PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Gray to STAY as DC! Gilbride to take over QB coach too....

Michael82
01-10-2003, 03:44 PM
Gregg Williams was just on WNSA. He said that Kevin Gilbride will be taking over the job of Quarterbacks Coach. Him and Bledsoe already have a good relationship and will continue to work together. Also, Gregg said that he has wanted a guy of Krumrie's experience to take over the Defensive line. Krumrie will work with the young players and has always been successful working with the rookies each year. Williams also mentioned that Jerry Gray will continue to be the Defensive Coordinator of the Buffalo Bills. The players like him and Gregg thinks he is doing a pretty good job with the talent he has. Also, Dick Lebeau is taking some time off right now and will talk more with the Bills sometime next week. Gregg is looking at Lebeau for an assistant coaching job on the staff and will be happy to get him on the team anywhere, with his experience. The Bills are interested in his experience and Gregg said that anytime you can get a good coach like that on your staff, you have to do it.

Earthquake Enyart
01-10-2003, 03:46 PM
Could you see TD's hand in the small of GW's back?

Were TD's lips moving?

Novacane
01-10-2003, 03:49 PM
Really........GW is full of crap. If TD did not force him to hire Lebeau he never would!

Novacane
01-10-2003, 03:50 PM
ANother thing for GW . If he says having experienced coach's is so important than why did he hire a bunch of rookies in the first place? He's full of crap!

Michael82
01-10-2003, 03:59 PM
Hmmm...Lebeau as the assistant Defensive coach and LB Coach...then Spikes could get reeled in. Lebeau would be his position coach and he would get to help him out with the new playbook. :D

Michael82
01-10-2003, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart

Were TD's lips moving?

I wondered that myself! Gregg never wanted experience before! But now...he loves it. He wants experience and not young rookie coaches. :rolleyes:

Earthquake Enyart
01-10-2003, 04:01 PM
All of GW's strengths that were touted to us when he was hired turned out to be a bunch of stinking lies.

Is he all that organized?
Does his staff teach? Weren't they among the most penalized team in the league? Is he really connected, keeping detailed notes, about coaches all over the country?

Why are we retooling the coaching staff to such a massive degree if this were such a great move in the first place? :huh:

kgun12
01-10-2003, 04:04 PM
Bledsoe Did you ever stop to THINK that he realized his mistake by what the coaches produced, that you need to have some experience in the NFL. It's call learning by your mistakes. I would be more upset to hear him say, well this guy didn't work so I will bring in another college coach without any NFL experience! BTW how long will it take for the negitives to come out about Krumrie on the board. Probably while I'm typing this.

Romes
01-10-2003, 04:08 PM
give GW a break. He came in here and hired some coaches. Smartly he realized they weren't good enough. Weather he made this decision on his own or with TD doesn't matter. The point is that he realized his mistakes and is now correcting them by hiring more experienced people.

Michael82
01-10-2003, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by CalBillsFan
give GW a break. He came in here and hired some coaches. Smartly he realized they weren't good enough. Weather he made this decision on his own or with TD doesn't matter. The point is that he realized his mistakes and is now correcting them by hiring more experienced people.

Good post! :10:

I totally agree. Maybe he decided to give his whole staff two years and now realized that his defensive players could use a more experienced coaching staff to help out. Lebeau will definitely help out all the young players that are on this team, if he is hired.

Romes
01-10-2003, 04:14 PM
For all you people that think TD is making all these coaching hirings take a look at this quote (you anti-GW people probably won't believe it anyway)

"On Thursday, Cincinnati Bengals assistant coach Tim Krumrie visited Buffalo to meet with head coach Gregg Williams."

No where does it say TD interviewed Krumrie. GW is the guy who conducted the interview and decided to hire this guy. Think of this just as a rookie player improves so does a rookie coach and GW was a rookie coach at the time and now he is improving.

oh the link for the quote is http://www.buffalobills.com/news/index.cfm?cont_id=157103

justasportsfan
01-10-2003, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by kgun12
.BTW how long will it take for the negitives to come out about Krumrie on the board. Probably while I'm typing this.

Wys is working on it, relax!

:evil:

kgun12
01-10-2003, 04:20 PM
Cal and Mike CAREFUL we may be way to positve when it comes to posting about GW we might be shoot!

:gobills:

The_Philster
01-10-2003, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by Mike32282

Good post! :10:

I totally agree. Maybe he decided to give his whole staff two years and now realized that his defensive players could use a more experienced coaching staff to help out. Lebeau will definitely help out all the young players that are on this team, if he is hired.
Maybe GW is starting to learn a few things...like that coaching an NFL team takes more than he thought.

Originally posted by justasportsfan

:snicker:

Novacane
01-10-2003, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by CalBillsFan

He's doing it to save his job IMO. Do you really think it was his idea to fire one of his best friends? NOT!

The point is......TD realized his mistake by letting GW hire all these rookies in the first place. If TD was not putting down the hammer we'd still be stuck with Shepard, Vinklarek, etc.

Novacane
01-10-2003, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by kgun12
Bledsoe Did you ever stop to THINK that he realized his mistake by what the coaches produced, that you need to have some experience in the NFL. It's call learning by your mistakes. I would be more upset to hear him say, well this guy didn't work so I will bring in another college coach without any NFL experience! BTW how long will it take for the negitives to come out about Krumrie on the board. Probably while I'm typing this.

Excuuuuuuuuuuuse me for not being a GW fan! I think he has made way to many mistakes. Does not mean I don't THINK!

BTW.......he probably would be hiring another no name with no experience if it was up to him. TD is calling the shots. Thats why were getting some qualified coach's now!

HenryRules
01-10-2003, 05:33 PM
I don't think these hirings are an admission by GW that his original hirings were poor. For last year and the year before, the team was rebuilding ... thus it would make sense to have coaches that are better at teaching technique versus having strategists. Now that we are in a position to contend, coaches that develop individual techniques are not as important as those that maximize a player's single-game performance. Thus a new group of coaches are needed. Its similar to the process that expansion teams (in most other sports) go through ... you hire coaches initially to deal with retreads/inexperienced players, then as the team starts to contend, you replace the staff with guys more accustommed to dealing with contenders/productive veterans.

I really think this was TD's/GW's plan all along. GW was hired by TD based on an interview where the main selling point was his extensive planning and the fact he was already aware of who he wanted to coach. The fact that the coaches were given 2 year contracts instead of the 3-year deal GW received leads me to believe that he didn't expect the 2-year coaches to be around when the team started contending.

Finally, if you disagree with the hirings of the coaches, there is absolutely no way that you can place all the blame on GW. TD interviewed and hired GW and in the process learned who he wanted to hire as his assistants. If he had any problems at all with these choices, he could have prevented it at any time.

Romes
01-10-2003, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by BledsoeTOreedfor6
He's doing it to save his job IMO. Do you really think it was his idea to fire one of his best friends? NOT!

The point is......TD realized his mistake by letting GW hire all these rookies in the first place. If TD was not putting down the hammer we'd still be stuck with Shepard, Vinklarek, etc.

Yes, I really do think it was his idea to fire his friend. Oh and he did not fire them. Their contract was up and they just did not offer them a new one. Who cares if GW is doing it to save his job? The guy is working for a paycheck. Of course he is gonna do whatever it takes to mantain that paycheck. Usually, everyone that works does stuff to save their job. Who wants to get fired?

On the second part, how do you know that? You are making an unfair assumption about GW based on opinion. This assumption either causes an anti-GW opinion or is derived from an anti-GW opinion it is extreamly biased and there is no fact in it at all.

Originally posted by BledsoeTOreedfor6

BTW.......he probably would be hiring another no name with no experience if it was up to him. TD is calling the shots. Thats why were getting some qualified coach's now!

Again an assumption. There is no fact in that statement. BTR6 put your prejudices behind you about GW. Based on everything I've read he is the one and only who interviewed Krumrie yesterday. How can you say that TD is calling all the shots when he did not even interview (in person atleast) with the DL coach we just hired?

Romes
01-10-2003, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by HenryRules
I don't think these hirings are an admission by GW that his original hirings were poor. For last year and the year before, the team was rebuilding ... thus it would make sense to have coaches that are better at teaching technique versus having strategists. Now that we are in a position to contend, coaches that develop individual techniques are not as important as those that maximize a player's single-game performance. Thus a new group of coaches are needed. Its similar to the process that expansion teams (in most other sports) go through ... you hire coaches initially to deal with retreads/inexperienced players, then as the team starts to contend, you replace the staff with guys more accustommed to dealing with contenders/productive veterans.

I really think this was TD's/GW's plan all along. GW was hired by TD based on an interview where the main selling point was his extensive planning and the fact he was already aware of who he wanted to coach. The fact that the coaches were given 2 year contracts instead of the 3-year deal GW received leads me to believe that he didn't expect the 2-year coaches to be around when the team started contending.

Finally, if you disagree with the hirings of the coaches, there is absolutely no way that you can place all the blame on GW. TD interviewed and hired GW and in the process learned who he wanted to hire as his assistants. If he had any problems at all with these choices, he could have prevented it at any time.

Very interesting points. Great post!! :up:

Kelly The Dog
01-10-2003, 07:32 PM
And just how many excellent, experienced, NFL veteran position coaches WERE OUT OF FRIGGIN' WORK when GW was hired? Ummmmmmmm... NONE? You can't just go and get a position coach from anywhere. The ones that are veteran and top notch HAVE JOBS. GW wasn't even close to being hired at this point in the year two seasons ago. Wasn't it after the Super Bowl so they could interview Marvin Lewis? Geez... no one will be happy until we get those wacko Raelians to clone us 9 Vince Lombardis in a petri dish.

Doc
01-10-2003, 08:00 PM
I don't care who did what. I'm just happy that some crappy coaches are getting replaced, at worst by guys with NFL experience, and at best with some good coaches. The team plays hard for Williams and that's the most important thing, not harping on his bad coaching decisions the past few years.

TigerJ
01-10-2003, 10:13 PM
I think a lot of this discussion is due to the fact that GW was such a jerk in his first year at Buffalo. He said a lot rash and abrasive things and then made a lot of mistakes in his coaching during the season. I think he did much better in most departments this past season, but first impressions usually carry more weight than anything else with a lot of people. I don't pretend to know what went on behind the scenes with the recent decisions not to renew some contracts. I do make some assumptions however.

One: Tom Donahoe wouldn't be doing his job if he didn't express his opinion to GW about the job that his assistants have been doing over the past couple of seasons.

Two: Of course GW is feeling some pressure to continue getting better results next season. Every coach who hasn't just won the Super Bowl ought to be feeling at least a degree of pressure to do better next year.

Three: Even if it were true, there is no way anyone in the Bills organization would or should say that TD is telling GW who to fire and hire among his assistants.

Four: GW has a lot of drive to win regardless of job situation or anything TD tells him. I believe he is not blind to what his assistant coaches can and can't do, whether or not they are his friends, and if they aren't doing the job. When we think that, I think we've been conditioned by our disgust at Wade Phillips blatant cronyism in hiring and refusing to fire that raging incompetent, Ronnie Jones.

Frankly, I think what happened is that TD sat down with GW and said, "Greg, you've had two years with your current roster of assistant coaches except for the offensive coordinator position. All your position coaches have two year contracts that are up. We need to do an objective evaluation of each one before we can consider giving any of them new contracts. I want to got through the list one by one. I want you to tell me how each one has done. I want strengths and weaknesses. I want to know how you think the players respond to them. I want to know if they have shown they have the know how to do their job."

In such a setting GW would not be able, nor do I think he would want to just gloss everything over and say everything's fine. He would have to admit that some of the players did not respond very well to Vinklarek and complained that they were not getting the help they needed. When it was all done, TD would have said, "OK Given this evaluation, do you think at a couple of these positions we could make an upgrade by getting someone with a more experience, someone with a track record?"

In that scenario, it is not TD going over GW's head, but instead is doing his job, keeping his head coach accountable and letting him know that the status quo isn't good enough. GW makes the decision, but TD has input, just like the public face the Bills are putting on it. That's how I hope it happened. If it happened any other way, it would be better if we never learn the truth.

Rebecky
01-11-2003, 03:07 PM
Maybe TD learned from the "PT Barnum" snowjob he got from Tennessee when TD first hired GW -- Even after the decision had been made to groom Schwarz as DC, Tennessee kept GW as a figurehead and was careful about not publicly revealing GW's negatives, only one local reporter ever published the inside scoop. And Buffalo took the bait. Guess TD is hoping for the same kind of luck -- push GW into a figurehead position and hope another team takes the bait for the 3rd year of GW's contract.

Dozerdog
01-11-2003, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by Kelly The Dog
And just how many excellent, experienced, NFL veteran position coaches WERE OUT OF FRIGGIN' WORK when GW was hired? Ummmmmmmm... NONE? You can't just go and get a position coach from anywhere. The ones that are veteran and top notch HAVE JOBS. GW wasn't even close to being hired at this point in the year two seasons ago. Wasn't it after the Super Bowl so they could interview Marvin Lewis? Geez... no one will be happy until we get those wacko Raelians to clone us 9 Vince Lombardis in a petri dish.

:tongue:Shows what you know... you don't clone 9 Lombardis- you clone

1 Lombardi (HC)
1 Landry (D Coordinator)
1 Knoll (LB Coach)
1 Levy (Special Teams)
1 Shula (Secondary)
1 Halas (DL Coach)
1 Lambeau (RB/WR)
1 Walsh (O Coordinator)
1 Paul Brown (OL Coach)

WG
01-11-2003, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart

Were TD's lips moving?

:lol:

Dude, ROTFLMAO!!!

WG
01-11-2003, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by justasportsfan

I actually think Krumrie was a good hire.

I'm actually quite up on the team for next year and have been more up than most people about our D, Henry, the OL. Just b/c I don't think Drew can do everything by himself, please don't hold that against me.

Uh oh! More positives!

All of you who say the coaches don't have any experience, guess what? They do now!

I think the past season or two has given them all the experience they need. I think that in most cases, that we'd be taking a step backwards by hiring new ones other than for replacing Kragthorpe and Levra. Gotta keep/have some chemistry somewhere and quit changing coaches like we change our underwear.

Gilbride doomed himself to getting demoted to QB coach. His nose will be ever further up Drew's butt now that he's in that role. I sure hope Drew showers several times a day! My guess is that Gilbride gets completely fired after next season.

As to Lebeau, what's he done that he deserves to replace Gray? Even if Gray in fact sucks, I don't see achievements regarding defense popping off the page of DL's resume. I see that as just another TD friend hire.

GO BILLS!!!

Let's just not wait until 8 weeks into FAcy before picking up some guys again.

WG
01-11-2003, 09:52 PM
Also, much of this is simply pure speculation, who said what to whom, etc. The bottom line is that GW has made some changes even if it was w/ "TD's help" or "Wilson's input", but the fact is that they have. It's not everyday that you see OCs moved down to QB Coach. I think that speaks volumes to the commitment these guys have to winning.

My biggest skepticism, as stated, is whether we keep going after "guys that TD knows or 'has worked with' " and seemingly purely for that reason.

The team is evolving in the right direction. Who's the new OC gonna be?