PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else tired of the lame...

Pride
10-20-2005, 01:25 PM
player intros?

At least a few weeks ago, they announced each defensive player to fire and sparklers....

For the jets game.. they just announced the whole offensive unit...

Talk about BOOOOORRRRIIIINNNNGGGG!!!!!

When will they understand that there is an art to getting the crowd involved.... look at the sunday/monday night games... they always have something special going on to get the crowd involved!

Buffalo needs a wake up call!

Michael82
10-20-2005, 01:29 PM
Thank you, Pride! I have been saying this all along. They always have done individual player intros and then for the last year or two, they went to introducing units. I was so glad they went back to introducing the players individually, but then they changed it again the last 2 weeks. :ill:

Don't they realize that the crowd really gets into it when they call each player one by one? They really make the place loud when Takeo Spikes, London Fletcher, Nate Clements, Eric Moulds and others come out on their own and can add their own entrance to it. That stadium is always rocking from the individual introductions. I have no idea why they decided to go back to the cheesy unit intros. But I don't like it. :mad:

Pride
10-20-2005, 01:35 PM
Just 1 more disappointment from the Stadium Experience in Orchard Park... I think people are starting to realize that Buffalo is NOT a great football experience... many stadiums around the league understand that flashiness can fill the seats during a bad season...

THATHURMANATOR
10-20-2005, 01:40 PM
First off the crowd doesn't need any gay fireworks and crap to get going.

What are you talking about stadium experience? I am there to watch football and spill the occasional beer on Phil. I don't want all that MTV, flashy mumbo jumbo! I could care less how they introduce the players.

Pride
10-20-2005, 01:42 PM
So you are ok with the removal of the Jumbotron? Music? Flyovers after the National Anthem? Blue Seating?

OpIv37
10-20-2005, 01:43 PM
What are you talking about stadium experience? I am there to watch football and spill the occasional beer on Phil. I don't want all that MTV, flashy mumbo jumbo! I could care less how they introduce the players.

agreed, but unfortunately this is 21st century America and too many people value style over substance. Seriously, we don't need the kind of fans who will show up to see a ****ty football team because they have fireworks and a good sound system. We need the kind of fans who show up during a ****ty season because it's still their team.

THATHURMANATOR
10-20-2005, 01:44 PM
So you are ok with the removal of the Jumbotron? Music? Flyovers after the National Anthem? Blue Seating?
I am ok with everything being removed but the Jumbo tron because it aids me in seeing the game since I sit in the endzone.

THATHURMANATOR
10-20-2005, 01:45 PM
agreed, but unfortunately this is 21st century America and too many people value style over substance. Seriously, we don't need the kind of fans who will show up to see a ****ty football team because they have fireworks and a good sound system. We need the kind of fans who show up during a ****ty season because it's still their team.

:bf1: :goodpost:

OpIv37
10-20-2005, 01:48 PM

the Jumbotron is an enhancement for watching the game- you can't see the whole field from every seat so the Jumbotron is a big help. Also, I doubt you can get the players to re-enact plays, so the Jumbotron is a necessity for replays.

Flyovers are cool but a waste of taxpayer money. I could do without them. The stadium's seats should be the team colors. They have to paint them some color and one color costs the same as the next.

Shasta McNasty
10-20-2005, 01:50 PM

I agree with Thurm. All that other stuff is to get non-football fans attention.

THATHURMANATOR
10-20-2005, 01:53 PM
Whats up man! How you been?

Pride
10-20-2005, 02:00 PM
I disagree with some of you. The problem Buffalo has is the lack of people turning out for games... or the length of time it takes to turn out for games. A fan who is there for the game AND the style/ambiance is just as important as the fan who is only there for the on the field action.

Support is support... do you think that every fan who helps to sell out Gillette is a die hard fan who hates the extra entertainment at the game? Hardly.

My point is, without the total experience that other stadiums have... Buffalo wont be around long enough to compete with them. If I (personally) were not a bills fan, and had the choice to watch a game at the Ralph or one in Baltimore.. the choice is easy... Baltimore offers a MUCH better entertainment experience.

I know I will be bashed by the "loyalists" who prefer just football on the field... but the fact is... without the extra entertainment, the bills wont be around much longer.

Shasta McNasty
10-20-2005, 02:05 PM
I disagree with some of you. The problem Buffalo has is the lack of people turning out for games... or the length of time it takes to turn out for games. A fan who is there for the game AND the style/ambiance is just as important as the fan who is only there for the on the field action.

Support is support... do you think that every fan who helps to sell out Gillette is a die hard fan who hates the extra entertainment at the game? Hardly.

My point is, without the total experience that other stadiums have... Buffalo wont be around long enough to compete with them. If I (personally) were not a bills fan, and had the choice to watch a game at the Ralph or one in Baltimore.. the choice is easy... Baltimore offers a MUCH better entertainment experience.

I know I will be bashed by the "loyalists" who prefer just football on the field... but the fact is... without the extra entertainment, the bills wont be around much longer.

I have been to two games in Baltimore. Not a difference that I noticed.

OpIv37
10-20-2005, 02:09 PM

I hear you to a point- there are definitely things that the Bills can do better (and you've mentioned some of these before): better replays on the Jumbotron, a dedicated out-of-town scoreboard, having the television feed on the monitors by the concession stands instead of the lame Jumbotron feed that doesn't tell down/yards to go/time remaining etc. They also should improve the audio for the 100 and 200 levels- you can't hear the refs at all down there.

Oh and that stupid bus race thing has got to go. That is the lamest excuse for TV timeout entertainment I've ever seen. Even the Barnes commercials are better- at least then we can laugh at the glare that the fill light creates on his bald head.

But at the same time, do you really think it will attract that many more "casual" fans? The cheapest seats at RWS are $47 (still a good deal compared to other teams *cough- Redskins- *cough). Is someone who doesn't care about football- or only cares a little- going to pay that much because the Ralph adds some replays and pyrotechnics? I doubt it. There were a lot of cool things about the way Baltimore does it, but if I heard that "we must protect this house" garbage one more time I was gonna start kicking Ravens fans down the stadium stairs. A little bit of "flash" is cool, but at some point it becomes a distraction from the game.

Shasta McNasty
10-20-2005, 02:10 PM
Whats up man! How you been?

Hey Bro. Been "going hard" as usual. The announce my name as I enter the bars and then fireworks go off.

Sorry Pride, had to.

OpIv37
10-20-2005, 02:14 PM
Hey Bro. Been "going hard" as usual. The announce my name as I enter the bars and then fireworks go off.
Sorry Pride, had to.

yeah dude- I was there last week when you and your friends arrived, and they just announced "the Shasta posse". It killed the whole mood in the bar- what's that about?

Shasta McNasty
10-20-2005, 02:18 PM
yeah dude- I was there last week when you and your friends arrived, and they just announced "the Shasta posse". It killed the whole mood in the bar- what's that about?

I was there to collect money.

THATHURMANATOR
10-20-2005, 02:21 PM

The problem with your point is the fact that the Bills havent been to the playoffs in 6 years and have been pretty bad and there hasnt been much problem having a full stadium. Buffalo supports the Bill's bottom line. If we were talking about a homo town like Miami that needs all those extras to watch football.

THATHURMANATOR
10-20-2005, 02:21 PM

The problem with your point is the fact that the Bills havent been to the playoffs in 6 years and have been pretty bad and there hasnt been much problem having a full stadium. Buffalo supports the Bill's bottom line. If we were talking about a homo town like Miami that needs all those extras to watch football then I might agree with you.

BAM
10-20-2005, 02:25 PM
I have been to two games in Baltimore. Not a difference that I noticed.
I've been to two games in Ravens stadium as well. Yer nuts if you didn't notice a difference.

Now I don't really mind the fact that Buffalo's "multimedia" or whatever is lame, I am just there to see the game too, but they could definitely do a better job. I'm sure they have the resources.

OpIv37
10-20-2005, 02:33 PM
also, there's a point where it's just ridiculous. Think of this- you're last year's 49's and you're 1-13. As the team runs into the stadium, fireworks go off, music plays like when a heavyweight champion is approaching the ring to defend his belt, jets fly overhead, and the scoreboard plays a look of the 9 good offensive plays they've had all season. But you're 1-13. Please.

Pride
10-20-2005, 02:34 PM
M&T Bank Stadium

Video screens:

* The 2 SmartVision video screens, located in each end zone, measuring 100 ft. x 24 ft. are the largest permanent computer-operated video display screens in any sports venue in the world.
* A crew of 25+ people operate the screens from a central control room located on the press level. Some of the dynamic features of the screens include, arguably, the best graphics and game action video in the league, plus network pre-game shows, live game highlights from around the NFL, instant replays, up-to-date scores, statistics and player updates.
* Each screen can be divided into as many as 16 different pictures, augmented by over 1,894 custom-built speakers that produce crystal sound and dynamic, breathtaking special effects.

THATHURMANATOR
10-20-2005, 02:43 PM
Sorry Pride, had to.
Good to hear man! Not much going on Ashland really. Lots of same old same old.

imbondz
10-20-2005, 02:44 PM
I think there should be a show after each quarter, not just half. I was at a Titans game last sunday, and they have a bear mascot, and the person inside was standing up, then did a handstand in the uniform, it looked funny. Is that the kind of entertainment you're hoping for Pride?

The Titans suck this year but they have fireworks after each time they score. It made me flinch one time, which made me mad.

THATHURMANATOR
10-20-2005, 02:45 PM
M&T Bank Stadium

Video screens:

* The 2 SmartVision video screens, located in each end zone, measuring 100 ft. x 24 ft. are the largest permanent computer-operated video display screens in any sports venue in the world.
* A crew of 25+ people operate the screens from a central control room located on the press level. Some of the dynamic features of the screens include, arguably, the best graphics and game action video in the league, plus network pre-game shows, live game highlights from around the NFL, instant replays, up-to-date scores, statistics and player updates.
* Each screen can be divided into as many as 16 different pictures, augmented by over 1,894 custom-built speakers that produce crystal sound and dynamic, breathtaking special effects.

Who cares?

THATHURMANATOR
10-20-2005, 02:47 PM
Another point is why would they spend all that money to upgrade The Ralph when there is much talk of a new stadium being built in the next 5 or so years.

BAM
10-20-2005, 02:48 PM
First I've heard any mention of that, THURM!

Who's talking about it?

Pride
10-20-2005, 02:49 PM
Yeah, I've never heard of a new stadium proposal in/around buffalo...

imbondz
10-20-2005, 02:50 PM
I hate the entertainment because it's lame. The ads on the jumbotron are gay. The cheesy games they do are cheesy. I hate all the advertisements. I'd rather have good music than 'entertainment'. I like when the jets fly overhead because I always think they're going to crash in the stadium and kill alot of us, and I don't mind fireworks going off after a touchdown. but not a field goal, unless it's a game winner which we don't have to worry about.

imbondz
10-20-2005, 02:50 PM
Corey's been talking about it in his head alot.

THATHURMANATOR
10-20-2005, 03:00 PM
First I've heard any mention of that, THURM!

Who's talking about it?
It is on the news constantly. The one guy running for Mayor, Byron Brown, is using it as one of his platforms.

eee1776
10-20-2005, 03:17 PM
I agree that they could do a better job . I too think those bus races are lame, they made need a new fusion of ideas or a change in the personel that thinks up those marketing spots. With that all said being there at the Ralph is always a good football experiece for me. If youwant to throw up on yourself go to Bank America Stadium in Charlotte..were the fans arrive late and leave early and the only folks in the lower level are corportate seats at(lowerst price) $75 a pop not counting having to buy your licence first (PSL's)
Thank you ralph for keeping everythinbg affordable.

Michael82
10-20-2005, 03:22 PM

I agree with this somewhat. When I was at the Ravens game last year, I got annoyed with all their flashy **** all over the place. and those gay Move those chains chants. :ill:

THATHURMANATOR
10-20-2005, 03:24 PM
I agree with this somewhat. When I was at the Ravens game last year, I got annoyed with all their flashy **** all over the place. and those gay Move those chains chants. :ill:
MAKE UP YOUR MIND MIKE!

Michael82
10-20-2005, 03:25 PM
I hear you to a point- there are definitely things that the Bills can do better (and you've mentioned some of these before): better replays on the Jumbotron, a dedicated out-of-town scoreboard, having the television feed on the monitors by the concession stands instead of the lame Jumbotron feed that doesn't tell down/yards to go/time remaining etc. They also should improve the audio for the 100 and 200 levels- you can't hear the refs at all down there.

Oh and that stupid bus race thing has got to go. That is the lamest excuse for TV timeout entertainment I've ever seen. Even the Barnes commercials are better- at least then we can laugh at the glare that the fill light creates on his bald head.

But at the same time, do you really think it will attract that many more "casual" fans? The cheapest seats at RWS are $47 (still a good deal compared to other teams *cough- Redskins- *cough). Is someone who doesn't care about football- or only cares a little- going to pay that much because the Ralph adds some replays and pyrotechnics? I doubt it. There were a lot of cool things about the way Baltimore does it, but if I heard that "we must protect this house" garbage one more time I was gonna start kicking Ravens fans down the stadium stairs. A little bit of "flash" is cool, but at some point it becomes a distraction from the game.
Great post, man! :bf1:

Pride
10-20-2005, 03:27 PM
Did you hate the flashyness because we were losing? Or because it wasnt your team? The fans there seemed to LOVE them!

Michael82
10-20-2005, 03:27 PM
MAKE UP YOUR MIND MIKE!
I did. And I'm sick of people telling me I'm not. I made up my mind about one ****ing thing. I said that I prefer the individual player introductions wayyyy more than the cheesy unit intros. That's nothing different from me saying that I agree with the other stuff too. When I went to the Ravens games, they kept chanting move those chains, move those chains. It was really annoying. and then of course the We must protect this house... I will! I will! Drove me batty. I like everything about the Ralph currently, EXCEPT for the ****ing cheesy unit introductons. Why can't they stick with the individual ones? It really works and gets the crowd loud.

Michael82
10-20-2005, 03:28 PM
Did you hate the flashyness because we were losing? Or because it wasnt your team? The fans there seemed to LOVE them!
Because it drove me nuts. I prefer just seeing the replays and people chanting defense when the defense is out and watching the offense is out. The Ralph has it the way I want it, except for the player intros.

THATHURMANATOR
10-20-2005, 03:32 PM
I hate it because it is gay.

THATHURMANATOR
10-20-2005, 03:34 PM
I did. And I'm sick of people telling me I'm not. I made up my mind about one ****ing thing. I said that I prefer the individual player introductions wayyyy more than the cheesy unit intros. That's nothing different from me saying that I agree with the other stuff too. When I went to the Ravens games, they kept chanting move those chains, move those chains. It was really annoying. and then of course the We must protect this house... I will! I will! Drove me batty. I like everything about the Ralph currently, EXCEPT for the ****ing cheesy unit introductons. Why can't they stick with the individual ones? It really works and gets the crowd loud.
Your not.

Michael82
10-20-2005, 03:36 PM
Oh and the only thing I liked about the Ravens stadium was that they actually showed replays throughout the NFL during timeouts and were always updating the out of town scoreboard. I wish that the Bills would do that. At times, I am checking my cell phone to see how my fantasy team is doing, because the Bills suck for out of town scoring and replays. That is the ONLY thing I liked there. :::

BAM
10-20-2005, 03:42 PM
They should just let me run it all!

I would play good music after every play and mix it in with the highlights!

THATHURMANATOR
10-20-2005, 03:43 PM
When I am at a Bills game fantasy football takes a back seat. I can find out the scores later on.

BAM
10-20-2005, 03:45 PM
I'm with THURM.

I do, however, wish that they would show the scores from around the NFL more frequently. I could give a damn about highlights.

The only other thing that really bugs me is that they play stupid music at times. Others they're on point. Like when they played KNOW YOUR ENEMY by Rage a couple times last year.

Michael82
10-20-2005, 03:47 PM
They should just let me run it all!

I would play good music after every play and mix it in with the highlights!
You would be a good choice for it. :clap:

THATHURMANATOR
10-20-2005, 03:56 PM
Hey if they played cool music I wouldn't mind but it really isn't a big deal to me if they don't. If they got rid of Gurtler though I wouldn't go to another game.....DAAAALLLLEEEE Hawerchuck!

buffalofan19
10-20-2005, 04:25 PM
I think there is a happy medium to be had in this issue. The game presentation at the Ralph needs to be upgraded (same with the HSBC Arena at Sabres games but I digress). As mentioned before, the replays need to be better, and probably the CBS/FOX/ESPN feed needs to be used, as well as better out of town scoreboard updates. There are probably improvements they can make with the commercials/promotions at TV timeouts too. However, I don't think they need to go all out with the pyrotechnics either like in Baltimore. Some of those video shows go overboard. I would like to see those "ribbon boards" be put into the Ralph like they have at the HSBC Arena and numerous other indoor and outdoor professional sports venues. They look pretty neat and a franchise can make boatloads of money in advertising on those things. The Ralph seems to be the only stadium without one of those nowadays. Then again, Buffalo has always seemed behind the times when it comes to the technological aspect of the game.

I also agree that they should do individual player intros instead of the entire unit thing. That tactic is getting old. Bill Belichick did that in Super Bowl XXXVI to create that "team" effect. It was a good strategy, but it only works for so long. Now, it has absolutely no effect whatsoever.

THATHURMANATOR
10-20-2005, 04:29 PM
I don't think that player intros have anything to do with the outcome of any game.

buffalofan19
10-20-2005, 04:34 PM
I don't think that player intros have anything to do with the outcome of any game.

No, they don't, but my point is that the idea behind the "entire unit" intro is a mimicry of something Belichick did in the Super Bowl. Technically, it "worked" so coaches like Mularkey now use that strategy. I'm just saying it's lame, and any effect that it might have or have had is now gone. All I am saying is go back to the original way of doing things. Besides, I think there is something to be said about the crowd getting more pumped by individual player intros. It almost seems to naturally get the adrenaline going. I bet it pumps the players up more too.

Michael82
10-20-2005, 04:54 PM
No, they don't, but my point is that the idea behind the "entire unit" intro is a mimicry of something Belichick did in the Super Bowl. Technically, it "worked" so coaches like Mularkey now use that strategy. I'm just saying it's lame, and any effect that it might have or have had is now gone. All I am saying is go back to the original way of doing things. Besides, I think there is something to be said about the crowd getting more pumped by individual player intros. It almost seems to naturally get the adrenaline going. I bet it pumps the players up more too.
That's what I'm saying. Watch the players next time. When Fletcher gets himself ready for the pregame individual intro, he's really pumped and goes nuts. When it's the unit intro, they just run out and the players arent as pumped up.

OpIv37
10-20-2005, 05:10 PM
I'm with THURM.

I do, however, wish that they would show the scores from around the NFL more frequently. I could give a damn about highlights.

The only other thing that really bugs me is that they play stupid music at times. Others they're on point. Like when they played KNOW YOUR ENEMY by Rage a couple times last year.

or when London Fletcher recovered the fumble and they played London Calling by the Clash

imbondz
10-20-2005, 06:35 PM
or when London Fletcher recovered the fumble and they played London Calling by the Clash

that's awesome!

THATHURMANATOR
10-20-2005, 11:43 PM
I doubt they really put that much thought into it.

sba
10-21-2005, 12:13 AM
Here's a neat audio clip I got of the D intros from the opener:

http://www.lethalinjection.com/sba/sas/bills05d.mp3

Michael82
10-21-2005, 01:37 AM
Here's a neat audio clip I got of the D intros from the opener:

http://www.lethalinjection.com/sba/sas/bills05d.mp3
That's pretty sweet! and it kinda shows what I'm talking about. Listen to the crowd get into it, especially for certain players. TKO! TKO! TKO! :dance:

THATHURMANATOR
10-21-2005, 12:19 PM
Blah Blah Blah

Earthquake Enyart
10-21-2005, 12:26 PM
The only pregame thing I care about is that a hot chick sing the national anthem.

And a 2nd Jumbotron at the opposite side of the stadium would be nice. Soldier Field has one on each end, and that's nice. :up:

THATHURMANATOR
10-21-2005, 12:34 PM
:bf1:

Earthquake Enyart
10-21-2005, 12:39 PM
Those giant inflatable helmets that everyone has now are really gay.

Patrick76777
10-21-2005, 12:42 PM
and spill the occasional beer on Phil. .

LMAO!!!

Patrick76777
10-21-2005, 12:54 PM
A second Jumbotron would be the Bee’s Knees!

And those team player announcements are terrible. It’s a total copy of the Patriots “team” thing. No thanks.

I love the fly-overs! Sure Imbondz hates them because he’s a republican and they’ve all been scared into thinking the terrorists are around every corner.

Give me that and a good football game and I’m happy. I don’t need doves being released, or male cheerleaders (Ravens, F@gs cough cough….)

The_Philster
10-21-2005, 04:54 PM
Those giant inflatable helmets that everyone has now are really gay.
agreed
Get a bigger jumbotron..have the smaller one up on the old Administration building behind the tunnel end zone
Keep the flyovers
announce the players one by one