PDA

View Full Version : to those who dont think josh reed can do it...

Tatonka
01-11-2003, 01:34 AM
some have said he cant go deep.. he is too slow, this is a clip from the draft notes last year.

"LSU held its second Pro Day on Thursday which saw several prospects, including WR Josh Reed and LB Trev Faulk have impressive performances. A total of 12 teams attended the workout, including Texans' offensive coordinator Chris Palmer and several members of the Redskins' scouting staff. Reed ran 4.45 and 4.50 at 205 pounds, while also catching the ball very well during individual drills.

Gave scouts exactly what they came looking for as the well-built former running back ran a trio of 40-times that should place him in the late-first or early second round. He averaged 4.52 if you total the three together -- but was timed as fast as 4.43 in one 40 and as slow as 4.56 on another. Either way those are legitimate enough times when you add in this kids production, toughness, smarts, blocking ability and run-after-catch skills. "

http://www.draftbook.com/2002/joshreed.html

this kid will end up being a player..

i am all for peerless coming back, if the contract is reasonable.

if he doesnt, i am also confident that reed will emerge as one of the best young wrs in the league.

go bills

:friends:

northernbillfan
01-11-2003, 02:40 AM
According to some LSU fans who came over here because of Josh, he is a very underrated receiver.

Some of the catches he made this year prove that he will be an awesome receiver for years to come.

DIHARD2
01-11-2003, 02:42 AM
One thing that bothered me about Price, it was the stupid personal penalties, the 15 yarders! He did some the year before that cost us a couple of needed first downs and he did them again this last year.

I think Donohoe brought Reed in. IMHO I believe it's basically to say we got a guy to replace you if you don't want to play for our price. If they give him a reasonable offer which from what I read here is around around the 10th to 12th best in the league's pay.

Otherwise let him go, we have too many other holes where we need to spend the money on. Or he can take an incentive lace contract.

Otherwise bye-bye

GO!!!...BUFFALO!!!...

HenryRules
01-11-2003, 09:11 AM
a 40 time in the mid 4.40s is good for a receiver (as the clip states), but that is not a good time for a deep-threat which is what most people say we will be lacking if Price leaves. Yes, Moulds can go deep, but if he's the only guy on our team capable of the deep threat, it minimizes our opportunities to toss the short ball to him, something he is also really good at.

Dozerdog
01-11-2003, 09:15 AM
When you look at these two when their careers are over, Reed will blow away Price's numbers.

Novacane
01-11-2003, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
When you look at these two when their careers are over, Reed will blow away Price's numbers.

:cheers:

WG
01-11-2003, 09:50 AM
Gotta agree w/ Dozer on that one. Price has had one good season so far following 2 bad ones and a mediocre one.

Meanwhile, Reed beat Price's rookie year as the 3rd WR on this team and came close to beating out Price's 2nd season too.

Agree w/ Tatonka too. Anyone who doesn't think Reed has some speed hasn't been paying attention. He's certainly not slow prior to the catch, but his speed and quickness after the catch are awesome. The man can move!

DH is right too. Price cost the team dearly on several instances and when it becomes known around the league that the way to take advantage of us is to rattle Price into making stupid PF penalties, then there's a liability side to him as well. Toss in the dropped balls like the one in the G.B. game in very key situations, and I disagree that he's even worth #12 money based on one single season's, out of 4, stats.

I'm tellin' ya, we won't have difficulty finding a third WR and Reed will outperform Price just as Dozer said. They have different skill sets and Reed's compliments Moulds' better. We don't need two deep guys.

Besides, didn't we hear official statements coming from the coaching staff recently about how they don't want to go deep as much next year and how we need to work in the middle and short games better? If that wasn't purely lip service, then Reed will be a far greater asset to us.

Wait until next season, fans are going to be saying Peerless who?

Price for $2M or less. Else let him go. He's expendable!

Novacane
01-11-2003, 10:13 AM
What's wrong with you this morning Wys? You agreed with 3 people in one post!:D

BTW........................I agree:D

WG
01-11-2003, 10:15 AM
I love you too B2!

:biggrin:

The_Philster
01-11-2003, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by BledsoeTOreedfor6
What's wrong with you this morning Wys? You agreed with 3 people in one post!:D

I knew it was cold out......but I didn't think it was that cold. :D

Tatonka
01-11-2003, 12:51 PM
if you think that moulds has sub 4.4 speed, your wrong. i bet you that reed is like one step slower than moulds.. IF THAT!...

andre reed proved that you dont have to be fast to catch a deep pass.. when you can make cuts that break ankles it doesnt really matter how fast you are! and if the guy can run close to 4.4 already, we are going to be fine, plus he looks to be a better underneath receiver too.

god, i must be coming down with something.. me and wys on the same side.. but reed is a player, and i agree.. we may be saying peerless who next year. PLUS.. maybe it will help us rely on henry a bit more too!

SABURZFAN
01-11-2003, 12:54 PM
reed was highly touted coming out of last year's draft.i remember how stunned i was when i heard his name.i did a little more follow up,with an LSU fan that i work with,and came away feeling a lot better.i don't have any doubts that reed can't get the job done.if price is gone,we're going to see what this kid is made of.

take note that the Football Corner says that reed is "fearless over the middle and not afraid to catch the ball in traffic."another quote,"..does a nice job finding soft spots in defenses."

matt gambill-"a ton of upside who could be an All-Pro in the right system."

"great hands and body control.....runs great routes.."

i can't say these about price after watching him for a few years.

ublinkwescore
01-11-2003, 01:53 PM
I hope Reed pans out. If he doesn't, and Moulds gets alot of pressure, we could be in for another long season next year if KG doesn't use Henry as much as he should. I can't wait till Henry learns to start juking as much as he uses his straight arm (which is absolutely a work of art watching him use it on big names like Zack Thomas and Rodney Harrison), and running people over.

Dozerdog
01-11-2003, 01:55 PM
Or just hanging on the ball

ublinkwescore
01-11-2003, 02:03 PM
Yeah, that would be nice too.

This team does have a lot of resemblance to our superbowl years teams - Thurman Thomas has fumbled in the superbowl more then any other runningback in league history (I hope to god Henry learns to hold on to the ball by the time we get to the superbowl), we've got a guy named Reed who is a big time possession reciever, that is fearless over the middle, a pure pocket passer a la Kelly, a nasty Oline that has glitches of inconsistency (hopefully that will be fixed with our new Oline coach), if we get Takeo Spikes, or Colvin, we'd have our modern day Cornelius Bennet/Darryl Talley - Coy Wire = Mark Kelso, and Prioleau = Henry Jones. Pat Williams = Jeff Wright/Leon Seals upgraded, Schobel is a little subpar to Bruce Smith - hopefully he'll step up even more next year.

HenryRules
01-11-2003, 02:04 PM
I don't think Moulds has sub 4.4 speed ... he's probably right around 4.4 and Reed is more like a 4.5 according to his timings. The thing that helps Moulds is that he's got about 4 inches or so on Reed making it easier for him to get open deep.

Please don't get defensive about Reed at all ... I'm not saying that he's not going to be good, simply that he shouldn't/can't replace Price as an alternate deep threat and that someone else needs to be brought in. As our roster currently stands (excluding Price), one of Reed or Moulds needs to go deep on every play in order to stretch the D effectively ... IMO, this takes the strong parts away from each of their games (Moulds is solid at going deep but works more effectively when not doing so very often).

ublinkwescore
01-11-2003, 02:06 PM
What ever happened to Henry Jones after the GW regime got rid of him?

MissBuffalo
01-11-2003, 03:48 PM
IMO Reed is the real deal and if Peerless doesn't want what we have to offer (or his agent), than he should hit the road. We have other pressing needs on D that need to be filled. And like Wys said, there will be no difficulty in finding a third WR.

MissBuffalo
01-11-2003, 03:50 PM
Henry Jones is playing for the Falcons.

ublinkwescore
01-11-2003, 10:33 PM
Are you serious?

I was just watching the Falcons/Eagles game earlier, he must be like fourth string or something - Carpenter got hurt, and then I think his replacement got hurt too.

The_Philster
01-12-2003, 05:06 AM
Maybe he's been injured? http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/3737/gamelogs

colin
01-12-2003, 10:13 AM
Reed is gonna be good, but Price is outstanding right now. We don't want to lose him.

mush69
01-13-2003, 06:05 AM
Reed has some of the best hands in the business today. Not to mention all the other attributes but IMO it is his hands. The guy is like Spiderman, the ball just sticks!

timfromjersey
01-13-2003, 08:27 AM
I honestly think Reed could have had a lot better numbers this year if it wasn't for Bledsoe's propensity to look for the long pass play, in other words, he held the ball a long time waiting for the primary routes (ie. Moulds and Price) to break open. It's understandable that Bledsoe, starting on a new team, wanting to show the league he's still a legitimate starting qb, would rely heavily on his veteren recievers, have more confidence in them over a rookie. For next season, certain circumstances will force Bledsoe to look more for Reed. First possible circumstance could be Price leaving, another one would be going into the season with the consistancy of having Reed and Bledsoe with the same off. coodinator and offense for two years straight. Bledsoe will get more comfortable with Reed as Reed gets more comfortable with the offense. I also read one of the threads that said Gilbride is becoming the qb coach. Maybe he can get Bledsoe to break his propensity to always stay with the downfield routes and trust the offensive scheme and take what the defense gives him.

All I know is that watching the Bills this year, whenever I focused on Reed, he always seemed to have a step on his defender, when running outs and crossing patterns. He makes great cuts and explodes off of them.

Earthquake Enyart
01-13-2003, 09:46 AM
I think wys got lucky last nite. :hump:

Right, sunshine?