X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DynaPaul
    • Sep 2003

Donahoe Answers the Tough Questions

Kenny Dixon (Long Beach, NY): Mr. Donahoe. How are you? I have a question for you. Can you honestly give us a personal evaluation of yourself since you've been G.M. here? I just want to hear in your own words how you would describe your performance leading our team.

Tom Donahoe: It really is not my job to evaluate my performance. That is for our owner, Mr. Wilson, to do. I am confident that since I came here we have improved in every aspect of our organization because of the quality of our staff and their dedication and commitment to being a first rate organization. I wish that we would have won more games, but feel that we have the potential to do that. We will get this season turned around.

Todd DePerno (Burlington, VT): Thank you for making yourself available for what will surely be some tough questions. As an O.P. native and ardent Bills fan, I am very deflated over your tenure. This team has failed miserably and lacks the direction and drive necessary to be competitive. My question is, when will you admit you have not made the right decisions and step down?

Tom Donahoe: This question is very similar to the previous question. We are not satisfied that we haven't won more football games and that is the bottom line. It is not my position to give up and it's not the team's position to give up. After a difficult loss, we will bounce back and I expect our team to play extremely well Sunday night in New England. Seven games do not make a season, and we are confident in our coaches and our players that they can get this thing headed in the right direction.

Unfortunately it's more GM speak.
  • Mudflap1
    Next Question!
    • Nov 2004

Re: Donahoe Answers the Tough Questions

mush mouth.

Jon

Comment

• AndreReed83
      Dink or dunk, Mularkey just plain stunk.
      • Mar 2004

I was going to write my opinions on one of these questions, but after reading them all, I can't stop there. This team will go no where with this guy as our GM. Sure, he recognizes our team is "inconsistent" on both sides of the ball... what is he going to do about it?

He actually thinks he's made positive adjustments to our line the past four years? Sure, he spent one high draft pick and brought in one decent pickup and some scrubs. Eh, Gandy has actually been the best of those pickups, and he was a castoff from the Bears, given up for dead.

Our line is doing a good job run-blocking? Then McGahee needs to be getting more then 16 carries in a game.

I know injuries have hurt this team. But this team's defense sucked against the Bucs and was on it's way to another poor performance against the Falcons, even WHILE Ron Edwards and Takeo Spikes were playing. If he is blaming injuries alone, then I doubt he makes any upgrades in the offseason.

When asked about the fast start the fans were promised and how to fix it, you respond with, "We are confident that we will find the right buttons to push to have more on-field success than we have had to this point." WTF? I wish it were that simple...

Mike Williams has a high ankle sprain. I respect that, those are hard to play with. But if we had ANY decent depth on the O-line, he wouldn't have to push himself through immobilizing pain. This is on YOU, TD.

Not your job to evaluate your performance? Obviously, all you care about is that you HAVE a job and keep getting paid for it. ANYONE who does a job needs to evaluate how they do at it and make changes in order to have a higher performance.

Basically, TD says all the "right" things but never explains WHY these mystical changes will happen nor does he ever take any blame for players he picked not panning. I now believe that as long as Donahoe is here, we're going to have more of the same: no playoffs.

"Look it up Thurman!!!" ~Marv Levy~
      "It's like someone walking into your house and punching your mother RIGHT in the the face." ~Darryl Talley ~

Comment

• Mudflap1
        Next Question!
        • Nov 2004

no accountability. Zippo.

Jon

Comment

• X-Era
          What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by AndreReed83
          I was going to write my opinions on one of these questions, but after reading them all, I can't stop there. This team will go no where with this guy as our GM. Sure, he recognizes our team is "inconsistent" on both sides of the ball... what is he going to do about it?

He actually thinks he's made positive adjustments to our line the past four years? Sure, he spent one high draft pick and brought in one decent pickup and some scrubs. Eh, Gandy has actually been the best of those pickups, and he was a castoff from the Bears, given up for dead.

Our line is doing a good job run-blocking? Then McGahee needs to be getting more then 16 carries in a game.

I know injuries have hurt this team. But this team's defense sucked against the Bucs and was on it's way to another poor performance against the Falcons, even WHILE Ron Edwards and Takeo Spikes were playing. If he is blaming injuries alone, then I doubt he makes any upgrades in the offseason.

When asked about the fast start the fans were promised and how to fix it, you respond with, "We are confident that we will find the right buttons to push to have more on-field success than we have had to this point." WTF? I wish it were that simple...

Mike Williams has a high ankle sprain. I respect that, those are hard to play with. But if we had ANY decent depth on the O-line, he wouldn't have to push himself through immobilizing pain. This is on YOU, TD.

Not your job to evaluate your performance? Obviously, all you care about is that you HAVE a job and keep getting paid for it. ANYONE who does a job needs to evaluate how they do at it and make changes in order to have a higher performance.

Basically, TD says all the "right" things but never explains WHY these mystical changes will happen nor does he ever take any blame for players he picked not panning. I now believe that as long as Donahoe is here, we're going to have more of the same: no playoffs.
          Ive said it before, and Ill say it again, the guy holds the money too tight. A few studs in the past years could have really turned the tables on this team.

Consider these players that we had a shot at but passed on:

Damien Woody
          Joe Andruzzi
          Marco Rivera
          Mike Wahle
          Jevon Kearse
          Corey Simon
          Jamie Winborn
          LJ Shelton
          Cosey Coleman
          Rodney Harrison
          Chad Brown
          David Boston

and theres many many more.

Instead we go the cheap route and pick up:

Greg Jerman
          Bobby Shaw
          Bennie the human penalty
          Greg Favors
          Ross Tucker
          Reshard Lee

He simply keeps trying to get bargain basement players and they arent as good as the ones he passes up. Its the simple phrase:

YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!!!!!!

At least he has been willing to draft some guys that have real potential. But thats just one phase of building a great team and he flat out hasnt gotten it done in free agency.

Comment

• Throne Logic
            Terry Tate - Outside Linebacker
            • Aug 2002

Come on now. Do you really expect him to say "yup, I screwed up the whole thing. I truly suck. And just to please all you fans, I'm going to resign immediately."

I may not agree with all his choices, but I'd really be concerned if he were moping about bashing himself. If he shows weakness at the top, the organization, as a whole, is all done.

Those asking the questions were just being foolish. They must have realized that he would not give them answers that they would be satisfied with. If the truly expected some self-deflating answer, they are delusional.

They should have asked specific questions about specific topics related to the team.

i.e.
            Could you please speak about the current state of the offense, and more to the point, what plans you have for both the immediate and long-term resolution of the problems we've seen this season.

Now, TD may have given the same bland answers. However, he may have elaborated just a tad bit more if he didn't feel as though he were under direct attack from the question poser.
            Still searching for that offensive rhythm.

Comment

• AndreReed83
              • Mar 2004

Yep. I don't think we will be better until TD starts overspending on the parts that will make this team better. Or until we get a GM that will do that.

"It's like someone walking into your house and punching your mother RIGHT in the the face." ~Darryl Talley ~

Comment

• Fairway
                • Jul 2002

I'll give him credit for 1 thing..........he took some tough questions. I'm suprised. I thought they'd all be softballs. His answers sucked but at least they know fans are pissed

Comment

• X-Era
                  • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Throne Logic
                  Come on now. Do you really expect him to say "yup, I screwed up the whole thing. I truly suck. And just to please all you fans, I'm going to resign immediately."

I may not agree with all his choices, but I'd really be concerned if he were moping about bashing himself. If he shows weakness at the top, the organization, as a whole, is all done.

Those asking the questions were just being foolish. They must have realized that he would not give them answers that they would be satisfied with. If the truly expected some self-deflating answer, they are delusional.

They should have asked specific questions about specific topics related to the team.

i.e.
                  Could you please speak about the current state of the offense, and more to the point, what plans you have for both the immediate and long-term resolution of the problems we've seen this season.

Now, TD may have given the same bland answers. However, he may have elaborated just a tad bit more if he didn't feel as though he were under direct attack from the question poser.
                  Absolutely not. Of course he wont say he sucks. But we should have at least seen some sign that he is thinking the right way and is willing to get better. To me it read, the same ole thing next offseason.

Comment

• X-Era
                    • Feb 2005

Yep. I don't think we will be better until TD starts overspending on the parts that will make this team better. Or until we get a GM that will do that.
                    overspending? are you serious?

Lets talk for a second about Indy.

The team is under the cap and has Peyton, James, Harrison, Freeney, Tarik Glenn, and now Corey Simon. I mean, are you frikkin kidding me? And we have who again?

Teams do it all the time and build a strong squad.

If overspending means we end up with a roster THAT good, lets burn some damn cash!!!!!

Comment

• AndreReed83
                      • Mar 2004

Originally posted by jp-era
                      Absolutely not. Of course he wont say he sucks. But we should have at least seen some sign that he is thinking the right way and is willing to get better. To me it read, the same ole thing next offseason.
                      I got that impression too. I don't think TD is going to make the necessary moves to take this team to the playoffs. But, really, a lot will depend on JP's development. Hopefully TD proves me wrong, but I'm pretty disenchanted for the future.

Comment

• Throne Logic
                        Terry Tate - Outside Linebacker
                        • Aug 2002

[QUOTE=jp-era]Ive said it before, and Ill say it again, the guy holds the money too tight. A few studs in the past years could have really turned the tables on this team.

QUOTE]

Damien Woody Wanted WAY too much money.
                        Joe Andruzzi OK
                        Marco Rivera Is he really an upgrade?
                        Mike Wahle OK
                        Jevon Kearse PASS - Take another look at his season thus far.
                        Corey Simon I agreed with TD to give Edwards the shot vs. overpriced
                        Jamie Winborn Not sure on him.
                        LJ Shelton PASS - dramatically over rated.
                        Cosey Coleman Could he truly be an upgrade?
                        Rodney Harrison Fine, but the Pats were his destination regardless.
                        Chad Brown Eh?
                        David Boston BIG PASS - why on Earth would you want him on the Bills?

Greg Jerman I agree, although he's a great pick up as a backup.
                        Bobby Shaw Bobby Shaw was as consistent as anyone on this team.
                        Bennie Anderson He'd be better as a filler between two good players.
                        Greg Favors Who? heh.
                        Ross Tucker Coulda, woulda, shoulda.
                        Reshard Lee Was he really expected to do anything?

Anyway, my point is that TD has brought in some good talent and missed on others. How is this different than any other GM?
                        Still searching for that offensive rhythm.

Comment

• X-Era
                          • Feb 2005

[quote=Throne Logic]
                          Originally posted by jp-era
                          Ive said it before, and Ill say it again, the guy holds the money too tight. A few studs in the past years could have really turned the tables on this team.

QUOTE]

Damien Woody Wanted WAY too much money.
                          Joe Andruzzi OK
                          Marco Rivera Is he really an upgrade?
                          Mike Wahle OK
                          Jevon Kearse PASS - Take another look at his season thus far.
                          Corey Simon I agreed with TD to give Edwards the shot vs. overpriced
                          Jamie Winborn Not sure on him.
                          LJ Shelton PASS - dramatically over rated.
                          Cosey Coleman Could he truly be an upgrade?
                          Rodney Harrison Fine, but the Pats were his destination regardless.
                          Chad Brown Eh?
                          David Boston BIG PASS - why on Earth would you want him on the Bills?

Greg Jerman I agree, although he's a great pick up as a backup.
                          Bobby Shaw Bobby Shaw was as consistent as anyone on this team.
                          Bennie Anderson He'd be better as a filler between two good players.
                          Greg Favors Who? heh.
                          Ross Tucker Coulda, woulda, shoulda.
                          Reshard Lee Was he really expected to do anything?

Anyway, my point is that TD has brought in some good talent and missed on others. How is this different than any other GM?
                          I dont know, ask the Pats or Denver

Comment

• X-Era
                            • Feb 2005

I got that impression too. I don't think TD is going to make the necessary moves to take this team to the playoffs. But, really, a lot will depend on JP's development. Hopefully TD proves me wrong, but I'm pretty disenchanted for the future.
                            Really our only saving grace is our draft prowess.

If he continues to make some bold moves to get good guys, and then we actually play them to make them good, we can have a great squad that way. Indy sure did it. But to their credit, they also would get some guys who can play like Simon.

Comment

Working...
                            X