RedEyE
01-09-2003, 10:51 PM
Riemersma, Newman expect to go
By ALLEN WILSON
News Sports Reporter
12/31/2002

Click to view larger picture

JAMES P. McCOY/Buffalo News
Tight end Jay Riemersma could be released for salary cap reasons.

Tight end Jay Riemersma and linebacker Keith Newman have spent their entire careers with the Buffalo Bills, but they don't think it's going to end that way.
During the Bills' season-ending clean-out-the-locker routine Monday morning, Riemersma and Newman talked openly about the likelihood that their days in Buffalo are over.

Riemersma has a year left on his contract, but could be released for salary cap reasons. Newman will be an unrestricted free agent March 3.

"I called (wife) Cara from the car (Sunday night), and it got a little emotional there," a misty-eyed Riemersma said. "I talked to guys like Phil Hansen and John Holecek, asking them how they handled it. I wear my emotions on my coat sleeve and it's been tough. It really has. You really never know in this business what's going to happen, but certainly you can see the writing on the wall."

Asked if he thought Monday was his last day as a Bill, Newman didn't hold back.

"Being realistic, I'd say yeah," he said. "It's a business. Things happen. You hate to leave the place that drafted you and where you played for four years with great people, great fans. I would hope it could work out. But you've watched the season for 16 weeks. I don't see it happening, personally. I'm just being realistic about the situation." ......more~~~~> http://buffalonews.com/editorial/20021231/1006138.asp

from BuffaloNews.com

Doc
01-09-2003, 10:54 PM
As far as Newman goes, if LeBeau joins them, not so fast. Apparently Gray and Aldridge (former LB coach) were at odds over how best to use Newman. He's still a talented player and I KNOW that if he leaves the Bills, he'll become a star with another team (read: Atlanta). Let's see if LeBeau joins and has any use for him.

RedEyE
01-09-2003, 10:58 PM
Imo, both could prove productive next season. Although hopeful, I don't think that Peerless Price will be back next season, and as long as JR and TD can come to a financial agreement, JR would prove to be a better weapon next year.

Eddie Robinson should go. I'm certain that getting Newman back into the lineup would increase defensive productivity. Brandon Spoon is now healthy (again) and if he can stay that way, he too should play well. Put Eddie Robinson on the plane with Jerry Gray.

shelby
01-10-2003, 04:25 AM
i like Newman, i hope he can stay. Riems is a good guy, but wants too much money, and Moore can do his job....i wish him luck.

SABURZFAN
01-10-2003, 04:41 AM
if i remember right,JR is scheduled to make $3.5 million for next year.if we cut him,how much do we save on the cap?

where's a capologist when you need one?:biggrin:

colin
01-10-2003, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by SABURZFAN
if i remember right,JR is scheduled to make $3.5 million for next year.if we cut him,how much do we save on the cap?

where's a capologist when you need one?:biggrin:

He is slated to make $3.5 in salary, if we cut him, we save all $3.5.

Voltron
01-10-2003, 12:01 PM
I think Newman has had it with this coaching regime. He will look to go some other place and never look back. This coaching staff has misused him and put in an old decrepid man in his place. I hope the kid does become a star. He deserves it after getting the shaft by these coaches.

BADTHINGSMAN
01-10-2003, 09:48 PM
The only reason Newman didnt start was Eddie Robinson knew the defense. Ok whats one guy that cant tackle a barn going to teach a bunch of guys that are younger and cant wait to hit someone?. Last year Newman had 9 sacks i think was. If the coaches cant figure where to use him, they are to stpid to coach.

I can tell where a guy who had 9 sacks a year ago should play. How about on the damn field. If the Bills dont get Colvin or Spikes and dont keep Newman, then every team will run down our throats again this season.

PA Season Ticket Holder
01-10-2003, 10:10 PM
Newman didn't have 9 sacks last year. He had 8 sacks about 4 years ago and hasn't done anything since.

JefftheBillsfan
01-10-2003, 10:12 PM
I disagree PA, last year I thought was Newman's best. He took on a bigger role when Sam Cowart went down and seemed to develop into a very good player last year. i dont know what happened this year.

Doc
01-10-2003, 10:13 PM
Keith Newman started all year long at RLB. Robinson played WLB. I think that they should re-sign Newman and put him back at WLB, and sign one of the FA OLB's for SLB.

Tatonka
01-10-2003, 11:07 PM
it was 2 seasons ago that he had 8 sacks. and he played well last year too.

he was not give much of a chance since then. that is not his fault. he will end up being like marvcus patten if we let him go.

The_Philster
01-11-2003, 05:44 AM
That's exactly what I was thinking Tatonka. He was misused this year. Put him at WLB where he can be freed up to rush the passer more, instead of dropped into coverage like last year or simply taken off the field this year, and he could very well retain his old form. I wouldn't give him more than a 3 year deal though, just in case.

justasportsfan
01-11-2003, 11:02 AM
The Newman situation is pretty much a Buttler victim. He has a lot to contribute to the team but the coaching staff decided otherwise. Just like Carpenter, Foreman and Rogers who continue to do well for other teams.

I'd rather have him back than Eddie Robinson,

JefftheBillsfan
01-11-2003, 11:17 AM
if eddie robinson is starting next year, we are in trouble.

Tatonka
01-11-2003, 01:08 PM
chad pennington made robinson leave he jock on the field. that sealed eddie's fate with the bills.