cap hell

Bad:
                            1. No championships... sorry, playoffs...
                            2. Unexperienced head coaches
                            3. Bills are mainly built (and also destroyed...) by FA
                            4. Zero priority to the OL and Mike Williams...
                            5. Mediocre at best draft balance (no starting material in mid or late rounds)
                            6. No reasons to be proud.

Unobjectively:

Good:
                            1. Keeps Hope (SOLD OUT tickets, Bills makes constant "noise" and amazingly he really knows how to involve everyone)
                            2. Innovative
                            3. Injects Stamina (agree or not...)

Bad:
                            1. Bad Fantasy Football GM (gambler)
                            2. Souvereign
                            3. Surrounded by "kids"

"Defeat is simply a signal to press onward"
                            - Helen Keller

"What we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down"

- Mary Pickford

Comment

• Lone Stranger
                              • Sep 2002

27-41. Bad enough that we have that record but what dismays me is the lack a quality depth at most positions particularly both lines. All these gurus TD is supposed to have on his staff...What a joke!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X