PDA

View Full Version : Another big fat inactive day for the Bills!

X-Era
10-18-2005, 02:01 PM
Here we are again at another important date and are resting on our laurels.

Why make a trade for a DT to improve a Run D that allowed Curtis to rip off 2 50 yarders?

Why make a trade for a OG when you continue to rack up penalties with Anderson and continue to act like turnstyles with a statue of a starting QB?

If we skipped on Kearse, Hovan, Corey Simon, Damien Woody, LJ Shelton, Marco Rivera, Joe Andruzzi, Mike Wahle, Cosey Coleman, and resigning Pat Williams, why would you want to do anything to boost a sub par rush D that is starting a 3rd stringer really at this point?

Apparently we have fooled ourselves into believing that 2 wins against the lowly Fins and Jets and a win against the leagues worst in Houston means we are all set as far as our roster goes.

After all, we supposedly believe in the guys we have.

Sometimes I just dont understand this squad. Why not convert that extra 3rd rounder we got for Henry into someone who can help us step up even more NOW rather than use it on a draftee that wont do jack squat for years to come.

With everything to gain, our division by the nuts, and an honest look at ourselves as being beatable, we do nothing?

I certainly got excited about TD when he landed us Milloy, Vincent, McGahee, Losman, Evans, Fletcher, and TKO. But as far as FA go, what has he done for us lately? The NFL operates that way, why cant the fans? What has TD done for us as far as a big time FA in the past 2 years?

Well today, and really all the days leading up to today was another chance blown.

justasportsfan
10-18-2005, 02:06 PM
It's easy for fans to look for a trade. Who is out there that is available that in you opinion that could be had and please include trade prices ?

Demon
10-18-2005, 02:08 PM
You can honestly say, you woke up today, thinking the Bills would make a deadline trade?

This isn't the NHL or the MLB, Deadline day is just a date.... you'll never see massive deals in the NFL. Never have been and never will.

OpIv37
10-18-2005, 02:13 PM
yeah- while it would have been nice to see a trade to fill a hole or two, it's just not the norm in the NFL. Trades are difficult because:

A) we need to have something another team wants
B) another team needs to have something we want
C) Both teams must have the cap space (or the ability to make it) to accommodate the trade
D) the other team involved can't be a division opponent or someone that may be competing with us for a wild card, because if that's the case neither team will want to help each other.

The chances of those things happening are very remote, which is why you see very few in-season trades in the NFL. I'm not at all surprised that nothing major has happened yet.

X-Era
10-18-2005, 02:20 PM
You can honestly say, you woke up today, thinking the Bills would make a deadline trade?

This isn't the NHL or the MLB, Deadline day is just a date.... you'll never see massive deals in the NFL. Never have been and never will.

Huh???

Randy Moss traded
Portis for Bailey
Ricky Williams for an entire draft

Right now you have Lavarr Arrington status uncertain
Jamie Winborn available for trade
Damione Lewis a backup in STL

Would you take Lavarr or Damione for that Henry 3rd rounder?

mysticsoto
10-18-2005, 02:21 PM
Sometimes I just dont understand this squad. Why not convert that extra 3rd rounder we got for Henry into someone who can help us step up even more NOW rather than use it on a draftee that wont do jack squat for years to come.

With everything to gain, our division by the nuts, and an honest look at ourselves as being beatable, we do nothing?

I certainly got excited about TD when he landed us Milloy, Vincent, McGahee, Losman, Evans, Fletcher, and TKO. But as far as FA go, what has he done for us lately? The NFL operates that way, why cant the fans? What has TD done for us as far as a big time FA in the past 2 years?

Well today, and really all the days leading up to today was another chance blown.

Ummm...TD got us Holcomb this past year!!!

You seem to assume that just b'cse we may want someone or need someone doesn't mean another team is willing to part with them. With all the injuries going on in this league, few people want to part with their capable backups. The same argument you use can be used on the other side. Why would a team with a capable backup want to trade for a 3rd rounder or for someone who won't do squat for years to come? They want insurance now - just like you do! It works both ways...

SquishDaFish
10-18-2005, 02:33 PM
Trades dont happen during season PERIOD! Get over it all JP and just root for what we have and be happy. OR ELSE GO SOMEWHERE ELSE!

Demon
10-18-2005, 02:51 PM
Huh???

Randy Moss traded
Portis for Bailey
Ricky Williams for an entire draft

WOW you just named me like 3 trades in the last like what 8 years??? LOL

And all were off-season moves. Stop being such a hater man. Appriciate what we have more and stop thinking this is a Bills team in your Madden 2006.

Mudflap1
10-18-2005, 02:59 PM
Are you the actual J.P. Losman? Mama? I'm serious.
<br>
You seem like a nice guy, but why do you hate Holcomb so much? The guys is a very likeable person who has won two games when given the chance to play. Not once has he mocked anybody, not once has anybody said that he's the long term answer or the next Jim Kelly, and he has the team playing behind him. What's not to like? Losman will get his chance to be the future, but he has to earn it.

X-Era
10-18-2005, 03:37 PM
Are you the actual J.P. Losman? Mama? I'm serious.

You seem like a nice guy, but why do you hate Holcomb so much? The guys is a very likeable person who has won two games when given the chance to play. Not once has he mocked anybody, not once has anybody said that he's the long term answer or the next Jim Kelly, and he has the team playing behind him. What's not to like? Losman will get his chance to be the future, but he has to earn it.

This post had zero to do with the QB situation.

X-Era
10-18-2005, 03:40 PM
Trades dont happen during season PERIOD! Get over it all JP and just root for what we have and be happy. OR ELSE GO SOMEWHERE ELSE!

I aint going anywhere else.

I will be right here thanx.

I am very happy with where we are at right now. But Im not willing to put the rose colored glasses and live on cloud nine.

Today is trade deadline day, I believe we have holes, and I see that we didnt do anything today. For a team that supposed to be in contention for the playoffs, I have a right to gripe about that. Dont like it, dont read.

SquishDaFish
10-18-2005, 04:42 PM
We have needs yes so does every other team. It takes 2 to tango to make a trade. Its not as easy as baseball. How do you know if Buffalo didnt attempt to do something? You have inside sources or do you have ability to read minds?

X-Era
10-18-2005, 05:40 PM
We have needs yes so does every other team. It takes 2 to tango to make a trade. Its not as easy as baseball. How do you know if Buffalo didnt attempt to do something? You have inside sources or do you have ability to read minds?

I really hope all your sarcasm isnt to try to convince us your smart.

if so, Your mouth is writing checks your posts cant cash

BAM
10-18-2005, 05:49 PM
We should've signed this guy:

http://www.buffalobills.com/uploads/backers_photos/gallery/BC45BAC1E59F4196953E708A3F031A89.jpg

Mudflap1
10-18-2005, 05:52 PM
This post had zero to do with the QB situation.

statue of a starting QB?

Apparently we have fooled ourselves into believing that 2 wins against the lowly Fins and Jets and a win against the leagues worst in Houston means we are all set as far as our roster goes.

EVERYTHING that you post has something to do with the QB situation. Holcomb, while no speedster, has pretty good pocket mobility in my opinion. Don't worry about J.P. the next couple of weeks, he'll have some valuable experience passing H2O cups to his teammates on the sidelines.

In terms of the level of competition, the Jets beat Tampa Bay the week before (who smoked us), and the Dolphins were 2-1, and beat Carolina and Denver. This is the NFL, the talent level of the teams from top to bottom is a lot closer than most people realize.

There is nobody out there that would have dramatically improved our team, with the exception of Arrington. Donahoe is no superstar, he never makes big mid-season moves (as most other teams also do not). I don't want to go into another Donahoe-bash thread right now, the facts are the facts, he needs to go this season.

Jon

X-Era
10-18-2005, 05:52 PM

http://www.buffalobills.com/uploads/backers_photos/gallery/BC45BAC1E59F4196953E708A3F031A89.jpg

Is this you? If so you deserve a damn keg for sporting that outfit!

X-Era
10-18-2005, 06:00 PM
EVERYTHING that you post has something to do with the QB situation. Holcomb, while no speedster, has pretty good pocket mobility in my opinion. Don't worry about J.P. the next couple of weeks, he'll have some valuable experience passing H2O cups to his teammates on the sidelines.

In terms of the level of competition, the Jets beat Tampa Bay the week before (who smoked us), and the Dolphins were 2-1, and beat Carolina and Denver. This is the NFL, the talent level of the teams from top to bottom is a lot closer than most people realize.

There is nobody out there that would have dramatically improved our team, with the exception of Arrington. Donahoe is no superstar, he never makes big mid-season moves (as most other teams also do not). I don't want to go into another Donahoe-bash thread right now, the facts are the facts, he needs to go this season.

Jon

I think your reading WAY too much into my post. Holcomb isnt Vick, my comment was only to mean that he better have a line that can hold up.

As far as the level of competition goes, no one argues that the league has parity. But giving up 140+ yards to Curtis the other day does point to some weakness there.

We still have to face, Dillon twice, Tomlinson, Priest, and Rudi Johnson. Thats pretty damn scary for a team that has to win at LEAST 6 of our last games. Just for the record 3 players were traded at last count. Some of these guys will help the teams they go to.

My point is only that we have a tough schedule ahead and have some serious issues at stopping the run. For a team that is tied for the AFC East lead, and has a depleted division, I would think we would want to shore this up and make a serious run.

I hope not addressing the DT spot doesnt bite us in the a_s. Heres to hoping, Go Bills!!!

Mudflap1
10-18-2005, 06:51 PM
Donahoe cooked our goose by not doing squat the last two offseasons. Yes, we are struggling with stopping the run. Yes, it's because we have bad DTs next to Sam Adams. Yes, Crowell overcommits, and while he can make some plays, he gives up some majorly big plays.

Yes, the offensive played well on Sunday, but they still worry me, and for good reason. You can't neglect the offensive and defensive lines, it's all the difference in the world. Look at the Patriots. Their offensive line being weaker this year is directly a big part of the reason they are 3-3 instead of 5-1 or 6-0.

Jon

alohabillsfan
10-18-2005, 06:52 PM
Why is everyone hung up on stopping the run? would you rather see 2 big passes for 50 yds each and 25 yards rushing? The last 2 wins we gave up 97 yds to R Brown and 148yds, to C maryin respectivley, yet we lead in TOP in both games 35 mins-25 mins in the Miami game and 38 mins - 21 mins against the jets. Stopping the run is stopping WM from chewing up 7 yds a whack and the clock and keeping the d out there. If we give up a big run or 2 a game and control the clock we will win period!

ublinkwescore
10-18-2005, 07:31 PM

My friend saw that guy on TV when we were watching the game, and he was all there like "Oh, the Ultimate Warrior is a Bills fan I see."

mysticsoto
10-18-2005, 09:57 PM
Why is everyone hung up on stopping the run? would you rather see 2 big passes for 50 yds each and 25 yards rushing? The last 2 wins we gave up 97 yds to R Brown and 148yds, to C maryin respectivley, yet we lead in TOP in both games 35 mins-25 mins in the Miami game and 38 mins - 21 mins against the jets. Stopping the run is stopping WM from chewing up 7 yds a whack and the clock and keeping the d out there. If we give up a big run or 2 a game and control the clock we will win period!

The thing is, we are spoiled b'cse our run D was so strong last year. But truth be told, our pass D wasn't that great last year. This year, we have quite the number of interceptions/turnovers and are on pace to pass last years 39 turnovers. Our run D is above average but ends up looking worse than it is b'cse of a few break away runs from RBs like Martin who got 2 big ones for 90 yards. But never mind that the rest of the game he only had 60 yards worth. Which means, most of the time, we were stopping him...

pintokid53
10-18-2005, 10:03 PM
awesome...buffalo bruno made it on the zone

Mudflap1
10-18-2005, 11:20 PM
"Why is everyone hung up on stopping the run? would you rather see 2 big passes for 50 yds each and 25 yards rushing? The last 2 wins we gave up 97 yds to R Brown and 148yds, to C maryin respectivley, yet we lead in TOP in both games 35 mins-25 mins in the Miami game and 38 mins - 21 mins against the jets. Stopping the run is stopping WM from chewing up 7 yds a whack and the clock and keeping the d out there. If we give up a big run or 2 a game and control the clock we will win period!"

Football 101:

You work as hard as you can to run the ball. If you run the ball effectively, you can then set up play action passing, which in turn brings the defenders off the line and keeps enabling you to run.

On defense, you have to be ready for the pass, but you work very hard to stop the run. If you stop the run, that forces the other team to pass, and you are ready for it, it becomes easier to defend.

Basically, on offense, you do everything you can to run the ball, because it sets everything else up, and on defense, you stop the run and make the opposing team one-dimensional.