PDA

View Full Version : Holcomb believes he's earned starting job

The_Philster
10-11-2005, 05:54 PM
Kelly Holcomb doesn't know if he'll get his second straight start in place of J.P. Losman when the Buffalo Bills host the New York Jets on Sunday. Nor will he venture a guess.
He's been around too long for that.
Enjoying a day off with his family Tuesday, Holcomb said he hadn't been informed of the team's plans and knows better than to get his hopes up after 10 NFL seasons as a journeyman backup quarterback. more (http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/mld/ledgerenquirer/sports/12876057.htm)

RedEyE
10-11-2005, 06:09 PM
Well, a passer rating of 106% isn't bad. I think he gets the nod, but what he did in his first start in Buffalo kind of mimics what Losman did with his first start in Buffalo.

Both of them had great 1st halves with modest numbers. The second half for each of them wasn't dissmal, but wasn't heroic either.

I like the fact that he is in contact with Peyton Manning as well. I'd have to say that speaks volumes for Kelly's character. Regardless, I just hope Losman is learning from all of this.

kinigirly
10-11-2005, 06:53 PM
That's funny cause if the first half of the game, I said to myself man this guy is trying to prove something...I think he's fighting for starter. Well on the one hand the fact that he has been a backup for 10 years speaks volumes. On the other hand if he's finally getting his act together and is good enough to start more props to him. I don't think he will ever get the nod for the Bills, JP is their man in the long run. But if another team wants to pick him up as starter than I think that is awesome for him!

pintonick96
10-11-2005, 07:04 PM
Holcomb is winning, keep him in.

If it ain't broke dont fix it.

DynaPaul
10-11-2005, 07:41 PM
Holcomb is winning, keep him in.

If it ain't broke dont fix it.

I totally agree. Hey, I like JP but putting him back in at this point is folly. Let Holcomb play until we're out, if that happens, of contention for the playoffs. Then we can let the kid develop.

Iehoshua
10-11-2005, 07:44 PM
Winning one game in average fashion doesn't secure a starting job... Ask Rob Johnson.. oh wait, nevermind... I guess in Buffalo it does... :ill:

HolyHolcomb10
10-11-2005, 07:46 PM
Winning one game in average fashion doesn't secure a starting job... Ask Rob Johnson.. oh wait, nevermind... I guess in Buffalo it does... :ill:

Holcomb better start, he was 10 times more calm in pocket

HolyHolcomb10
10-11-2005, 08:01 PM
Why would we go back to JP if Kelly did the job.

Why make the move last week then. Kelly starts till he plays bad.

HOLCOMBMANIA!

Does anyone think we win last week if JP was under center?

pintonick96
10-11-2005, 08:18 PM
Holcomb is winning...if it ain't broke don't fix it......Nice Post, I only wish the Bills would have applied it to Bledsoe.

Too bad he blew the Steelers game.

HolyHolcomb10
10-11-2005, 08:25 PM
Too bad he blew the Steelers game.

he played bad but having 157 yards in rushing by Parker and St Pierre had no effect???. Led by Tommy Maddux at QB. No Bettis, No Ward.

<!--StartFragment -->

footballhottie
10-11-2005, 08:51 PM
i really think we should keep him in for the rest of the season and let JP go in when the time is right...like when were winning my 100 points and not even him could screw it up.

Mr. Cynical
10-11-2005, 10:36 PM
".....after 10 NFL seasons as a journeyman backup quarterback."

That about sums it up for me.

sba
10-12-2005, 12:35 AM
I don't see Peyton Manning calling JP after games !

Meathead
10-12-2005, 01:24 AM
According to official data provided by Meathead Polling&#169; (http://billsfanzone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=82673), 83% of us feel Holcomb should start.

And we're always right.

vicmantak
10-12-2005, 01:40 AM
It's simple. If Holcombe doesn't start the next game... for sure, Mularkey might be fired!

Meathead
10-12-2005, 01:47 AM
i think ralph wilson would have to die for holcomb not to start. or holcomb

vicmantak
10-12-2005, 02:21 AM
i think ralph wilson would have to die for holcomb not to start. or holcomb
LOL!

The_Philster
10-12-2005, 03:02 AM
I don't see Peyton Manning calling JP after games !
When did Peyton and JP play together?

TacklingDummy
10-12-2005, 08:00 AM
If Holcomb doesn't start the vets. on the Bills will be pissed. They want the best chance to win now not later.

don137
10-12-2005, 08:01 AM
Holcomb was efficient against the Dolphins. I believe it was a team win though. The defense created a lot of turnovers that helped pave the way to victory.
I do think Losman needs a couple weeks away from starting to settle down a little bit. I think the speed of the game was overwhelming him. I think backing up a few steps and evaluate his performances for a couple weeks see what he did wrong will help him.
Holcomb deserves to start as long as he is winning. If/when the Bills start losing under Holcomb I say give Losman another chance.

justasportsfan
10-12-2005, 08:55 AM
Holcomb would've been the starter from day one. Even during camp he was better than JP. The coaches thought that the rest of the team could carry JP into winning a few games without killing our playoff hopes. If we were stuffing the run like we did last year and our ST was scoring, JP would've been fine.

slakjaw157
10-12-2005, 09:12 AM
IMO Holcomb needs to start as long as he continues to win, bottom line.

footballhottie
10-12-2005, 09:15 AM
i think ralph wilson would have to die for holcomb not to start. or holcomb Christ don't say that!!!

sba
10-12-2005, 09:18 AM
When did Peyton and JP play together?

pffft, that's a technicality.

Mr. Cynical
10-12-2005, 10:37 AM
And we're always right.

Judging by the picture in your sig, you may want to restate that. :;

BAM
10-12-2005, 11:11 AM
I hope Holcomb starts. He gives us the better chance of winning right now, IMO.

The_Philster
10-12-2005, 03:23 PM
pffft, that's a technicality.
not hardly...why would Peyton call someone he didn't know? Kelly was his backup for a while

Luisito23
10-12-2005, 03:32 PM
Christ don't say that!!!

I hope Mr. Wilson is blessed with many many more years to come...
it's foolish and heartless to talk about someone dying, even if joking......

GO BILLS!!!!!!!

RedEyE
10-12-2005, 04:34 PM
The amazing thing is if Holcomb comes out and stink it up royally on Sunday, 90% of us will be wanting the rookie back in.

Iehoshua
10-12-2005, 04:37 PM
The amazing thing is if Holcomb comes out and stink it up royally on Sunday, 90% of us will be wanting the rookie back in.
I never wanted JP benched to begin with nor do I want Holcomb to be starting now...
:up:

ChaelTD
10-12-2005, 05:09 PM
I with you Darth.....even if Losman stinks it up for the rest of the season. I want him ready to become a great QB by getting his bumps this season.

Turf
10-12-2005, 08:11 PM
Someone needs to bench the offensive coordinator...again. Here we are 8 or so years later, and we still haven't found an offensive coach. Defensive coaches we seem to pick up pretty easily. Offensive? Forget it.

TacklingDummy
10-12-2005, 09:19 PM
I with you Darth.....even if Losman stinks it up for the rest of the season. I want him ready to become a great QB by getting his bumps this season.

Yeah, because its almost a guarantee that JP will be the Manning. :crap:

And then next year when JP plays like :crap: again. We can say "wait till next year, he'll get better"

Iehoshua
10-12-2005, 09:22 PM
Yeah, because its almost a guarantee that JP will be the Manning. :crap:
And then next year when JP plays like :crap: again. We can say "wait till next year, he'll get better"
No one said anything like that. Stop fabricating lies...

TacklingDummy
10-12-2005, 09:27 PM
Oh so comparing him to Eli, Peyton and Palmer must have just been my imagination.

Lies I think not. Never seen so many Bills fan that rather lose to try and groom a QB then putting the best player out on the field.

CuseJetsFan83
10-12-2005, 09:29 PM
honestly i would say keep holcomb in........ main reason, is that if jp is in the game.... the jets defense would just feast upon him, at least holcombe has played this defense before (last year with cleveland).

but to reiterate what was said earlier, if its not broke, dont fix it.

STAMPY
10-12-2005, 09:34 PM
if jp played vs jets we won't score an offensive td

TacklingDummy
10-12-2005, 09:35 PM
Never seen so many Bills fan that rather lose to try and groom a QB then putting the best player out on the field.

Opps I spoke to soon, it was the same way with the Johnson/Flutie thing years ago. The Johnsonites were wrong then, and the Losmanites (former Johnsonites) are wrong now.

Iehoshua
10-12-2005, 09:35 PM
Oh so comparing him to Eli, Peyton and Palmer must have just been my imagination.
Lies I think not. Never seen so many Bills fan that rather lose to try and groom a QB then putting the best player out on the field.
A comparison isn't saying he is the "next" Manning. Just a similar situation to consider. You don't know if he will be successful or not, you're talking like you're Ms. Cleo. If so, tell me what lotto numbers to play...

TacklingDummy
10-12-2005, 09:40 PM
A comparison isn't saying he is the "next" Manning. Just a similar situation to consider. ...

Ok, then there's nothing wrong with comparing him to Ryan Leaf, Akili Smith and Rob Johnson. Since he has played more like them then he has Manning, Manning, Palmer.

Iehoshua
10-12-2005, 09:41 PM
Ok, then there's nothing wrong with comparing him to Ryan Leaf, Akili Smith and Rob Johnson. Since he has played more like them then he has Manning, Manning, Palmer.
In his first four games, he's played like all of them, not more like one or the other. All those guys struggled out of the gates. Some of them didn't ever stop struggling, but some did obviously. You can't know how JP will turn out by 4 games, unless you are indeed clarvoient...

TacklingDummy
10-12-2005, 09:44 PM
Time will tell. I hope you enjoy it.

Iehoshua
10-12-2005, 09:47 PM
Time will tell. I hope you enjoy it.
I will, thanks. It's unfortunate you will be too busy being negative and pessimistic to enjoy anything.
:(

TacklingDummy
10-12-2005, 10:00 PM
I'll enjoy it when the Bills have a good QB. How long is Losman's contract?

I enjoyed last week, unlike all the other who say bench KH so JP can progress.

I enjoy winning, not losing.

finsrclowns
10-12-2005, 10:02 PM
Much to do about nothing. Holcomb starts against the Jets guaranteed.

Iehoshua
10-12-2005, 10:14 PM
I'll enjoy it when the Bills have a good QB. How long is Losman's contract?
I enjoyed last week, unlike all the other who say bench KH so JP can progress.
I enjoy winning, not losing.
Now you're lying. We beat the Texans with Losman.
All you do is insult him:
http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=79364#15

The return of Rob Johnson is now underway with JP Losman. Or should i say RJ Loserman.

You just want to hate on JP. Please don't bother with any further deception. Your motives are clear.

TacklingDummy
10-12-2005, 10:21 PM
Yeah, and I also said JP played well against Houston. So what's your point?

Iehoshua
10-12-2005, 10:24 PM
Yeah, and I also said JP played well against Houston. So what's your point?
You expose yourself as not very informed if you are already calling JP a bust, that's the point.

TacklingDummy
10-12-2005, 10:31 PM
Looks like a Bust to me. That's just my opinion. Doesn't mean he will turn out to be one.

He may look like the next "whoever" to you, doesn't mean he won't be a bust.

Iehoshua
10-12-2005, 10:32 PM
Looks like a Bust to me. That's just my opinion. Doesn't mean he will turn out to be one.
He may look like the next "whoever" to you, doesn't mean he won't be a bust.
In that logic, every QB who has struggled his first 4 games is a bust.

To call a guy a bust after 4 games means you don't know football and you just exposed yourself. You now have zero credibility.
:up:

TacklingDummy
10-12-2005, 10:36 PM
Struggled and showed promise (Eli, Peyton, McNair,Palmer etc..) is one thing.
Struggled and showed nothing is another.

Devin
10-12-2005, 10:36 PM
Can anyone blame the vets for being sick of "wait til next year".

Catch 22 anyway you hook this 1.

Iehoshua
10-12-2005, 10:38 PM
Struggled and showed promise (Eli, Peyton, McNair,Palmer etc..) is one thing.
Struggled and showed nothing is another.
You may wanna give your 'insider' a ring before posting again...
http://www.lasvegasmercury.com/2003/MERC-Mar-27-Thu-2003/photos/cleo.jpg

Mr. Cynical
10-12-2005, 10:47 PM
You may wanna give your 'insider' a ring before posting again...
http://www.lasvegasmercury.com/2003/MERC-Mar-27-Thu-2003/photos/cleo.jpg

:rofl: