PDA

View Full Version : Ottawa Owner Rob Bryden is Delusional and deserves to be run out of town on a rail

Ð
01-10-2003, 06:42 AM
Having (and paying for) a first-place hockey team in Ottawa is like having 3 hummers and a Lamborghini (100 % financed) in the driveway of your mobile home while working delivering pizzas.

I can't believe the arrogance of this guy, calling out the fans yesterday. Bettman came in afterward to do damage control, as the Senators are middle of the pack in terms of NHL attendance.

Bryden has alienated the Ottawa business community, his season ticket subscriber base and now the single-game fan.

What a maroon. He deserves to lose his shirt.

SABURZFAN
01-10-2003, 01:44 PM
i really don't know the whole story on this issue.they're 25th in the NHL for payroll and Big Doug states that they're "in the middle of the pack" in attendance.how can this guy be declaring bankruptcy?it sounds as if this guy has made his money and he wants out.Ottawa waited a long time to have NHL hockey back in their city and this guy sounds as if he's putting them in danger of being on the outside,looking in again.

as for buttman(no,i didn't misspell it),i don't trust this guy..PERIOD!!!i smell a couple of rats here.like i previously stated,i don't know the whole story but i don't have a good feeling about this.

Ð
01-10-2003, 03:05 PM
The difference is that they're a relatively new (10 yrs) franchise that is burdened with the enormous debt from the (1) franchise fee and the (2) cost of the brand new arena that was a condition of getting the franchise.

The business model never even had potential for a break-even under that crushing debt unless they filled the stands 100% or got some sort of government subsidy.

Outside of Ottawa, Bryden is seen as a whining, poor businessman who wants to pick taxpayers pockets, so there was no chance in hell for Federal or Provincial funding.

Attendance has dropped off slightly this year, as it has in most NHL cities.

So, as a result, Bryden has run out of credit and the financial dogs are calling.

Basically, Bryden doesn't have deep enough pockets or credit to get through a cash flow crisis that was a fundamental flaw of the business model for the Senators.