PDA

View Full Version : Mularkey won't commit to Holcomb or Losman

The_Philster
10-10-2005, 05:56 PM
Kelly Holcomb, who quarterbacked Buffalo to victory over Miami, could return to the bench next week.

So says Bills coach Mike Mularkey, who said he won't say whether Holcomb of J.P. Losman will start next week against the New York Jets.

"I'm going to leave it as it is," Mularkey said, adding he believes the lack of an announcement will keep the Jets guessing.
http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/BUF/8949983

HolyHolcomb10
10-10-2005, 06:08 PM
:rofl:

great sneak tactic by mularkey.

FlyingDutchman
10-10-2005, 06:11 PM
I love how all the Losman supporters did a 180 judging by the poll on the main page. Suddenly a different tune is being sung. I just hope I can dig up that poll taken last week when only about 25 % said Holcomb should start and everyone else said stick with JP. I guess a lot of people didnt mean what they said...On another note, I'm very pleased at the way JP is handling this situation. He understands his time will come and he's not sulking. He understands this team can win now and that he shouldnt hold them back. Kudos for an attitude way beyond his years. He could show TO a couple of things about how to act like a professional...

Meathead
10-10-2005, 06:16 PM
Last week's poll. (http://billsfanzone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=81935)

It was 29%.

FinsAreLife
10-10-2005, 06:18 PM
i would really stick with holcomb, i believe he will, it would surprise me if he didnt, but i guess its a nice move by him

Mudflap1
10-10-2005, 06:24 PM
Gotta get up pretty early in the morning to dupe Coach Mularkey!

kinigirly
10-10-2005, 06:31 PM
I am still fully behind JP. I'm the first to admit yes he has been playing crappy...but he still needs some play time whether its half a game or 1 quarter. The only way to get better is practice, and you can't do that by sitting on the bench or sitting in the film room all day. Observation is one thing but practice makes perfect. Alrite maybe not perfect but much improved

Mr. Cynical
10-10-2005, 06:50 PM
The very definition of puppet.

BillsFever21
10-10-2005, 07:12 PM
They will give him at least one more game. He was decent but not great. Fifty of his yards came from the pass to Evans where the CB slipped and Evans ran by everyone.

He only had about 30 yards in the 2nd half of the game. Miami beat themselves in the first half and the defense finally stepped up with some TO's. We still were only at about our average of 230 yards a game.

Our defense was breaking down the 2nd half and we got lucky Ronnie Brown fumbled and our offense didn't put the game away when we had the chance in the 2nd half. Give Holcomb one more game and see how he does.

OpIv37
10-10-2005, 07:23 PM
I'm not a JP hater but you can't argue with success. I think MM put too much pressure on JP by making him the starter without a camp competition- read my post about Marv Levy's quote regarding how to develop a QB. If Holcomb had started since Game 1, we'd be 3-2 and tied with NE at the top of the division. If it takes longer for JP to take over but we win in the meantime, so be it.

Turf
10-10-2005, 07:26 PM
If he starts JP this week he's a moron.

Charlieguide
10-10-2005, 07:54 PM
I brought up the idea of benching JP last sunday night, and was highly criticized for it. I stood by my statements then, and I do now:

JP's benching must be handled properly by the coaches, as well as Losman. If they plan on grooming him into the QB of our future, they have to make it clear to him that they feel he has that chance. I sincerely hope that MM said something to JP like "Holcomb is going to start the next couple games" or "we're going to sit the next few out." Make it clear that it's not a permanent thing, that this is based on the current situation and what's best for JP and the team.

Losman needs to clear his head, and have some time to examine why he struggled so far. Sitting a couple games out gives him a better chance to uncover and address problems without feeling the pressure of the next game.

Hopefully, this break helps him enough that it helps the team once he returns.

CanaanVtBillsFan
10-10-2005, 09:07 PM
I'm not a JP hater but you can't argue with success. I think MM put too much pressure on JP by making him the starter without a camp competition- read my post about Marv Levy's quote regarding how to develop a QB. If Holcomb had started since Game 1, we'd be 3-2 and tied with NE at the top of the division. If it takes longer for JP to take over but we win in the meantime, so be it.

I can agree with OpIv37 about the training camp competion.
I'd stay with what seemed to work to get a win and thats a more experienced QB who showed that he can read plays and audible when needed. To sacrifice a season of trial and error with JP is too costly.

The idea of possible letting Losman go in for a few plays or whatever sounds interesting. Any of you guru's out there know of any teams to ever do that.

We still have lots of work to do
Thank you Defense and Special teams

We should do well against the Jets considering how poor we are against the run and they seem to have a major running back problem although martin is a Warrior by far and he could surprise us even though you know he is hurting
he had 23 carriers for 59 yards(yeah I know it was against the bucs D)

Our special teams may be able to rattle that Cochery guy who coughed up the ball twice on punts

There D may be a hair better than us according to stats, but other than that if we stay with Kelly this game should be ours

We need to run Will 20+ times again
Cut down on the costly penalties
STOP THE RUN
Lindell finally snapped his string for missing the long fireldgoals

We seem to be in good shape

Kerr
10-10-2005, 11:18 PM
I don't think the art of deception will work for Mularkey this time. You can pretty much bank on it that the jets will prepare for holcomb. It would be ridiculous for Mularkey to bench holcomb, who gave the offense more life than it's ever had. Nothing against Losman, but if anyone remembers flutie vs johnson, you don't bench your winning qb or else it could lead to trouble for the whole organization.

vicmantak
10-11-2005, 12:56 AM
100% agree. No more words.

On the other hand, I hope this Mularkey's "lack decission style" is not a signal of mediocrity, undetermination and zero leadership.

jonah7777
10-11-2005, 01:02 AM
I love how all the Losman supporters did a 180 judging by the poll on the main page. Suddenly a different tune is being sung. I just hope I can dig up that poll taken last week when only about 25 % said Holcomb should start and everyone else said stick with JP. I guess a lot of people didnt mean what they said...On another note, I'm very pleased at the way JP is handling this situation. He understands his time will come and he's not sulking. He understands this team can win now and that he shouldnt hold them back. Kudos for an attitude way beyond his years. He could show TO a couple of things about how to act like a professional...

lol thats because hes already planning which team he would like to play for as soon as he can leave buffalo. he will never stay here or be the bills future.

Billz_fan
10-11-2005, 02:44 AM
MM won't commit cus TD hasn't told him what to do yet :laughter:

djjimkelly
10-11-2005, 03:55 AM
well im still in favour of losman. yes holcomb had a high effiency rate with passing yes we won. this is not a recipe for long term sucess. and yes our offense still looks like crap. we got very lucky this weekend even with all the turnovers if ronnie brown doesnt fumble at the 15 we lose. holcomb looked good for a quarter just like JP has a few times. HOLCOMB DID NOT WIN THIS GAME. im calling it like it is we were lucky to hold on and lucky we took ball away in our redzone 3 times