PDA

View Full Version : Can the Bills step up a notch?

ghz in pittsburgh
10-18-2005, 07:58 AM
The Jets game is the first game that I feel that the Bills played up to their potential this year. Belicheck said in an interview that you really don't know what kind of team you have until the 6th to 8th game of a season. And we are right about at that mark.

Unfortunately in my view, the team as it is is not good enough for the playoff. The offense still makes too many mistakes and the defense is obviously not as good as we all thought, certainly far from the level they displayed last year.

There is hope.

This Bills team have players who have room to improve this year.

Crowell is improving every game since he started for the injured TKO. Tim Anderson, another player that I see playing better in the Jets game than the Miami game. Both he and Crowell are less than a hand full of game into starting and playing extensively. Logically they should be prime candidates to improve the most in the next 10 games. If they do continue on that path, it would help a great deal for the Bills defense.

On offense you gotta pray that the O-Line saty heathy the rest of the way. I don't expect Mcgahee/Moulds/Evans/Parrish/Campbell to do much better than they are with Holcomb. The one person who might improve a bit is Holcomb himself. This is first time he's in Mularkay's offense so there is a feeling out period between the coaching staff and him as well. I think we are in that time frame. He could getting more comfortable with the system and the coaching could call plays that play more into his strength.

Lastly let me mention that we should all appreciate the long balls Bledsoe threw for us the last 3 years. If you don't think it's an art, look what Holcomb and Losman did with long balls, compared to Bledsoe's. I will say this: Holcomb has a better touch of short throws and better feel of the pocket than Bledsoe from what I've seen so far. And that is probably a better fit for Mularkay's offense.

Pride
10-18-2005, 08:11 AM
Just remember... think of this game as Kelly Holcombs second game... he keeps improving every week... as long as he keeps improving we will be ok. Will we sweep the pats? No... but I bet we come close to winning here at the Ralph..

The fact is... I will be happy if we beat every team we are supposed to beat and every team that we have a chance to beat... I will not be upset if we lose to the top 10 of the leage (falcons, bucs, patriots, colts, broncos, etc)

Our hope is for a wildcard... and the longer that that hope exists... the happier I am!

ghz in pittsburgh
10-18-2005, 08:24 AM
The Holcomb book is an open book. We know he can throw short to medium passes very well; we know he has a pocket awareness; we know he can read defenses. But we also know he does not have a strong arm; he will throw some ill advised INTs - I actully was waiting for that to happen after seeing him some at Cleveland.

I expect him to improve in the sense of getting familarity with the offense, players and such. I don't think he will improve every week. As a long time veteran, I expect him to top out after 5 - 6 games in that regard.