PDA

View Full Version : Forget Clements, Extend McGee immediately!

Michael82
10-20-2005, 05:59 PM
I feel that both of the Buffalo Bills cornerbacks are going to be stars, and I really like the fact that Terrence McGee is already one of the best kick returners in the league. I've been watching each game so far this year and it seems that McGee is starting to outshine Nate Clements. We know Clements will command big bucks, so they should franchise tag him and trade him. Extend Terrence McGee and make him the #1 cornerback. I know he gets burned sometimes, but he is getting better each game. I really think this kid is going to be something special. He may actually be better than Nate Clements in the long run. So, McGee is a RFA this year. The Bills have all rights to sign him or extend him in the offseason. They should definitely extend him and then work on Willis McGahee's extension IMO.

X-Era
10-20-2005, 06:05 PM
I feel that both of the Buffalo Bills cornerbacks are going to be stars, and I really like the fact that Terrence McGee is already one of the best kick returners in the league. I've been watching each game so far this year and it seems that McGee is starting to outshine Nate Clements. We know Clements will command big bucks, so they should franchise tag him and trade him. Extend Terrence McGee and make him the #1 cornerback. I know he gets burned sometimes, but he is getting better each game. I really think this kid is going to be something special. He may actually be better than Nate Clements in the long run. So, McGee is a RFA this year. The Bills have all rights to sign him or extend him in the offseason. They should definitely extend him and then work on Willis McGahee's extension IMO. I just wish TD would treat this team like a real NFL team and not the friggin Sabres and spend the money to keep them BOTH!

But its more likely that we end up spending another 1st on a CB.

Michael82
10-20-2005, 06:14 PM
I just wish TD would treat this team like a real NFL team and not the friggin Sabres and spend the money to keep them BOTH!

But its more likely that we end up spending another 1st on a CB.
How can they afford to spend all that money on both? If the NFL CBA is completed this offseason, then they can. But if it's not done by then, their isn't enough salary cap room to re-sign both.

MarvLevy
10-20-2005, 06:20 PM
HOW MANY GREAT RETURNERS IN THE NFL START AND PLAY THE WHOLE GAME? ITS TOUGH TO DO.
IE, DRUMMOND, CHAD MORTON, DANTE HALL, PONDER.. THESE GUYS ARE FRESH.

Michael82
10-20-2005, 06:37 PM
HOW MANY GREAT RETURNERS IN THE NFL START AND PLAY THE WHOLE GAME? ITS TOUGH TO DO.
IE, DRUMMOND, CHAD MORTON, DANTE HALL, PONDER.. THESE GUYS ARE FRESH.
Okay, so we need to keep him as the #2 CB and sign a new #1 CB? :scratch:

BillsFever21
10-20-2005, 06:55 PM
I feel that both of the Buffalo Bills cornerbacks are going to be stars, and I really like the fact that Terrence McGee is already one of the best kick returners in the league. I've been watching each game so far this year and it seems that McGee is starting to outshine Nate Clements. We know Clements will command big bucks, so they should franchise tag him and trade him. Extend Terrence McGee and make him the #1 cornerback. I know he gets burned sometimes, but he is getting better each game. I really think this kid is going to be something special. He may actually be better than Nate Clements in the long run. So, McGee is a RFA this year. The Bills have all rights to sign him or extend him in the offseason. They should definitely extend him and then work on Willis McGahee's extension IMO.

McGee is good but no better then a #2. Don't be gullable. We should sign him to a modest extension.

Nate covers the top guys. If McGee went up against the Johnson's and Owens' on a weekly basis it would be a different story.

McGee is worth a 4yr-12 million dollar extension with a 4 million dollar bonus.

OpIv37
10-20-2005, 07:01 PM
we need both. If Clements leaves, we need someone on his level to replace him.

Lexwhat
10-20-2005, 07:05 PM
McGee is good but no better then a #2. Don't be gullable. We should sign him to a modest extension.

Nate covers the top guys. If McGee went up against the Johnson's and Owens' on a weekly basis it would be a different story.

McGee is worth a 4yr-12 million dollar extension with a 4 million dollar bonus.

I agree.

Michael82
10-20-2005, 07:32 PM
we need both. If Clements leaves, we need someone on his level to replace him.
I agree with that. I feel that we are going to lose Clements and spend his money on both Terrence McGee AND Willis McGahee. I prefer that move. But like you said, they gotta also toss some money to a big CB to replace Clements too. :up:

BillsFever21
10-20-2005, 07:38 PM
Plus there is no need to hurry on an extension for McGahee. We still have him for two more seasons after this year.

I'd rather sign Nate then Willis if it came down between them two. It's a lot easier to find a good RB then a shutdown CB, plus the life of a RB is very short.

With a few exceptions, RB's are useless after 30 years old. They hit the wall at that age. I wouldn't wanna sign a RB at 26(which Willis will be when his contract ends) to a multi year extension for major bucks. After 3 years he would most likey not be the same player. Their prime is from 23-28. Plus we can always just franchise him for another year to keep him. So basically we can have him for 3 more seasons after this.

That's why a lot of good RB's hold out and try to get an extension because they know they don't get that extra contract when they're 28-29 like other positions will get. Nobody is willing to sign a 27 year old RB to a 7 year deal because there is no way they will hold up that long and they are easily replaceable.

Sportsuser101
10-20-2005, 07:40 PM
Terrence McGee as a #1 corner doesn't seem like a good idea.

Devin
10-20-2005, 07:40 PM
I am not convinced McGee can be a #1 corner, I think he is good because of the play of those around him. Im not saying hes bad, but hes a small dude, and having Nate on te other side is good for him.

At 5'9 and as tiny as he is do you think McGee could cover TO, Chad Johnson, Hines Ward ....etc?

TacklingDummy
10-20-2005, 07:41 PM
Clements has to stay. He help's the piss poor pass rush the Bills get by being a awesome cover guy.

But like many, I think he will be gone to, especially if TD is still the GM.

BillsFever21
10-20-2005, 07:42 PM
I agree with that. I feel that we are going to lose Clements and spend his money on both Terrence McGee AND Willis McGahee. I prefer that move. But like you said, they gotta also toss some money to a big CB to replace Clements too. :up:

There is no rush to extend McGahee. He is still under contract for the next two seasons and we could always franchise him for another season which gives us 3 years.

A four year extension is fine but if he's looking for a 7 year deal with a mega bonus which you know he will then pass on it and trade him at 27 to somebody who is willing to give it to him. RB's breakdown at a young age and are easy to replace.

BillsFever21
10-20-2005, 07:50 PM
Hey Mikey do you ever look at your trade requests? I'm checking to see if you're interested in Eli Manning in the HRL. It looks as if you could use a better QB.

Michael82
10-20-2005, 07:52 PM
How do you guys think we are going to be able to keep BOTH Cornerbacks? Clements is going to demand a huge contract with a bonus near $15 million. McGee is also going to demand a lot of money, mainly because of his return ability and his play at CB. Nothing near as high as Clements, but it won't be cheap.

Michael82
10-20-2005, 07:53 PM
Hey Mikey do you ever look at your trade requests? I'm checking to see if you're interested in Eli Manning in the HRL. It looks as if you could use a better QB.
I was looking at that trade and wondering how that helps me. Tom Brady is actually doing pretty good at QB for me.

Now back to this thread, as far as McGahee, he is going to hold out in the offseason and should get a 3 or 4 year extension IMo.

BillsFever21
10-20-2005, 07:54 PM
How do you guys think we are going to be able to keep BOTH Cornerbacks? Clements is going to demand a huge contract with a bonus near $15 million. McGee is also going to demand a lot of money, mainly because of his return ability and his play at CB. Nothing near as high as Clements, but it won't be cheap.

You get what you pay for. McGee could never cover the guys the way Clements does. McGee would cover Hushmenzada instead of Johnson. Greg Lewis instead of Owens, ect..

Drive 4 Five
10-20-2005, 08:38 PM
I agree with Mikey actually. Clements is going to command way too much money. That money could be better used to beef up the defensive line, which is going to help ANY defensive back playing in our backfield. Nate's play this year has not warranted the kind of money he expects and I, like Mikey, think that McGee is the better value for the money we are going to have to spend. Again, I seriously doubt that we can even afford to keep Nate. Therefore, franchise his ass, get a 1st rounder, and send that greedy bastard packing.

Michael82
10-20-2005, 08:49 PM
I agree with Mikey actually. Clements is going to command way too much money. That money could be better used to beef up the defensive line, which is going to help ANY defensive back playing in our backfield. Nate's play this year has not warranted the kind of money he expects and I, like Mikey, think that McGee is the better value for the money we are going to have to spend. Again, I seriously doubt that we can even afford to keep Nate. Therefore, franchise his ass, get a 1st rounder, and send that greedy bastard packing.
Great post! :bf1:

:posrep:

Mr. Cynical
10-21-2005, 12:39 AM
Get them both signed. Dump Mike "the Fat Cap Buster" Williams if we need to free up money being wasted.

McGee + Clements >>>>>> :fat:

Lexwhat
10-21-2005, 01:19 AM
Get them both signed. Dump Mike "the Fat Cap Buster" Williams if we need to free up money being wasted.

McGee + Clements >>>>>> :fat:

:bf1:

I agree with this. I would really like it if Jason Peters is able to take over the LT spot next year. I dont know if it will happen. With that, move Mike Gandy to the RT spot. If not, even put Peters at the RT spot and leave Gandy where he is. But in any case, I at least dont want Greg Jarman to be our starter anywhere on the line. I would be baffled if that happened next year.

Now if Peters is ready, then I say we should dump Mike Williams regardless. If that money doesnt go towards Clements, then put that money towards a DT and a Guard or else 2 Guards. Mike Williams isnt bad and he's not a bust, but he's just not a dominant player.

Clump, would you happen to know what the approximate salary cap hit would be if we cut MW after the season is over?

Philagape
10-21-2005, 07:25 AM
I'm not sold on McGee as approaching Clements' level. He still gives up big plays and looks lost at times. The speed is there, but not the savvy.

SABURZFAN
10-21-2005, 07:34 AM
you go to Santora's,out here in vegas,and Golfguy (mitch) will tell you that mcgee is the best player on the team.

i'm starting to believe him. :couch:

mysticsoto
10-21-2005, 08:14 AM
Sadly, I think Mikey is right. I don't think we will be able to afford to keep Clements next year and then keep McGee and in the future, McGahee and the host of free agents we will have in the next year or two. People here want everything - sign Clement and McGee...it's not that easy - you have to look at the repercussions down the line. If signing Clements means we can't keep McGahee in a few years...is it worth it?

I'm not sure what dumping Mike Williams at the end of the year gives us - doesn't he just have 1 yr left after? If we dump him, we probably take a cap hit - though I don't know how much (Clump ?). The same may apply to Moulds.

I'm thinking we will be losing Clements mostly b'cse Eric King is getting a lot of play time this year that is unexpected to me. That may mean that they are training him to be able to play as #2 next year. McGee moves to the #1 position and King to #2 with Greer at #3. If Kevin Thomas is recovered and doesn't injure himself again, he can fight for #2 or #3. McGee has improved every year, so I have confidence that he will make some errors at 1st, but gradually get better. King will need to step it up too.

If we do franchise Nate and get a 1st rounder for him, we can then use that to get a real DE or stud DT that can help put pressure on QBs and hopefully not rely solely on our CBs for protection. Our D will then switch from the #1 pass def to middle of the line - but hopefully the run defense will improve also.

Then we need to concentrate on the Oline and finding perhaps a new RT and getting better backups than Jerman!!! We also need to get Moulds replacement...

justasportsfan
10-21-2005, 09:54 AM
How do you guys think we are going to be able to keep BOTH Cornerbacks? Clements is going to demand a huge contract with a bonus near $15 million. McGee is also going to demand a lot of money, mainly because of his return ability and his play at CB. Nothing near as high as Clements, but it won't be cheap.cut Moulds or Mike . If Everrett and Parrish turns out to be as good as advertised. Moulds and his cap could be the odd man out. I hope not.

BTW, how much is Teague eating up our cap?

Lexwhat
10-21-2005, 03:03 PM
cut Moulds or Mike . If Everrett and Parrish turns out to be as good as advertised. Moulds and his cap could be the odd man out. I hope not.

BTW, how much is Teague eating up our cap?

Isnt Teague a FA after this season is over?

Mr. Cynical
10-21-2005, 03:09 PM
:bf1:

I agree with this. I would really like it if Jason Peters is able to take over the LT spot next year. I dont know if it will happen. With that, move Mike Gandy to the RT spot. If not, even put Peters at the RT spot and leave Gandy where he is. But in any case, I at least dont want Greg Jarman to be our starter anywhere on the line. I would be baffled if that happened next year.

Now if Peters is ready, then I say we should dump Mike Williams regardless. If that money doesnt go towards Clements, then put that money towards a DT and a Guard or else 2 Guards. Mike Williams isnt bad and he's not a bust, but he's just not a dominant player.

Clump, would you happen to know what the approximate salary cap hit would be if we cut MW after the season is over?

:hi5:

Drive 4 Five
10-21-2005, 06:12 PM
you go to Santora's,out here in vegas,and Golfguy (mitch) will tell you that mcgee is the best player on the team.
i'm starting to believe him. :couch:

Well he sure as hell has been the most exciting and possibly the most consistent as well. There are some who have always been down on this guy, for whatever reason, and I just don't get. All the kid does is make plays.

I really don't see Clements in a Bill's uniform next year. Don't get me wrong. I would love to keep him, but even if we did have the cap room, no ONE player is bigger than this entire team. No player is worth that much money. I don't care who it is.

Ask Drew Bledose. Oh and ask Mike Williams next year if he refuses a pay cut.