PDA

View Full Version : Bills simply not a playoff caliber team

vicmantak
10-23-2005, 09:26 AM
By Mark Weiler

First, under what circumstances does starting a totally inexperienced QB give any team their best chances of winning insofar as QB play is concerned?

Secondly, and dependent upon your answer to the first question, why was it such an urgency to trade away two picks, one nice 2nd-rounder along with a very viable (for most teams) 5th-rounder in order to obtain JP Losman in last year's draft? In other words, what was the urgency, as stated by you at the time, in drafting Losman? Could the Bills have not put an '04 2nd and 5th rounders coupled with an '05 1st-rounder to better use in the interests of "our best chances of winning this season?" As well, Aaron Rodgers was available with that selection this year.

Thirdly, at what point does a QB with minimal to no experience "give their team the best chances of winning?" Namely, after how many seasons of watching below average QBs ahead of him?

Lastly, so many of your critical assessments of the team appear to be so far off base that they would be laughable if it were not such a travesty and disaster. Millions wasted on Bledsoe with the mistake repeated, continued suggestions that the offensive line is anything other than offensive, the "Losman situation" now insofar as this season goes, the defensive line, extremely questionable coaching and play-calling, etc. How do you reconcile and justify these gross errors in judgement that essentially boil down to the primary reasons why the Bills are bad?"

http://billsbuzz.com/billsbuzz/pages/artic...-2005-10-21.htm

ParanoidAndroid
10-23-2005, 09:44 AM
The Bills aren't a playoff team. This much is clear. I would not, however, agree with his assessment of the Losman deal or his implications that there has been no progress in building an offensive line.
He's right to be skeptical of the Bills' chances of success this year, but to suggest there was no urgency to get our future QB when he acknowledges that returning to Bledsoe was a repeated mistake, is just plain shortsighted. Who could have predicted that JP would be lost for most of the season last year, killing his chances for game experience before taking the starting job. Mularkey and Donahoe decided to continue with the original plan, but brought in Holcomb as an insurance policy and they were smart to do so. JP will get some more game experience, more reps in practice and get another shot to be the undisputed starter opening Sunday next year.
Hind sight is 20/20, Mark.

Typ0
10-23-2005, 09:50 AM
KH was not an insurace policy. EVERY team needs two QBs on their roster they can win with...from what I'm seeing we only have one at this point.

Michael82
10-23-2005, 09:57 AM
I'm not going to say a thing.... :gag:

YardRat
10-23-2005, 10:10 AM
I'll concede the point that we're not a play-off team when we're actually mathematically eliminated.

Michael82
10-23-2005, 10:13 AM
I'll concede the point that we're not a play-off team when we're actually mathematically eliminated.
:hi5:

Iehoshua
10-23-2005, 10:14 AM
Amen to that.

Typ0
10-23-2005, 10:21 AM
If we find a way to win the next two games we will be headed to the playoffs. Let's worry about Oakland first.

X-Era
10-23-2005, 11:30 AM
The Bills aren't a playoff team. This much is clear. I would not, however, agree with his assessment of the Losman deal or his implications that there has been no progress in building an offensive line.
He's right to be skeptical of the Bills' chances of success this year, but to suggest there was no urgency to get our future QB when he acknowledges that returning to Bledsoe was a repeated mistake, is just plain shortsighted. Who could have predicted that JP would be lost for most of the season last year, killing his chances for game experience before taking the starting job. Mularkey and Donahoe decided to continue with the original plan, but brought in Holcomb as an insurance policy and they were smart to do so. JP will get some more game experience, more reps in practice and get another shot to be the undisputed starter opening Sunday next year.
Hind sight is 20/20, Mark.

As someone who firmly believes that we are not a playoff team, I actually am going to agree with TypO and Yardrat here.

As far as the playoffs go, we are every bit in it right now and there is no reason to think otherwise until it happens.

I see every reason to root for the Bills to go to the playoffs. The Jets and Fins just plain suck and the Pats are very beatable. This division can be won by us.

As a die hard Bills fan, I am going to root for the team and going to the playoffs no matter who we have at QB. I may have a different opinion on who that guy should be but it isnt up to me, and the Bills are winning. That means we really cant complain. Will we later? probably. By maybe, just maybe, we wont and we end up with a SB win. You never know.

Go Bills and go Holcomb (for now).

X-Era
10-23-2005, 11:32 AM
If we find a way to win the next two games we will be headed to the playoffs. Let's worry about Oakland first.

That I dont see. If we win those games we have 5 wins, it will take at least 9 and probably 10. So at a minimum we have to beat the Fins and Jets in their stadiums, and then have 2 more wins. The rest of our schedule is VERY tough. Could we go? sure. But we can write it down as a sure thing if we win the next 2? I dont see that.

Cntrygal
10-23-2005, 11:34 AM

:10:

Typ0
10-23-2005, 11:41 AM
That I dont see. If we win those games we have 5 wins, it will take at least 9 and probably 10. So at a minimum we have to beat the Fins and Jets in their stadiums, and then have 2 more wins. The rest of our schedule is VERY tough. Could we go? sure. But we can write it down as a sure thing if we win the next 2? I dont see that.

in nautical terms...we need to win the next two games to have the correct bearing to the playoffs. Basically, what I'm trying to say is today is a must win.

OpIv37
10-23-2005, 12:19 PM
:deadhorse:

I don't want to bash the guy too much cuz I got along with him when we watched games together a few years ago. But it seems to me that he applies cynicism to common knowledge and attempts to pass it off as an original thought.

Captain gameboy
10-23-2005, 12:35 PM
We are not a playoff team.

This is not playoff time.

Let's see what develops.

Super Bowls are not won during training camp. The season is an evolution. Right now, we are an 8-8 team. The Astros' record was much worse in the early season.

Give the pessimism a rest and enjoy the season.

Devin
10-23-2005, 12:41 PM
I have a hard time (regardless of what anyone who knows him says) that this guy is a Bills fan.

BSXIII
10-23-2005, 01:43 PM
I have a hard time (regardless of what anyone who knows him says) that this guy is a Bills fan.

I agree. The guy is an embarrassment to real Bills fans everywhere. Hopefully the Yahoo Sports Bills page doesn’t have links to articles anymore. The last thing I want is the rest of the country reading his crap and thinking all Bills fans think like that.