PDA

View Full Version : Some thoughts on the game....

OpIv37
10-09-2005, 06:24 PM
The Good:

-WE WON! In the long run, that's what matters
-Defensive backs had a huge game- it's gonna be tough to keep Nate here.
-Sam Adams. I think it takes this guy about 5 games to get going- remember last year? He got benched in Baltimore but came back better than ever.
-Tim Anderson is at least as good as Edwards and may prove to be an upgrade.
-Holcomb is our QB at this point- he made some plays that Losman wasn't making
- WR's finally getting involved. Moulds had a good game (which IMO he had to after all the **** he talked last week), Evans had two key receptions, and Josh Reed had some good downfield blocks for Willis. Of course, this goes back to Holcomb.
-Lindell hit a 47 yard FG at a crucial juncture in the game- WHAT?!? I have to admit that so far he has proved me wrong- he missed one kick against NO and other than that, he's been excellent.
-Special teams is back to form- expect a touchdown out of them in the next game or two.
-TURNOVERS. I realize this is no analytical bombshell and it's been said before, but when we create turnovers, we win, end of story.

The Bad:
-While Holcomb was a step up over Losman, he still has his faults. He had that stupid backwards pass play for big negative yardage, which was one of my biggest complaints about Losman. He also seems to lack an ability to feel the pass rush (hence the fumble that Shaud Williams recovered). But for now, he's winning and hopefully Wyche can help out with these problems.
-PENALTIES. Not as many, but they all seem to come at incredibly bad times. Miami's only offensive production in the first half was due to penalties, and Reed's holding call on McGahee's run at the end was just stupid.
-Pass blocking is still sub-standard.
-I'm glad we play ancient Testaverde next cuz this D cannot stop a QB scramble to save their lives.
-We're still being outcoached in the second half.
-Play calling on 3rd down is horrendous. On the play where Holcomb fumbled, I saw Shaud go to the LOS creating a 5-wide set, and I knew something bad was going to happen. Our O-line just isn't good enough to go 5-wide. There are other examples too, but this is the one that comes immediately to mind.

Despite the negatives, we came away with a big win when we desperately needed one, and the team showed some improvement and some promise. One game at a time... now bring on the Jets.

juice
10-09-2005, 07:00 PM
Good post Op..

Although I feel holcomb played a near perfect game, managed the offense, didn't throw a pick and didn't make major mistakes.

Holcomb enabled Willis to be a major factor in the run game by not trying to do too much which many times causes turnovers.

MDFINFAN
10-09-2005, 07:31 PM
We set a record for penalties, stopped you on the Moulds TD for a FG and as usual a holding call prior to Moulds TD. Again we beat ourselves, we came out flat and we helped sustain your drives..same pattern as the pervious 3 games. If we can cut the penalties, we might have actually won this game. Oh well, it's a part of the game, Good win on you guys part..

Kerr
10-09-2005, 09:04 PM
The Good:

-WE WON! In the long run, that's what matters
-Defensive backs had a huge game- it's gonna be tough to keep Nate here.
-Sam Adams. I think it takes this guy about 5 games to get going- remember last year? He got benched in Baltimore but came back better than ever.
-Tim Anderson is at least as good as Edwards and may prove to be an upgrade.
-Holcomb is our QB at this point- he made some plays that Losman wasn't making
- WR's finally getting involved. Moulds had a good game (which IMO he had to after all the **** he talked last week), Evans had two key receptions, and Josh Reed had some good downfield blocks for Willis. Of course, this goes back to Holcomb.
-Lindell hit a 47 yard FG at a crucial juncture in the game- WHAT?!? I have to admit that so far he has proved me wrong- he missed one kick against NO and other than that, he's been excellent.
-Special teams is back to form- expect a touchdown out of them in the next game or two.
-TURNOVERS. I realize this is no analytical bombshell and it's been said before, but when we create turnovers, we win, end of story.

The Bad:
-While Holcomb was a step up over Losman, he still has his faults. He had that stupid backwards pass play for big negative yardage, which was one of my biggest complaints about Losman. He also seems to lack an ability to feel the pass rush (hence the fumble that Shaud Williams recovered). But for now, he's winning and hopefully Wyche can help out with these problems.
-PENALTIES. Not as many, but they all seem to come at incredibly bad times. Miami's only offensive production in the first half was due to penalties, and Reed's holding call on McGahee's run at the end was just stupid.
-Pass blocking is still sub-standard.
-I'm glad we play ancient Testaverde next cuz this D cannot stop a QB scramble to save their lives.
-We're still being outcoached in the second half.
-Play calling on 3rd down is horrendous. On the play where Holcomb fumbled, I saw Shaud go to the LOS creating a 5-wide set, and I knew something bad was going to happen. Our O-line just isn't good enough to go 5-wide. There are other examples too, but this is the one that comes immediately to mind.

Despite the negatives, we came away with a big win when we desperately needed one, and the team showed some improvement and some promise. One game at a time... now bring on the Jets.

Yeah, pass blocking needs to improve. It won't matter who's really back there. J. Taylor owned Mike Gandy today. I was wondering, where's jonas jennings when you need him? I hope Big Mike can come back next week because Greg Jerman showed he's a backup. The running game should improve a little bit with big Mike back.

OpIv37
10-09-2005, 09:33 PM
We set a record for penalties, stopped you on the Moulds TD for a FG and as usual a holding call prior to Moulds TD. Again we beat ourselves, we came out flat and we helped sustain your drives..same pattern as the pervious 3 games. If we can cut the penalties, we might have actually won this game. Oh well, it's a part of the game, Good win on you guys part..

you guys played us tough- I thought it was going to be a blowout but Saban had the team ready for the second half. You're right about the penalties- the Dolphins are vastly improved over last year, but they're not gonna beat anyone if they keep getting stupid penalties.

Taylor and Thomas can still get it done and Ronnie Brown looks like he's for real.

ebill00
10-10-2005, 01:33 AM
I think our OL SUCKS!! There's always a defender in our backfield!! If our GM doesn't address this problem, which seems to be an area he's blind to, he needs to be fired!!

BSXIII
10-10-2005, 01:46 AM
I thought this team showed some positives today. The Dolphins have been playing well and this team won, that's a step in the right direction regardless. That said, I am concerned with this teams coaching staff. Why can't they make any adjustments at the half? Every game, we are outcoached in the second half. We dominated the first half, go to the lockerroom and come out flat. The Porpoises outplayed us in the 2nd half and nearly won the game at the end. The lack of halftime adjustments should be a major concern for this team.

DaBills
10-10-2005, 01:50 AM
I listened to the game on field pass and watched the Jets game with the sound off. Freaking only get the Jets where I am, which sucks. Vinny still has an arm and hits guys on slants pretty good, so I expect more of that this week. About as mobile as Drew though, and Curtis Martin might be a bigger problem imo if he gets going early. Their D looks good, but Tampa also didn't have Cadillac Williams. WM needs to get going early if we are to have a chance. That's my chief complaint from today. It's obvious the front office talks and talks about establishing the run but does nothing to back it up. WM had 17 carries after halftime. Way too late.