PDA

View Full Version : Tedy Bruschi is a moron

sba
10-14-2005, 01:41 AM
http://cbs4boston.com/topstories/local_story_286180702.html

(CBS4) BOSTON There's a lot we don't know yet about Tedy Bruschi's football future, but this we can guarantee.

Number 54 will be back on the practice field with the Patriots in the next three weeks and sources tell CBS4's Steve Burton that he's hopefull to return to action this season.

Bruschi is eligible to come off the "physically unable to perform" list after week six, meaning next Monday.

Good move Tedy, hopefully you don't die on the field, but it'll be ok, you're a Patriot through and through. I bet your wife and kids are pleased that their daddy has an above average chance to die on the field if he takes a decent shot to the head. :shakeno:

Michael82
10-14-2005, 06:14 AM
Agreed. This is different from any other injury. He's a complete fool to go back out there and risk his life.

DMBcrew36
10-14-2005, 07:24 AM
I've been saying Bruschi is an loud-mouth idiot for the past year or two... finally something to back it up

Akhippo
10-14-2005, 10:42 AM
He has nothing else. He probably looks at his personal life and sees only football. Brain and heart ailments are the injuries you dont want to mess with. He should sit and enjoy his life.

THATHURMANATOR
10-14-2005, 11:43 AM

(CBS4) BOSTON There's a lot we don't know yet about Tedy Bruschi's football future, but this we can guarantee.

Number 54 will be back on the practice field with the Patriots in the next three weeks and sources tell CBS4's Steve Burton that he's hopefull to return to action this season.

Bruschi is eligible to come off the "physically unable to perform" list after week six, meaning next Monday.

Good move Tedy, hopefully you don't die on the field, but it'll be ok, you're a Patriot through and through. I bet your wife and kids are pleased that their daddy has an above average chance to die on the field if he takes a decent shot to the head. :shakeno:
Don't you think that he probably went over the risks with the Doctors? I doubt he would be coming back unless there wasn't much risk of serious injury.

CanaanVtBillsFan
10-14-2005, 12:12 PM
Lots of players have faced situations like this. It's an arrogance and stupidity to me
I remember LaFontaine being told not to play and I believe the Sabres let him go because of his risk

Hey their families get filthy rich if they die
pro players are also faced with the incredible sense of competion and as you all know many have hard times in life when they are out of that realm
drugs, alcohol, head problems, physical problems from the beatings their bodies endure

I would hate to see anyone lose their life over the game they love, but hey their big boys snd can make their own decisions
and also have a line of doctors the average joe can;t afford

LtBillsFan66
10-14-2005, 12:14 PM
If he was on the Bills you guys would be calling him a warrior.

Dr. Lecter
10-14-2005, 12:16 PM
I bet your wife and kids are pleased that their daddy has an above average chance to die on the field if he takes a decent shot to the head. :shakeno:

Do you have any evidence of the above statement?

Pride
10-14-2005, 12:18 PM
Exactly... he still has to be cleared by team doctors... they wouldnt let him play if they thought he had a big chance of dying.

Fact is.. any player in the NFL could die at any time.... just like the rest of us when crossing the street. There are no guarantees in life... other than death.

I do applaud him for coming back... but if his problems come back, he should step down for good.

camelcowboy
10-14-2005, 12:26 PM
He wouldn't be back if the team didn't need him, With Harrison done for the year, and law gone, this defense needs him more then ever, just for the emotional boost alone. Besides doctors wouldn't stop him from playing if they thought he was in a immediate danger, but keep in mind that he isn't in football shape, so if he wants to indanger his health so be it. Its not the first time an NFL player didn't use their brain. The Minnasota players playing popeye is great example. His decision we'll see how it ends up. I see both sides to the arguement, but i would think family obligations would stop me from playing after a stroke.

NC-BILLS44
10-14-2005, 01:20 PM
I'm familiar with strokes and feel he should take the year off. There's no need to risk it if you can give your body more time to get stronger.

Forward_Lateral
10-14-2005, 01:22 PM
I highly doubt the NFL would allow this if there was high risk of him dying on the field.

bledslow
10-14-2005, 04:02 PM

multiple doctors today on espn radio(boston) said he is NOT at any risk to get another stroke by playing football. -but it was cute to read you're post as you pretended to know what you were talking about.

DynaPaul
10-14-2005, 04:13 PM
If he was on the Bills you guys would be calling him a warrior.

Not so. I know when Chris Spielman tried coming back from his neck injury I thought that was dumb too. Spielman realized it soon enough when he went to the Browns I think the team was. I've never been a Bruschi fan, I've always thought he was a little cry baby on the field blessed by serendipity. I'm sure the Patriots fans will be happy that their leader is back on the field but they won't be happy when he goes down for good.

Iehoshua
10-14-2005, 04:14 PM
Spielman was good... :(

DMBcrew36
10-14-2005, 05:06 PM
I've never been a Bruschi fan, I've always thought he was a little cry baby on the field blessed by serendipity.
amen

slakjaw157
10-15-2005, 01:35 AM
I know it is tough to get that competitive spirit out your system, but cmon man, you've already won multiple superbowls. Time to hang it up and enjoy some other things.:scooter:

LifetimeBillsFan
10-15-2005, 06:34 AM
I know it is tough to get that competitive spirit out your system, but cmon man, you've already won multiple superbowls. Time to hang it up and enjoy some other things.:scooter:

I think that part of this is the result of an emotional reaction that Bruschi is going through that a lot of men who have strokes go through afterwards.

My father had five strokes and I saw him, in his own way, do much the same thing that Bruschi is doing after three of them. It's a form of denial. Where some men are so emotionally devastated by the stroke that they give up and won't even seriously try to rehab afterwards, others, like Bruschi and my father, react by trying to prove to the world and, most importantly, themselves that they are still exactly the same man that they were before the stroke happened and have not been effected by it at all. They throw themselves into rehab and often make marvelous recoveries to the point where they appear, outwardly to most observers, to be just as healthy as they were before the stroke and will try to do the same things that they did before as well. But, the thing is that they are not the same as before--their brains have been seriously injured, which impacts them physically in a lot of subtle ways even if they make a "full" recovery and their psyches have also been injured, which is something that everything that they are doing to restore themselves is designed to hide because it scares the hell out of them.

If the damage done to the brain by the stroke (the incident itself) is not that great, the brain can be retrained to handle the same functions that the damaged area of the brain were responsible for prior to the stroke, but the brain will not be as efficient in handling those functions. Think of it this way: you have some wiring inside the walls of your house and a portion of that wiring gets burned or damaged and you can't rip it all out and replace it without destroying the house; you can still salvage the bulk of the wiring by splicing it and adding some new, undamaged wiring so that the circuits will go around the damaged area and continue to work; if you do a good job of splicing, your wiring will appear to work just as well as it did before--but the circuits are not the same because, with the splicing, they are weaker and they are also longer, which means that the wiring is more susceptable to being damaged again if you overload the circuit and it takes longer (in nanoseconds) for the electricity to make the circuit. While it only takes fractions of a second for electricity to move in a circuit and the difference between before and after the repair is so slight as to be unnoticeable, the biochemical electrical processes that transmit signals in the brain are much slower. And, there is no real way to determine how good the "splicing" is--because that is something done by the body, itself, internally.

What all of this means--where it would come into play--in Bruschi's case is that, if he decides to play again, he may find that his decision-making process is slower. Now that may not matter much on the sidelines, but, on the field where everything is moving so fast and reactions have to be instantaneous, his brain may not be able to process the information fast enough for him to make all of the same plays with the same quickness as before. That could not only make him less effective as a player, but also make him more susceptible to being injured (in other parts of his body). It also means that, even if there is little risk of him getting another stroke while playing, that he will be more susceptible to having future strokes later on in life. The stress put on the body and mind by playing football at the professional level is intense and that part of his brain has already been damaged. More stress can only increase the risk of future damage over time.

My father made a marvelous recovery from his first three strokes. He could do almost everything he did before they occured. He could even drive a car pretty well. But, he never was quite as good at doing certain tasks as he was before and couldn't drive his car as well. Even though he could still operate his car and wanted to drive, after his third stroke, though, I had to take the keys away because, while he thought he could still drive well, his ability to judge distances and react to movements in traffic made him a danger to himself and others on the road. He was furious at me for doing this at first, but then realized and accepted the fact that the strokes had robbed him of the ability to drive. And, he managed to live 27 years after his first stroke and died of a totally unrelated illness.

Right now, Tedy Bruschi believes that he can still play football in the NFL--it is part of his essential identity. And, maybe he still can. But, what he doesn't realize and is not ready to accept is that he has been damaged by his stroke and it has impacted his abilities and that, while he thinks he can still do the same things he did before just as well, he will never be the same as he was before and will be putting himself and others at greater risk by trying to play again at such a high level.

I don't like or dislike Tedy Bruschi personally. But, for his own sake and for the sake of his family, I would like to see him live a long and active life--just like my father did. I don't think he will be able to do that if he comes back to play again in the NFL--just to prove a point to himself, really. I hope that he will decide not to do so. But, if he insists on playing, I hope that someone--his wife, his parents, his doctors, the NFL, or the NFL's insurance companies--will "take the keys away from him" and not allow him to play again. Based on everything that I had to learn about strokes and the experiences I went through with my father, I sincerely hope that Bruschi will never play in the NFL again. He can coach, teach, practice, work out, etc., but the risk of playing in games is IMHO too great.

Ickybaluky
10-15-2005, 07:10 AM
Ted starts practice on Monday. He has been doing individual drills in full pads for a week-and-a-half, which is all he is allowed to do because of his PUP designation. However, he has been doing individual drills to help him with his football disignation.

- He has been cleared by multiple independent doctors
- Last week he visited NY to visit a doctor of Kraft's choice and was given a clean bill of health
- His wife has given her blessing
- The last obstacle is being worked out, which is authoring injury-protection information with the team.

The doctors have told Ted he is no more likey to have another stroke than you or I.

Basically, there are two kinds of strokes. One is caused by bleeding of the brain, and there is a higher chance of another episode for those kinds. The 2nd kind is called an embulism, which is caused by a clot from another part of the body getting caught in a capillary in the brain and restricting blood flow. That is what Tedy had. Those are treated by dissolving the clot.

In Ted's case, the reason the clot made it's way to his brain was a tiny hole (actually, he had 2 holes) in his heart. He had surgery in March, with stints being put in place to block the holes. This is a common procedure in his case.

Since the cause of Ted's stroke has been found and fixed, he is not any more likely to have another stroke than anyone else.

Ickybaluky
10-15-2005, 07:11 AM
Also, say what you want about Bruschi, but he is a warrior.

The guy is already one of the most popular players to ever suit up for the Pats, and when he returns from this injury you might as well put boots, a cape and a big S on his chest as far as Patriot fans are concerned.

Bruschi is what a football player should be.

SABURZFAN
10-15-2005, 07:50 AM
The guy is already one of the most popular players to ever suit up for the Pats, and when he returns from this injury you might as well put boots, a cape and a big S on his chest as far as Patriot fans are concerned.

let's hope that his kryptonite isn't a similar shot that began tom brady's career.

DMBcrew36
10-15-2005, 08:15 AM

:puke:

Marino13Phins
10-15-2005, 08:28 AM
I didn't read this whole thread and I dont know if it was said. I was listening to a patriots newtwork around here, and they are saying he is at more risk then another football player for it to happen now since it has happened. But playing football is not increasing his likely hood of it happening again. They said he has the % of risk of just walking down the street and have it happen again.

Dozerdog
10-15-2005, 09:13 AM
Sorry- but if it was Takeo Spikes or Jim Kelly galantly fighting back from a stroke to return to football- all the Bruschi bashers would be lining up to call theose guys "brave heroes" yadda..yadda...yadda.....

Or better yet- had the stroke happened while Bruschi's contract expired- the Pats pass on re-signing him- and he was available right now- I'll bet dollars to donuts many here would be clamoring for Tom Donahoe to sign him as a replacement for Spikes (ir if Fletcher went down)

Most of therse opinions are fueld by what uni he wears- not about the guy or the condition of his health.

DynaPaul
10-15-2005, 09:55 AM

Yeah, you fans are gonna be the death of Tedy. The stroke was caused by 2 tiny holes in his heart. Now he'll be on the field playing Superman while his heart is under constant strain from running and tackling. I don't care what the doctors are paid to say.

Real f***ing smart.

Kerr
10-15-2005, 10:15 AM
All emotion, no brains. This is nothing new in the world of neanderthals. :rolleyes:

lordofgun
10-15-2005, 10:23 AM
I hear the holes were caused by steroid use.

:calm:

DMBcrew36
10-15-2005, 10:53 AM
I hear the holes were caused by steroid use.

:calm:

:chuckle: