PDA

View Full Version : Phillip Rivers?

Tiburon1724
10-20-2005, 07:43 PM
San Diego is obviously going to get rid of Rivers. How do you think he'd fit in with the Bills and what do you think are the chances they'd go after him? I'd say hands down he's a better option than Losman or Holcomb.

AndreReed83
10-20-2005, 07:47 PM
And what do we give up for him? And how do we know he would be a better option? At least JP has played in a few regular season games AND spent almost a year and a half in the Bills system now. I don't think getting a new QB for the Bills is an non-issue.

BillsFever21
10-20-2005, 07:47 PM
Not a chance in hell. He isn't anymore proven then Losman.

Lets trade for him and after 4 games bench him for a journeymen who gives us a better chance right now?

If this is the theory of our organization then unless you trade or sign a proven QB in FA you will always have a veteran journeymen QB who will give you a better chance then a 24 year old QB after 4 starts.

Lexwhat
10-20-2005, 07:48 PM
I think it would depend on what our draft position is going to be. When it's all said and done, I think we will be close to a 9-7 record. Many things could happen over the course of the season. I wouldnt mind taking a chance on Rivers, and think it would be worth it to spend a 1st round pick on him, or a little more. Even though we already spent a lot on JP, it would be worth it to find a franchise QB.

With that being said, I'm sure there will be PLENTY of competition from teams trying to get Rivers. I doubt Donohoe would be the one to finally land him.

DraftBoy
10-20-2005, 07:49 PM
While Im not against the move should he not cost an arm and a leg, something like a 3rd and a player. Im also not sure he'd be better than Losman but solid competition never hurt anybody, and Rivers is still really young and really hungry to play. He has similar speed, same personal characteristics, leadership qualities, and lacks a little in the arm strength but was deadly accurate in college. To be honest I dont see any harm in it, considering we've already benched Losman sending a clear message to him, that we are not satisfied, maybe its time to light a fire under his ass.

BillsFever21
10-20-2005, 07:52 PM
Rivers would command more then a 3rd round pick. There is no way they would let him go for less then then an early 2nd.

I still think they might trade Brees and go with Rivers. It would cost them a lot of money to get rid of him with his signing bonus.

They could get a 1st for Brees and a 2nd for Rivers. No way Rivers goes for a 3rd round pick. Every team would jump on that one.

The_Philster
10-20-2005, 07:56 PM
I'd say hands down he's a better option than Losman or Holcomb.:scratch: Care to share with us what you base that on? He's played less than JP

Lexwhat
10-20-2005, 07:57 PM
While Im not against the move should he not cost an arm and a leg, something like a 3rd and a player. Im also not sure he'd be better than Losman but solid competition never hurt anybody, and Rivers is still really young and really hungry to play. He has similar speed, same personal characteristics, leadership qualities, and lacks a little in the arm strength but was deadly accurate in college. To be honest I dont see any harm in it, considering we've already benched Losman sending a clear message to him, that we are not satisfied, maybe its time to light a fire under his ass.

I think San Diego will want AT LEAST a 1st round pick. There are plenty of teams with needs at QB:

1. NY Jets
2. Miami Dolphins
3. Baltimore Ravens
4. Cleveland Browns
5. Chicago Bears, perhaps?
6. Detroit Lions
7. Arizona Cardinals

I think the Jets or Lions may end up snatching Rivers. I think Baltimore, Cleveland, and Arizona will address it through the draft. As for Miami and Chicago, I'm not sure. Rivers wont get traded until after the season is over anyways.

TacklingDummy
10-20-2005, 08:00 PM
They could get a 1st for Brees and a 2nd for Rivers. No way Rivers goes for a 3rd round pick. Every team would jump on that one.
Try and make a 3-way trade. JP and a #2 for Rivers, then SD can ship off JP to another team for a 2nd rounder.

OpIv37
10-20-2005, 08:08 PM
Hell no. First of all, it will probably be too early to give up on JP- I'm saying that assuming he doesn't come in at some point this year and completely blow it. Second, I don't want ANOTHER unproven quarterback. If the Bills brass does reverse field on JP, they need to bring in a guy that has some history and that we know can play.

Captain gameboy
10-20-2005, 08:20 PM
No way we have the room to go after Rivers.

He is worth a first by a team needing a QB,
He has more maturity than anyone coming out this year.

I'd take him over JP in a minute.

The story of next year's draft will be Rivers, unless the Chargers decide to keep him. They have the room to do so.

But.....If I was Marty, and thank God that my playoff record is better, I unload him for the last piece in the San Diego puzzle.

Bottom line. Phillip Rivers is the same as when he came out, except he has two years of study under his belt.

Extremely valuable, but extremely expensive.
Not in the Bills future.

DraftBoy
10-20-2005, 08:27 PM
I dont think any of those teams listed above can even afford to give up a 1st for Rivers, they have many more holes along with QB. Im not saying I advocate a deal but Im certainly not against bringing in more competition, we cannot go with a veteran forever, at one point we need to make a commitment to a young QB from start to finish.

X-Era
10-20-2005, 08:29 PM
I think it would depend on what our draft position is going to be. When it's all said and done, I think we will be close to a 9-7 record. Many things could happen over the course of the season. I wouldnt mind taking a chance on Rivers, and think it would be worth it to spend a 1st round pick on him, or a little more. Even though we already spent a lot on JP, it would be worth it to find a franchise QB.

With that being said, I'm sure there will be PLENTY of competition from teams trying to get Rivers. I doubt Donohoe would be the one to finally land him.

Id much rather have Brees but it aint gonna happen. Yeah, Id trade for him and let training camp decide who wins the job.

Many here would go bezerk at having that much tied up in 2 QB's whne 1 will sit the bench.

juice
10-20-2005, 08:29 PM
The story of next year's draft will be Rivers, unless the Chargers decide to keep him.I think the 2 kids outta USC will be a bigger Draft day story than Rivers.

THATHURMANATOR
10-21-2005, 12:03 AM
San Diego is obviously going to get rid of Rivers. How do you think he'd fit in with the Bills and what do you think are the chances they'd go after him? I'd say hands down he's a better option than Losman or Holcomb.

You say this hands down because all the experience Rivers has had??? Or how good he has looked in the NFL so far?

Come on man stop with the stupid posts!

sba
10-21-2005, 12:16 AM
I think Brees is a UFA after this season.

slakjaw157
10-21-2005, 12:19 AM
Not gonna happen.

Jan Reimers
10-21-2005, 05:01 AM
Yeah, let's jump to Rivers, who hasn't played at all, and after he has 4 poor games, let's jump to Matt Schaub, who's had one good game in relief of Vick, and after he has 4 poor games, let's jump to . . .

This isn't Fantasy Football, where you get to change players like you get to change your underwear. And in case nobody has noticed, most of the great QBs in this league took more than 4 games to develop.

If you've given up on JP at this stage in his career, I suggest you throw a couple more Hot Pockets in the microwave, fire up your XBox, and wait for your school bus to take you to junior high.

TheGhostofJimKelly
10-21-2005, 05:37 AM
My two favorite posts are:

1. Drunk posts
2. Posts by kids under 12

ItsNoGood
10-21-2005, 05:38 AM
mark it down, Rivers to the Jets in the offseason.

Stewie
10-21-2005, 06:49 AM
Stupid, stupid idea.

Not a chance in hell it will happen.

alohabillsfan
10-21-2005, 07:37 AM
WOW what a dilemma. Pay 14 mil bonus for 2 years of clip board holding? thats a 10 mil cap hit next year to trade rivers. plus they would have to re-sign brees which will not be cheap. I really do not envy SD CAP wise it's great to trade brees and het something (1st rd pick) and pray Rivers pans out if he does not the club looks like idiots.

P.S. Rives to the JETS-re-united in NY with ELI

mysticsoto
10-21-2005, 07:59 AM
My two favorite posts are:

1. Drunk posts
2. Posts by kids under 12

Really? 12? I was thinking younger...

SABURZFAN
10-21-2005, 08:04 AM

we've given up enough to get losman in the same draft.let's not get carried away when neither has proven to be a winner in the NFL.

SABURZFAN
10-21-2005, 08:05 AM
Really? 12? I was thinking younger...

i bet you do. :up: