PDA

View Full Version : Roy still going strong as he closes in on another mark

Don Cherry
01-10-2003, 06:12 PM
Jan 10, 2003

http://nhl.com/onthefly/news/77254.html

DENVER (AP) -- Patrick Roy holds nearly every significant NHL goaltending record, has won four Stanley Cups, and is on the verge of becoming the first goalie to play 1,000 games.

It almost didn't happen.

Growing up in Quebec City, Quebec, Roy was drawn to goaltending because he liked the way the equipment looked. By age 6, he was strapping pillows to his legs with belts and turning away shots in the upstairs of his parents' house.

But during his first year of organized hockey, the kid who would later be called the greatest goalie who ever lived was told he couldn't play.

"My first year I played outdoor and the goalie got hurt, and I asked if I could be the goalie," Roy said. "He (the coach) said,'No, you can't be the goalie because you're too small.' The following year, I asked my mom if I could be a goalie, and I guess that's the best thing that ever happened to me."

And the Avalanche.

Colorado general manager Pierre Lacroix has had a knack for finding the right pieces to improve his team, trading for players like Rob Blake, Ray Bourque and Theo Fleury to give the Avalanche an extra boost headed into the playoffs........

northernbillfan
01-11-2003, 03:00 AM
Roy is a bum. He is well past his prime. He is a wife beater and for that, I have no respect for him.

I hope the Dozerdogs go down due to his *ahem* goaltending.

Sabre Ally
01-11-2003, 03:50 PM
:chuckle: Looks like I'm not the only one with a strong dislike for Chicken-Neck ROy

Buffarama
01-11-2003, 07:03 PM
He's killing me in my fantasy leagues. He was the cornerstone of most of my teams, and he's really playing bad.