PDA

View Full Version : Draft Scuttlebutt

MelK
01-09-2003, 05:52 PM
http://nfldraftblitz.com/nnn1303.htm

The Detroit Lions are looking to trade QB Mike McMahon for a 3rd round pick. I could see a team that is in dire need of a quarterback giving up a 3rd round pick for him.

The Lions are looking at WR Charles Rogers with their first round pick.

Here is your sleeper for week two of news and notes Duquesne CB Leigh Bodden. Bodden is tied for the career mark in interceptions (in D1AA). He had 9 picks in both 2000, and 2001, this year he had 7 interceptions. He also runs track at Duquesne.

The combine invitation came out this week and there were a few surprise invites including Iowa Wesley QB D. Bryant, Texas WR Kyle Shanahan, and Clemson CB Brian Mance. Bryant missed most of this year after being ruled ineligible. Kyle had a total of seven receptions for 62 yards this year. Mance is not even on my list of draft prospects.

Some combine snubs were Washington DE Kai Ellis, Iowa OG Andy Lighfoot, South Florida QB Marquel Blackwell, and Northern Iowa Kicker Mackenzie Hoambreaker. Ellis is a player I think who could go in the 3rd round of the draft. Andy played on what most people called the best offensive line in college football. Blackwell is a mobile passer, who could fit well in a West Coast offense. Hoambreaker is the best kicker in division 1AA.

MelK
01-09-2003, 06:01 PM
TCU linebacker LaMarcus McDonald has hired an agent and will not return for a fourth season next fall according to Horned Frogs head coach Gary Patterson.

McDonald, Conference USA's Defensive Player of the Year, accepted an invitation to play in the Senior Bowl next week and has been invited to the combine.

MelK
01-09-2003, 06:03 PM
The Fighting Irish Insider is reporting Notre Dame center Jeff Faine (http://nfldraft.theinsiders.com/2/86439.html) will forgo his senior year and enter the NFL draft in April. A three-year starter for the Irish, Faine received notice Monday from the NFL draft advisory board that he likely would be a second-round pick.

``If I got third-round or lower, I definitely would have been back,'' Faine said

MelK
01-09-2003, 06:04 PM
DE Mitchell to enter NFL Draft

By Edgar Thompson, Palm Beach Post Staff Writer
Thursday, January 9, 2003
http://www.gopbi.com/partners/pbpost/epaper/editions/thursday/sports_e3c1ed1b849ab1a0004f.html

GAINESVILLE -- The announcement on Wednesday that Florida Gators defensive end Clint Mitchell will forgo his senior season and enter April's NFL Draft baffled two longtime draft analysts.

Both agreed Mitchell, a 6-foot-7, 253-pound junior, could have improved his draft position significantly with another season of college.

Jerry Jones of The Drugstore List called the decision by Mitchell "a reach."

"He'll probably get drafted," Jones said. "But he looks like a second-day guy (rounds four through seven)."

When informed of Mitchell's decision, Frank Coyle of draftinsiders.com said, "I question if he will be strong enough for the NFL game at this point."

MelK
01-09-2003, 06:06 PM
TE Johnson leaves Auburn for NFL draft

January 8, 2003 Print it
http://www.sportingnews.com/cfootball/articles/20030108/449844.html

AUBURN, Ala. -- Auburn tight end Robert Johnson says he will forgo his senior season and will enter the NFL draft.

"My parents and I have been praying about this and came to the decision it was the best thing to do," Johnson said at a news conference Wednesday.

Johnson, from Montgomery, finished his Auburn career with 59 catches for 758 yards and 10 touchdowns.

He said he hopes to prove wrong projections that he would be drafted no higher than the second round. He said he has not signed with an agent.

Johnson became one of quarterback Jason Campbell's favorite targets late in the season, catching two first-half touchdown passes in Auburn's 17-7 win over Alabama in the regular-season finale.

He was the Tigers' second-leading receiver, catching 30 passes for 365 yards and a team-high four touchdowns. Johnson had 14 receptions in the final four games.

MelK
01-09-2003, 06:08 PM
Star Georgia RB coming out early for the NFL draft

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/college_football/20030109-9999_1s9collfb.html

Star Georgia RB coming out early for the NFL draft

UNION-TRIBUNE NEWS SERVICES
January 9, 2003

For the second time in two days, the University of Georgia has lost a standout underclassman to the NFL draft, with tailback Musa Smith announcing yesterday he will forgo his final season of eligibility.

On Tuesday, junior defensive tackle Jonathan Sullivan, a possible first-round choice, decided to enter the draft.

Plagued by injuries earlier in his career, Smith enjoyed a breakout season in 2002, rushing for 1,324 yards and eight touchdowns on 260 carries. He was Georgia's first 1,000-yard rusher in 10 years, despite playing with a cast on his left hand to protect a broken thumb.

The 6-foot-2, 226-pound Smith was named Sugar Bowl MVP after running for 145 yards in a 26-13 win over Florida State.

The NFL underclassman advisory council told Smith that he was likely to be picked in the second round if he came out this year, according to Georgia assistant coach Mike Bobo.

Joining Smith in declaring for the draft yesterday were three other underclassmen:

Florida State receiver Anquan Boldin, who caught 62 passes for 977 yards and 12 touchdowns this past season.

Florida defensive lineman Clint Mitchell, whose brother Jeff played for the Gators and is currently with the Carolina Panthers.

Illinois kicker Peter Christofilakos, who shared kicking duties with John Gockman the past two seasons. Christofilakos made 21-of-25 field goal attempts the past two seasons.

MelK
01-09-2003, 06:12 PM
Lee decides to enter NFL draft
From the Sports Desk
Published 1/9/2003 11:14 AM
View printer-friendly version

MURFREESBORO, Tenn., Jan. 9 (UPI) -- Junior running back ReShard Lee of Middle Tennessee State says he will enter the NFL draft in 2002.

The decision to make himself available to the NFL means he will forego his remaining college illegibility. He was not in school when the spring semester began Wednesday, according to the Daily Journal of Murfreesboro, Tn.

The native of Brunswick, Ga., who started one game at quarterback in 2002 and also returned kickoffs, is the first athlete in the school's history in any sports to leave for the pros.

In his career, the 5-10, 227-pounder rushed for 1,432 yards, and averaged 6.6 yards per carry. He was a first team selection by the Sun Belt Conference.

http://www.upi.com/view.cfm?StoryID=20030109-111336-3798r

RedEyE
01-09-2003, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by MelK
http://nfldraftblitz.com/nnn1303.htm

The Detroit Lions are looking to trade QB Mike McMahon for a 3rd round pick. I could see a team that is in dire need of a quarterback giving up a 3rd round pick for him.

The Lions are looking at WR Charles Rogers with their first round pick.

Here is your sleeper for week two of news and notes Duquesne CB Leigh Bodden. Bodden is tied for the career mark in interceptions (in D1AA). He had 9 picks in both 2000, and 2001, this year he had 7 interceptions. He also runs track at Duquesne.

The combine invitation came out this week and there were a few surprise invites including Iowa Wesley QB D. Bryant, Texas WR Kyle Shanahan, and Clemson CB Brian Mance. Bryant missed most of this year after being ruled ineligible. Kyle had a total of seven receptions for 62 yards this year. Mance is not even on my list of draft prospects.

Some combine snubs were Washington DE Kai Ellis, Iowa OG Andy Lighfoot, South Florida QB Marquel Blackwell, and Northern Iowa Kicker Mackenzie Hoambreaker. Ellis is a player I think who could go in the 3rd round of the draft. Andy played on what most people called the best offensive line in college football. Blackwell is a mobile passer, who could fit well in a West Coast offense. Hoambreaker is the best kicker in division 1AA.

McMahon has shown signs of promise, but I hardly believe that he is worth a 3rd round pick. Sounds like another bad move by a rotten GM

DraftBoy
01-10-2003, 03:15 PM
He'll could probably be dealt for a 5th and a player. Millon is desperate to rid Detroit of any QB controversy.

Dozerdog
01-10-2003, 04:04 PM
He's only worth a 3rd rd pick if someone is willing to pay it. I can see Phoenix, or even Dallas going in this direction if they chose not to grab one of the hotshots in the 1st rd.

I remember during the Pat's delerium the week after last year's Super Bowl saying Bledsoe was worth 2 #1s and a 2nd round pick. Then the weeks and months passed by, and the price plummeted. They could not figure out why>..LOL