X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RedEyE
    • Jul 2002

Tim Rattay traded to the Bucs.

The official source for NFL news, video highlights, fantasy football, game-day coverage, schedules, stats, scores and more.

QB Rattay traded from 49ers to Bucs

NFL.com wire reports
    TAMPA, Fla. (Oct. 18, 2005) -- Tim Rattay was acquired by Tampa Bay as the Buccaneers addressed their shortage at quarterback after Brian Griese injured his knee.
    The Bucs sent an undisclosed draft choice to the San Francisco 49ers for the six-year veteran, who lost his job in San Francisco after four weeks to top overall draft pick Alex Smith. The transaction beat the NFL trading deadline of 4 p.m. Tuesday.
    To make room for Rattay on the active roster, the Bucs released rookie fullback Rick Razzano.
    Griese tore knee ligaments in the victory over Miami and will be out for a lengthy time. Chris Simms took over for Griese as the Buccaneers beat the Dolphins 27-13.
  • DynaPaul
    • Sep 2003

Re: Tim Rattay traded to the Bucs.

Well, he's better than Simms kid, thats for sure...

Comment

• RedEyE
      • Jul 2002

I guess that San Fran has not only given up on the season, but is certain that Alex Smith is their guy. I'm not so sure that was such a good idea.

Comment

• Mr. Cynical
        Maybe?
        • Oct 2003

And when Smith gets his experience this year, he will be Eli next season. And then the 9ers will be on their way up again.

Comment

• Typ0
          honey pie
          • Jul 2002

Considering he only started one game and played in another in TB before he was injured and replaced by Griese....I would expect Simms is going to play and he just might perform quite well. The time he had he didn't do poorly at all...he just lost his job because Griese was playing well. Simms is probably going to start showing up now that he's needed IMO.

Comment

• ScottLawrence
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Mr. Cynical
            And when Smith gets his experience this year, he will be Eli next season. And then the 9ers will be on their way up again.

Says who?

Alex Smith looked average to bad in preseason, and looked very bad against the Colts in his first start.

Whos to say this kid will ever be good?

The situation in San Francisco is much different from here, so don't try and compare the two.
            You're right, I am a coward! I haven't any courage at all. I even scare myself.

Comment

• Typ0
              honey pie
              • Jul 2002

I think it's hillarious that people think ANYONE can be successful as long as they get a year of crap behind them based on Eli, Peyton, yada yada yada....it's hillarious because those guys needed to have some bad seasons because most of them were on horrible teams that were building up around a QB...and there are zillions of guys who have had their starts and NEVER seen any success whatsover. If the only requirement was to have a crappy season I'd be glad to go out there and make a few million having a crappy season in my first season just to come back the next year and be the next Peyton Manning.

Comment

• chernobylwraiths
                • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Typ0
                I think it's hillarious that people think ANYONE can be successful as long as they get a year of crap behind them based on Eli, Peyton, yada yada yada....it's hillarious because those guys needed to have some bad seasons because most of them were on horrible teams that were building up around a QB...and there are zillions of guys who have had their starts and NEVER seen any success whatsover. If the only requirement was to have a crappy season I'd be glad to go out there and make a few million having a crappy season in my first season just to come back the next year and be the next Peyton Manning.
                It IS a requirement however to see if he will be any good. Otherwise you are prolonging finding out and then we will be looking for another QB in two or three years instead of one. Just puts the future even more into the future.

Comment

• Mr. Cynical
                  Maybe?
                  • Oct 2003

Originally posted by ScottLawrence
                  Says who?

Alex Smith looked average to bad in preseason, and looked very bad against the Colts in his first start.

Whos to say this kid will ever be good?

The situation in San Francisco is much different from here, so don't try and compare the two.
                  Where did I compare our situation to the 9ers? Show me. Seems to me I compared the Giants and the 9ers.

Comment

• Demon
                    • Mar 2003

OMG! WTF was Donahoe doing all day today...??? Pick up the effing phone!

Impossible is Nothing.

Comment

• mysticsoto
                      Too sober for this...
                      • Apr 2004

Originally posted by RedEyE
                      I guess that San Fran has not only given up on the season, but is certain that Alex Smith is their guy. I'm not so sure that was such a good idea.
                      I think it was a great move by the 49ers. This season is gone for them. They do not have the talent level and need to go through a rebuilding phase. What a better time than to let Alex Smith gain some experience and get extra draft picks to rebuild a new and stronger team.

Comment

• RedEyE
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by mysticsoto
                        I think it was a great move by the 49ers. This season is gone for them. They do not have the talent level and need to go through a rebuilding phase. What a better time than to let Alex Smith gain some experience and get extra draft picks to rebuild a new and stronger team.
                        I don't know if I would say great move. It might not hurt them, but it's most likely far from great.

Comment

• capitolneal
                          • Sep 2003

Originally posted by DevilPaul
                          Well, he's better than Simms kid, thats for sure...
                          imms isn't bad I love that kid he needs time to develop they say that system is tough thats why he has wylie vets running it simms will be a good QB somewhere

Comment

• Drive 4 Five
                            • May 2003

Does anyone else think that pussy ass Zack Thomas rolled up on Griese's leg on purpose?

Comment

• RedEyE
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Drive 4 Five
                              Does anyone else think that pussy ass Zack Thomas rolled up on Griese's leg on purpose?
                              I didn't see the game, but you wouldn't be the first to say that it looked intentional. What happened exactly?

Comment

Working...
                              X