PDA

View Full Version : Buffalo's Talk Far Exceeds Its Walk

The_Philster
10-24-2005, 03:42 PM
<basefont> Just one small request after enduring Oakland's 38-17 gutting of the visitors from Buffalo late Sunday afternoon: Could everyone involved with the Bills organization please shut up for a while?
The latest blue, white and redder to sound off, then end up looking like an idiot, was the self-proclaimed "best back" in the National Football League, Willis McGahee.
More than a little full of himself coming off a career-high 143-yard outing against the New York Jets last Sunday, McGahee made his declaration to the media while preparing for the trip west. more (http://www.niagarafallsreporter.com/billstuff10.25.05.html)

Forward_Lateral
10-24-2005, 03:47 PM
Couldn't agree more. Willis has a lot to learn, and the first thing he should learn is to keep his big dumb mouth shut. Giving the opponent's something to motivate them against you is not a smart thing to do in the NFL.

ParanoidAndroid
10-24-2005, 04:04 PM
His main point is legit. Put up or shut up. I'm with him. Besides that, the article reads like a b*tch session and offers nothing else constructive.

Mr. Cynical
10-24-2005, 07:00 PM
This sums it up perfectly for me.

The Bills could have easily tied the game with a chip-shot field goal, or, if they insisted on taking the high-risk option with well over half the game to be played, they could have run any number of higher-percentage plays.

But no. That's not the Donahoe Way.

Look at the Steelers before Bill Cowher won the "me or him" war after the 1999 season. Pittsburgh won plenty of games, even reaching a Super Bowl, but always displayed something of an obsession with gimmickry. Why pound away with Jerome Bettis inside the 5-yard line when you can run an option play with Kordell Stewart? Why throw to one of the guys you pay to catch the ball when you know a throw to "Slash" will get you a spot on ESPN?

The we-think-we're-better-than-we-are mentality that pervades Buffalo's locker room and coaching offices also infected Pittsburgh back then. Days before hosting the San Diego Chargers in the AFC title game in January 1995, Donahoe's Steelers spent time in a team meeting room at Three Rivers Stadium rehearsing for a rap video to be recorded after their inevitable victory.
It never got made. The Chargers won, 17-13.