PDA

View Full Version : Donahoe Answers the Tough Questions

DynaPaul
10-24-2005, 04:43 PM
Kenny Dixon (Long Beach, NY): Mr. Donahoe. How are you? I have a question for you. Can you honestly give us a personal evaluation of yourself since you've been G.M. here? I just want to hear in your own words how you would describe your performance leading our team.

Tom Donahoe: It really is not my job to evaluate my performance. That is for our owner, Mr. Wilson, to do. I am confident that since I came here we have improved in every aspect of our organization because of the quality of our staff and their dedication and commitment to being a first rate organization. I wish that we would have won more games, but feel that we have the potential to do that. We will get this season turned around.

Todd DePerno (Burlington, VT): Thank you for making yourself available for what will surely be some tough questions. As an O.P. native and ardent Bills fan, I am very deflated over your tenure. This team has failed miserably and lacks the direction and drive necessary to be competitive. My question is, when will you admit you have not made the right decisions and step down?

Tom Donahoe: This question is very similar to the previous question. We are not satisfied that we haven't won more football games and that is the bottom line. It is not my position to give up and it's not the team's position to give up. After a difficult loss, we will bounce back and I expect our team to play extremely well Sunday night in New England. Seven games do not make a season, and we are confident in our coaches and our players that they can get this thing headed in the right direction.

Unfortunately it's more GM speak.

The_Philster
10-24-2005, 04:51 PM
http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=3462

Mudflap1
10-24-2005, 05:07 PM
mush mouth.

Jon

AndreReed83
10-24-2005, 05:15 PM
I was going to write my opinions on one of these questions, but after reading them all, I can't stop there. This team will go no where with this guy as our GM. Sure, he recognizes our team is "inconsistent" on both sides of the ball... what is he going to do about it?

He actually thinks he's made positive adjustments to our line the past four years? Sure, he spent one high draft pick and brought in one decent pickup and some scrubs. Eh, Gandy has actually been the best of those pickups, and he was a castoff from the Bears, given up for dead.

Our line is doing a good job run-blocking? Then McGahee needs to be getting more then 16 carries in a game.

I know injuries have hurt this team. But this team's defense sucked against the Bucs and was on it's way to another poor performance against the Falcons, even WHILE Ron Edwards and Takeo Spikes were playing. If he is blaming injuries alone, then I doubt he makes any upgrades in the offseason.

When asked about the fast start the fans were promised and how to fix it, you respond with, "We are confident that we will find the right buttons to push to have more on-field success than we have had to this point." WTF? I wish it were that simple...

Mike Williams has a high ankle sprain. I respect that, those are hard to play with. But if we had ANY decent depth on the O-line, he wouldn't have to push himself through immobilizing pain. This is on YOU, TD.

Not your job to evaluate your performance? Obviously, all you care about is that you HAVE a job and keep getting paid for it. ANYONE who does a job needs to evaluate how they do at it and make changes in order to have a higher performance.

Basically, TD says all the "right" things but never explains WHY these mystical changes will happen nor does he ever take any blame for players he picked not panning. I now believe that as long as Donahoe is here, we're going to have more of the same: no playoffs.

Mudflap1
10-24-2005, 05:24 PM
no accountability. Zippo.

Jon

X-Era
10-24-2005, 05:31 PM
I was going to write my opinions on one of these questions, but after reading them all, I can't stop there. This team will go no where with this guy as our GM. Sure, he recognizes our team is "inconsistent" on both sides of the ball... what is he going to do about it?

He actually thinks he's made positive adjustments to our line the past four years? Sure, he spent one high draft pick and brought in one decent pickup and some scrubs. Eh, Gandy has actually been the best of those pickups, and he was a castoff from the Bears, given up for dead.

Our line is doing a good job run-blocking? Then McGahee needs to be getting more then 16 carries in a game.

I know injuries have hurt this team. But this team's defense sucked against the Bucs and was on it's way to another poor performance against the Falcons, even WHILE Ron Edwards and Takeo Spikes were playing. If he is blaming injuries alone, then I doubt he makes any upgrades in the offseason.

When asked about the fast start the fans were promised and how to fix it, you respond with, "We are confident that we will find the right buttons to push to have more on-field success than we have had to this point." WTF? I wish it were that simple...

Mike Williams has a high ankle sprain. I respect that, those are hard to play with. But if we had ANY decent depth on the O-line, he wouldn't have to push himself through immobilizing pain. This is on YOU, TD.

Not your job to evaluate your performance? Obviously, all you care about is that you HAVE a job and keep getting paid for it. ANYONE who does a job needs to evaluate how they do at it and make changes in order to have a higher performance.

Basically, TD says all the "right" things but never explains WHY these mystical changes will happen nor does he ever take any blame for players he picked not panning. I now believe that as long as Donahoe is here, we're going to have more of the same: no playoffs.

Ive said it before, and Ill say it again, the guy holds the money too tight. A few studs in the past years could have really turned the tables on this team.

Consider these players that we had a shot at but passed on:

Damien Woody
Joe Andruzzi
Marco Rivera
Mike Wahle
Jevon Kearse
Corey Simon
Jamie Winborn
LJ Shelton
Cosey Coleman
Rodney Harrison
Chad Brown
David Boston

and theres many many more.

Instead we go the cheap route and pick up:

Greg Jerman
Bobby Shaw
Bennie the human penalty
Greg Favors
Ross Tucker
Reshard Lee

He simply keeps trying to get bargain basement players and they arent as good as the ones he passes up. Its the simple phrase:

YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!!!!!!

At least he has been willing to draft some guys that have real potential. But thats just one phase of building a great team and he flat out hasnt gotten it done in free agency.

Throne Logic
10-24-2005, 05:36 PM
Come on now. Do you really expect him to say "yup, I screwed up the whole thing. I truly suck. And just to please all you fans, I'm going to resign immediately."

I may not agree with all his choices, but I'd really be concerned if he were moping about bashing himself. If he shows weakness at the top, the organization, as a whole, is all done.

Those asking the questions were just being foolish. They must have realized that he would not give them answers that they would be satisfied with. If the truly expected some self-deflating answer, they are delusional.

They should have asked specific questions about specific topics related to the team.

i.e.
Could you please speak about the current state of the offense, and more to the point, what plans you have for both the immediate and long-term resolution of the problems we've seen this season.

Now, TD may have given the same bland answers. However, he may have elaborated just a tad bit more if he didn't feel as though he were under direct attack from the question poser.

AndreReed83
10-24-2005, 05:37 PM
Yep. I don't think we will be better until TD starts overspending on the parts that will make this team better. Or until we get a GM that will do that.:D

Novacane
10-24-2005, 05:44 PM
I'll give him credit for 1 thing..........he took some tough questions. I'm suprised. I thought they'd all be softballs. His answers sucked but at least they know fans are pissed

X-Era
10-24-2005, 05:44 PM
Come on now. Do you really expect him to say "yup, I screwed up the whole thing. I truly suck. And just to please all you fans, I'm going to resign immediately."

I may not agree with all his choices, but I'd really be concerned if he were moping about bashing himself. If he shows weakness at the top, the organization, as a whole, is all done.

Those asking the questions were just being foolish. They must have realized that he would not give them answers that they would be satisfied with. If the truly expected some self-deflating answer, they are delusional.

They should have asked specific questions about specific topics related to the team.

i.e.
Could you please speak about the current state of the offense, and more to the point, what plans you have for both the immediate and long-term resolution of the problems we've seen this season.

Now, TD may have given the same bland answers. However, he may have elaborated just a tad bit more if he didn't feel as though he were under direct attack from the question poser.

Absolutely not. Of course he wont say he sucks. But we should have at least seen some sign that he is thinking the right way and is willing to get better. To me it read, the same ole thing next offseason.

X-Era
10-24-2005, 05:46 PM
Yep. I don't think we will be better until TD starts overspending on the parts that will make this team better. Or until we get a GM that will do that.:D

overspending? are you serious?

Lets talk for a second about Indy.

The team is under the cap and has Peyton, James, Harrison, Freeney, Tarik Glenn, and now Corey Simon. I mean, are you frikkin kidding me? And we have who again?

Teams do it all the time and build a strong squad.

If overspending means we end up with a roster THAT good, lets burn some damn cash!!!!!

AndreReed83
10-24-2005, 05:49 PM
Absolutely not. Of course he wont say he sucks. But we should have at least seen some sign that he is thinking the right way and is willing to get better. To me it read, the same ole thing next offseason.

I got that impression too. I don't think TD is going to make the necessary moves to take this team to the playoffs. But, really, a lot will depend on JP's development. Hopefully TD proves me wrong, but I'm pretty disenchanted for the future.

Throne Logic
10-24-2005, 05:51 PM
[QUOTE=jp-era]Ive said it before, and Ill say it again, the guy holds the money too tight. A few studs in the past years could have really turned the tables on this team.

QUOTE]

Damien Woody Wanted WAY too much money.
Joe Andruzzi OK
Marco Rivera Is he really an upgrade?
Mike Wahle OK
Jevon Kearse PASS - Take another look at his season thus far.
Corey Simon I agreed with TD to give Edwards the shot vs. overpriced
Jamie Winborn Not sure on him.
LJ Shelton PASS - dramatically over rated.
Cosey Coleman Could he truly be an upgrade?
Rodney Harrison Fine, but the Pats were his destination regardless.
Chad Brown Eh?
David Boston BIG PASS - why on Earth would you want him on the Bills?

Greg Jerman I agree, although he's a great pick up as a backup.
Bobby Shaw Bobby Shaw was as consistent as anyone on this team.
Bennie Anderson He'd be better as a filler between two good players.
Greg Favors Who? heh.
Ross Tucker Coulda, woulda, shoulda.
Reshard Lee Was he really expected to do anything?

Anyway, my point is that TD has brought in some good talent and missed on others. How is this different than any other GM?

X-Era
10-24-2005, 05:54 PM
[quote=jp-era]Ive said it before, and Ill say it again, the guy holds the money too tight. A few studs in the past years could have really turned the tables on this team.

QUOTE]

Damien Woody Wanted WAY too much money.
Joe Andruzzi OK
Marco Rivera Is he really an upgrade?
Mike Wahle OK
Jevon Kearse PASS - Take another look at his season thus far.
Corey Simon I agreed with TD to give Edwards the shot vs. overpriced
Jamie Winborn Not sure on him.
LJ Shelton PASS - dramatically over rated.
Cosey Coleman Could he truly be an upgrade?
Rodney Harrison Fine, but the Pats were his destination regardless.
Chad Brown Eh?
David Boston BIG PASS - why on Earth would you want him on the Bills?

Greg Jerman I agree, although he's a great pick up as a backup.
Bobby Shaw Bobby Shaw was as consistent as anyone on this team.
Bennie Anderson He'd be better as a filler between two good players.
Greg Favors Who? heh.
Ross Tucker Coulda, woulda, shoulda.
Reshard Lee Was he really expected to do anything?

Anyway, my point is that TD has brought in some good talent and missed on others. How is this different than any other GM?

I dont know, ask the Pats or Denver

X-Era
10-24-2005, 05:56 PM
I got that impression too. I don't think TD is going to make the necessary moves to take this team to the playoffs. But, really, a lot will depend on JP's development. Hopefully TD proves me wrong, but I'm pretty disenchanted for the future.

Really our only saving grace is our draft prowess.

If he continues to make some bold moves to get good guys, and then we actually play them to make them good, we can have a great squad that way. Indy sure did it. But to their credit, they also would get some guys who can play like Simon.

feelthepain
10-24-2005, 05:59 PM
Did you guys ever stop to think that maybe the owner is the tightwad, not the GM??

X-Era
10-24-2005, 06:01 PM
Did you guys ever stop to think that maybe the owner is the tightwad, not the GM??

I would if there wasnt a thing called the salary cap. That pretty much kills the cheap owner factor right there.

AndreReed83
10-24-2005, 06:15 PM
Just to warn you FTP, attacking Ralph Wilson doesn't always go over well on Bills message boards. But go ahead, keep doing it, I'm interested in seeing where this goes.

The_Philster
10-24-2005, 06:20 PM
Just to warn you FTP, attacking Ralph Wilson doesn't always go over well on Bills message boards. But go ahead, keep doing it, I'm interested in seeing where this goes.
most of us consider the source ;)

Mr. Cynical
10-24-2005, 06:50 PM
So your saying you want us to go back into salary cap jail just for a few high paid players who would want an arm and a leg to get because that's what your saying.

I would take 5 years of cap jail for 1 SB win. If that's what it takes, then so be it. However, as the Redskins proved a few years back, money can't buy success. They spent tons and still sucked.

Bottom line is we need a competent GM to turn this franchise around. Because right now, we are among the worst in the league. No sugar coating...no Kool Aid...we suck. And I'm tired of it.

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
10-24-2005, 07:06 PM

So let me get this straight, your saying you want us to go back into salary cap jail just for a few high paid players who would want an arm and a leg who probably wouldn't come here in the first place because that's what your saying.

Mudflap1
10-24-2005, 07:16 PM
overspending? are you serious?

Lets talk for a second about Indy.

The team is under the cap and has Peyton, James, Harrison, Freeney, Tarik Glenn, and now Corey Simon. I mean, are you frikkin kidding me? And we have who again?

Great post!

The Colts have the great Bill Polian as their GM, and we are stuck with the chimpanzee from the old Red Rose Tea commercials...........

Jon

Mr. Cynical
10-24-2005, 07:21 PM
Great post!

The Colts have the great Bill Polian as their GM, and we are stuck with the chimpanzee from the old Red Rose Tea commercials...........

Jon

That's an insult to the chimp.

Mudflap1
10-24-2005, 07:23 PM
Good point.

Jon

feelthepain
10-24-2005, 07:29 PM
I would if there wasnt a thing called the salary cap. That pretty much kills the cheap owner factor right there.

Well the Bills aren't 7 million under the cap so TD ain't no tightwad. I think your team is very close to the cap number, if you can't afford a big name player, you can't afford them. There is more to brining talent to a team then who the fans want on their team, players need to fit with the system they are going to. It's more then just a money issue.

Mudflap1
10-24-2005, 07:30 PM
Mr. Cynical,

A few new pictures of Tom Donahoe...

http://pages.tias.com/208/PictPage/1921766654.html

http://classifieds.aol.com/listing/details.aspx?listingid=B4923802

Red Rose Tea! Red Rose Tea!

Jon

Voltron
10-24-2005, 11:12 PM
I want to agree but during the SB years Ralph was spending some serious cash. I don't think he is as much a tightwad as TD can never seem to bring himself to spend the money necessary for the talent. If he won't, some one else will, and they have been for over 4 years now.

AndreReed83
10-24-2005, 11:29 PM
So let me get this straight, your saying you want us to go back into salary cap jail just for a few high paid players who would want an arm and a leg who probably wouldn't come here in the first place because that's what your saying.

I said we need a guy that will overspend a little on necessary parts. Not like the Redskins who just buy every "superstar" free agent out there. Spend some money this time to bring in O-line help. Or we can get "good deals" and have what we have now.

Mudflap1
10-24-2005, 11:30 PM
It's pretty simple. Tom Donahoe is good at making the franchise profitable. That doesn't correlate to him putting a good product on the field though. He has been deft enough to fool everyone for a few years into believing the product will improve, but it isn't. As long as Ralph is making money and the team appears to be slowly trying to get better, Tom Donahoe is doing a good job in his eyes. However, it's becoming quite clear that Donahoe is content to use smoke and mirrors, point fingers, make excuses, and settle for a mediocre product.

We, as the fans, should not be content with this. We need to make some noise and let the owner know that if Tom Donahoe stays, we will boycott and/or be non-supportive and/or make a whole big stink about things.

Time for Tom Donahoe to go!

Jon

mysticsoto
10-25-2005, 08:11 AM
It's pretty simple. Tom Donahoe is good at making the franchise profitable. That doesn't correlate to him putting a good product on the field though. He has been deft enough to fool everyone for a few years into believing the product will improve, but it isn't. As long as Ralph is making money and the team appears to be slowly trying to get better, Tom Donahoe is doing a good job in his eyes. However, it's becoming quite clear that Donahoe is content to use smoke and mirrors, point fingers, make excuses, and settle for a mediocre product.

We, as the fans, should not be content with this. We need to make some noise and let the owner know that if Tom Donahoe stays, we will boycott and/or be non-supportive and/or make a whole big stink about things.

Time for Tom Donahoe to go!

Jon

Boycott??? Are you crazy? That's all we need - for the fans to look disloyal so upon Ralph's departure the team is instantly moved to another city...

No way! Atleast we have a football team to cheer and to go to the games...I'm not boycotting anything - and neither should anyone else. If you are pissed at TD, write letters to Ralph and let him know. But don't do anything that is going to hurt the team in the long run...

Michael82
10-25-2005, 08:38 AM
Boycott??? Are you crazy? That's all we need - for the fans to look disloyal so upon Ralph's departure the team is instantly moved to another city...

No way! Atleast we have a football team to cheer and to go to the games...I'm not boycotting anything - and neither should anyone else. If you are pissed at TD, write letters to Ralph and let him know. But don't do anything that is going to hurt the team in the long run...
Great post! :bf1:

Anyone that thinks boycotting would solve anything is a fool. That would just ship the team out of Buffalo faster than ever. :sigh:

Mudflap1
10-25-2005, 09:51 AM
First off, I said there were several choices, second off, you two have a lot of guts calling other people fools on this board.....

We need to make some noise. I never said to stop cheering for the Bills. But Wilson needs to somehow get the picture that if Donahoe stays, life isn't going to be as good, and if he goes (hoping that the next choice is at least marginally better), life will be better. He needs to know we are pissed off, and we aren't going to tolerate losing. Do you think the Ralph will be sold out/packed if we are 4-12 this year? Look at the schedule, it's not out of the realm of possibilities. We were led to believe this team was a playoff-caliber team. "Unfinished business", Losman was "ready to take us farther than Drew", stuff like that. If we have a losing record, Wilson needs to know that he still isn't going to make bank, and that a record like that is unacceptable. You guys are missing the point, as usual. If people stop going to the games for like 4 weeks, do you think Wilson is going to sell the team to somebody that is going to move them to Los Angeles overnight? Please. It would have to take years and years of no support, and we know that won't happen. What I'm suggesting is that if the record is terrible and people are pissed off about it, a message someway, somehow has to be delivered.

If you guys just want to get the pom poms out and put your necks in the sand while you blindly cheer Ralph Wilson, Tom Donahoe, and Mike Mularkey, go ahead, but don't expect a lot of us to join you. The fans have a right, and the fans have a voice.

Jon

justasportsfan
10-25-2005, 10:02 AM
"We will get this season turned around"

We shall see TD. If we don't you should be fired for coming up short all these years.

justasportsfan
10-25-2005, 10:03 AM
Anyone that thinks boycotting would solve anything is a fool. That would just ship the team out of Buffalo faster than ever. :sigh:but we could all have FIRE TD signs at the game no?

Mudflap1
10-25-2005, 10:07 AM
Exactly Justasportsfan! If we are unhappy with the losing and majorily agree that Donahoe is the problem (or at least a big part of the problem), we have to get creative and think of ways to deliver the message as the fans.

Jon

mysticsoto
10-25-2005, 10:25 AM
Exactly Justasportsfan! If we are unhappy with the losing and majorily agree that Donahoe is the problem (or at least a big part of the problem), we have to get creative and think of ways to deliver the message as the fans.

Jon

This position is different than what you stated in the previous post. I'm not exactly on the anti-TD side, but it is your right to want him fired and to deliver the message (as you say) to Ralph in creative ways that don't hurt the team/franchise itself.

I'm not sure who's available that people might want brought in though...

Michael82
10-25-2005, 10:44 AM
but we could all have FIRE TD signs at the game no?
Yeah, that works. :up:

Mudflap1
10-25-2005, 11:27 AM
Again, hypothetically (not saying we should do this or not), if the fans boycotted ONE game this season, the franchise would not move. Perhaps it's not the best strategy though.

A protest maybe? Anti-TD pep rally? How about a "Fire TD" chant at the next home game that resonates throughout the stadium? T-shirts? Stuff like that. The fans must be heard. Nobody is happy.

Jon

DynaPaul
10-25-2005, 11:55 AM
Anyone that thinks boycotting would solve anything is a fool. That would just ship the team out of Buffalo faster than ever. :sigh:

Call me a fool then. It's the only power we have as fans. Sure we can all go to the game with "Fire Tom!" signs but a punch in the wallet is much more severe.

Mudflap1
10-25-2005, 11:56 AM
That's the point I was trying to make. Thank you for getting it.

Jon

mysticsoto
10-25-2005, 12:00 PM
Call me a fool then. It's the only power we have as fans. Sure we can all go to the game with "Fire Tom!" signs but a punch in the wallet is much more severe.

Only power? Mudflap1 just named a few things you can do...writing letters to Ralph, broadcasting to the world with Fire TD T-shirts...you don't think they would make a mention of that on TV if a huge fan base all wore T-shirts that said that? It would definitely make the news and definitely get to Ralph's ears!!! You want TD fired? Bring a banner that says so and you and your buddies hold it up on home games - you will see that you will get noticed...boycotting is good when you have something else you can fall back on (competition)...but do you want to become a Giants/Jets fan...or perhaps a Cleveland or Pittsburgh fan? I know I don't.

Mudflap1
10-25-2005, 12:03 PM
Banner... good one. If we get enough of these, we should have a separate thread that talks about all of the things we can do as fans to have our voices heard, constructively.

Jon

Jeff1220
10-25-2005, 01:09 PM
My banner idea...use it as you wish:

DONAHOE
TIME TO GO

Then draw a pic of a hitchiking thumb or something like that.

Mudflap1
10-25-2005, 01:09 PM
I like it. Simple, but effective.

Jon

justasportsfan
10-25-2005, 01:16 PM
DONAHOE
TIME TO GO
Then draw a pic of a hitchiking thumb or something like that.

how bout' this?

http://canadianactors.info/leslie_nielsen_gagSHOP.jpg

Mudflap1
10-25-2005, 01:20 PM
LMAO!

Jon

Jeff1220
10-25-2005, 01:26 PM
how bout' this?
http://canadianactors.info/leslie_nielsen_gagSHOP.jpg

:lmao: