PDA

View Full Version : Current Draft Thoughts

TigerJ
10-17-2005, 11:18 AM
Yeah, I know it's early and all that, but where do you think Buffalo should look in the first round of the 2006 draft? I'm thinking DT right now. One draft site http://www.nflfans.com/draft/staticpages/index.php?page=20040421233639201 has three DTs rated as first rounders. I think Rodrique Wright will probably be gone by the time Buffalo picks, but other two seem pretty impressive. Gabe Watson is the smaller of the two with maybe less upside, but may have healthier knees. Haloti Ngata sounds like a monster, with Sam Adams size and Jason Peters speed. I wonder how bad his knees are. The fourth guy on their boards is Orien Harris, out of Miami. He's lighter than the others, but certainly could add 20-30 pounds by draft day. He's currently rated by NFL fans as a second rounder, but that could certainly change too by draft day.

Marvelous
10-17-2005, 11:33 AM
Kinda early to see what our biggest needs are. Maybe LG or LOLB if Posey isn't resigned...

Mr. Cynical
10-17-2005, 11:35 AM
May as well get ready to draft a QB. If KH wins this year, he's gonna start next year. JP will be 3 years into his contract and no further into his development. Best to dump him and start over at that point.

Captain Obvious
10-17-2005, 11:35 AM
I would say 80% of the mock drafts I have looked at, have the bills taking a LT with their 1st pick in 2006. I agree with you though, this teams probably needs to address the DT position in next years fraft more than any other position on the team

TacklingDummy
10-17-2005, 12:20 PM
Since KH took over for the Bills I believe we are no longer in the Matt Leniart sweepstakes.

So maybe the Bills can draft another WR. SInce its probably Moulds last year. If Moulds does stay then the Bills should draft a DT.

Devin
10-17-2005, 12:21 PM
At this rate DT should be a priority. We are getting butchered.

DraftBoy
10-17-2005, 12:22 PM
DE, DT, LT, CB, WR, QB, S, OLB

Thats how I would prioritize our needs...Assuming we dont lock up Nate long term.

finsrclowns
10-17-2005, 06:28 PM
May as well get ready to draft a QB. If KH wins this year, he's gonna start next year. JP will be 3 years into his contract and no further into his development. Best to dump him and start over at that point.

Maybe we should have kept JP in. That Leinart kid looks impressive.:laughing:

Mahdi
10-17-2005, 06:46 PM
I think we should go linebacker, maybe AJ Hawke(OSU), McIntosh(Miami, FL), or that guy out of Iowa whose name I forget. Or depending on how Kelsay does this year we can go DE, I like that kid out of Penn State, Tamba Hali.

Nic82
10-17-2005, 08:12 PM
Even if Nate and Eric leave, I would still address both sides of the line in the draft. I would find their replacements in Free-Agency. If we do franchise and trade Nate, it would be nice to get a first rounder, but I would be happy with an early 2nd. Regardless, I would draft a LT and a DT/DE with our first two picks.

MarvLevy
10-17-2005, 08:45 PM
I WOULD DRAFT...

OL
DT
CB
QB

IN THAT ORDER.....

Kenny
10-17-2005, 08:53 PM
unless we can land Ferguson (which I doubt, unless we get a top5 pick) I dont think we should go OL in the first round (not too sold on Winston).

If we lose Nate, I think we have to go CB in the first. If we somehow resign Nate, then we have to go DE or DT.

Jerry Ewert
10-18-2005, 12:03 AM
we need line. ol and dt. i don't want another de drafted early. i think the bills will sign nate. the depth at cb seems solid. so maybe a te. i didn't care for the everett pick.

clumping platelets
10-18-2005, 12:42 AM
I've seen Gabe watson play twice......I like this kid. He's listed at 6'4" 335lbs, so he's really 6'2.5" 310lbs but that's still a decent sized DT to put next to Sam Adams

clumping platelets
10-18-2005, 12:43 AM
I WOULD DRAFT...

OL
DT
CB
QB

IN THAT ORDER.....

You cannot draft using that strategy......you'll take the 5th best player at a position over the 2nd rated player at another position of need. Also, I doubt the Bills use a high pick on a QB

clumping platelets
10-18-2005, 12:46 AM
You also have to gauge the salary cap, age at any position, gains/losses in FA, etc

Sometimes, as in the case of McGahee, you gamble on greatness....

ParanoidAndroid
10-18-2005, 02:03 AM
Considering that Gandy seems to be holding his own, I think we should look at DT first and foremost.

Fletcher is aging and has had a handful of very intense seasons. MLB's probably decline the fastest of any player other than RB. Those high speed collisions will take their toll over the years. Fletch has been awesome for us but we need to prepare for his decline and the incresed possibility of injury.

Moulds is on his way out and it is clear that he is still our #1 receiver. However, I think we can hold off on getting a potential replacement via the draft for another year. Even if he does leave, the chance that we can address DT, LB, CB, DE, OL, and WR effectively are nil.

We need young talent and speed on defense more than anything else.

I like: (round 1)
Mario Williams DE, NC State
Mathias Kiwanuka, DE Penn State
Haloti Ngata DT, Oregon
Gabe Watson, DT Michigan
Jesse Mahelona, DT Tennessee
Rod Wright, DT, Texas
MaxJean-Gilles, OG Georgia
Ahmad Brooks, ILB Virginia

with all the DT prospects out there and teams switching to the 3-4, Mahelona just might fall deep into the second.

Tinboy
10-18-2005, 02:14 AM
My favorite round 1 picks:

Mathias Kiwanuka DE Boston College
Haloti Ngata DT Oregon
Chad Jackson WR Florida
Marcus McNeill OT Auburn
Jesse Mahelona DT Tennessee
Claude Wroten DT L.S.U.

I like to think that one of the following players are availble for our 2nd round pick:
Chad Jackson WR Florida
Santonio Holmes WR Ohio St.
Derek Hagan WR Arizona St.
Martin Nance WR Miami (OH)
Which means we got a potential starter after Moulds.

clumping platelets
10-18-2005, 02:36 AM
If Hagen is available in rd 2, grab him!

The King
10-18-2005, 07:08 AM
I dont think we need to draft a CB anything higher than a 3rd. Although my concern is that with so many injuries to DB's this year they will command more in FA. Which makes me think if we need to add a CB the draft might be the best place to do so.

Tinboy
10-18-2005, 07:36 AM
I dont think we need to draft a CB anything higher than a 3rd. Although my concern is that with so many injuries to DB's this year they will command more in FA. Which makes me think if we need to add a CB the draft might be the best place to do so.

Intresting point but which CBs are availble by then, here's the top 20:

1. Jimmy Williams Virginia Tech
2. Jason Allen Tennessee
3 Devin Hester Miami (FL)
4. Tye Hill Clemson
5. Kelly Jennings Miami (FL)
6. Will Blackmon Boston College
7. Alan Zemaitis Penn St.
8. Darrell Hunter Miami (OH)
9. Cedric Griffin Texas
10. Gerrick McPhearson Maryland
11. Justin Wyatt Southern Cal
12. DeMario Minter Georgia
13. Chijioke Onyenegecha Oklahoma
14. Harrison Smith California
15. Josh Lay Pittsburgh
16. Anwar Phillips Penn St.
17. Brett Bell Wisconsin
18. David Pittman Northwestern St.
19. Marcus King Missouri
20. Cletis Gordon Jackson St.

The King
10-18-2005, 07:41 AM
Blackmon for BC is nasty. Right now thats pretty much the only college ball I am watching so I dont know how much I can say. I would say we would be targeting a guy in the 3rd-4th round who is at least 6 feet tall.