PDA

View Full Version : My take on the "New NHL"

Earthquake Enyart
10-10-2005, 11:00 AM
I watched some games over the weekend. Things I liked:

No obstruction of the puck carrier. No more hooking or slashing. About the only thing you can do is try to physically knock him off the puck (without a high stick, cross check or elbow). Guys who can skate will be rewarded for the first time since the 70's. Once guys figure out the "no two line" offsides, the game should really open up. Coaches should find game films of Guy Lafleur, Bobby Hull, and the French Connection. That is the game that the NHL wants.

I like the goalies not being able to handle the puck. I bet the first game Biron plays, he gets at least one penalty for being stupid.

Have not watched a shoot out yet. For the life of me I don't know who the Sabres would pick.

Hope they stay vigilant with these changes. I like what I see so far.

SABuffalo786
10-10-2005, 12:38 PM
I'd go with:

1. Briere
2. Kotalik
3. Vanek

Historian
10-10-2005, 06:53 PM
My Favorite thing:

Not only has the pace of the games picked up, but since you can't clutch, grab, or obstruct, we're seeing the return of a lost art:

The Hip Check!

That's old school.

:up:

Earthquake Enyart
10-11-2005, 06:11 AM
Roby used to throw a mean hip check.

TheGhostofJimKelly
10-11-2005, 06:12 AM
I have enjoyed the game. I think I might actually get the center ice package.

Earthquake Enyart
10-11-2005, 06:16 AM
I've been very impressed so far. The game is so much more wide open. Lots of 3 on 2's and 2 on 1's.

The game last night was great.

elltrain22
10-11-2005, 06:21 AM
My take, 3 words: I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!

I can't stop watching. Some will say there isn't as much hitting (wrong), and some will say there are way too many penalties being called (more power plays), but bottom line, the game is 150% better, and I haven't heard anyone say they didn't like it.

Historian
10-11-2005, 08:34 AM
Last night's game had a playoff intensity and pace.

I'm thrilled. This is what hockey is supposed to be like.

Dozerdog
10-11-2005, 08:38 AM
It's a fantasy geek's dream.

6-5 games!!! And now you will see the real talent in the goalie pool rise to the top.