PDA

View Full Version : Collinsworth dropped the ball at end of Giants game

The_Philster
01-11-2003, 09:10 AM
By ALAN PERGAMENT

A couple of weekends ago, Fox analyst Cris Collinsworth sympathized with New York Giants running back Tiki Barber.

During a game with the Philadelphia Eagles that the Giants needed to make the playoffs, Barber ran for 203 yards but fumbled three times and almost cost his team the game and their season.

Collinsworth noted that when he played his biggest fear was in embarrassing himself, suggesting that was what Barber had done before he redeemed himself on a winning field-goal drive.

A week later, on his most visible broadcast of the season, Collinsworth made a mistake that would embarrass most broadcasters. It came at the end of the Giants' 39-38 playoff collapse in San Francisco after holder Matt Allen fumbled a bad snap that prevented a game-winning field-goal attempt.....more (http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20030111/3046111.asp)

Dozerdog
01-11-2003, 09:38 AM
This is where hundreds of TV writers try to justify their existance with nonsensical stories like this.

I listened to Collinsworth (I am not a big fan of his) on an interview in the Imus in the Morning show. People Like Rudy Marzky (USA Toda) and others have nothing better to do than blow stuff out of proportion.

Basically, Collinsworth , (who used to hold on Cincy kicks) went back to his training on that call. He explained tyhat whenever you kicked on a 3rd down or less, and you got a bad snap, the idea was to immediatly throw the ball down 3-5 feet to your left to the TE's feet (Who is an elligible receiver).

He did admit in using the word "spike," forgetting that the technical use of the word meant a QB under center throwing the ball into the ground. but I watched the game, knew what he was inferring to.

They make it sound like he was completely clueless. "Grievous Errror " my ass. When you got Altzheimer's cases like Summerall in the booth, they have to nitpick everything a guy does. Stop your whining, Pergament. You're about the 50th TV writer to come up with this "Original" idea. Go back to reviewing the "Batchelorette" and "Joe Millionaire"

WG
01-11-2003, 10:45 AM
Well, to his credit, there are so many minute rules out there. I was wondering to myself how the game could have ended on a penalty if the proper call of PI had been made. At the time, they thought it had and hadn't mentioned that either.

Sometimes the problem is that there are simply too many convoluted rules. Even the refs huddle to discuss them on occasion.

It was also like that "fumble" that all Bills fans were upset about in the G.B. game. Everyone said it was a fumble, but the NFL rule clearly states that in order for it to have been a catch, two feet have to be down which they most clearly were not. Clearly. So why all the fuss? That call was as easy as pie if you look at the rule that way and not by whether or not he appeared to hang onto it or not, which I fully agree he did. But he never took that second step which is exactly the reason for that ruling.

It was correct, yet even today, people are criticizing it.

SABURZFAN
01-11-2003, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
I listened to Collinsworth (I am not a big fan of his) on an interview in the Imus in the Morning show.

:eek:

you listen to Imus?i hope you don't do it while driving or operating heavy equipment.that old,turkey-necked,bumbling idiot is liable to put you asleep.

SABURZFAN
01-11-2003, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Wys Guy
Sometimes the problem is that there are simply too many convoluted rules. Even the refs huddle to discuss them on occasion.

that is SO true,Wys.it's easy for people to assume that he should have spiked the ball and try it again.sometimes,i think there are too many unnecessary rules.

Typ0
01-11-2003, 08:32 PM
No he should have threw the ball down and the Giants still could have won the game. It's the coaches fault he did not know to do that. There's no question about this.