PDA

View Full Version : Holcomb has been here before

The_Philster
10-16-2005, 05:08 AM
He owned Cleveland.

Had the good folks of that blue-collar town on the other end of Lake Erie eating from the palm of his hand. In fact, quarterback Kelly Holcomb even supplied the food topping. After a near-record setting performance in a wild-card playoff loss to the rival Pittsburgh Steelers in 2003, then winning the starting job from former No. 1 overall pick Tim Couch during a heated training camp battle, Holcomb became a folk hero to Browns fans. more (http://www.democratandchronicle.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051016/SPORTS03/510160348/1007/SPORTS)

Sportsuser101
10-16-2005, 08:22 AM
He owned Cleveland.

Had the good folks of that blue-collar town on the other end of Lake Erie eating from the palm of his hand. In fact, quarterback Kelly Holcomb even supplied the food topping. After a near-record setting performance in a wild-card playoff loss to the rival Pittsburgh Steelers in 2003, then winning the starting job from former No. 1 overall pick Tim Couch during a heated training camp battle, Holcomb became a folk hero to Browns fans. more (http://www.democratandchronicle.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051016/SPORTS03/510160348/1007/SPORTS)

This is a stupid article. We just want him to fill in for a few games until our future is ready. Cleveland thought Holcomb was their future.

ParanoidAndroid
10-16-2005, 10:43 AM
This is a stupid article. We just want him to fill in for a few games until our future is ready. Cleveland thought Holcomb was their future.

I dunno. Cleveland was hopefull for Couch for two seasons which is why they played that sea-saw game with him and Holcomb. I swear it was like a weird sort of QB Doe-See-Doe.

If Mularkey plays that game with Losman, it will be the worst thing for JP's career. I say give this a try and if we keep winning, ride Holcomb for the rest of the year. JP is young and he'll, at worst, get another chance next year.
If we keep losing, put JP back in and let him go.

The_Philster
10-16-2005, 10:09 PM
til our future is ready? How will he get ready sitting on the bench and very likely getting minimal snaps in practice?

NJFINSFAN1
10-16-2005, 10:15 PM
I dunno. Cleveland was hopefull for Couch for two seasons which is why they played that sea-saw game with him and Holcomb. I swear it was like a weird sort of QB Doe-See-Doe.

If Mularkey plays that game with Losman, it will be the worst thing for JP's career. I say give this a try and if we keep winning, ride Holcomb for the rest of the year. JP is young and he'll, at worst, get another chance next year.
If we keep losing, put JP back in and let him go.

Holcomb had some huge games for the browns. I'm sorry you guys got him, I wanted the Fins to sign him. He is not a world beater, but the kid can play.

ArcticWildMan
10-16-2005, 10:16 PM
We are committed to Holcomb for as long as we are in the running for the playoffs. Management made that official when we benched JP. I will not be surprised to see JP ride the bench the rest of the year.

Next season we may see JP as the starter again but this time we may see more of a competition in training camp.

Mitchy moo
10-16-2005, 10:20 PM
"Next season we may see JP as the starter again but this time we may see more of a competition in training camp."

I would of liked to of seen any competition.

:smashfrea

Mr. Cynical
10-16-2005, 10:34 PM
Holcomb, who is 5-10 all-time as a starter in the NFL, said he would've been extremely disappointed had Mularkey not started him today.

Last season, Holcomb took turns with Jeff Garcia and Luke McCown under center as the Browns limped home 4-12.

"People here eventually accepted the fact Kelly was a good quarterback but would never really be great," Lesko said. "The lesson with him, I think, is don't get your hopes up too high."

He is 5-10 as a starter.
He couldn't beat out Garcia and McCown.
As Lesko said, "don't get your hopes up too high."

IMO, he is a very competent backup, nothing more. There is a reason nobody competed to get him as their starter in the offseason, including us.