X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CanaanVtBillsFan
    • Sep 2003

NFL.COM mentions our QB move "best move"

NFL.COM has a section called Squib Kicks "Hot Seat" had this to say about our QB situation

When the Bills released Drew Bledsoe back in February, they immediately made 2004 draftee J.P. Losman the starter. But after Losman's stuggles, Buffalo benched him in favor of Kelly Holcomb, a move that led to a Bills' win and mention from Pat Kirwan as one of the best calls of Week 5.

This also is from NFL.COM by Pat Kirwan

ranked 5 0ut of 5

5. The Bills benching quarterback J.P. Losman: Losman is a first-round quarterback that the Bills want desperately to take them back to the playoffs. They released Drew Bledsoe in the offseason because they believed he couldn't get them over the top in the AFC East, even though Buffalo finished up 6-2 in the last eight games of 2004.

Now the brain trust of the Bills have turned to journeyman Kelly Holcomb to save the season. On his first day on the job, the Bills get a win. Holcomb completed 20 of 26 passes, and even though he was sacked three times, he did not throw an interception. It appears the call to play Holcomb rallied the veteran players who want to win now.

I'm not trying to act like some football guru
    I'm just into football as all of you. I wanted to share this hoping no one else had covered it here in the Zone
    TommieBoy
  • buffalofan19
    God's gift to the Zone
    • Dec 2004

Re: NFL.COM mentions our QB move "best move"

I'm not trying to stir anything, but I find it interesting how basically everyone in the national media thinks starting Holcomb is a great move by the Bills, while the majority of the local media hates the idea. There are decent arguments for both sides, but it goes to show how the NFL is a "win-now" league. The national media (and I realize it can't be taken too seriously) says that the Bills need to make the playoffs now, and it seems that Losman can't do it, but Holcomb might be able to. The local media is leaning toward the future, saying give the kid experience. It is quite an interesting contrast.
    Penguins at Sabres Highlight Video 10/10/05
    Sabres at Lightning Highlight Video 10/13/05
    Sabres at Bruins Highlight Video 10/20/05
    Rangers at Sabres Highlight Video 10/22/05
    Sabres at Islanders Highlight Video 10/29/05
    Maple Leafs at Sabres Highlight Video 11/11/05
    Devils at Sabres Highlight Video 11/15/05
    Sabres at Bruins Highlight Video 11/19/05
    Sabres at Islanders Highlight Video 11/23/05
    Canadiens at Sabres Highlight Video 11/25/05

Comment

• doomsdayvirus
      decade of fail
      • Oct 2005

[quote=buffalofan19]I'm not trying to stir anything, but I find it interesting how basically everyone in the national media thinks starting Holcomb is a great move by the Bills, while the majority of the local media hates the idea.[/quote]

yeah, i noticed that too. it seems like the national media was really quick to judge and spit out one-liners equivilent to "losman sucks, start holcomb" without giving much thought to it. it didn't seem to me like they were putting very much thought into it at all.

i suppose it's the nature of the business though. when you're covering 32 teams you don't have time to think about every move in detail. when you're covering 1 team exclusively (like the buffalo news does) then you have nothing but time to sit there and analyze and over-analyze and re-analyze each and every little situation. even some that are rather insignificant.

and to clarify, i don't mean the QB situation is insignificant, but some of the other stuff that the buff news has written about this season has been.
      d00Mz

http://www.DecadeOfFail.com

FAIL SALE!!!: ALL T-Shirts, any size, now only $6.99!!

Comment

• Fairway
        • Jul 2002

Last year most of the national media said it was a bad move for the Giants to bench Warner and play Manning. Where would the Giants be this year if they had listened to them?

Comment

• Fairway
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by buffalofan19
          I'm not trying to stir anything, but I find it interesting how basically everyone in the national media thinks starting Holcomb is a great move by the Bills, while the majority of the local media hates the idea. .

The local media watches this team a lot closer than the national media. They see all our holes and know we are not a playoff team.

Comment

• Fairway
            • Jul 2002

One more thing. A lot of the national media is made up of former players. They are always going to be in favor of a veteran over a young guy trying to learn

Comment

• Shasta McNasty
              • Feb 2003

Originally posted by Fairway
              Last year most of the national media said it was a bad move for the Giants to bench Warner and play Manning. Where would the Giants be this year if they had listened to them?
              That was said based on the Giants record at the time.

Comment

• Fairway
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Shasta McNasty
                That was said based on the Giants record at the time.

They had a better record then we do now when they said that.

Comment

• venis2k1
                  Youboty can hope
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by buffalofan19
                  but it goes to show how the NFL is a "win-now" league.
                  well when the owner is paying 85 million a year, they should want to win.

Comment

• DynaPaul
                    • Sep 2003

We'll see how far Kelly can take us. If we fall out of contention it's JP's team again and he'll be that much better off once he starts next year. I think starting Holcomb is a good move for now if this team really believes that it can contend.

Comment

• vicmantak
                      • Jun 2005

The only thing that I know is that this offense seems to be way better.

"Defeat is simply a signal to press onward"
                      - Helen Keller

"What we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down"

- Mary Pickford

Comment

Working...
                      X