Forget Clements, Extend McGee immediately!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Michael82
    • Jul 2002

Forget Clements, Extend McGee immediately!

I feel that both of the Buffalo Bills cornerbacks are going to be stars, and I really like the fact that Terrence McGee is already one of the best kick returners in the league. I've been watching each game so far this year and it seems that McGee is starting to outshine Nate Clements. We know Clements will command big bucks, so they should franchise tag him and trade him. Extend Terrence McGee and make him the #1 cornerback. I know he gets burned sometimes, but he is getting better each game. I really think this kid is going to be something special. He may actually be better than Nate Clements in the long run. So, McGee is a RFA this year. The Bills have all rights to sign him or extend him in the offseason. They should definitely extend him and then work on Willis McGahee's extension IMO.
  • X-Era
    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
    • Feb 2005

Re: Forget Clements, Extend McGee immediately!

Originally posted by Mikey82
    I feel that both of the Buffalo Bills cornerbacks are going to be stars, and I really like the fact that Terrence McGee is already one of the best kick returners in the league. I've been watching each game so far this year and it seems that McGee is starting to outshine Nate Clements. We know Clements will command big bucks, so they should franchise tag him and trade him. Extend Terrence McGee and make him the #1 cornerback. I know he gets burned sometimes, but he is getting better each game. I really think this kid is going to be something special. He may actually be better than Nate Clements in the long run. So, McGee is a RFA this year. The Bills have all rights to sign him or extend him in the offseason. They should definitely extend him and then work on Willis McGahee's extension IMO.
    I just wish TD would treat this team like a real NFL team and not the friggin Sabres and spend the money to keep them BOTH!

But its more likely that we end up spending another 1st on a CB.

Comment

• Michael82
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by jp-era
      I just wish TD would treat this team like a real NFL team and not the friggin Sabres and spend the money to keep them BOTH!

But its more likely that we end up spending another 1st on a CB.
      How can they afford to spend all that money on both? If the NFL CBA is completed this offseason, then they can. But if it's not done by then, their isn't enough salary cap room to re-sign both.

Comment

• MarvLevy
        Can I get some power to give REP?
        • Jul 2005

HOW MANY GREAT RETURNERS IN THE NFL START AND PLAY THE WHOLE GAME? ITS TOUGH TO DO.
        IE, DRUMMOND, CHAD MORTON, DANTE HALL, PONDER.. THESE GUYS ARE FRESH.

Comment

• Michael82
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by MarvLevy
          HOW MANY GREAT RETURNERS IN THE NFL START AND PLAY THE WHOLE GAME? ITS TOUGH TO DO.
          IE, DRUMMOND, CHAD MORTON, DANTE HALL, PONDER.. THESE GUYS ARE FRESH.
          Okay, so we need to keep him as the #2 CB and sign a new #1 CB?

Comment

• BillsFever21
            • Aug 2004

McGee is good but no better then a #2. Don't be gullable. We should sign him to a modest extension.

Nate covers the top guys. If McGee went up against the Johnson's and Owens' on a weekly basis it would be a different story.

McGee is worth a 4yr-12 million dollar extension with a 4 million dollar bonus.

Comment

• OpIv37
              Acid Douching Asswipe
              • Sep 2002

we need both. If Clements leaves, we need someone on his level to replace him.
              MiKiDo Facebook
              MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Lexwhat
                • Feb 2005

Originally posted by BillsFever21
                McGee is good but no better then a #2. Don't be gullable. We should sign him to a modest extension.

Nate covers the top guys. If McGee went up against the Johnson's and Owens' on a weekly basis it would be a different story.

McGee is worth a 4yr-12 million dollar extension with a 4 million dollar bonus.
                I agree.

Comment

• Michael82
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by OpIv37
                  we need both. If Clements leaves, we need someone on his level to replace him.
                  I agree with that. I feel that we are going to lose Clements and spend his money on both Terrence McGee AND Willis McGahee. I prefer that move. But like you said, they gotta also toss some money to a big CB to replace Clements too.

Comment

• BillsFever21
                    • Aug 2004

Plus there is no need to hurry on an extension for McGahee. We still have him for two more seasons after this year.

I'd rather sign Nate then Willis if it came down between them two. It's a lot easier to find a good RB then a shutdown CB, plus the life of a RB is very short.

With a few exceptions, RB's are useless after 30 years old. They hit the wall at that age. I wouldn't wanna sign a RB at 26(which Willis will be when his contract ends) to a multi year extension for major bucks. After 3 years he would most likey not be the same player. Their prime is from 23-28. Plus we can always just franchise him for another year to keep him. So basically we can have him for 3 more seasons after this.

That's why a lot of good RB's hold out and try to get an extension because they know they don't get that extra contract when they're 28-29 like other positions will get. Nobody is willing to sign a 27 year old RB to a 7 year deal because there is no way they will hold up that long and they are easily replaceable.

Comment

• Sportsuser101
                      • Feb 2005

Terrence McGee as a #1 corner doesn't seem like a good idea.
                      Dareus - 1st Round Pick

Comment

• Devin
                        The Octagon
                        • Apr 2003

I am not convinced McGee can be a #1 corner, I think he is good because of the play of those around him. Im not saying hes bad, but hes a small dude, and having Nate on te other side is good for him.

At 5'9 and as tiny as he is do you think McGee could cover TO, Chad Johnson, Hines Ward ....etc?
                        http://gridironjunkies.net/forums/index.php

Comment

• TacklingDummy
                          Unreachable Douche
                          • Jul 2002

Clements has to stay. He help's the piss poor pass rush the Bills get by being a awesome cover guy.

But like many, I think he will be gone to, especially if TD is still the GM.

Comment

• BillsFever21
                            • Aug 2004

I agree with that. I feel that we are going to lose Clements and spend his money on both Terrence McGee AND Willis McGahee. I prefer that move. But like you said, they gotta also toss some money to a big CB to replace Clements too.
                            There is no rush to extend McGahee. He is still under contract for the next two seasons and we could always franchise him for another season which gives us 3 years.

A four year extension is fine but if he's looking for a 7 year deal with a mega bonus which you know he will then pass on it and trade him at 27 to somebody who is willing to give it to him. RB's breakdown at a young age and are easy to replace.

Comment

• BillsFever21
                              • Aug 2004

Hey Mikey do you ever look at your trade requests? I'm checking to see if you're interested in Eli Manning in the HRL. It looks as if you could use a better QB.

Comment

Working...
                              X