• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

Tweak the offense, rebuild the defense

I never thought I'd be saying this, but our offense is a pass-blocker or two away from being very good. Get Losman up to speed and bring in an o-lineman and a TE with some YAC ability, and we're good to go.

The Defense is completely screwed. Milloy and Vincent are old, and it's starting to show in Milloy's case. McGee is coming around nicely but he'll always be a #2 corner and will look horrible when Clements is gone (notice my intentional choice of preposition). The D-line is just awful. Hopefully the LB's will be ok when Spikes returns, but Posey is not a playmaker. I see him on the field but I rarely hear the announcers call his name (unless he catches an RB from behind after a 12 yard run). Crowell just might take his starting job. Greer and King are works in progress, but we need some veterans until they prove themselves.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website
  • Lexwhat
    • Feb 2005

Re: Tweak the offense, rebuild the defense

Let me cut and paste this:

You are absolutely right. I agree with you 100%. Some people think we can beat NE next weekend at their stadium. It's not going to happen. I said that if Corey Dillon has a decent day, it's over for us. Well, he's gonna have more than a "decent day." This game was the first of the season that we solely lost because of the defense.

I agree, let Kelly Holcomb play next weekend, and then if we lose like I think we will, it's time to put a wrap on this season and let JP take over. We actually have plenty of holes to take care of. Including are:

1. Obtain 2 new stud guards. Move Gandy over to RT and hopefully have Jason Peters ready for next season. This would mean cutting Mike Williams and his fat salary. In fact, I say we start using Peters more this year at LT and give him plenty of reps.

2. Obtain at least 1 stud DT, if possible. Or at least a big body that can stop the run. Even then, we need to solidify our depth too at this position.

3. Our safetys are getting old. Lawyer Milloy got handled today against Lamont Jordan. I dont blame him though, he's too damn old. Look for more of the same to happen throughout the year. I hope there's some safetys in next year's draft.

4. Obtain a new LB. Either move Spikes to MLB next year or sign a new MLB. Presently, our LBs are simply too slow. Oh yea, and get rid of Posey.

5. Obtain a big CB that is physical. Or at least a smaller one that's physical. The softness of our CBs today, especially with Randy Moss not playing much, was embarassing.

6. We need a stud WR, no doubt about it. Our WR core is simply average. One elite receiver would do wonders for our passing game. I would give Clements up for one.

7. After thinking about it for a long time, perhaps it's not worth it to sign Clements to a long term extension. Not because of today's game, but because of the overall state of our O-Line and D-Line.

8. Of course, all these things are easier said than done. But it can happen. Realistically though, the only way I see it happening is with an overhaul of the coaching staff and the new coach doing things his way. So, peace Mike Mularkey.

Comment

• Kerr
      Hall of Fame Zoner
      • Feb 2005

I concur.

Comment

• The_Philster
        • Jul 2002

The TE you're looking for is on the PUP list with all luck
        The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!

Comment

• Lexwhat
          • Feb 2005

Basically, I believe the same thing. We need to fix up the guard position (No Push in goal-line situations, sadly). Secondly, we need a new stud WR. Eric Moulds and Lee Evans play hard I guess, but they are just not talented enough, IMO.

Dont neg-rep for this (Well, actually you can, if you want) but if letting Nate Clements go and picking up a cut TO, I would do it. Ok maybe not, but you know what? I wish someone on our team would start acting like TO and bash this organization. No one seems to be holding themselves accountable.

The player I really hope to obtain is Brian Westbrook. A player of his caliber would take a lot of pressure off an opposing team's pass rush. However, it would take a smart O-Coordinator to use his ability's with Willis's. So basically, find someone who can do it!

Comment

• colin
            Drew's my hero!
            • Jul 2002

1 or 2 interior D linemen, a young safety or 2 to develope (unless we cut milloy, vincent can still play).

we'd be better off resigning clements than letting him go, but obviously if he wants too much we can't.

i don't think we need too much more on D, but we have lost some very very good players:

spikes
            pat williams
            antione
            edwards (not that good, but our guys after him are crap)

so we just have to get some youth at safety and DT.

by far the biggest thing we have to correct is our coaching. we don't have guys who can make changes.

we always dominate to start, but then suck. we come into the game with one thing prepared, and if it doesn't work we fail.

we came out with this cutesy slow to develop passing game in mind, hoping to exploit the slow raiders LBs, and this hyper blitzing D hoping to make collins turn the ball over.

worked great for one series each, then the raiders made the simple adjustments any pro team would make, and we just did the same old crap that didn't work anymore.

we got some things done on the one drive on O, but i think we got beat 10 times on D with a slow to develop ineffective blitz and soft zone underneath and just let big WRs curl in at the first down marker.

a couple times is fine, but double digits means we have some bad coaching.

on O we never attempted a pass of 15 yards, not once, not even when we were down by 14 points in the 4th.

that is horrible, and no pro team has any reason to not even figure out a way to throw one medium length pass against a bad D when you are behind.

we need to improve this offseason, but the biggest gains would be from coaching.

EVEN THE DOLPHINS CAN MAKE DEEP PASSES!! they have a lesser RB, OL, a not great QB, and not any better WR talent than us.

i still think JP losman was put in too early, but it is pretty clear clements has no clue what he is doing and is setting us up to fail with this zero deep passes crap.

Comment

• X-Era
              What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by OpIv37
              I never thought I'd be saying this, but our offense is a pass-blocker or two away from being very good. Get Losman up to speed and bring in an o-lineman and a TE with some YAC ability, and we're good to go.

The Defense is completely screwed. Milloy and Vincent are old, and it's starting to show in Milloy's case. McGee is coming around nicely but he'll always be a #2 corner and will look horrible when Clements is gone (notice my intentional choice of preposition). The D-line is just awful. Hopefully the LB's will be ok when Spikes returns, but Posey is not a playmaker. I see him on the field but I rarely hear the announcers call his name (unless he catches an RB from behind after a 12 yard run). Crowell just might take his starting job. Greer and King are works in progress, but we need some veterans until they prove themselves.
              I saw the same thing today. Milloy got absolutely torched. He simply doesnt have the speed to keep up anymore. I love his hitting and hard nosed mentality but he is headed down hill.

Vincent, well I cant complain too much there. He has had some picks but yeah he is losing it too.

I dont want a complete gutting of the D. Id like another stud DL, maybe Damione Lewis who is set to be a UFA. I think we need to think long and hard about the SS spot this offseason.

Personally, Im just sick of Mike Williams who is constantly hurt and costs this team a fortune. Also Moulds isnt what he was and is tying up too much money.

Id like to make some changes to free up the cap space to get some young studs DL, SS, maybe WR (but could be from the draft). We probably spend our #1 on a corner like Jimmy Williams considering TD tightwad wont pay Clements.

Comment

Working...
              X