PDA

View Full Version : Here's exactly why I discount what national level sports media says in detail about..

WG
01-10-2003, 10:44 AM
...particular teams. My Titans bud sent me this.

"Yesterday on ESPN radio Joe Thiesman was on and said he liked the Steelers.
He said Jevon Kearse was a big reason the Titans won 10 of their last 11 and
would be w/o him against the Steelers. This guy gets paid for his opinions.
Kearse missed most of those games and will play Saturday.

The Sporting News gave the Titans the worst secondary. The reason TSN was
hard on the Titans secondary was that teams would attack nickelback Mike
Echols and the team couldn't hide him. He is hidden, ON IR. You mean to tell
me a high profile sports mag doesn't know that Mike Echols is not the nickel
back and that he's been on IR most season! Echols a rookie got abused
early in the season when injuries forced the Titans to use him."

He's absolutely right. I've heard similar comments from others at other times as well. These guys simply don't have the time to study every team the way that the local guys and even avid fans do. I have no problem when the comment generally, but when they make detailed statements that only indicate their complete ignorance on a team or player, it's ridiculous. They should report the scores and review/preview games, but not get into the nits of each team unless they actually know WTH they're talking about.

Most of them do not!

Patrick76777
01-10-2003, 10:53 AM
Thiesman is full of it. The National guys are always making mistakes.

Cntrygal
01-10-2003, 10:57 AM
kinda like the article (cnnsi) that had Drew and Brady listed as the qb's for the Pats... for the first Bills/Pats matchup (which they also had them playing in the wrong stadium). :rolleyes:

LtBillsFan66
01-10-2003, 10:57 AM
They can't get away with it as easy in this day and age of lightening fast information at everyone's fingertips.

They have been feeding us BS for years!!!

Pride
01-10-2003, 10:59 AM
I agree whole heartedly.

ESPN does a pretty good job (countdown and primetime), but these CBS/FOX idiots are so concerned with their appearance and "knowledge" of the game, that they make themselves look stupid.

CBS is the worst.. Deion, Boomer, Dan? Pathetic!

Patrick76777
01-10-2003, 11:08 AM
Right…. I mean most of these ex-athletes are boneheads. It’s terrible watching some of them. But all they want is someone to say something controversial.

Earthquake Enyart
01-10-2003, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by Wys Guy
[B
I have no problem when the comment generally, but when they make detailed statements that only indicate their complete ignorance on a team or player, it's ridiculous. They should report the scores and review/preview games, but not get into the nits of each team unless they actually know WTH they're talking about.

Most of them do not! [/B]

This is funny. There's the pot calling the kettle black. :snicker:

LtBillsFan66
01-10-2003, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by Patrick76777
Right…. I mean most of these ex-athletes are boneheads. It’s terrible watching some of them. But all they want is someone to say something controversial.

I like the players take on things. I think it's the "experts" who have no clue.

The_Philster
01-10-2003, 03:45 PM
The national guys rarely get the real inside scoops...only what the teams want them to know. It's easy for teams to cover up stories from the national press because they only see them a few times a week, unlike the local media which is there everyday.

LtBillsFan66
01-10-2003, 03:49 PM
I call it re-reporting. Take what someone reports and report it over and over. Maybe the first assessment was inaccurate. Then the inaccuracy propagates.

Like the media cronies who think Steve McNair was snubbed from the pro-Bowl.

WG
01-11-2003, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart

This is funny. There's the pot calling the kettle black. :snicker:

Actually, what's "the pot calling the kettle black" is someone who takes what they say over another who does sit down, watch the games, review them, look at the PBP, and provide steady analysis and supporting documentation for their statements.

;)

Sorry Mr. Pot! :D

SABURZFAN
01-11-2003, 12:28 PM
listening to theismann sometimes is very painful.well...ok...the MAJORITY of the time.