PDA

View Full Version : McGahee or Clements

Marvelous
10-22-2005, 03:18 AM
Sorry in advance if this was posted already in the last week or two.....

If it came down to it and TD could only resign/extend one, which one do we build around for the next 4-5 years to come??

I say Hands down -Clements. \
Here's why. A CB with NC's skills with tackling, awareness,hands,coverage etc are very very rare and take years to develope if you do get a stud CB in the draft.. With Willis McGahee he is a beast but stud RB's are more common. I would say there's a prioduct of the offense around them esp the O-line but then the same case would be for Clements.... Even when Willis is lighting it up/ on fire i'd still settle for Nate... Kinda hard to pick Nate now because all we have is Shaud and that's not gonna get us far.....

IMO we should resign Nate long term and force Willis to play the last year of his contract out and only resign him if it's reasonable...

-Do you guys honestly think he will resign anykind of affordable contract? CMON! H ehas the ego the size of Ali.. Ask him & he will tell you who the best RB is.. IMO he will want to much money.... I like WM alot and me & the wife rock his jersey but Clements is on a superstar level and means more to our overall success...............................

thoughts?

Sportsuser101
10-22-2005, 05:34 AM
Good RBs are dime a dozen and have a very small shelf life. Good CBs aren't a dime a dozen and are very rare and also have a longer productive career then RBs. As good as I think McGahee is going to be I'd much rather have Clements.

YardRat
10-22-2005, 06:19 AM
Clements isn't worth the money he's going to be asking for...save it and give it to McGee.

If McGahee is going to ask for #1 RB in the NFL-type money, which he already believes he is, then let him go too.

Putting too many cookies in one guys jar, no matter what position he plays, only weakens other positions on the team, and one guy ain't gonna carry you to victory in the big game.

HHURRICANE
10-22-2005, 08:46 AM
Can you remember one CB that helped there team win a SB. Can you remember a RB that won there team a SB. You can remember the RB because on 3rd and 2 that may be the game breaker. Great teams having great RB's. Period. If I'm not mistaken Winfield was one of the best in the League and now the Vikings have a SB win. Ooops, guess not. Yeah, I'm sure the Cowboys were itching to cut Emmitt in his prime. People you have to build a team around some superstars if you want a SB. You have a great RB. It's a start.

capitolneal
10-22-2005, 08:59 AM
Can you remember one CB that helped there team win a SB. Can you remember a RB that won there team a SB. You can remember the RB because on 3rd and 2 that may be the game breaker. Great teams having great RB's. Period. If I'm not mistaken Winfield was one of the best in the League and now the Vikings have a SB win. Ooops, guess not. Yeah, I'm sure the Cowboys were itching to cut Emmitt in his prime. People you have to build a team around some superstars if you want a SB. You have a great RB. It's a start.
But in the same token the league has changed since Emmit, wasn't that bith the Colts and Seahawks asking for 2nd and 3rd round picks for arguably 2 of the 3 best backs in the league? Sign Clements and Run Defense wins champinships and runningbacks are a easy pick-up now a days

X-Era
10-22-2005, 09:01 AM
Sorry in advance if this was posted already in the last week or two.....

If it came down to it and TD could only resign/extend one, which one do we build around for the next 4-5 years to come??

I say Hands down -Clements. \
Here's why. A CB with NC's skills with tackling, awareness,hands,coverage etc are very very rare and take years to develope if you do get a stud CB in the draft.. With Willis McGahee he is a beast but stud RB's are more common. I would say there's a prioduct of the offense around them esp the O-line but then the same case would be for Clements.... Even when Willis is lighting it up/ on fire i'd still settle for Nate... Kinda hard to pick Nate now because all we have is Shaud and that's not gonna get us far.....

IMO we should resign Nate long term and force Willis to play the last year of his contract out and only resign him if it's reasonable...

-Do you guys honestly think he will resign anykind of affordable contract? CMON! H ehas the ego the size of Ali.. Ask him & he will tell you who the best RB is.. IMO he will want to much money.... I like WM alot and me & the wife rock his jersey but Clements is on a superstar level and means more to our overall success...............................

thoughts?

This is a very tough one. I seriously couldnt complain either way.

But, I think Id have to go with McGahee. The emergence of McGee would allow us to let Clements go if we could replace him with another young CB. In that case we would have what we had the past few years, a solid CB and then a young up and comer.

Furthermore, to me it comes down to a numbers game. There is only one RB in on most plays and that guy carries the rock. Yet there are 2 CB's a FS, and a SS usually which can "cover" for a secondary weakness.

For a team that just wont build a great o-line, the RB position becomes even more critical. The running game enables the pass and keeps the D honest. They cant just pin their ears back and blitz.

Now add in the fact that McGahee in his second year is a top 5 RB in this league and that he will only get better, I say Clements would be the one to go.

I would feel different if we had, say Cadillac Williams in the wings but we dont.

STAMPY
10-22-2005, 09:04 AM
I rather pay Willis. With the new rules. There is no such thing as a shut down corner in game

X-Era
10-22-2005, 09:15 AM
I rather pay Willis. With the new rules. There is no such thing as a shut down corner in game

Thats a great point!

The CB's are so damn restricted that the upper eschelon players cant fully use their talents and thus arent too much better than your average CB's.

Dozerdog
10-22-2005, 09:30 AM
I'd rather have a player that keeps Randy Moss/ Terrell Owens on the bench rather than one who can possibly "contain" one of them on the field.

13 play, 7 minute scoring drives are the best defense in football. Ask Marv Levy after Superbowl XXV

Dozerdog
10-22-2005, 09:34 AM
But in the same token the league has changed since Emmit, wasn't that bith the Colts and Seahawks asking for 2nd and 3rd round picks for arguably 2 of the 3 best backs in the league? Sign Clements and Run Defense wins champinships and runningbacks are a easy pick-up now a days

The reason they were shopped for such low asking prices was the 9 million in cap space a team needed to get them.

If they were making Travis henry money they could have received a coupe of picks for them. But then again- they would not have been traded. The picks asked had nothing to do with talent level.

X-Era
10-22-2005, 09:36 AM
I'd rather have a player that keeps Randy Moss/ Terrell Owens on the bench rather than one who can possibly "contain" one of them on the field.

13 play, 7 minute scoring drives are the best defense in football. Ask Marv Levy after Superbowl XXV

Dude, I cant change my title under my name, give Rep points, and I dont see zone bucks anymore.

Am I doing something worng?

Dozerdog
10-22-2005, 09:48 AM
Dude, I cant change my title under my name, give Rep points, and I dont see zone bucks anymore.

Am I doing something worng?

No- this is happening to everyone- the board was upgraded last week and all the features have to be re- installed. LordOfGun is slowly putting them back in.

However- if I had a choice between LoG & McGahee- I'd take McGahee.

LtFinFan66
10-22-2005, 09:56 AM
Keep Willis and send us Nate

Typ0
10-22-2005, 10:25 AM
To me...it comes down to what choices make the team better. If McGahee keeps putting up the numbers he is...we probably can get a lot for him. There also is the risk that he's had a serious injury and if he takes an injury to that knee will he be able to recover? The guy is a back and his job is to get banged up. So if we could build a really good draft around moving him that might be the choice that makes the team better than having him here. Remember also, that backs don't take time to develop like other players.

Clements might just want more than he's worth...and he might be able to also get us something nice in return. So it's not really going to be a one or the other type of choice IMO. Each player will be evaulated on what they bring to the table at the position they are at.

X-Era
10-22-2005, 10:42 AM
To me...it comes down to what choices make the team better. If McGahee keeps putting up the numbers he is...we probably can get a lot for him. There also is the risk that he's had a serious injury and if he takes an injury to that knee will he be able to recover? The guy is a back and his job is to get banged up. So if we could build a really good draft around moving him that might be the choice that makes the team better than having him here. Remember also, that backs don't take time to develop like other players.

Clements might just want more than he's worth...and he might be able to also get us something nice in return. So it's not really going to be a one or the other type of choice IMO. Each player will be evaulated on what they bring to the table at the position they are at.

I think your exactly right. I just responded to the context of the thread, if you had to choose.

I hope there is a way to keep both.

If Indy can keep Peyton, Marvin, James, and now Corey Simon why is it we cant keep McGahee AND Clements?

The last buffalo fan
10-22-2005, 11:58 AM

:king:

Man, it was sick, rude, hard and sad...................but true, I'm afraid.

Crisis
10-22-2005, 12:54 PM
Defense wins championships.

If we can get a good OL it won't matter who's running behind it.

Sportsuser101
10-22-2005, 02:22 PM

Are you actually comparing Clements with Winfield? 1 thing about Emmitt was that it wasn't all Emmitt. It was the offensive line and it was the great defense that won them the superbowls. Here's a question.. what wins championships?

Lexwhat
10-22-2005, 03:54 PM
This is a very tough one. I seriously couldnt complain either way.

But, I think Id have to go with McGahee. The emergence of McGee would allow us to let Clements go if we could replace him with another young CB. In that case we would have what we had the past few years, a solid CB and then a young up and comer.

Furthermore, to me it comes down to a numbers game. There is only one RB in on most plays and that guy carries the rock. Yet there are 2 CB's a FS, and a SS usually which can "cover" for a secondary weakness.

For a team that just wont build a great o-line, the RB position becomes even more critical. The running game enables the pass and keeps the D honest. They cant just pin their ears back and blitz.

Now add in the fact that McGahee in his second year is a top 5 RB in this league and that he will only get better, I say Clements would be the one to go.

I would feel different if we had, say Cadillac Williams in the wings but we dont.

I agree JP-era. I mean it's true what most people are saying, that good running backs come and go much easier than good CBs. However, Willis isnt just a "good RB." Willis is turning into an elite one, definetly top 5 at that position. It's easy to find a 1000 yard rusher, thats true, but thats not the point. Finding a game breaker RB is tough to do. Finding an LT, finding a Shaun Alexander, finding a Cadillac Williams is hard to do. Why do you think 3 RBs got drafted in the top 5 picks in the draft this year?? RB is still a very important position and finding a good one is hard to do. Just because the RB rushes for 1000 yards doesnt mean a team cant get better. The 1000 yard season is overhyped, IMO.

Look what is happening to NE Patriots when Dillon is struggling. They are not able to control the game as well and their record is 3-3. And it's silly to compare ourself to Denver and their RBs. If it was that easy, then there would be LOTS of other teams in the NFL doing what they do. Denver has the coaching staff and players to run that scheme. On the flipside, if anyone could accomplish what the Patriots accomplished against the Colts with their secondary group, then every team would do that too. The fact is, we are neither the Patriots nor the Broncos. We can't run their schemes.

I would be sad to see Nate go and would be sad to see Willis go. Neither will be replaced. We would lose talent regardless. I doubt our replacement would have the same skills. But if I had to choose, I would keep Willis. With good technique and some defensive creativity, I think it's possible to loosely patch up the hole left by Clements departure. Signing a less-talented physical-Corner and a good DT would be that patch-up for our defense. We could make due with that, IMO. But letting Willis go would destory our entire offense.

An offensive-line is expensive to build, and I guess I have come to believe that we will never put money into it with TD. HOWEVER, if we can find a free-agent or 2 and they turn out to be as good as Mike Gandy, then I can't complain. Who cares if they come from the trash heap, as long as they can play? But my point is, imagine a good running back COMBINED with a good offensive-line. It would be even nicer. That's why I said before, I hate to see Nate go, but with the same money, we can put that into a good DT and a good O-Guard for the same money and accmplish more.

Just my 2 cents. It's a tough question.

Crisis
10-22-2005, 04:22 PM
Can you remember one CB that helped there team win a SB.

Ty Law?

STAMPY
10-22-2005, 04:24 PM
Ty Law?

it wasn't just ty law. ne won as a defensive unit

Crisis
10-22-2005, 04:25 PM
it wasn't just ty law. ne won as a defensive unit

Didn't Ty Law return an INT for a TD in NE's first of 3? They don't win without that.

Ty Law also shut down the Colts passing game a couple years ago.

Marvelous
10-22-2005, 06:24 PM
No way is Mcgee close to Clements level. If Mcgee continues to improve, it will be 2 more season before he is a #1 cb. Atleast a shutdown corner...

That's BS that shutdown corners lost all value because of rule changes. That's a WEAK argument to choose Mcgahee...

- Also a perk that Clements is proven to be a healthy player.(knockONwood)

-Do we even know if Clements wants; to be paid like the best, or is it asumption because he hasn't been resigned..

-Imo if we continue to upgrade our O-line then we can put a young kid in there and groom him.. I'm very comfy with our blitzing scheme that leaves only cover 1, knowing we have Nate back there.. Also: i get worried almost every time McGahee gets tackled.......

Night Train
10-22-2005, 07:00 PM
Clemets wants the $$ that Champ Bailey received from Denver, which is 7 years - 60+ Mil with a huge signing bonus.

Is he worth that kind of $$ ? :jawdrop:

The last buffalo fan
10-22-2005, 07:38 PM
Clemets wants the $$ that Champ Bailey received from Denver, which is 7 years - 60+ Mil with a huge signing bonus.

Is he worth that kind of $$ ? :jawdrop:

Of course NOOO!!! Like most of the people here said, this is a game, and the players should play, for only the proud of just represent a community (I'm afraid that I live, in the wrong world I guess!!), if they want to make business, it's up to them. They should start now, to show some love, for the city that put them on the spotlight. He is an great player, but with the money that he wants, we could get at least four excellent players, there is no way, that I should give the guy the big bucks.

Marvelous
10-22-2005, 09:27 PM
Huge contracts + bonuses are all part of the game.. It can say $60 mill but there's no way the player will see 60 mill of it.. It will be structured so it's backloaded. After 4 years when it's like 10 mill a year then we restructure again.. Cmon people, how do you think all these other teams keep the best players in the NFL at their positions and still field a good team..

Clump, can you give a breakdown on how big contracts can be structered so our hands arent tied??

vicmantak
10-23-2005, 08:55 AM
If Bills are going to pay the big money on a few players --- I would say keep both and release MIKE WILLIAMS and Eric Moulds.