PDA

View Full Version : It's not Kelly's fault

northernbillfan
10-24-2005, 10:59 AM
He played an okay game on Sunday.

Willis couldn't crack the line.

Going with Daimon Shelton on fourth and goal was stupid.

The inability to stop third and long was a killer.

Lamont Jordan chewed up the team's weak run D.

The DBs couldn't contain a less than 100% Randy Moss.

Doesn't look like any of that is Holcomb's fault.

Stop the calling for JP. The team cannot afford to put him in now to face NE on Sunday night.

LtBillsFan66
10-24-2005, 11:03 AM
Shelton should block only. I don't want to see him run another run or catch another pass.

northernbillfan
10-24-2005, 11:06 AM
No doubt, the guy hadn't carried the ball for five seasons and they give it to him on fourth and goal?!?!?

generalmills
10-24-2005, 11:07 AM
Stop the calling for JP. The team cannot afford to put him in now to face NE on Sunday night.

although I do agree with you on the fact that this loss was not the fault of Holcomb but the next logical step for this team is to throw away this pipe-dream season and commit to the future. JP has to develop at some point, this is the perfect time. This team is certainly not capable of making the playoffs as you have illustrated in your breakdown of the game yesterday. JP needs to see as much action as possible but I do not think he should be put in till after the break-week only because it would be unfair to his development to put him under center against the pats on national television. I think coming home following the break-week is the perfect time to begin once again the growth of the bills.

northernbillfan
10-24-2005, 11:08 AM
Well said General.

OpIv37
10-24-2005, 11:11 AM
I think Willis COULD have had a big game. He had a nice run or two early, then our coaches just abandoned the run for no apparent reason. Suddenly we're 14 points behind and the run option is gone....

I agree that Holcomb didn't lose the game- he did have a few bonehead plays, but they weren't the difference in the game. For the most part, he played well. But I agree with generalmills as well- after the NE game, Losman should be given his shot. I don't want to see Losman in for the NE game because it will just be embarrassing.

chernobylwraiths
10-24-2005, 11:15 AM
No doubt, the guy hadn't carried the ball for five seasons and they give it to him on fourth and goal?!?!?

Sheldon has looked very good at times getting the ball in the flat and getting extra yardage after first contact. McGahee seems to go down quite often after first contact. I liked the Sheldon call. We still ran the ball and it was unexpected that Sheldon would get it. I don't think McGahee would have scored either.

I think you throw JP in there now regardless of who we are playing and when. If you really wanted to give JP a weak opponent, the Jets or Miami at home would have been a lot better. Besides, putting JP in now would give him a lot of incentive, AND it was the team he made his NFL debut against last year and looked even worse than this year. And if Moulds wants to ***** about it, start Reed and Roscoe over him, it ain't getting done this year.

northernbillfan
10-24-2005, 11:16 AM
I think Willis COULD have had a big game. He had a nice run or two early, then our coaches just abandoned the run for no apparent reason. Suddenly we're 14 points behind and the run option is gone....

I agree that Holcomb didn't lose the game- he did have a few bonehead plays, but they weren't the difference in the game. For the most part, he played well. But I agree with generalmills as well- after the NE game, Losman should be given his shot. I don't want to see Losman in for the NE game because it will just be embarrassing.
If I remember correctly, last season Losman was thrown into the Pats game and it was probably the most embarrasing few plays of his life.

chernobylwraiths
10-24-2005, 11:21 AM
The Bills are getting used to being embarrassed, and probably will be regardless of who plays QB. So, what's the difference?

northernbillfan
10-24-2005, 11:25 AM
The difference is a big game against a division rival in which we haven't won a game since the opening of 2002.

Historian
10-24-2005, 11:31 AM

You know, substitute JP for Kelly, and you actually have the blueprint for all of our losses.

(Without the obvious Raider references)

Aren't these losses all beginning to look the same? A great opening drive, Bills go to sleep, defense allows between 100-200 yards on the ground, special teams don't really ignite anything.

Sorry, I don't care who you line up under center. This isn't a very good football team.

BAM
10-24-2005, 11:35 AM
If I remember correctly, last season Losman was thrown into the Pats game and it was probably the most embarrasing few plays of his life.

I remember watching that game. JP had the nerve to laugh while walking to the sidelines after throwing a perfect pass to Troy Brown... or was it after his fumble, I can't remember.

Mr. Cynical
10-24-2005, 11:35 AM
The difference is a big game against a division rival in which we haven't won a game since the opening of 2002.

This streak isn't going to change next week. I'd bet everything I own on it.

Seriously, what have we seen in any game of the season that would lead to the idea we can win against them? I know....."any given Sunday"....but it would seriously take a total NE meltdown for us to win. I don't see that happening, especially after a bye week. I know my hatred for BB is going to increase ten fold after this game because I think he is going to embarass us.......again.

DBrown77
10-24-2005, 11:43 AM
Were 1 game out of first. keep holcomb in
maybe we can pull out a miracle in boston next week and were tied for first again.

I know its not likely but thats why they play the game

Novacane
10-24-2005, 11:43 AM
We're calling for JP because this team is going nowhere this season and we need to find out if he is cut out to be an NFL QB, not because we think Holcomb has played bad.

After we get killed by the Pats JP needs to be re-instated as starter against KC.

TacklingDummy
10-24-2005, 11:44 AM
The Bills are getting used to being embarrassed, and probably will be regardless of who plays QB. So, what's the difference?

They don't want JPs ego to get hurt.

They want JP to play against teams that he should do well agianst. So they can pimp him as the Bills "future" and the next could be "Manning".

They are already coming up with excuses for when JP does come in and struggles. The schedule.

Start JP now as far as im concerned. The run defense is not gonna get any better with the RBs that the Bills still have to face.

Novacane
10-24-2005, 11:46 AM
Were 1 game out of first. keep holcomb in
maybe we can pull out a miracle in boston next week and were tied for first again.

I know its not likely but thats why they play the game

I'm ok with that plan but if we don't pull off that miracle in boston then we need to admit this team sucks and try and see if JP is the future.

BAM
10-24-2005, 11:49 AM
If we get massacred next week, I'd say bring JP back.

DBrown77
10-24-2005, 12:21 PM
I'm ok with that plan but if we don't pull off that miracle in boston then we need to admit this team sucks and try and see if JP is the future.
good call, i agree

northernbillfan
10-24-2005, 02:38 PM
If we get massacred next week, I'd say bring JP back.
That would be a good call if it's Kelly's fault as to why they lost.

Throne Logic
10-24-2005, 03:11 PM

Not Holcomb's fault - I agree. But Holcomb didn't do anything special to help the team either. That's why I call for JP. All things being equal, I just do not believe this team has what it takes, from coaching staff to practice squad, to beat New England this weekend.

Putting JP in for the experience would at least provide for something positive to come out of this game. Holcomb will just fill in the space at QB - which is exactly what he was brought into Buffalo to do. We'll be in no way better off at the end of this game if Holcomb takes all the snaps 'cuz he is clearly not the future starting QB solution for Buffalo. We'll have both a loss and young "potential" QB who will have learned nothing.

The_Philster
10-24-2005, 03:28 PM
People are calling for JP not because of how Holcomb played, but because of how the entire team played...we suck and Holcomb is a decent QB who can win us some games...but he's not gonna make up for all the other inadequacies we have on this team right now. So the question is, do we wanna keep muddling along..fooling ourselves for a game here and there...or do we want to get better and work on JP ?

Typ0
10-24-2005, 03:29 PM
I can tell you why we are losing these games and it's not because of KH. There really are two main reasons.

1) Our play calling totally sucks. Why are we relying on such finess (like trying trickery) instead of sticking to a fundamental thing we do well like run the ball is beyond me. I can think of countless examples.

2) Jerry Gray's defense has been exposed for what it is. All he does is blitz blitz blitz and that will create turnovers against weaker opponents...but it just gets us burned against a decent team. Well, incase no one knows on our coaching staff we have to beat the good teams too :(.

Typ0
10-24-2005, 03:30 PM
People are calling for JP not because of how Holcomb played, but because of how the entire team played...we suck and Holcomb is a decent QB who can win us some games...but he's not gonna make up for all the other inadequacies we have on this team right now. So the question is, do we wanna keep muddling along..fooling ourselves for a game here and there...or do we want to get better and work on JP ?

I say leave KH in there to take the punishment until we can get a real coaching staff in here that can groom JP appropriately.

The_Philster
10-24-2005, 03:32 PM
I say leave KH in there to take the punishment until we can get a real coaching staff in here that can groom JP appropriately.
That's an idea...but then there's a strong possibility that JP struggles again early on next year. I still have some faith in Wyche myself

G. Host
10-24-2005, 07:44 PM
2) Jerry Gray's defense has been exposed for what it is. All he does is blitz blitz blitz and that will create turnovers against weaker opponents...but it just gets us burned against a decent team. Well, incase no one knows on our coaching staff we have to beat the good teams too :(.

The Bills play a gambling defense. Against better QBs (Gannon is a better QB) or better Rbs who pretend they are QBs they get beat because the defense has a weakness which can be exploited. This weakness was shown last year by Pittsburgh and is being used by teans which can exploit it. Without the game changing plays the defense is its own weakness.

P.S. we had not won in Oakland since 1966 or so; I listed this as a loss since nothing has changed in Bills' preparation for these games.

Typ0
10-24-2005, 08:26 PM
The Bills play a gambling defense. Against better QBs (Gannon is a better QB) or better Rbs who pretend they are QBs they get beat because the defense has a weakness which can be exploited. This weakness was shown last year by Pittsburgh and is being used by teans which can exploit it. Without the game changing plays the defense is its own weakness.

P.S. we had not won in Oakland since 1966 or so; I listed this as a loss since nothing has changed in Bills' preparation for these games.

yes...I think that's what I said. At some point....they need to wake up that they can't play the better teams/players that way because it isn't going to work. Instead...they just keep doing the same old tired crap that screws us in those games. I'm sick of it!

BAM
10-24-2005, 08:28 PM
I'd let him pretend to be our QB.

G. Host
10-24-2005, 08:52 PM
If we stick JP behind that line too long, it will not be too long before he gets ToddCollinsDeerInTheHeadlights-itis! If I was a QB and I was put behind that line, I would (1) do my best to not get too injured, (2) make sure my agent made sure teams understood that it was the line's fault and (3) be willing to take incentive based contract for one or two years.

JP's great asset other than his mobility is his record of few interceptions in college. If he gets injured enough times and he has to throw a lot of chancy throws he will lose both of those attributes.

Spiderweb
10-25-2005, 08:45 AM