PDA

View Full Version : How stupid is this thought?

X-Era
10-21-2005, 06:42 PM
Make a new tag in the league that would allow a team to designate one player as a franchise player. I cant think of a better term than franchise player and I know its already used.

But, heres the deal:

1) The team MUST pay the player the average of the top 5 players at that position at a minimum (theres more see #3).
2) The team can only label one player as such and cannot change the title to someone else until that player leaves the team by release, trade, or retirement
3) The team can pay that player any dollar figure not to exceed 10% over the highest paid player at that position at a maximum.
4) in return the team does NOT have to count ANY of that players salary towards their salary cap.
5) maybe the team also has to forfeit a draft pick to do this or something.

Why does this make sense?

1) It would allow teams the ability to keep their one star without suffering from the hefty cap hit.
2) it would allow a star player to stay with the team that drafted him for his entire career and get paid appropriately for their level of talent at their position without fear of having to leave the team they love because of cap issues.
3) The fans get to embrace that one star player and can stand behind him without fear of him leaving.

I dont claim that it is a perfect system but maybe it helps keep the star players where they belong the most and gets us back to pseudo dynasties.

X-Era
10-22-2005, 01:34 PM
Make a new tag in the league that would allow a team to designate one player as a franchise player. I cant think of a better term than franchise player and I know its already used.

But, heres the deal:

1) The team MUST pay the player the average of the top 5 players at that position at a minimum (theres more see #3).
2) The team can only label one player as such and cannot change the title to someone else until that player leaves the team by release, trade, or retirement
3) The team can pay that player any dollar figure not to exceed 10% over the highest paid player at that position at a maximum.
4) in return the team does NOT have to count ANY of that players salary towards their salary cap.
5) maybe the team also has to forfeit a draft pick to do this or something.

Why does this make sense?

1) It would allow teams the ability to keep their one star without suffering from the hefty cap hit.
2) it would allow a star player to stay with the team that drafted him for his entire career and get paid appropriately for their level of talent at their position without fear of having to leave the team they love because of cap issues.
3) The fans get to embrace that one star player and can stand behind him without fear of him leaving.

I dont claim that it is a perfect system but maybe it helps keep the star players where they belong the most and gets us back to pseudo dynasties.

Who negged me on this?

This is a football related thought and it got negged?

Gheez, at least have some nards to come and fess up.

You caught me off guard. I usually could care less about criticism but this one actually ticked me off a touch.

EDS
10-22-2005, 02:33 PM
It doesn't work because it essentially makes a mockery of the salary cap. I agree, however, that there would be some benefit to having a mechanism in place that allows a team to keep a player with his original franchise. Maybe something like in basketball where a team can go over the cap to sign its own free agent.

The biggest problem with any proposal like this is that it really favors the large market clubs with lots of revenue. Small market clubs, like the Bills, might have more difficulty with the extra financial outlays.