PDA

View Full Version : RUSHING DEFENSE

losman2evans
10-12-2005, 12:26 AM
Who would have guess we would be near lat in the league in rushing defense this year, That is amazing! With our great cornerbacks, you would think that we could have eight in the box and force them to pass against our great defensive backs.

Grey won't be getting any head coaching offers with the 31st ranked rushing defense.

The loss of Pat Williams may have been a greater loss thn I anticipated. Now along with the loss of Edwards, we need to get this problem figured out. This along with our passing offense are the two areas we need to improve on if we are going to be above .500 this year.

We need a better run stuffer next to Adams and a better offensive line. I can't wait until Mike Williams gets back. I would like us to take a left tackle with our number one pick next year. Moulds and Williams need to restructure in order to sign Nate, which is very important.

Thoughts?

Meathead
10-12-2005, 02:05 AM
If Big Pat is the reason the Bills went from #13 to #31 against the run, why is Minnesota's run defense #32 (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/statistics?stat=team&sort=rypg&pos=def&league=nfl&season=2&year=2005) in the league?

DarbyTheDinosaur
10-12-2005, 06:09 AM
Meathead...excellent point.

I also think it illustrates what leads to a successful run defense...not having a completely impotent offense.

Week One
Houston had only 95 yards rushing...the Bills offense moved the ball pretty well all day...20 first downs.

Week Two
Tampa had 191 yards rushing...Bills offense only managed 8 first downs...the defense was arm tackling all over the place in the second half...because they are human beings and were on the hot Tampa field for nearly 40 minutes.

Week Three
This week is an abberation...Michael Vick really throws a wrinkle in trends.

Week Four
NO has 167 yards rushing...Bills offense only manage 13 first downs.

Week Five
21 Bills first downs keeps Miami at 113 yards...not stellar, but not terrible.

It's not Pat Williams being gone...it's not Spikes or Edwards being hurt...it's team cohesion.

The defense can be superb, but they are not superhuman. Keep the other team's TOP down to a normal level and watch the Bills regain at least 85-90% of their old defensive prowess.

kardshark19
10-12-2005, 06:14 AM
Meathead...excellent point.

I also think it illustrates what leads to a successful run defense...not having a completely impotent offense.

Week One
Houston had only 95 yards rushing...the Bills offense moved the ball pretty well all day...20 first downs.

Week Two
Tampa had 191 yards rushing...Bills offense only managed 8 first downs...the defense was arm tackling all over the place in the second half...because they are human beings and were on the hot Tampa field for nearly 40 minutes.

Week Three
This week is an abberation...Michael Vick really throws a wrinkle in trends.

Week Four
NO has 167 yards rushing...Bills offense only manage 13 first downs.

Week Five
21 Bills first downs keeps Miami at 113 yards...not stellar, but not terrible.

It's not Pat Williams being gone...it's not Spikes or Edwards being hurt...it's team cohesion.

The defense can be superb, but they are not superhuman. Keep the other team's TOP down to a normal level and watch the Bills regain at least 85-90% of their old defensive prowess.

Great post! :up:

colin
10-12-2005, 07:05 AM
offensive time of possession is a big part of having a strong running D, but so is tackling.

we schemed ourselves into a bit of trouble against atlanta, against tampa we just never seemed to have the ball. against NO we broke down after 3 quarters of solid play. against miamia and the other games a bit, our tackling wasn't great. we just really have to play better, i think the D not be over eager to knock the ball loose and stop the opponents for a loss every play will help that

losman2evans
10-13-2005, 11:32 PM
I don't think that the loss of Big Pat was the sole reason of our drop in or rushing defense, but I do believe his loss had a greater impact then I thought it would, especially now with the loss of Edwards.

I had just such high expectations of this defense, especially with Spikes believeing that this might be the best defense in the history of the NFL. Now we are a team that is thought of as one that can rushed on. I sure hope we figure out to stop Curtis Martin, because I don't think Testaverde's arm or mobilty can beat us.

Lets go Bills!!

CuseJetsFan83
10-13-2005, 11:42 PM
you also have to remember, that if the team is down in the dumps, they are going to play like it. the crap about who is playing qb gets in their heads, and in the case of the jets for a few games, they were outpossessed by nearly a 3-1 margin.

that defense gets tired in that span........ hell even the most conditioned athlete is exhausted at that point.

i hope for a low scoring defensive battle. best team wins.

plus all that shenanigans about years past is that....... the past

the talking ends sunday, either bring it, or get what happened to new orleans against green bay.

i'd much rather watch a 22-17....... 12-10...... you know a close score loss/win, rather than an absolute blowout in the L column.

time of possession means everything, you all know that. have the ball 35-40 minutes, and if you dont win, either your defense is failing you, or your offense scores about as much the oswego high school football team.

for those of you in the syracuse area, just let me remind you this team went 4 straight weeks of being shut out.

i look forward to coming out sunday, plan on having a great time win or lose, and hopefully will sell my extra ticket, because beer aint cheap.

G. Host
10-14-2005, 12:51 AM
Against Tampa and Atlanta you are dealing with experienced QBs who are mobile; the Bills were fairly poor against those type of teams last year in terms of rushing and they are STILL having trouble against those type of teams. They have shown how to beat a Gray-type agressive defense - attack its aggresiveness!

sba
10-14-2005, 01:52 AM
you also have to remember, that if the team is down in the dumps, they are going to play like it. the crap about who is playing qb gets in their heads, and in the case of the jets for a few games, they were outpossessed by nearly a 3-1 margin.

Agree 100%, the JP benching seemed to light a fire under the D against Miami. Causing turnovers and such.

Big Pat was a big loss because him and Adams complimented each other so well. So yes, the drop off can be attributed to his loss.