PDA

View Full Version : On This Date in Bills History....

Historian
10-08-2005, 05:39 AM
1966- Bills kicker Booth Lusteg mised four field goals as the Bills lost to the Patriots 20-10 at War Memorial.

1967- The Bills defeat their former mentor Lou Saban in a 17-10 victory over his Denver Broncos.

1980- Chuck Knox trades a low round draft pick for free agent safety Bill Simpson, whom he had coached in Los Angeles.

1995- The Bills defeat the Jets for Levy's 100th victory, but lose wide receiver Andre Reed, as he tears his hamstring muscle off the bone.

1998- In a ceremony at Boston College, Doug Flutie has his number 22 retired.

chernobylwraiths
10-08-2005, 09:02 AM
1966- Bills kicker Booth Lusteg mised four field goals as the Bills lost to the Patriots 20-10 at War Memorial.

1967- The Bills defeat their former mentor Lou Saban in a 17-10 victory over his Denver Broncos.

1980- Chuck Knox trades a low round draft pick for free agent safety Bill Simpson, whom he had coached in Los Angeles.

1995- The Bills defeat the Jets for Levy's 100th victory, but lose wide receiver Andre Reed, as he tears his hamstring muscle off the bone.

1998- In a ceremony at Boston College, Doug Flutie has his number 22 retired.

Two things, how do you trade a draft pick for a free agent? And besides the fact that he played here, the last one isn't really Bills history. :D

On a side note, is that the same kicker who got beat up while walking home from the game?

The_Philster
10-08-2005, 09:04 AM
And besides the fact that he played here, the last one isn't really Bills history. :D Well..he took a few players from the Bills with him to the ceremony :idunno:
On a side note, is that the same kicker who got beat up while walking home from the game?the one and the same

Historian
10-08-2005, 12:59 PM
how do you trade a draft pick for a free agent?

There wasn't unfettered free agency back then. You had to give some type of compensation.

Cntrygal
10-08-2005, 02:23 PM
Billsology or Phil....

the one and the same

I don't remember ever hearing about that. Do you know where there's a link to it.

pintonick96
10-08-2005, 02:44 PM
thats how it should be, you screw up and we can kick your ass. It'll take the pain of the loss out of the fans.

The_Philster
10-08-2005, 03:02 PM
Billsology or Phil.... I don't remember ever hearing about that. Do you know where there's a link to it.http://hometown.aol.com/bkbubco/stories.html

October 16: Booth misses wide right on a 23-yard FG with six seconds left as Bills and Chargers play to a 17-17 tie. It was his third miss in four attempts this day. Ralph Wilson tried to console his kicker: “You’ll make them forget that miss.” Said Lusteg: “Contrary to what people think, I still think I’m a good kicker. Sure I’m disappointed. I hate to miss, I hate to lose. But Gogolak missed a couple, too. I wasn’t nervous before that kick, I was confident. I felt good, I hit it good. I didn’t choke, I just missed it.”

October 16: An unidentified Bill on Lusteg: “Everyone blows one at one time or another, but this guy will never be a real pro if he’s going to sulk like that. He felt sorry for himself all week after the Boston game. He better discipline himself and pull out of it.”

October 16: After the loss, a disconsolate Lusteg walks home from the stadium, only to be attacked on Buffalo’s Delaware Avenue by three men. “They pulled over to the curb and started yelling, ‘You bum’ and cursing me,” Booth said. “One hit me and the other ripped my shirt. It was still broad daylight and people were around, so they jumped back in their car and drove away.”

October 17: Booth refuses to sign a complaint against the “over-wrought, irresponsible and youthful punks” he said attacked him following the Chargers game. “I consider it an unfortunate incident that does not represent the true spirit of Buffalonians.”

Cntrygal
10-08-2005, 10:11 PM
LOL!

Great link! I love the "wildman" story too!