PDA

View Full Version : HELP WANTED?

Drive 4 Five
10-23-2005, 09:19 PM
When I see all the calls to fire Tom Donahoe, I think of the Titan's General Manager, Floyd Reese. After drafting the likes of McNair, George, Kearse, and others, how many years did this team fall short of expectations? This team was in a very similar situation and look where they went. Don't get me wrong, I am not defending Tom Donahoe, I just think people are getting a little crazy with all this "FIRE DONAHOE" stuff. You have to believe that as long as Ralph Wilson has been around the game, and having worked with the likes of Polian and Butler, that he knows what he is doing and would not give absolute control to someone as incompetent as many of you seem to think that Donahoe is. Right or wrong?

Novacane
10-23-2005, 09:23 PM
wrong.

Drive 4 Five
10-23-2005, 09:27 PM
So Wilson is a bumbling old fool and you know way more about the game and the qualifications of an NFL General Manager than he does? Or is it that you are a conspiracy theorist and believe that Wilson hired Donahoe, knowing how poorly his team would be under his leadership, in an effort to move the team?

What...?

YardRat
10-23-2005, 09:27 PM
Reese still hasn't won a Super Bowl...he should be fired too.

Drive 4 Five
10-23-2005, 09:31 PM
Reese still hasn't won a Super Bowl...he should be fired too.

:chuckle: Yeah but you have to admit, it was a pretty good run.

AndreReed83
10-23-2005, 09:32 PM
I don't think TD is incompetent, but in order to take the next step, I think we need a GM that will overspend a little on players that will make the team better. And now, Drive for Five, I am not, nor have I ever been a GM. But I am entitled to my opinion.

The_Philster
10-23-2005, 09:33 PM
I don't believe in any conspiracy theory but I am beginning to think Ralph hired TD based on his success in Pittsburgh without looking into the man himself. TD got pushed out of Pittsburgh in a power struggle with Cowher...I have to wonder if that made an impact on his coaching hires :scratch: Not that I totally believe he intentionally is hiring weak coaches...I'm not giving up on Mularkey just yet...but I've been pondering that point of late

Drive 4 Five
10-23-2005, 09:35 PM
I don't think TD is incompetent, but in order to take the next step, I think we need a GM that will overspend a little on players that will make the team better. And now, Drive for Five, I am not, nor have I ever been a GM. But I am entitled to my opinion.

Don't worry, no personal attacks. I promise. So if Donahoe is not the answer, then who?

Novacane
10-23-2005, 09:37 PM
So Wilson is a bumbling old fool and you know way more about the game and the qualifications of an NFL General Manager than he does? Or is it that you are a conspiracy theorist and believe that Wilson hired Donahoe, knowing how poorly his team would be under his leadership, in an effort to move the team?
What...?

. I don't think TD is incompetent He's brought in some very good players. He has majorly screwed up in his 2 coaching hires though. I think he hires weak coachs because of what happened to him in Pittsburg. We're not gonna win with that attitude. Maybe Ralph is happy because from the business side of things TD is doing great filling the seats. I'd rather win. TD has not done that. How long do you want to give him?

Drive 4 Five
10-23-2005, 09:40 PM
I don't believe in any conspiracy theory but I am beginning to think Ralph hired TD based on his success in Pittsburgh without looking into the man himself. TD got pushed out of Pittsburgh in a power struggle with Cowher...I have to wonder if that made an impact on his coaching hires :scratch: Not that I totally believe he intentionally is hiring weak coaches...I'm not giving up on Mularkey just yet...but I've been pondering that point of late

I am not ready to give up on Mularkey either, but he does make some VERY questionable judgement calls that have made me wonder if Donahoe didn't make the wrong decision AGAIN! Still, DOnahoe can't be all that stupid, he did hire Cower after all. Luck of the draw? In the end, it is still a game of chance I suppose.

DraftBoy
10-23-2005, 09:40 PM
Reese is in serious jeopardy of losing his job this offseason with the year the Titans are having and losing to the Cards today wont help matters, aside from his very streaky draft record.

AndreReed83
10-23-2005, 09:42 PM
I wish I knew that. Not exactly up to date on who is available. I actually think TD does do a decent job. But he's done a terrible job with the head coach selection. I think he will be here next year and hopefully instead of looking for the "perfect" deals, I hope he spends a little more then usual on pieces we need.

BSXIII
10-23-2005, 09:49 PM
Donahoe sucks. He's a media guy, no more, no less. He knows how to put a nice spin on anything, but knows nothing about building a good football team. Sure you can say he's drafted guys who put up good numbers, but games are won and lost in the trenches. An area he continues to ignore.

Anyhow, he may be the worst GM in the league. He talks about changing to a "power running game" when the team has arguably the worst OL in the league, then year after year does nothing to fix it. He's a joke and must be replaced ASAP.

Drive 4 Five
10-23-2005, 09:49 PM
. I don't think TD is incompetent He's brought in some very good players. He has majorly screwed up in his 2 coaching hires though. I think he hires weak coachs because of what happened to him in Pittsburg. We're not gonna win with that attitude. Maybe Ralph is happy because from the business side of things TD is doing great filling the seats. I'd rather win. TD has not done that. How long do you want to give him?

See I don't buy all this "puppet" stuff. I think sometimes you just get lucky and sometimes you get...well...Greg Williams!

How long has he been our GM? Five years now? Yeah we definitely deserve better than what we have gotten, but I do not believe that Wilson made a hasty, uneducated or irrational decision in hiring him. I'm sure there are other owners who would like to have him. Building an NFL team is no easy task I suppose and this stuff takes time. I guess we have to give him until the end of his contract don't we? Besides, who else is there? I mean its easy to complain about Donahoe but I don't know of a better solution right now.

Drive 4 Five
10-23-2005, 09:55 PM
Reese is in serious jeopardy of losing his job this offseason with the year the Titans are having and losing to the Cards today wont help matters, aside from his very streaky draft record.

I disagree. EVERYONE knew the turnover in players was coming. It is the price they paid to keep the nucleus of that Super Bowl team together in hopes of going to the BIG game one more time. Had it not been for New England two season ago, it might have paid off. I'm sure they have expectations to win and play hard down there but I doubt ANYONE is going to be surprised if they don't make the playoffs this year.

Drive 4 Five
10-23-2005, 09:59 PM
I wish I knew that. Not exactly up to date on who is available. I actually think TD does do a decent job. But he's done a terrible job with the head coach selection. I think he will be here next year and hopefully instead of looking for the "perfect" deals, I hope he spends a little more then usual on pieces we need.

Definitely some BIG mistakes with the coaching staff and I think that is the major difference. Here is ONE improvement he can make. I really believe that Dom Capers is going to be fired really soon. I would run Jerry Gray out of town and bring Capers in to coach our defense.

Drive 4 Five
10-23-2005, 10:05 PM
Donahoe sucks. He's a media guy, no more, no less. He knows how to put a nice spin on anything, but knows nothing about building a good football team. Sure you can say he's drafted guys who put up good numbers, but games are won and lost in the trenches. An area he continues to ignore.
Anyhow, he may be the worst GM in the league. He talks about changing to a "power running game" when the team has arguably the worst OL in the league, then year after year does nothing to fix it. He's a joke and must be replaced ASAP.

I'm sure he never dreamed that Mike Williams was going to be as pathetic as he has been either. Worse line in the league? I think the Texans have a worse line than we do. 49ers too.

This season, more than any other, will be telling about Donahoe's capabilities as a General Manager. He is faced with HUGE decisions this off season.