PDA

View Full Version : How come no one has mentioned Jennings?

Romes
10-11-2005, 08:37 PM
Everyone is quick to bag on TD for the "mistake" he made by releasing Bledsoe but no one talks about losing Jennings. Is that because letting Jennings go was the right decision? Jennings is now hurt and requires surgery on his shoulder, possibly ending his season.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2182413

TD may have made a mistake with Bledsoe but it looks like he made the right decision with Jennings.

OpIv37
10-11-2005, 08:42 PM
luck, but I'm glad we're not spending $9 million to have him on IR.

RedEyE
10-11-2005, 08:52 PM
How does a game related injury directly effect TD's decision? Would it not be then the same to say that TD screwed up by going after Takeo Spikes who also found the injury bug this season? I think not.

Fact is that TD cannot be held accountable for injuries. They happen to each and every player at sometime in their career and it shouldn't be anything that anyone is held accountable for unless that player has a history of medical problems.

Jennings:
IMO, TD had no business passing on resigning Jennings. Granted the Bills OL wasn't great last year, but I think that it's safe to say that without Jennings, they're even worse off. At least we knew that Jonas would be an almost shoe-in for LT. That position hasn't been properly filled since he left. TD should have done what he could to have retained JJ, and perhaps he did. I just remember Jonas not having a lot of nice things to say about TD after negotiations. JJ was willing to work with the Bills (according to Jennings) and the Bills front office apparently were bent on letting him hit the road.

Bledsoe:
Bledsoe was made an offer but declined to accept. He had an oppotunity to renegotiate and Bledsoe instead decided against it. The Bills were forced to let him go in order to save on cap space #s.

chernobylwraiths
10-11-2005, 09:14 PM
Not signing Jennings was a very good one. I don't care what anyone says about luck. Jennings had not played an entire injury free season in his short career. He was bound to get injured again and he did. Some guys just get hurt all the time and Jonas is one of them.

Plus, just think of all the *****ing on here if he DOES resign him to a huge contract and he gets this injury for us. Man, everyone would want to hang him for wasting all that cap space for a guy who can't remain healthy. Damned if you do...

Dozerdog
10-11-2005, 09:17 PM
Jennings isn't worth $9 million.

People already ***** & moan that TD paid (brecause he had to) Mike Williams

Mudflap1
10-11-2005, 09:19 PM
Not re-signing Jonas Jennings was a good move, he wanted too much money. Not finding an adequate, or upgradeable, replacement is a bad move, along with the rest of the offensive line.Jon

chernobylwraiths
10-11-2005, 09:28 PM
What the hell is Verba doing? Isn't he supposed to be pro bowl material? Maybe he isn't such a head case since nobody signed him.

Romes
10-11-2005, 09:41 PM
How does a game related injury directly effect TD's decision? Would it not be then the same to say that TD screwed up by going after Takeo Spikes who also found the injury bug this season? I think not.

Fact is that TD cannot be held accountable for injuries. They happen to each and every player at sometime in their career and it shouldn't be anything that anyone is held accountable for unless that player has a history of medical problems.

Did not Jennings have a history of medical problems? Thus, making TD's decision to not re-sign him, to the money that SF gave him, a good decision.

RedEyE
10-11-2005, 10:01 PM
Did not Jennings have a history of medical problems? Thus, making TD's decision to not re-sign him, to the money that SF gave him, a good decision.

That's right, I forgot he hasn't finished a complete season yet.

Not even worth vet min. with those stats.

<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=bg0 vAlign=top><TD>GAMES PLAYED</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=bg1 vAlign=top><TH>Year</TH><TH>Team</TH><TH>G</TH><TH>GS</TH></TR><TR class=bg2><TD>2001</TD><TD>Buffalo Bills</TD><TD>12</TD><TD>12</TD></TR><TR class=bg3><TD>2002</TD><TD>Buffalo Bills</TD><TD>15</TD><TD>15</TD></TR><TR class=bg2><TD>2003</TD><TD>Buffalo Bills</TD><TD>11</TD><TD>11</TD></TR><TR class=bg3><TD>2004</TD><TD>Buffalo Bills</TD><TD>14</TD><TD>14</TD></TR><TR class=bg2><TD>2005</TD><TD>San Francisco 49ers</TD><TD>3</TD><TD>3</TD></TR><TR class=bg4><TD>TOTAL</TD><TD></TD><TD>55</TD><TD>55</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Night Train
10-12-2005, 04:53 AM
Not signing Jennings was the right move. Still, trying to end the conversation there in defense of TD is incorrect. You can't sign 2nd or 3rd tier guys to play OL and act surprised when they don't produce.

Entering the next off-season, only Mike Williams should be penciled in at RT. The other 4 positions should be up for grabs. Teague should be gone and we'll see if Preston is good enough to replace him. Chris V. is getting old and wasn't playing well either. Anderson and Gandy are just filler for the eventual replacements.

Come on. We have to quit the denialfest in defense of the overrrated TD and get serious about improving this OL. Until then, we can't be considered serious players in the AFC.

Stewie
10-12-2005, 07:37 AM
It's not luck at all... Jennings gets hurt every single year. It's not rocket science. He played in 12, 15, 11 and 14 games for us. Did anyone think he'd last the season?

mysticsoto
10-12-2005, 07:56 AM
Not signing Jennings was the right move. Still, trying to end the conversation there in defense of TD is incorrect. You can't sign 2nd or 3rd tier guys to play OL and act surprised when they don't produce.

Entering the next off-season, only Mike Williams should be penciled in at RT. The other 4 positions should be up for grabs. Teague should be gone and we'll see if Preston is good enough to replace him. Chris V. is getting old and wasn't playing well either. Anderson and Gandy are just filler for the eventual replacements.

Come on. We have to quit the denialfest in defense of the overrrated TD and get serious about improving this OL. Until then, we can't be considered serious players in the AFC.

Gandy has actually been doing okay (except for the Miami game when he faced JT) so I think he has adequately replaced JJ. MW being out has hurt our right side tremendously - Jerman is a bum. What is surprising is that our guards aren't always performing up to the level that they should be performing. With the exception of Jerman, the rest of the line should be playing well and they're not. That is no one else's fault but their own and McNally needs to give them a kick in the ass and get them to perform better.

colin
10-12-2005, 08:30 AM
we decided we were only going to pay one of Shoble, jennings, and williams.

frankly all these players would have gotten good cash in FA, but none are special players. schoble is still streaky and weak against the run, jennings was just way too expensive, and williams (who i am a big fan of) was too old and really hasn't made his signing in Minni look smart.

except for the fact that losing half our D line would have been too much, we might have been better off letting them all walk.

aaron can play, but i think he needs good people around him, and he has never done much against a good LT. i hope he ends up getting better.

Luisito23
10-12-2005, 03:16 PM
Not signing Jennings was a very good one. I don't care what anyone says about luck. Jennings had not played an entire injury free season in his short career. He was bound to get injured again and he did. Some guys just get hurt all the time and Jonas is one of them.

Plus, just think of all the *****ing on here if he DOES resign him to a huge contract and he gets this injury for us. Man, everyone would want to hang him for wasting all that cap space for a guy who can't remain healthy. Damned if you do...

:up: :up: :up: :up: :up:

GO BILLS!!!!!!!

DynaPaul
10-12-2005, 04:08 PM
Donahoe isn't getting any credit because that was a no-brainer decision. Everyone knew that Jennings wasn't worth the cash he wanted. The guy did play good, when he was in there, but was inconsistent with his injuries. I can't see spending that kind of money on a part time player. Sad thing is that if Mike Williams doesn't step up his game he'll turn out just like him but at a greater cost.

Michael82
10-12-2005, 05:57 PM
This explains why TD didn't re-sign Jonas Jennings at the huge bucks that he wanted....

49ers | Jennings Dinged - from www.KFFL.com
Fri, 3 Jun 2005 05:47:46 -0700

Roger Phillips, of InsideBayArea.com, reports San Francisco 49ers LT Jonas Jennings (ankle) twisted an ankle this week and did not practice Thursday, June 2. Head coach Mike Nolan said the injury is not serious.

49ers | Jennings Practices
Wed, 21 Sep 2005 15:46:01 -0700

Matt Maiocco, of the Santa Rosa Press Democrat, reports San Francisco 49ers OT Jonas Jennings (throat) practiced Wednesday, Sept. 21, and is not on the team's injury report for Week 3. Jennings had suffered a throat injury during Week 2.

49ers | Jennings Out; Season in Jeopardy
Wed, 5 Oct 2005 17:22:54 -0700

San Francisco 49ers OT Jonas Jennings (shoulder) didn't practice Wednesday, Oct. 5, and is out for Week 5. He's hoping his torn labrum heals enough to allow him to play Week 7. He might have season-ending surgery if his shoulder doesn't respond by then.

49ers | Jennings Injury Update
Mon, 10 Oct 2005 15:48:02 -0700

San Francisco 49ers OLT Jonas Jennings (shoulder) is hopeful his shoulder injury will improve enough for him to return to action during Week 7. If his injury does not respond by then, he may need season-ending surgery on his right shoulder. The 49ers have a bye in Week 6.

BillsFever21
10-12-2005, 06:04 PM
It was a great move not to overpay for Jennings. It's not like this was the first time he's been hurt. He's missed action every single year. This year it's even worse. He only lasted 4 games.

vicmantak
10-12-2005, 10:02 PM
IMO it was not astute by Tom Donahoe because he simply didn't have enough cap space to re-sign Jennings, Pat Williams or any top free agent.

Come on. It's just amazing to see how people try to make heroes or feel like experts.

Bert102176
10-13-2005, 12:17 AM
losing him sucks but he isn't worth no $9mil.

Spiderweb
10-13-2005, 01:07 AM
IMO it was not astute by Tom Donahoe because he simply didn't have enough cap space to re-sign Jennings, Pat Williams or any top free agent.

Come on. It's just amazing to see how people try to make heroes or feel like experts.

Actually there are ways to re-sign players, as Butler did. However, you force a team into cap hell when it peaks. Bottom line was TD wasn't going to do that, plain and simple. Had Jonas and his agent been talking reasonable $$$, there could have been a chance but when TD sent out his feelers, it was clear he felt he should lock up Shobel, and then tried to land Williams. Strangely enough, it was Phat Pat who brought up the topic of home team discount and went on to sign with Washington for about 1 mil more than what was reportedly offered by the Bills and TD. So much for the home team discount.

No TD was right in not pursuing Jennings who wanted (and got) stupid $$$.

vicmantak
10-14-2005, 04:22 AM
Actually there are ways to re-sign players, as Butler did. However, you force a team into cap hell when it peaks. Bottom line was TD wasn't going to do that, plain and simple. Had Jonas and his agent been talking reasonable $$$, there could have been a chance but when TD sent out his feelers, it was clear he felt he should lock up Shobel, and then tried to land Williams. Strangely enough, it was Phat Pat who brought up the topic of home team discount and went on to sign with Washington for about 1 mil more than what was reportedly offered by the Bills and TD. So much for the home team discount.

No TD was right in not pursuing Jennings who wanted (and got) stupid $$$.
Talking about Jennings, Williams or the lock up of Shobel is only talk about the small pieces of the cake but anyway you mentioned the key-word of this topic: BUTLER.

Let's be frank but it's not even comparable what Butler did in Buffalo and what Donahoe did in Pittsburgh. It's not even comparable what is Butler doing now for Indy and what is Donahoe doing now for the Bills.

Is it necessary to say more? Is it really necessary to mention who were able to sign Corey Simon despite having their own drafted players like Manning, Edgerrin James, James Mungro, Dominic Rhodes, Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne, Dallas Clark, Ryan Diem, Tarik Glenn, Dwight Freeney or Mike Vanderjagt on their cap? ...

On the other hand, I wonder what would have happened if someone like Dungy were coaching the Buffalo Bills...

Michael82
10-14-2005, 06:15 AM
Talking about Jennings, Williams or the lock up of Shobel is only talk about the small pieces of the cake but anyway you mentioned the key-word of this topic: BUTLER.

Let's be frank but it's not even comparable what Butler did in Buffalo and what Donahoe did in Pittsburgh. It's not even comparable what is Butler doing now for Indy and what is Donahoe doing now for the Bills.

Is it necessary to say more? Is it really necessary to mention who were able to sign Corey Simon despite having their own drafted players like Manning, Edgerrin James, James Mungro, Dominic Rhodes, Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne, Dallas Clark, Ryan Diem, Tarik Glenn, Dwight Freeney or Mike Vanderjagt on their cap? ...

On the other hand, I wonder what would have happened if someone like Dungy were coaching the Buffalo Bills...
Uhhh, Butler isn't in Indy. He went to the Chargers, screwed up some of their cap with ridiculous contracts that AJ Smith had to take care of, then he died. :doh:

Tatonka
10-14-2005, 07:10 AM
i am not unhappy with gandy.

EDS
10-14-2005, 08:11 AM
Who wants to bet me that people will be *****ing next season that TD let Trey Teague go? This despite the fact that they say he sucks now.

BillsFever21
10-14-2005, 09:10 AM
Who wants to bet me that people will be *****ing next season that TD let Trey Teague go? This despite the fact that they say he sucks now.

Half of them.

The_Philster
10-14-2005, 03:19 PM
Uhhh, Butler isn't in Indy. He went to the Chargers, screwed up some of their cap with ridiculous contracts that AJ Smith had to take care of, then he died. :doh:
Polian is in Indy

Sportsuser101
10-14-2005, 03:50 PM
Not re-signing Jonas Jennings was a good move, he wanted too much money. Not finding an adequate, or upgradeable, replacement is a bad move, along with the rest of the offensive line.Jon

The guy has given up 2 sacks and 2 penalties the whole year and has been solid in the run game. Lets not kill 1 of the few guys on offense who have done a good job.

Sportsuser101
10-14-2005, 04:30 PM

I like TT. He's not worth the money we're paying him mainly because he was paid to be our LT but I think he's done a good job at center.

EDS
10-14-2005, 04:49 PM
I like TT. He's not worth the money we're paying him mainly because he was paid to be our LT but I think he's done a good job at center.

I agree, he has been a solid center for the Bills for the bast two years. Still, people will ***** that he left, just like Jennings - despite the fact that he has been as good as Jennings.

vicmantak
10-15-2005, 03:19 AM
Uuppss!!!
I mean Polian... He really did great things in Buffalo and I'm sure all of us miss him so much. It's not even comparable what do Bills and Indy represents and the following is a summary about him:

Bill Polian, in his eighth season as Colts president, has a resume unique in the NFL. One of two men to win NFL Executive of the Year five times, Polian in the 1980s built the Buffalo Bills into a four-time Super Bowl participant. In the mid-1990s, be built the expansion Carolina Panthers into a team that made the NFC Championship Game in its second season, 1996. Since joining Indianapolis in 1998, he built the Colts from a 3-13 team in 1997 and 1998 into one that has made the playoffs five of the last six seasons, including an AFC Championship Game appearance after the 2003 season and AFC South titles in 2003 and 2004.

LifetimeBillsFan
10-15-2005, 05:21 AM
Everyone has mentioned Jennings' injury history, but no one has talked about how he played for SF this year before he was hurt. I caught at least parts of a couple of their games and it wasnt pretty. Now, I know a lot depends on the other guys around him, but they weren't able to run the ball in either game and JJ was having all kinds of problems pass blocking against Arizona. He certainly didn't look like he was any better than Gandy, even if he was healthy and came cheap. From what I've seen, I don't think Gandy has been that bad--yeah, Jason Taylor gave him a hard time, but Jason Taylor gives a lot of LT's a hard time (for some reason JJ played Taylor well--better than Gandy--but that's only 2 games out of 16)--Gandy strikes me as being a bit better run blocker than JJ. IMHO he has not bneen the problem with the O-line, Jerman has just been horrible in replacing M.Williams and the guys in the middle have not been consistent (Preston is a rookie and makes rookie mistakes and Teague gets overpowered, etc.).

What the hell is Verba doing? Isn't he supposed to be pro bowl material? Maybe he isn't such a head case since nobosy signed him.

Someone asked TD specifically about that in this week's Q&A on the Bills' website and here's how he answered:
"

Tom Donahoe: Just because we don't sign players does not necessarily mean that we have not pursued them. Sometimes it's an injury history and sometimes it could be a salary cap issue or it could be that the player just doesn't fit what we are trying to do. We work very hard on personnel every day. John Guy and his staff do an outstanding job with the pro personnel in the league. We will always try to improve our roster anytime we have the opportunity to do that." http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=3439

I recall reading an article where Verba was quoted as saying that, if he didn't get the kind of money he wanted (top LT money), he would rather retire and do something else. Maybe the problem is that he wants more than anyone is willing to pay and none of the teams in the NFL like his attitude, etc.

Uuppss!!!
I mean Polian... He really did great things in Buffalo and I'm sure all of us miss him so much. It's not even comparable what do Bills and Indy represents and the following is a summary about him:

Bill Polian, in his eighth season as Colts president, has a resume unique in the NFL. One of two men to win NFL Executive of the Year five times, Polian in the 1980s built the Buffalo Bills into a four-time Super Bowl participant. In the mid-1990s, be built the expansion Carolina Panthers into a team that made the NFC Championship Game in its second season, 1996. Since joining Indianapolis in 1998, he built the Colts from a 3-13 team in 1997 and 1998 into one that has made the playoffs five of the last six seasons, including an AFC Championship Game appearance after the 2003 season and AFC South titles in 2003 and 2004.

Blame that one on Ralph Wilson. In a round about way, Marv Levy describes in his book how Ralph had a problem with Polian, even though he had built those great teams that went to the SB and pretty much forced Polian to leave. That one is squarely on Ralph's shoulders.....

A lot of people said that Ralph was making a big mistake when he pretty much pushed Polian out of town and they were right. The Bills never would have gone through what they have gone through since he left had Wilson kept him. Ralph blew it BIG TIME on that one!

The_Philster
10-15-2005, 07:25 AM
actually, it wasn't Ralph who had the problem with Polian, it was his CFO Jeff Littman

vicmantak
10-16-2005, 08:02 AM
actually, it wasn't Ralph who had the problem with Polian, it was his CFO Jeff Littman
Oh God! what does it mean?...

Does it mean that a miserable treasurer radically changed the Buffalo Bills direction?
If true, I wonder why he is still alive!:rage:

http://www.buffalobills.com/team/office.jsp

TheGhostofJimKelly
10-16-2005, 11:37 AM
I really don't understand why people get so upset when guys are let go or not resigned (Bledsoe, Big Pat, Jennings, etc.) I you want to get upset about something, get upset about the guy the organization felt could take over the job or who they signed as a replacement. Players leave, they become to expensive, it is the player that comes in that should be the evaluation. BTW, no way the Bills pay Jennings the kind of money he got from Frisco.