PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else hear the warning alarms going off?

X-Era
10-17-2005, 11:38 AM
With Holcomb at the helm?

you should be.

14 points that kept the Jets in the game were directly from his Int's.

Again we showed a second half O slump.

Both the fins and Jets were FAR from power house teams. As I said many times now, Holcomb is not a superbowl caliper QB. Yesterday he started to show the type of stuff that will kill our hopes for this year. It was a disturbing thing to see, both those throws were horrendous. Is it a trend or just one bad game? I dont know.

I still want Holcomb as our starter fro one reason and one reason only that has ZERO to do with his level of talent. The rest of the teams actually shows up when he starts!

I will tell you what though, Holcomb isnt our SB QB, and he may turn out not to be even our playoff QB. Then what the hell was the point, I hope it doesnt go that way but 2 picks, for 2 TD's against the lowly Jets that kept them in the game is pretty damn disturbing. There was ONE reason to put Holcomb in, that was if starting him means we go to the playoffs. If it turns out we dont go, MM should be fired, and Eric should be cut. Would you be happy with yet another wasted season when Holcomb was supposed to be our answer?

Like I said, the team is winning and that is ALL that matters, but there is plenty to worry about and we have yet to play a tough team with Holcomb at the helm. Lets hope our decision pays off.

Jersey1031
10-17-2005, 11:40 AM

you should be.

Both the fins and Jets were FAR from power house teams. As I said many times now, Holcomb is not a superbowl caliper QB. Yesterday he started to show the type of stuff that will kill our hopes for this year. It was a disturbing thing to see, both those throws were horrendous. Is it a trend or just one bad game? I dont know.

I still want Holcomb as our starter fro one reason and one reason only that has ZERO to do with his level of talent. The rest of the teams actually shows up when he starts!

I will tell you what though, Holcomb isnt our SB QB, and he may turn out not to be even our playoff QB. Then what the hell was the point, I hope it doesnt go that way but 2 picks, for 2 TD's against the lowly Jets that kept them in the game is pretty damn disturbing. There was ONE reason to put Holcomb in, that was if starting him means we go to the playoffs. If it turns out we dont go, MM should be fired, and Eric should be cut. Would you be happy with yet another wasted season when Holcomb was supposed to be our answer?

Like I said, the team is winning and that is ALL that matters, but there is plenty to worry about and we have yet to play a tough team with Holcomb at the helm. Lets hope our decision pays off.

One of those td's was because our D let 1 of 2 40+ yd gains by martin, which let the jets continue to drive...those two big runs hurt...

Mr. Cynical
10-17-2005, 11:43 AM

Agreed, and I put the blame for this squarely on MM's shoulders. He should be able to motivate his players to play no matter who is at QB. More and more I think MM is not a very good coach. Wathing him on the sidelines I keep thinking he just needs a beer and a hot dog in his hands....he is almost like a spectator.

BAM
10-17-2005, 11:44 AM
You're right! Holcomb missed that ****ing tackle on C-Martian. He should've made that damn him!

Some of you guys are pathetic.. LOL.

ddaryl
10-17-2005, 11:47 AM
I just love how Bills fans rush to the message boards to point out all the players that suck, have problems, or need to be scrutinized.

We won, end of story.

Demon
You're right! Holcomb missed that ****ing tackle on C-Martian. He should've made that damn him!

Agreed.

How can anyone diss Holcomb is beyond me. Losman would never score on the first drive. And Losman would never get the big plays on 3rd downs, what was Losman's 3rd down %? I'm sure it's beyond awful.

Holcomb isn't the anwser for the future but he is good enough to take us to the playoffs, but it is a team sport. Sure he made mistakes last game, but theres more reasons to him starting then just "players actually show up" when he plays BS.

Mr. Cynical
You're right! Holcomb missed that ****ing tackle on C-Martian.

I didn't realize the Jets had an alien playing for them. :funny:

McGahee420
10-17-2005, 11:49 AM
I just love how Bills fans rush to the message boards to point out all the players that suck, have problems, or need to be scrutinized.

We won, end of story.

Seriously, a Win is a Win. Holcomb may of had two INTs, but he responded right after with scoring drives. I guess that doesnt matter though.

LtBillsFan66
10-17-2005, 11:51 AM
Gotta take the good with the bad, the bad with the good. He made a lot of good throws that JP can't make right now.

X-Era
10-17-2005, 11:52 AM

It is a WELL known fact that turnovers equal losses. Thats all Im saying. You simply cant afford to make bad throws like that that become int's and expect to win.

BAM
10-17-2005, 11:54 AM
Agreed.

How can anyone diss Holcomb is beyond me. Losman would never score on the first drive. And Losman would never get the big plays on 3rd downs, what was Losman's 3rd down %? I'm sure it's beyond awful.

Holcomb isn't the anwser for the future but he is good enough to take us to the playoffs, but it is a team sport. Sure he made mistakes last game, but theres more reasons to him starting then just "players actually show up" when he plays BS.

http://www.brzaspot.com/MISC/holcomb.jpg

X-Era
10-17-2005, 11:54 AM
uote=McGahee420]Seriously, a Win is a Win. Holcomb may of had two INTs, but he responded right after with scoring drives. I guess that doesnt matter though.[/quote]

Your 300% right and as I said, Holcomb should continue to start.

But based on those 2 very bad throws against the clowny Jets, I wouldnt put the short leash on him yet, but I would have it in my hand and ready to go.

Jersey1031
10-17-2005, 11:56 AM
Seriously, a Win is a Win. Holcomb may of had two INTs, but he responded right after with scoring drives. I guess that doesnt matter though.

Delhome threw 3 picks, 2 directly for tds, but they won!! no big deal, a wins a win, thats what his job is. To get us a win...

Demon
10-17-2005, 11:58 AM
uote=McGahee420]Seriously, a Win is a Win. Holcomb may of had two INTs, but he responded right after with scoring drives. I guess that doesnt matter though.

Your 300% right and as I said, Holcomb should continue to start.

But based on those 2 very bad throws against the clowny Jets, I wouldnt put the short leash on him yet, but I would have it in my hand and ready to go.

Then WTF are you saying..... bring in Shane Matthews? Bring back Travis Brown?

Dude Holcomb is the best we got and everyone (almost) in that stadium believes every Sunday we can win, Holcomb gives us a chance to win, because he won't make mistakes, he will make some key passes and will let us stay in every game and if the defense does what they can do, we can win. With Losman, you're just paying tons of money to look at a guy who is just developing with no hopes of winning.

And like you said, what if we miss the playoffs, then what kind of waste would this be?

I guess it's true, but what if we start Losman all this season and all next season and he turns into a bust? Have fun explaining to your 45,000 season ticket holders that we have atleast 3 more years to re-build before thinking about the playoffs.

Take a deep breath man and realize, Holcomb or Losman, their still wearing a Bills jersey.

Forward_Lateral
10-17-2005, 12:11 PM
What a ridiculous thread. The D gave up 17 points, one of which the Jets started on the ONE YARD LINE. The offense came up with big scoring drives to answer the Jets at both the end of the second half, and after the Jets cut the deficit to 24-17. They also had a nice 83 yard drive for a TD after McGee picked off a Vinny pass at the 17 yard line. I thought the Bills dominated this game from the line of scrimmage on, and except for 2 long Martin rushing plays, the D dominated as well. Over-pursuit is something that can be fixed, so don't worry too much. Enjoy a win for crying out loud.

DaBills
10-17-2005, 12:12 PM
I agree with a lot of the original post, but the D let the Jets ( like in previous games, back into the game). I said earlier and I'll say again, right now, we're a really good 2-quarter team. When we start playing 60 minutes of complete football, then watch out.

As much as I disagree with the switching of JP, give KH cred for hitting crucial slants and med-range passes to sustain drives. In those situations I've seen JP choose to go deep and roll the dice.

As long as KH plays within himself, we may just have our own version of Dilfer. But the key thing to remember is that Dilfer had a killer D in Baltimore supporting him. Ray Lewis basically said to the O, give us 10 points and will win the game for you.

Right now, our D is making our O have to score 4 TDs a game.

DaBills
10-17-2005, 12:23 PM
except for 2 long Martin rushing plays, the D dominated as well. Over-pursuit is something that can be fixed, so don't worry too much. Enjoy a win for crying out loud.

I'm definitely enjoying it considering I work with a Jets fan, heh heh. But whether it's just a few runs for long gains or 25 carries at 5 ypc, it's still a problem for this D. That much running allows opponents to sustain drives, and the D is using basically the same tactics from last year.

I don't think Gray think's there's a problem quite frankly. We have Corey Dillon 2x and R. Williams coming up not to mention a rematch with C-my-favorite-Martian again. As much as it sucks to say, I'm already penciling in career numbers for those guys.

ublinkwescore
10-17-2005, 01:24 PM

you should be.

Both the fins and Jets were FAR from power house teams. As I said many times now, Holcomb is not a superbowl caliper QB.

I will tell you what though, Holcomb isnt our SB QB,

How many times do you feel it necessary to say that - of course he's not a superbowl caliber QB - he'd have to earn a superbowl appearance to be considered that, but you can't argue that he's not taking the first step - I know it's been said on here a 100 times, but once again, why can't people just shut up and enjoy the win - he's obviously the best we've got on the roster at his position, we're winning, we should be happy.

finsrclowns
10-17-2005, 01:36 PM

you should be.

Hmmm...someone calling themselves "JP-era" has a warning about Holcomb. Where's my salt shaker?:funny:

justasportsfan
10-17-2005, 01:45 PM
why does the alarm have a weird sound " whiner! Whiner!whiner!" :idunno:

X-Era
10-17-2005, 01:51 PM
How many times do you feel it necessary to say that - of course he's not a superbowl caliber QB - he'd have to earn a superbowl appearance to be considered that, but you can't argue that he's not taking the first step - I know it's been said on here a 100 times, but once again, why can't people just shut up and enjoy the win - he's obviously the best we've got on the roster at his position, we're winning, we should be happy.

And thats the point, enjoy it for now. I know I am.

The responses here are about what we would have seen right before blowing the game against Pitt lats year against the damn 3rd stringers.

If that sort of thing happens where will you all be? Right about where I am now. Only right now is when you can do something about next year, right now is when you can do something to change the fortunes of this team.

If you all want to just enjoy the ride and then endlessly complain after we DONT win a SB this year and maybe arent even in the playoffs, fine, I cant disagree with that.

Im glad we are winning I hope it continues, but we all should realize it will mostly likely end and what then? The goal was NEVER to simply win afew games.

The goal was to win a SB. Thats what I want. Am I happy with another win? yes, am I happy with going to the playoffs if we do, yes. But it may have cost us yet another year before a SB win. To me that unacceptable.
I want THAT path to start NOW, not next year.

I have no anger, I am not frustrated, and I wont be regardless of what happens. I do believe that we have pushed a SB win even farther away at this point. But we are winning and we are beating our own damn division opponents. I love that.

My only point is, dont hesitate to go back to preparing for our future if we blow our shot at our present. Thats it. One more comment is only for us to be willing to make a move if we arent getting anything more out of Holcomb than we could with Losman.

Dont make it into anything more than it is. I love the win, Go Bills, and I want even more. Holcomb is playing well now, but has shown some mistakes that could turn costly. Its just the facts men, nothing else. Lets all relax and enjoy it, I am.

Jeff1220
10-17-2005, 01:56 PM
Agreed.
Losman would never score on the first drive.

This is completely untrue. He scored on the first drive vs. NO and , I think, vs the Texans. So, it should read like this...

Losman would never score on the first drive of the second half.

I'm happy with the win and satisfied w/Holcomb. In many ways, I wish Losman could be in there getting reps, but wins are more important as long as they keep coming.

One of the main knocks on Kelly (who my wife has dubbed "the girl") is his durability. I could see this scenario playing out: If history is a guide, Holcomb will get knocked out of a game(s) a some point. JP can come in with little pressure, now that he is not the starter, and hopefully show that he's got it. Until that inevitable (or so it seems) conclusion, keep the wins coming Kelly!

X-Era
10-17-2005, 03:02 PM
This is completely untrue. He scored on the first drive vs. NO and , I think, vs the Texans. So, it should read like this...

I'm happy with the win and satisfied w/Holcomb. In many ways, I wish Losman could be in there getting reps, but wins are more important as long as they keep coming.

One of the main knocks on Kelly (who my wife has dubbed "the girl") is his durability. I could see this scenario playing out: If history is a guide, Holcomb will get knocked out of a game(s) a some point. JP can come in with little pressure, now that he is not the starter, and hopefully show that he's got it. Until that inevitable (or so it seems) conclusion, keep the wins coming Kelly!

Thats it exactly, adding JP's legs was a two fold proposition. 1) he can scramble and buy us yards when no one os open or when the pass rush is in his face. 2) He can avoid sacks which would also minimize risk of injury assuning most QB injuries come when getting sacked.

I do think Holcomb will get injured. He isnt as tough as Drew was yet has the same lack of mobility. Thats a recipe for injury. Yeah, if JP comes and takes advantage of the situation, Holcomb may lose his job for good. I dont know if it happens at all though, and I would never hope for any player to get injured.

Forward_Lateral
10-17-2005, 03:11 PM
JP has Flutieitis. Because he's fast, and can scramble, he often pulls the ball down too early, instead of sliding in the pocket like Holcomb does. JP needs to learn to be a pocket QB. Scrambling is a nice asset, but doing it every time there is even a hint of pressure is not an effective way to be an NFL QB.

LtBillsFan66
10-17-2005, 03:17 PM
JP has Flutieitis. Because he's fast, and can scramble, he often pulls the ball down too early, instead of sliding in the pocket like Holcomb does. JP needs to learn to be a pocket QB. Scrambling is a nice asset, but doing it every time there is even a hint of pressure is not an effective way to be an NFL QB.
Agreed.

Iehoshua
10-17-2005, 03:20 PM
We still have yet to see a scrambler lead his team to a Superbowl victory so it's hard not to endorse becoming a pure pocket guy.

justasportsfan
10-17-2005, 03:26 PM
We still have yet to see a scrambler lead his team to a Superbowl victory so it's hard not to endorse becoming a pure pocket guy.I'd be happy if JP turns out to be a Steve Young.

Billzz
10-17-2005, 03:28 PM
Only alarm I heard was the one that said "THANK GOD MADDOX IS NOT OUR BACK UP QB." Holy cow that guy stunk it up, for a minute I thought he might be related to Drew.

Talk about a guy getting his arse roasted go read a Pittsburg message board rofl.

Buffatexas
10-17-2005, 04:03 PM
Can anyone find any Raider threads when they signed forever journey man Rich Gannon saying that a perennial back up cant lead us to the big dance?...I am not saying that Holcomb is the guy to pull this off but, Holcomb has been in the league for what 10 years?...we dont know what he can do with the weapons we have and he has only had 2 games to show us. As a Bills fan, I want wins and I don't really care how we get them or who is at qb when we do win.

Dozerdog
10-17-2005, 04:06 PM

you should be.

I'll take yesaterday's performance over back to back 75 yard efforts any day.

2-0 baby!

DynaPaul
10-17-2005, 04:08 PM
This thread is :gay: . Holcomb is the starter until J.P. is ready to run the show. (For real this time.) I support both guys but I realize that J.P. is going to need a little more time.

LtBillsFan66
10-17-2005, 04:30 PM
I'll take yesaterday's performance over back to back 75 yard efforts any day.

2-0 baby!
Me too.

The_Philster
10-17-2005, 06:07 PM
I'd be happy if JP turns out to be a Steve Young.
or Brett Favre, John Elway...all QBs with a lot of mobility AND Super Bowl rings

Tasker
10-17-2005, 06:26 PM
I'd be happy if JP turns out to be a Steve Young.

I hope your right, and that means he plays for San Francisco.

The conversation here is about Holcomb is good but not Superbowl material for our club?

take a look at the extremely mediocre QB's that have made it to the big game the past 5 years, Holcomb is as good as anything the Ravens, Panthers, or the Bucs put on the field.

And your comments about Holcomb and INT's tell me that you are under 25 years old, and dont really know much about wacthing Jim Kelly every week.

Like Holcomb he broke alot of eggs to make his Omelete.

I think even the semi great Kelly would say the major difference between him and Holcombs play is mainly we dont have an amazing all pro OLine any more.

Im not comparing them, but Holcomb throws INTs just like Kelly often did, and Holcomb is better than any Panther, Raven, NY giants, or Tampa QB that started a recent superbowl.

Losman 1-3
Holcomb 2-0

No other fact matters till it changes.

kinigirly
10-17-2005, 06:46 PM
Most people know how I feel about the QB situation, so I won't rehash that. As I see it, 2 people won this game for us....McGahee and Testaverde. Vinny pretty much handed us the game on a silver platter, he was horrendous. McGahee moved the ball down the field the entire game for us consistently. As for Holcomb, I honestly felt like he had a lukewarm performance as quarterback.
I have to agree with JP-Era in that it seems like the players actually put forth effort with Kelly in as opposed to JP and this is sad, very sad. However here is my point..we moved the ball because we handed it off the McGahee for most of the game. If that is the plan, I don't see why JP can't share some of this QB time. Yes his long throws are still immature but sure as hell can hand the ball off. The media buzz is MM is giving them the nod that Kelly is the new starting QB for the team. Fine, use it as long as it works. But JP should still be getting in some kind of time each game to work on his game. Playing during practice does not count. You have to get your ass kicked every week to become a better player. That is all.

Nic82
10-17-2005, 07:26 PM

you should be.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=header1 colSpan=14></TD></TR><TR><TD class=header3 colSpan=2></TD><TD class=header3 align=middle colSpan=3></TD><TD class=header3 align=middle colSpan=3></TD><TD class=header3 colSpan=6></TD></TR><TR><TD class=header3 align=left></TD><TD class=header3 align=right></TD><TD class=header3 align=right></TD><TD class=header3 align=right></TD><TD class=header3 align=right></TD><TD class=header3 align=right></TD><TD class=header3 align=right></TD><TD class=header3 align=right></TD><TD class=header3 align=right></TD><TD class=header3 align=right></TD><TD class=header3 align=right></TD><TD class=header3 align=right></TD><TD class=header3 align=right></TD><TD class=header3 align=right></TD></TR><TR><TD class=altRow1 align=left><NOBR></NOBR></TD><TD class=altRow1 align=right></TD><TD class=altRow1 align=right></TD><TD class=altRow1 align=right></TD><TD class=altRow1 align=right></TD><TD class=nflsortcolumn align=right></TD><TD class=altRow1 align=right></TD><TD class=altRow1 align=right></TD><TD class=altRow1 align=right></TD><TD class=altRow1 align=right></TD><TD class=altRow1 align=right></TD><TD class=altRow1 align=right></TD><TD class=altRow1 align=right></TD><TD class=altRow1 align=right></TD></TR><TR><TD class=altRow2 align=left><NOBR></NOBR></TD><TD class=altRow2 align=right></TD><TD class=altRow2 align=right></TD><TD class=altRow2 align=right></TD><TD class=altRow2 align=right></TD><TD class=nflsortcolumn align=right></TD><TD class=altRow2 align=right></TD><TD class=altRow2 align=right></TD><TD class=altRow2 align=right></TD><TD class=altRow2 align=right></TD><TD class=altRow2 align=right></TD><TD class=altRow2 align=right></TD><TD class=altRow2 align=right></TD><TD class=altRow2 align=right></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

How many JP lover post are you going to make? Yes, JP is our future, but he is not ready to play at the NFL level today. And yes, many quarterbacks become the starter in their 2nd season, but that is not a rule. JP will start when he is ready and if that's in five years, so be it. Saying Kelly Holcomb can not win the Bills a Super Bowl so why start him is stupid. Teams don't need great quarterbacks to win Super Bowls. Are Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson great quarterbacks? Are all the quarterbacks that beat the Bills in Super Bowls Hall of Fame quarterbacks? Mr. JP Lover we really don't know if Kelly Holcomb can lead us to the Super Bowl, but we do know he gives us the best chance this year. Just look at the stats.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=header1 colSpan=14></TD></TR><TR><TD class=header3 colSpan=2></TD><TD class=header3 align=middle colSpan=3></TD><TD class=header3 align=middle colSpan=3></TD><TD class=header3 colSpan=6></TD></TR><TR><TD class=header3 align=left>Player</TD><TD class=header3 align=right>G</TD><TD class=header3 align=right>Att</TD><TD class=header3 align=right>Cmp</TD><TD class=header3 align=right>Pct</TD><TD class=header3 align=right>Tot</TD><TD class=header3 align=right>/Att</TD><TD class=header3 align=right>/G</TD><TD class=header3 align=right>TD</TD><TD class=header3 align=right>TD%</TD><TD class=header3 align=right>Int</TD><TD class=header3 align=right>Int%</TD><TD class=header3 align=right>Sack</TD><TD class=header3 align=right>Rat</TD></TR><TR><TD class=altRow1 align=left><NOBR>J.P. Losman</NOBR></TD><TD class=altRow1 align=right>4</TD><TD class=altRow1 align=right>94</TD><TD class=altRow1 align=right>45</TD><TD class=altRow1 align=right>47.9</TD><TD class=nflsortcolumn align=right>433</TD><TD class=altRow1 align=right>4.6</TD><TD class=altRow1 align=right>108.3</TD><TD class=altRow1 align=right>1</TD><TD class=altRow1 align=right>1.1</TD><TD class=altRow1 align=right>2</TD><TD class=altRow1 align=right>2.1</TD><TD class=altRow1 align=right>10</TD><TD class=altRow1 align=right>55.9</TD></TR><TR><TD class=altRow2 align=left><NOBR>Kelly Holcomb</NOBR></TD><TD class=altRow2 align=right>4</TD><TD class=altRow2 align=right>61</TD><TD class=altRow2 align=right>43</TD><TD class=altRow2 align=right>70.5</TD><TD class=nflsortcolumn align=right>368</TD><TD class=altRow2 align=right>6.0</TD><TD class=altRow2 align=right>92.0</TD><TD class=altRow2 align=right>3</TD><TD class=altRow2 align=right>4.9</TD><TD class=altRow2 align=right>2</TD><TD class=altRow2 align=right>3.3</TD><TD class=altRow2 align=right>5</TD><TD class=altRow2 align=right>88.7</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

JP's time will come, but it's not the end of the world if that time is not this year.

TacklingDummy
10-17-2005, 08:02 PM
JP reminds of Rob Johnson. He too made the o-line look worse then it really is.

With JP/RJ the o-line was the main excuse for their horrible play.

And then KH/DF come in with the same o-line if not worse of a o-line and the o-line looks 100% better.

buffalofan19
10-17-2005, 08:23 PM
This interception thing is blown out of proportion a little too much. Yes, they are costly, and yes, I can do without them, but think about it this way. Both interceptions were the result of Holcomb trying to make a play. The deep one was on third down anyway, so it really was no different than a punt that pinned the Jets inside the 20. The second sucked, no doubt, but there is not one QB, not even the greatest one (and I'm not going to give any names), that hasn't made a "bone-headed" play like that. Losman has fewer INT's because he doesn't throw the ball as much. He either tucks the ball and runs or throws it way out of the reach of anybody, offense or defense (i.e. out of bounds). I hate to say it, but Rob Johnson was the same way (his INT count was very low also). I am not saying that Losman is a bust or another Rob, but if you don't try to make the plays with your arm, nothing is going to happen, good or bad. Holcomb had two INT's, but he also had 2 TD's as well. He made some very good plays along with the bad, and that's good enough for me.

Meathead
10-18-2005, 12:45 AM
i got your warning alarm right here