PDA

View Full Version : Which is more important?

MikeInRoch
10-13-2005, 11:01 AM
Personally, I feel that making the playoffs for one season is much, much less important than building for a potential Super Bowl run. Those who would rather try to make the playoffs this year are too impatient.

G. Host
10-13-2005, 12:08 PM
Agree but not convinced by Losman's play that he is ready. I hope we will have some games this year in which he can show he IS getting better with more practice time. Despite being on roster last year he is still a rookie.

P.S. Defense needs to get better to earn a championship as well. They seem to fall apart too often despite also making great plays which bail out offense.

mysticsoto
10-13-2005, 12:24 PM
This is something I've argued before. Alot of people are up in arms about not making a playoff appearance in quite a few years. Who cares if we make a playoff appearance and then get eliminated in the 1st round b'cse we are not good enough?

Who gets more respect, a playoff team, or a superbowl team? And even then, who gets more respect a superbowl player or a superbowl winner? I don't see many people (except loyal Bill fans) saying, "Oooh, oooh, Buffalo won the AFC East Championships and went to the superbowl 4 times in the early 90s". No, instead we tend to hear, "Buffalo lost the superbowl 4 times in a row - how pathetic...etc."

In those respects, I much rather prepare for and go after a superbowl and win one finally than go for the short term win that may delay any long term plans. And yes, I understand and realize that JP may not take us to the promised land. But as of right now, I think he has the better potential to take us there.

I think alot of people have jumped on the Holcomb bandwagon - and I think that's fine. I will give him my support as long as he is the QB leading us. But on his 1st loss or 1st bad game, I want to see how many people remain on his bandwagon...

Personally, JP has executed well in the 1st drive of every game...until teams make adjustments, I might consider having JP start each game and unless he is doing super fantastic, put in Holcomb in the 2nd half and force teams to face a different style of play and something they weren't expecting - maybe for the NE game - let's see if Belicheck can foresee that coming and plan for it...

OpIv37
10-13-2005, 12:27 PM
Once we get into the playoffs, anything can happen. You're proposing starting a rebuilding phase, which we're basically forced into in the coming off-season anyway. This is the last hurrah people- if we don't make the playoffs now, it will be at least 3 seasons.

Consider this:
Eric Moulds- Gone
Nate Clements- Gone
Takeo Spikes- may not ever be 100%
Vincent, Adams and Milloy- getting old, won't be competitive much longer.

We have a good core of young skill players in Losman, McGahee, Evans, and hopefully Parrish. Our ST is set for the forseeable future, but the D and O line need to be rebuilt. It's win now or win in 3 years.

MikeInRoch
10-13-2005, 12:30 PM
Once we get into the playoffs, anything can happen.

While theoretically this is true, there is no way that this team makes it past New England, Pittsburgh, Indy, and San Diego this season. The probability is not zero, but it's pretty damn close.

Meathead
10-13-2005, 12:35 PM
defenlly win now. defenlly.

TacklingDummy
10-13-2005, 12:36 PM
Have to make the playoff's to get to the Super Bowl. So I'll pick make the playoff's this year because the Bills can build upon that next year.

TacklingDummy
10-13-2005, 12:38 PM
We have a good core of young skill players in Losman, McGahee, Evans, and hopefully Parrish.

We have a good core of young skill players in McGahee, Evans, and hopefully Losman, Parrish

mysticsoto
10-13-2005, 12:40 PM
Once we get into the playoffs, anything can happen. You're proposing starting a rebuilding phase, which we're basically forced into in the coming off-season anyway. This is the last hurrah people- if we don't make the playoffs now, it will be at least 3 seasons.

Consider this:
Eric Moulds- Gone
Nate Clements- Gone
Takeo Spikes- may not ever be 100%
Vincent, Adams and Milloy- getting old, won't be competitive much longer.

We have a good core of young skill players in Losman, McGahee, Evans, and hopefully Parrish. Our ST is set for the forseeable future, but the D and O line need to be rebuilt. It's win now or win in 3 years.

With FA and the cap, things can turn around for any team at any moment!!! With Eric Moulds gone, we gain alot of cap space. If we use money to shore up the Oline and get a decent WR (plus draft a top one for development), we won't be that far off. Also, I have to wonder why they are playing Eric King so much and giving him experience. I think McGee is playing well (though he does get burned from time to time) and now it's time for a the rest of the CBs to pick it up. If Kevin Thomas stays healthy, he could be in the mix also.

Yes, everybody is on a clock - especially some of our defensive veterans, but like I said, there's always FA to fill in and teams improve dramatically from 1 year to another all the time. Just look at Miami!

justasportsfan
10-13-2005, 01:03 PM
Who cares if we make a playoff appearance and then get eliminated in the 1st round b'cse we are not good enough?
..the players do.

Like I said, if you want to develop JP and not go for a win, bench McGee, Willis, Shelton, Fletcher and all our other starters and go w/ our back-ups. What's the use of putting them in? Might as well develop the back-ups and save our proven players from injury that way they are rested for next year.

mysticsoto
10-13-2005, 01:17 PM
the players do.

Like I said, if you want to develop JP and not go for a win, bench McGee, Willis, Shelton, Fletcher and all our other starters and go w/ our back-ups. What's the use of putting them in? Might as well develop the back-ups and save our proven players from injury that way they are rested for next year.

Not a good idea. Players need to develop chemistry with each other to play well. Look at how horrible our D has been this year. Their chemistry is off. They are the same players of our dominant D last year, but they are off in working together and trying to be as dominant as they want to be. Just like the Oline - players need to gel with each other, and right now, they are not.

Personally, I'd like to develop JP and win!!! But if the D is not performing to their level, it shouldn't all be placed on JP. Holcomb did execute alot faster and I don't want to take anything away from him. But it doesn't mean he is our savior, and it doesn't mean he is going to win every game from here on. He was ideal to play against Miami who has a weak secondary. But how will he fare against a team that has a front 4 running after him with a terrible thin layer of an Oline inbetween him and them? For this case, it may be Losman's feet that could save the day.

I think this may very well be why Mularkey hasn't announced who will start. He may be thinking that JP might be better suited against the Jets. Now against NE, that would be a different story!

TacklingDummy
10-13-2005, 01:24 PM
For this case, it may be Losman's feet that could save the day.

Certainly isn't his arm. :crap:

justasportsfan
10-13-2005, 01:25 PM
Not a good idea. !I knew that

Players need to develop chemistry with each other to play well. Look at how horrible our D has been this year. Their chemistry is off. They are the same players of our dominant D last year, but they are off in working together and trying to be as dominant as they want to be. Just like the Oline - players need to gel with each other, and right now, they are not.

Personally, I'd like to develop JP and win!!! But if the D is not performing to their level, it shouldn't all be placed on JP. Holcomb did execute alot faster and I don't want to take anything away from him. But it doesn't mean he is our savior, and it doesn't mean he is going to win every game from here on. He was ideal to play against Miami who has a weak secondary. But how will he fare against a team that has a front 4 running after him with a terrible thin layer of an Oline inbetween him and them? For this case, it may be Losman's feet that could save the day.

I think this may very well be why Mularkey hasn't announced who will start. He may be thinking that JP might be better suited against the Jets. Now against NE, that would be a different story!If you give up on the rest of the team, they aren't gonna perform for you. They will get JP killed and we'll end up drafting another qb again. Why play my heart out when my coaches don't believe in us. I'll take it easy enjoy my millions and wait to get traded or move to another team that believes in me once my contract is up

mysticsoto
10-13-2005, 01:39 PM
I knew that

If you give up on the rest of the team, they aren't gonna perform for you. They will get JP killed and we'll end up drafting another qb again. Why play my heart out when my coaches don't believe in us. I'll take it easy enjoy my millions and wait to get traded or move to another team that believes in me once my contract is up

Who said anything about giving up? All I'm saying is, continue to move forward with those that can take us to the promised land. Look at all the people who said Jason Peters was too dumb and that he was a waste of a roster spot. And now look at him - playing OL, TE and ST and had the 1st catching TD for our team this year. But if we don't -play him, he doesn't develop...

finsrclowns
10-13-2005, 03:02 PM
Interesting way to frame a poll. What's next for the Losmanites- something like this perhaps?

Which would you rather do? a) Go 6-10 this year or b) go 2-14 this year but then be guaranteed the NFL's greatest dynasty behind JP LosMontanaBradyUnitasman?

:huh:

justasportsfan
10-13-2005, 03:08 PM
Who said anything about giving up? All I'm saying is, continue to move forward with those that can take us to the promised land. Look at all the people who said Jason Peters was too dumb and that he was a waste of a roster spot. And now look at him - playing OL, TE and ST and had the 1st catching TD for our team this year. But if we don't -play him, he doesn't develop...
after the first game the team was going backward w/ Losman. We wouldn't be talking about this in the first place if the team was moving forward w/ JP.

Iehoshua
10-13-2005, 03:12 PM
Two ways to look at it:

1. You can't win the Superbowl unless you make the playoffs, so making the playoffs should be the 1st priority.

2. Squeak into the playoffs with a crappy team and you're not going to advance very far, so the focus should be on building a complete team that has the best chance to win it all.

Let's not hate on each other as fans because we believe in 1 or 2 or somewhere in the middle. Let's get our heads screwed on straight. We're all Bills fans here. While I personally don't believe starting Holcomb is the right direction (and nothing anyone says or does at this point will change my mind), I will be rooting for whoever is behind center on Sunday along with the team to succeed, that's it period.

Mr. Cynical
10-13-2005, 03:13 PM
This is a loaded question but I answered anyway. Nobody has a crystal ball so you never stop trying to make the playoffs. JP could do it. KH could do it. Who knows.

But....if you can put things in place that will help the team build its foundation to be great and win an SB, you want to do that as well. So IMO we should be playing JP to see if he is the real deal or not. The Giants made that decision last year and look at them now. They didn't keep Warner and sit Eli this year "to learn from the bench", even though he played poorly last year. And there aren't many people who are going to say it was the wrong decision.

mysticsoto
10-13-2005, 03:28 PM
after the first game the team was going backward w/ Losman. We wouldn't be talking about this in the first place if the team was moving forward w/ JP.

My only complaint on this is that JP appears to be taking the brunt of the blame for our losses as though it was only him. Nevermind that the Defense was playing terrible or that the Oline was putrid - it was all JP's fault...

justasportsfan
10-13-2005, 03:34 PM
My only complaint on this is that JP appears to be taking the brunt of the blame for our losses as though it was only him. Nevermind that the Defense was playing terrible or that the Oline was putrid - it was all JP's fault... It's not about blaming anyone. JP is not Drew. It was all Drew's fault ( :snicker:) . Holcomb was just as efficient as JP in his first game and when your passing game is as efficient, we won both games.

Plus we need to pay the refs again. :snicker:

finsrclowns
10-13-2005, 03:34 PM
While I personally don't believe starting Holcomb is the right direction (and nothing anyone says or does at this point will change my mind), I will be rooting for whoever is behind center on Sunday along with the team to succeed, that's it period.

Classic. How about if KH plays well? Or will the standard be raised to an ever higher level that no matter what he does it will still be the "wrong direction"? Just wondering.

Iehoshua
10-13-2005, 03:39 PM
Classic. How about if KH plays well? Or will the standard be raised to an ever higher level that no matter what he does it will still be the "wrong direction"? Just wondering.
Read the entire statement.

nothing anyone says or does at this point will change my mind

That answers your question.

If KH plays well this coming Sunday, that would no longer be this point, would it?
:D

finsrclowns
10-13-2005, 03:48 PM
Read the entire statement.

That answers your question.

If KH plays well this coming Sunday, that would no longer be this point, would it?
:D

:lmao:

EDS
10-13-2005, 03:54 PM
This is a loaded question but I answered anyway. Nobody has a crystal ball so you never stop trying to make the playoffs. JP could do it. KH could do it. Who knows.

But....if you can put things in place that will help the team build its foundation to be great and win an SB, you want to do that as well. So IMO we should be playing JP to see if he is the real deal or not. The Giants made that decision last year and look at them now. They didn't keep Warner and sit Eli this year "to learn from the bench", even though he played poorly last year. And there aren't many people who are going to say it was the wrong decision.

Agreed. Although at this point, since they made the switch already might as well ride it out for 3-4 weeks. If the Bills do well, Holcomb continues to play. But, if they fail to go above .500, then Losman has to come back in and learn under fire.