PDA

View Full Version : Our linebacker core next year

Kerr
10-17-2005, 02:16 PM
With the encouraging play the team is getting from Crow, do you think he'll end up starting next year with Spikes moving over to his old position, middle linebacker? This leaves London Fletcher the odd man out. Fletch has been a solid player for us, but what will become of him? I hear he could be a cap cut. What about Posey? He hasn't been played up to expectations considering he was signed from the Texans to rush the passer. He's proven he's a better fit for the 3-4 defense. Does Posey get axed? Could we be looking at a Fletcher, Spikes and Crowell starting lineup next year??

Feedback.

AndreReed83
10-17-2005, 02:20 PM
I hope Fletcher stays and isn't cut. He came to this team when we were really bad. I think we should show him some loyalty. Plus, he's a great player.

Crisis
10-17-2005, 02:22 PM
Fletch stays.

I wouldn't mind seeing Posey leave, he seems to be the weakest link of the core right now.

This all depends on Spikes coming back 100% next year, but I see it as- Crowell, Fletcher, Spikes.

The King
10-17-2005, 02:31 PM
Are you out of your mind???

Brian Simmons played inside linebacker in Cincy because TKO was so dominant weak side. Not too mention we have one of the best ILB-OLB combos in the NFL if not the best. Flecther is a force, and has not shown any drop off in talent.

Fletch and TKO compliment each other perfectly, we need to keep them together until its no longer an option.

Jersey1031
10-17-2005, 02:35 PM
Fletch and TKO compliment each other perfectly, we need to keep them together until its no longer an option.

Truu that...

justasportsfan
10-17-2005, 02:40 PM
Don't change a thing. There are other areas on the team that need attention and the lb's isn't one of them. Crowell had 1 great game and we're already thinking of starting him? Cmon.

pintonick96
10-17-2005, 04:44 PM
Crowell is a FA next year. We'll probably let him go because he'll want alot of $$$.

JefftheBillsfan
10-17-2005, 05:18 PM
i still say posey is a lot better than everyone makes him out to be.

hydro014
10-17-2005, 06:07 PM
I know it won't happen, but since Lavar Arrington is most likely going to be cut at the end of the year. How great would that be Fletcher-Spike-Arrington. I know it's not going happen and i know that we couldn't even afford him but i just think it would be sweet. :drool2:

The_Philster
10-17-2005, 07:34 PM
you're not alone in that...he was playing some good coverage yesterday

clumping platelets
10-17-2005, 10:30 PM
Problem 1 is that we don't know how TKO's recovery will go. Crowell will be a RFA and minimum tender yields a 3rd rd pick. He could be signed to an offer sheet. He played pretty well Sunday (INT and a sack).

Problem 2 is that we really have no one on the roster who effectively replace Posey. He's a Sam OLB. Yes, he's been invisible since TKO's injury, but at this point, we should keep the LB'ing crew intact and only add to it with the best LB draft in many years.

Ancillary: I suspect Fletcher will sign a modest extension to create some 2006 cap space

G. Host
10-17-2005, 10:42 PM
Posey was not invisible in Jets game. He covered players and rushed the passer. Did a damn good job.

clumping platelets
10-17-2005, 10:46 PM
He was under my radar.....I really didn't notice him

Mahdi
10-17-2005, 11:33 PM
I agree he's definitely underrated. Posey's strength and his value to this defense is in his versatility. He can play in space against TE's play the run and rush the passer which is key in B-lo's defense. If we get rid of Posey it would have to be for a similar player.

G. Host
10-17-2005, 11:54 PM
Not only that he sometimes goes one on one occupying a RT allowing another player free. Very few LBs do that.

mchurchfie
10-18-2005, 01:29 AM
If our LB core is so great then why are we last in stopping the run and why do we let everyone convert on 3rd down...no matter how long it is??:huh:

Tinboy
10-18-2005, 02:31 AM
Posey is one of our most underrated players, it's thanks to him Fletch and TKO can make the plays that they do.

The King
10-18-2005, 06:40 AM
If our LB core is so great then why are we last in stopping the run and why do we let everyone convert on 3rd down...no matter how long it is??:huh:

My thought is because they were on the field so damn much! Now its tough to judge because we have a few backups and situational players coming in on 3rd down. But early in the season, the offense was not doing them any favors.

mysticsoto
10-18-2005, 10:07 AM

B'cse we are not stopping the run at the line of scrimmage like we used to. With Big Pat and Sam in the middle, RBs had to run to the outside if they wanted to get yards. Not all RBs run well outside - some are strictly between the tackles type runners.. In the time it takes them to get to the outside, our fast LBs would already be there to stop the run. Now, however, we get gaps in our front line that between the tackle runners can take advantage of. If we just happen to be blitzing from another side, there may be a gap which allows them to get a long run. Crowell has played well, but he is not TKO. Sometimes, a FB will occupy him. TKO could easily shed blockers.

But without Pat, our front line is not impervious as it was last year. Tim Anderson may yet develop into a better run stuffer so I'm not ready to give up on him. He's just starting for the 1st time, so I'm willing to give him some time to learn...

mchurchfie
10-18-2005, 10:56 AM
My thought is because they were on the field so damn much! Now its tough to judge because we have a few backups and situational players coming in on 3rd down. But early in the season, the offense was not doing them any favors.What about now? We held the ball for 38 minutes against the Jets and we still got burned for a couple of long gainers and they also beat us on some third and very long conversions.

B'cse we are not stopping the run at the line of scrimmage like we used to. With Big Pat and Sam in the middle, RBs had to run to the outside if they wanted to get yards. Not all RBs run well outside - some are strictly between the tackles type runners.. In the time it takes them to get to the outside, our fast LBs would already be there to stop the run. Now, however, we get gaps in our front line that between the tackle runners can take advantage of. If we just happen to be blitzing from another side, there may be a gap which allows them to get a long run. Crowell has played well, but he is not TKO. Sometimes, a FB will occupy him. TKO could easily shed blockers.
...Most of the time we get beat on runs has been from them bouncing it outside on us on the cutbacks. Our LBs don't read the play good enough and get swallowed up at the line of scrimmage along with our undersized, over aggressive DEs.