PDA

View Full Version : What can be done to improve our run D?

Novacane
10-16-2005, 07:26 PM
Playing Malloy up to help the last 2 games has not improved our run D. What else can they try? Unlike the last 2 games we are going to play some good QB's who don't throw INT's in the red zone. We have to start playing better run D to win those games

DynaPaul
10-16-2005, 07:27 PM
4 - 6 defense!

colin
10-16-2005, 07:48 PM
our LBs are too close to the line, our safeties get too close, and our ends run up the field too much.

simply put, we are too aggresive

Kerr
10-16-2005, 08:41 PM
The run D is down right pathetic. It's already clear that losing Pat has hurt us. Some may point out that the Vikes run D is ranked low, but who does big Pat have next to him? When you have to mammoths like Pat and Sam lined up next to each other, then you have an obstacle course.

YardRat
10-16-2005, 08:58 PM
I agree w/colin...back off a little bit with the blitz package, also. We seem to get burned a lot on run blitzes.

EDS
10-16-2005, 08:59 PM
The run D is down right pathetic. It's already clear that losing Pat has hurt us. Some may point out that the Vikes run D is ranked low, but who does big Pat have next to him? When you have to mammoths like Pat and Sam lined up next to each other, then you have an obstacle course.

I believe Pat has pro bowler Kevin Williams next to him.

Drive 4 Five
10-16-2005, 09:08 PM
Here's an idea!

Put Jason Peters in at Defensive Tackle!

:banned:

Kerr
10-16-2005, 09:14 PM
I believe Pat has pro bowler Kevin Williams next to him.

How's he playing this year? My point was that when you have to big guys like pat and sam, it makes it nearly impossible to run on our D.

colin
10-16-2005, 09:34 PM
we had 5 sacks and 2 picks, 30% passing and about 110 total passing yards against us.

we are too aggressive and we are small and fast to begin with.

we are playing sam adams stright up the field, but that means guards are free to get to the second levle, and our LBs and SS play 1 yard off the line, either we have our D line soak guys up and then make plays, or we need our backers to play a bit back and just control their gap.

we tend to either let up big runs or shut down runs dead.

we got run on against Tampa and Atlanta, since then we have only really been hurt by big giant runs ALWAYS up the middle.

we are fine, no need to try to get a turnover every play. i think they might improve against oakland tho.

NICE WIN, GO BILLS!!!!!

Sportsuser101
10-16-2005, 09:40 PM
And its not even a tackling problem. We just aren't in position to make a tackle. Sam played very well today but he was concentrating more on a pass rush then stopping the run. We blitz on the edge too much. We need to blitz up the middle because thats where we seem to get beat the most.

colin
10-16-2005, 10:06 PM
And its not even a tackling problem. We just aren't in position to make a tackle. Sam played very well today but he was concentrating more on a pass rush then stopping the run. We blitz on the edge too much. We need to blitz up the middle because thats where we seem to get beat the most.

yeah

we could also not blitz at all, or only rush 5 sometimes.

what we do with our ends is just rush them up feild all day. this causes trouble when sam goes up too, because we have 2-4 linemen who have a chance to take on our LBs, and then you get a guy to the second level.

i just want to see us EITHER go up with line OR put the LBs in a position to shoot the gap early, not both.

overall we still have a very strong D tho.

TigerJ
10-16-2005, 10:36 PM
Build a brick wall in the middle of the line? Seriously some of the other suggestions, sound well advised.

Sypher
10-16-2005, 10:38 PM
Put some nice sirloin steaks out on the QB, Then Adams will keep pass-rush constantly!! :P Just a thought

Spiderweb
10-16-2005, 11:52 PM
Playing Malloy up to help the last 2 games has not improved our run D. What else can they try? Unlike the last 2 games we are going to play some good QB's who don't throw INT's in the red zone. We have to start playing better run D to win those games

Maybe the Vikes might let us have Phat Pat back for a song.....