PDA

View Full Version : How should we go about FAcy and the Draft this year?

WG
01-09-2003, 12:37 PM
Obviously we don't have a first round selection so that dictates the possibilities.

I think we should go after a young, spry DE in the draft and this year's draft is rumored to be rich with them, DEs that is.

LBs can be gotten in FAcy as long as we don't wait until late March again.

We need a solid DT from somewhere. That is my biggest concern. IMO last year was really the year to grab one in either the Draft or FAcy. IDK where we're gonna get one that's as good as we need this year. The draft is not rich w/ them and it's unlikely that our second round pick would net one. I haven't really seen any in FAcy that I don't expect teams to resign. That won't be known for a while though.

Thoughts?

Dozerdog
01-09-2003, 02:01 PM
Draft the best available athlete.

Pidgeon hole yourself into selecting hte Best DE available instead of best athlete available could get you in deep doo- doo. If you are going to draft by position instead of best availableguy on the board, then we will be trading our pick down.

Look at TD's history- 2001, he wanted a DB. He saw who was on the board, what their draft grade was, and wisely traded down. He got the guy he wanted (Winfield), along with extra picks that turned out to be Travis Henry.

Last year, Josh Reed was by far rthe Best available athlete, and he scooped him up. Turned out to be pure genius.

If you go into a draft saying "I want a DE" and the best are gone, don't reach and take the best DE available, because he could still be there in Rd 3

HenryRules
01-09-2003, 02:14 PM
FA is the main way I'd like us to plug our holes this offseason ... I've said it many times, but I'll say it again Colvin is priority #1 ... as long as the bidding doesn't get too high, grab him. Priority #2 is to resign Price or if his cap-hit gets too high, then look for another deep threat at WR to replace him. And while I agree with Wys that the DTs aren't too great this year ... I really disagree with him that the selection was great last year ... aside from Sam Adams (who I'm glad we didn't sign), the choices weren't much better than this year.
I agree with the drafting philosophy of Dozer ... most of our holes (LB and WR) will be plugged in FA and DT doesn't seem like it'll be solved through FA or the draft. Personally, DE is one position I'd like us to avoid drafting overly high (unless of course a circumstance like last year with Reed develops). This is assuming Jones is healthy for 2003. With Jones, Schoebel, Ahanotu (who I think we'll resign) and Denny/Irons, I don't see that group needing much help ... especially if we end up with Colvin because he can play DE on passing downs.
While I agree we should go for the best athlete available, I do think there are a few positions we should look favour. If there's a solid OLB (quite possible), DT (not overly possible), or WR (depending on what happens during FA) I'd like to see us look to grab them.

Jeff1220
01-09-2003, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by HenryRules
With Jones, Schoebel, Ahanotu (who I think we'll resign) and Denny/Irons, I don't see that group needing much help ... especially if we end up with Colvin because he can play DE on passing downs.

I agree entirely about the DE position. If Jones turns out to be back to his original form (I know that's an 'if'), then I'd be quite happy with Schoebel and Jones on the ends, with Chidi and the others as depth.
I also think DT is a bigger dilemma. There aren't a lot out there and the Bills need to be able to stop the run. I'm not convinced that the DT's we have are in that mold. P-Willy could use a big roadblock next to him so he can go all out to the QB.

Bert102176
01-12-2003, 12:34 AM
no matter what anyone says we need to keep Price, I believe he would take less money to stay here, but the 1,2,3 punch we have is very very good and if you bring in another WR you never know if he'll be a bust or be a good player I don't care if the free agent would be David Boston or who ever. I say we sign Price back bring in Spikes and a good DT resign Newman and put him at WLB with Spikes at SLB, try to find a kicker better than Hollis, if they can't then try to resign him, give Mooreman an extension, talk to Mikhael Ricks the TE, for DT I say Cletidus Hunt or Brandon Noble, and also try to get Rosevelt Colvin, and maybe try to get Bill Conaty back for depth then for whatever else we go through the draft.